Unrefined Shea Butter

4.3

butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I use it as a face treatment,once or twice a week after pilling or cleansing mask I apply it thickly on my face before going to bed.In the morning after I wash my face skin looks beautiful.It's not as melting or liquid like as coconut oil,so when I tried to apply it to my hair it was just kinda sticky and gross.Also I do not like that nuts/dirt like smell.I find this to work better on my face than any oil so far (coconu,almond,olive...),but for my hair I'll stick to avocado and coconut oil.If you're looking for "all around oil/butter" I would recommend coconut oil.

I used to use loccitane's refined shea butter. It was great but I wanted to try the unrefined shea butter last year.

Compare to the refined shea butter, The unrefined shea butter's texture is a lot thicker. Color is yellowish grey. It Melts a little slower with body temperature. Smells slightly different. I prefer the unrefined shea butter, because it is Very cheap on internet and provides longer moisturizing effect.

How to use: firstly I melt this on my nose (!) and spread it on top of other moisturizers. The purpose of using oil is to cease the moisture loss, therefore I prefer to use at the end.

Previously, I used - pure argan oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, avocado oil, soy bean oil etc. All of them caused me acne or pimple... However this has been very safe for me especially around my eyes - no milia :-)

Shea butter is rated 'Best' on beautypedia and i have noticed it is the second ingredient on paula choice's Resist eye cream.

To Read all 21 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is amazing stuff. I have very dry & sensitive skin. I apply lotion every time I wash my hands or shower. My hands can still crack. Shea butter is amazing. I apply to my hands, elbows & feet at night & they look & feel amazing. Soft & soothed. I use this on my face over a lotion a few nights a week. Every night would be too much. Under makeup this is just too greasy & heavy. I make a lip balm using this, a hair butter, body butter & more.
It's amazing on my two year old eczema. I keep this on the dry patches. It keeps her skin moist & soothes the irritation.
I have tried refined shea butter & it's just not the same. I dont mind the smell or texture of raw, unrefined.
I love this stuff. I always have some on hand. I order off amazon or eBay. Most is located on the east coast.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Edit- amazing addition to a diy henna gloss, makes hair stronger!
I have been using this for several months. It is yellow (see Jostylin's video on youtube on the topic, to find out why yellow shea butter is not bad but possibly even slightly more beneficial than the usual), 100% raw/unrefined, from Ghana. It was quite inexpensive for a big tub, and I am not even halfway through, not even close!

I use it everywhere, it is very moisturizing and makes any ordinary moisturizer or body lotion way more potent! I wouldn't use it alone, only because it seems to really work its magic when combined with other ingredients. For example, using it around eyes along with a moisturizer makes the skin around the eyes very smooth, moisturized, than the moisturizer or cream would have left it alone.

It takes away itchiness/redness from pregnancy. I like it combined with hempseed oil or rosehip oil, or grapeseed (or a combination) to soothe skin, too. It also helps my son with the occasional diaper rash. Works very quickly.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

From what I've seen, people either absolutely love unrefined shea butter, or they hate it. I, very fortunately, fall into the former camp.

I picked up a whole tub of unrefined shea from an old African lady at my neighborhood's street fair. She scooped it right from the shell it was in, put it in a plastic take-out container and sold it to me for $5 (!!). Dirt cheap.

I was originally going to use it for my feet, knees, elbows, or winter dry skin. I don't really remember how I transitioned from using it sparingly to slathering a thick layer all over my face but I'm glad I did.

For reference my face is awful. It's oily and my pores are almost always clogged with sebum, no matter how I wash, what I wash with, how frequently or infrequently I wash. At the same time it doesn't slough properly so I'm prone to dry flakes. I'm acne prone, extremely sensitive (break out from literally every product), I suffer from hormonal acne that more often than not are cystic in nature.

For whatever reason, one night I used shea butter on my face and I haven't looked back. It mimics the sebum of the face so my pores are NEVER clogged anymore. It's shocking that I can put such a thick layer of this butter on my face and wake up with glowing skin, not one blemish. The flakes are probably 80% reduced.

I wash my face with a salicylic cleaner and then take a dime sized amount, warm it up in my hands, and then spread over my face. I've been doing this for about 3 months now and it hasn't broken me out at all.

