Avon Anew Platinum

Avon Anew Platinum

3.6

on 2/6/2017 1:41:00 AM

This is a very thick cream (almost like Lanolin). I don't know that there's anything much in the way of star ingredients that are going to address long term skin ageing concerns, nor reverse them. The 10th ingredient (in a list of 35) is cornstarch. Why would cornstarch be in a moisturiser? It seems like a complete contradiction - a mix of emollient ingredients that help moisturize, alongside one that absorbs moisture and is drying. That's not an ideal combination in a product meant to hydrate skin and make it look less wrinkled. Other than Shea Butter, Cornstarch and the usual array of chemicals there's a couple of oddball ingredients like Soapberry Fruit Extract and Pouzolzia Pentandra Extract (a genus of flowering plants in the nettle family). But nothing proven such as hyaluronic acid, retinols or antioxidants.

The 2 major problems with the eye creams made by Avon (& many other brands for that matter) are that Number 1: they all come packaged in a jar with a lid that opens. The reason this is problematic is that active ingredients are fragile and break down quickly once exposed to air. So your expensive eye cream may be active for the first day or two but quickly degrades after that. Within a few days you'll be using a product no more effective than Vaseline or the old Ponds Cold Cream. Add to that the bacteria you'll import every time you dip your fingers into the jar and any beneficial ingredients are going to start degrading from the first use. I assume, in an effort to counteract the bacteria issue, Avon have included a nifty little applicator (a heavy metal ball on the end of a handle that doubles as a scoop) which I quite liked but sadly it proved inefficient. The handle wasn't long enough so it was fiddly to hold. Also without the tactile sense of fingers and touch, even though the roller ball felt nice it was impossible to know whether the cream had been applied to all areas or whether you'd missed a spot. And lastly the handle/scoop is still going to introduce bacteria.

The second problem is that the first signs of facial ageing are almost always around the eyes and exacerbated by sun exposure. Why then do so few eye creams contain any sunscreen? Without sunscreen in your eye cream, again, you may as well be using Ponds (or nothing at all). You would be better off using your sunscreen-containing facial moisturiser around your eyes too (& ANY facial moisturiser can be used as an eye cream. Skin is skin wherever it's located. Just use sparingly, and don't use so much that it seeps into your eyes. And if it stings your eyes, then you might need to change your product because it will also be irritating your skin but you may not be able to feel it).

Believe it or not some of the most effective and advanced skincare today is made by Olay (particularly the Regenerist line). According to PC/Beautypedia "The products consistently contain adequate amounts of sun protection, proven cell-communicating ingredients, correct ph (which can either enhance or prevent active ingredients doing their job), don't have perfumes added (which irritate skin at a cellular level causing inflammation) so don't contain irritating ingredients like menthol, certain alcohols, camphor, lavender, geranium, limonene & citrus oils, eucalyptus, cinnamon, bergamot, witch hazel, arnica and ylang ylang". AND Olay's products are mostly in packaging designed to prevent degradation from both oxygen and light.
Anyway, just some things to consider before outlaying big dollars on your next eye treatment. :o)

on 11/25/2015 6:15:00 PM

I am 29 and have been using this line of products for over 2 years now. I live in a fairly dry climate, especially during the winter, and this cream is all I need to maintain a soft, healthy glow all year round. I have problematic combination skin and the day cream softens my dry areas and calms down the oily areas. Definitely will always buy again - it's never too late to worry about wrinkles!

This is a dual purpose product for use on your eyes and lips. It is super thick and has a strange (to me) smell. When applied to my lips but it doesnt absorb; it just sat there and felt thick and waxy. When applied around my eyes it, once again, it did not absorb yet once it dries it pills up and rolls off my face. I purchased this as part of a trial kit as the product on its own is very expensive ($45.00). I preserved for a month but in the end did not see any changes to my lines around my lips or eyes. While I love the little applicator, in the end I discarded they eye & lip cream plus all the other sample size bottles of the cleanser, day & night cream from the try it kit. For me this product was disappointing and big nay.