The only negative is that I was already sensitive to all but one type of lotion you find in the store. In the summer I use Eucerin with SPF. A week ago I used the Eucerin and within 6 hours I had 4 major cysts that had formed on my jawline.

Seems as if using all natural Shea has detoxed my face from all the chemicals I was using and now I literally can't use ANYTHING than the shea now. I guess this really isn't a negative, but not sure what's going to happen come summertime.

My friend tried this butter too and she broke out. Depends on your skin for sure.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Unrefined Shea butter is a staple for me. I use it in my DIY eye cream and DIY cuticle and hand moisturizer.

As a rich eye cream and cuticle balm I mix unrefined Shea butter with maracuja oil and a few drops of vitamin E oil. I use this concoction on my neck during dry winter as well. To be honest, this DIY balm has been more effective at keeping my under eye area line free than a lot of HE eye creams that I have tried (Guinot, Khiels, Clinique). Most heavy oils such as rose hip and Vaseline gives me milia but shea butter and a light oil mixed together do not. HG.

Also makes a great body butter when whipped in a 1:1 ratio with an oil of choice and a small amount of beeswax.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Oh shea butter where have you been all my life and why did it take so long for me to realize you are my perfect moisturizer. I have Combo, break out prone, sensitive skin. The only time my skin stays clear is when I don't use moisturizer and not eat dairy. The dairy part is easy but when you are 41 and getting wrinkles you need moisture!! So in comes Shea butter. I discovered this after getting accidentally burned by hot glue. I prefer not to use Mineral oil based products as I believe that anything we put on our skin is absorbed by the body so I stick with natural products for everything. Since going natural with all personal products, my thyroid and endocrine problems have almost disappeared. The thing that was missing was a good face moisturizer especially in the cold months. I bought shea for my hot glue burn and ended up trying it on my face for dry patches and under my eyes. I'm amazed. No breakouts, no clogged pores just soft smooth skin. I've tried eveything from coconut oil, jojoba and even Hemp (Which I do love too but it's a dry oil).

How I use. I use Thayers Alcohol free witch hazel after washing my face with a a natural soap. The Witch hazel imparts moisture and the shea butter on top seals it in. Shea is more of a skin conditioner, not a heavy moisturizer. I also am using it on my hair on the dry ends and to smooth it down after washing. A tiny bit warmed in your hand and run it through damp hair calms the frizzies and seal in the water. You are not going to get moisture from it but it seals in moisturizer like a sealant. My Colored aging hair thanks Shea Butter!!!

Am experimenting/trialling individual ingredients for facial skincare and it is becoming quite clear that I cant tolerate butters: coconut, cacao and now shea are causing fairly obvious breakouts.

I did my research and bought the best I could find in my online market (UK): unrefined, organic, raw cold pressed and fair trade.

I was hoping to use as part of a day moisturiser as shea is reputed to have a natural spf.

It melted easily in the warmth of my palms and was a bit pungent, but I'm ok with a strong smell if the benefits are there!

Next morning; the undisputable evidence: small pink pimples on forehead and cheek and a larger, hard, vocano type which is growing larger even though I have stopped using and has been joined by another.

As with another re

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Well this is my first review on here and I'm glad to start with something that I love so much. Shea butter is amazing, I've suffered with acne prone skin since puberty and that's left me with skin scarring.
Being able to find something that moisturize and heals my skin, is multi-purpose, affordable and organic boarders on phenomenal for me. I highly recommend trying it, I love using it on my face, my body, my feet, my lips, my hair and even on my nails. This and African black soap are my beauty staples. Make sure you get the unrefined shea butter to get the truth benefit of it.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely adore unnrefined shea butter. My son (now 7) has had mild eczema since he was a baby. The flare ups would get worse during the winter months. His pediatricain recommended Aveenow which did nothing for him. During a trip to NYC, I visited Harlem and a West African lady suggested that I used this along with African black soap. I have not looked back. I use a small amount on him twice daily and he has no traces of dry skin whatsoever. I have found that it is easier to use when melted into an oil. I zap it in the microwive for a few minutes and it easily turnes into a manageable oil. I also use the oil on my face after exfoliating and my skin glows and I have seen a noticeble difference on some old acne scars. It is also perfect for an after bath moisturizer.