*.-~**`*~-.-Iamsherazade-,.-~**`*~-.*
continued >>

on 5/16/2012 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Thumbs up to Avon, what a pleasant surprise.
This is a thick & heavy duty & very moisturising cream, without the greasiness, without the shinyness, it must have silica & aluminum starch in it (the fine print on the ingredient list is hard to read even with the help of reading glass).
It has colouring agent in it, ever so small amount of white colour, since I put it on my pigmented lips, the natural reddish is being toned down to a pinkish colour but with a matte white almost powder on top.
In order words, I will put this on during the day, but not at night. I don't need the colouring agent on my skin during sleep. Since I went thru a lot of "procedure" this year, my skin is super dry, and this cream is a godsent for all over use. For some reason, this sells for $45 for a 15 gm. jar. But if you order the Platinum trial kit for $25, this gem comes with it ..... yeah, go figure.
I will definitely order a couple more of the Platinum kit, and this cream has a hint of melon smell added, cute glass jar and a nice applicator.

on 8/21/2012 12:25:00 PM

UPDATE: I've taken 1 lippie off because I think this may have caused an abnormally huge cyst! I recently broke out right below both of my eyes. I've never really had break outs here before, so my only conclusion is that this thick eyecream caused it. :( I don't recommend using this if you are breakout prone.

I turned 30 this year and noticed some fine lines around my mouth. In just a few days, the lines around my lips are almost gone. My lips look plump and youthful again.

I've also used this on my eyes, but very sparingly and only at night. It's too thick to use during the day for my skintype.

The product is very thick and creamy, so I barely tap my finger into the product and apply. It smells nice and doesn't take long to absorb into the skin.

Such an amazing product from Avon!

on 7/18/2011 1:14:00 AM

Listen up ladies!! I am writing this about the whole Anew Platinum regimen. I am 57, and use the Reversalist regimen. My 80 yr. old mother has used the Platinum regimen for 3 months and was thrilled when her girlfriends in her women's league started comlimenting her on her complexion. She;s been told that she has a "glow". looks rested, and even asked if she had had some secret "work" done! This line of products is specially formulated for ladies 60 and up. My mom felt that at 80 yrs. old, nothing would make much of a difference in her appearance. Now, she's stockpiling the products lest she run short. I highly recommend this regimen-it's never too late to improve one's appearance! Now, if I could just find her a a nice gentleman companion-LOL!!

on 3/21/2011 1:25:00 PM

I have not used this long enough for a full review yet, but so far I am impressed. On the whole I have been impressed with the entire Platinum line. I have used Avon skincare for years and they rarely let me down. I look a good ten years younger than I did prior to using it. I enjoy using the little metal roller that comes with it around my eyes and I enjoy using the other end for around my lip area. Will re-visit in a few weeks...

on 3/8/2011 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Really on the fence with this one! I decided to start a review since I cannot find any reviews on this product yet. It is a new product but samples/trial sizes are out. I just got mine and have just started to use it so I will update this product in about 2 weeks are so. The very first thing I noticed about this cream is how thick it is. I do like that because that means it will stay where you put it, and not migrate into the eyes as easily. The second thing I noticed was the delicate smell, not bad at all. Lastly, about an hour later, maybe less, is the balling up, or graining up of the material around my eyes! Some great creams do this due to whatever the heck is in the ingredients, and they still give awesome results. Annoying but awesome. Since this is on and around so close to my eyeballs, I am worried about fall out getting into my eyes. I have been sweeping the grains away quickly when I notice the cream has done that and so far it has not been much of a problem.
I have not been using this cream long enough to say if it makes a difference, like I said, but I did want to get this info out there for those interested in this very spendy product. You may want to buy a trial size, or get a few samples first to see if it is something you are willing to deal with in order to see if it really makes a difference in the wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness, etc. I can handle about any residue if this stuff actually works! ;-)
I will update later on and may change my rating if I find it is needed. Right now, I am guessing at an overall rating, gave it a 4 due to fall out. Gave it a 5 on price because it is Avon, I find it is to me a lot.
Gave it a 3 on packaging because it is a jar but I always use a small scoop with a jar, not my fingers. ;-)
I said yes on buying it again, because if it works, dang right I will be buying as big a jar as I can get, regardless of any fall out. I will just be more careful and watch for any falling balls. LOL
Oh & BTW, I only used a tiny bit on each eye as that is all there is in one small sample. So I do not think the fall out is from using too much. ;-)