Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque

3.5

Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Argan Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B‐5), Essential Oil Blend, Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract, Soybean Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil. *Denotes Certified Organic Ingredient.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I love this! I apply it generously and leave it on for about 5 minutes. My hair feels healthy, conditioned, and smooth, it doesn't weigh it down one bit which I really love. I think it's perfect on my hair, I blowdry and flat iron regularly for reference. It has a natural Shea butter scent.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

Dried my hair out! This is the third product I've tried from this brand and I'm not purchasing again. My hair is always hard and dry after use. Never again I'll trust Shea Moisture!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this on and off for years. I don't know why I don't use it consistently. It always brings my hair back to life and gives it volume. I shampoo, put the mask on, leave it in for 30 mins or more, rinse out with shampoo and condition. It works even better when i use it with hot water on a towel wrapped around my head.

I bought this product after doing very extensive research on Shea Moisture's entire line of hair masques. Though this one had the lowest reviews, I decided to give it a chance since this masque's ingredient list is the closest to truly being all-natural– I'm big into natural hair & body care, and even though Shea Moisture's products are about as close as you can get to being truly natural, there are still "natural" derivatives, fatty alcohols, etc. in many of their products, which I was trying to avoid.

With that being said I'm a little confused how this actually managed to dry my hair out. I had assumed, especially after reading other reviews, that this would be too heavy or greasy on my hair, but it was actually the opposite. I have straight, average thickness, high density hair that isn't ethnic, and although it is long I usually don't have problems with dryness at my ends. Usually all it takes to keep my hair happy is Shea Moisture's African Water Mint & Ginger shampoo about once a week, followed by a little argan oil to condition the ends, so I'd just expected a little moisture boost when using this masque. My first time trying it out, I applied it exactly as the packaging said, and left it on for ~15 min while I shaved. Then I rinsed & shampooed, figuring that it would probably be too oily, but when I got out of the shower my hair felt really stiff and was super tangly. I worked through it & blow dried, and after I brushed it out (with some difficulty), my hair looked gorgeous, felt super soft, and was so shiny. However, about halfway through the day I had to go back through my hair with a brush because it'd become knotted and puffy, which is something my hair never does. I thought it was weird, but chalked it up to the fact that I'd shampooed and decided to try it differently next time.

Next week I tried it again, but on dirty hair that I hadn't washed in about four days, so there was definitely oil in my hair but not enough to make it greasy. Again I followed the masque's instructions, left it on for maybe 10 mins, and then rinsed without washing. When I tried to style it this time, I was even worse! SO knotty and tangled I couldn't even comprehend it. After considerable difficulty I styled it, but my hair was so dry that it seemed to emphasizing the appearance of my breakage, and it looked so distressed that I got right back in the shower, shampooed and applied twice the amount of argan oil that I usually do to smooth it out.

I give this product two stars because it did give me a really pretty shine, and when it wasn't tangled it did have a good feeling to it. That said, I'm definitely returning it. When I'm shopping for a hair mask, I'm really not looking for something to dry my hair out.

on 12/25/2016 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I put that I would repurchase this product because I happily used an entire tub and may repurchase in the future. However, I'd rather try other deep conditioners and perhaps come back to this one if needed.

I have already tried MANY deep conditioners: Joico, Biolage, and Sebastian, off the top of my head. Out of everything I've tried, I loved Living Proof Restore the absolute best, but it retails for $40 and I wanted to try cheaper alternatives.

This is a great product. I have lots of long, fine, wavy/curly hair. I put this on damp hair, on the bottom 1/4 of my hair, then twist my hair up and leave it in for as long as I can. I wash my hair at night, so I've never left it in as long as overnight. I wash and condition my hair as usual, then let it air dry. I notice a little more moisture and bounce when I use this product. I wash my hair about every other day, and this didn't weigh my hair down when I tried using it right before each wash.

I would say it works better than any high-end deep conditioner I've tried, except for the Living Proof Restore. It is thick, lightly scented, and lasted me for months with weekly use.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have medium lenght, wavy, bleached blonde hair. I dyed my hair from black box dye, to a nice, warm blonde shade in one go. I used Olaplex, but i still found that my hair was left really damaged and dry. At this time, I also decided to skip out on sulfates and silicones, which is why i bought this hair masque. I used it a couple of times, and I didn't really notice any difference in my hair, but I continued using it just for the sake of it. Recently, there has been a huge change in the way my hair feels. It is so soft, and when it's freshly washed you can barely see the damage. It is all thanks to this little guy. I think this hair treatment works better the longer you use it. I can feel my hair getting better and better every time I use it. Now, one thing I have noticed is that it is way more effective if applied on dry hair rather than wet.
I actually really like the texture. It feels and looks kind of like a body lotion, which is different from all the other hair masks I have tried. The smell is also pleasant, but not my favorite. I've seen some of the other reviews being very negative, and I cannot understand why my hair reacts so different than everyone elses. For reference, my hair is bleached, not thin but not thick, wavy/curly and (was) very dry.

on 11/12/2016 1:10:00 PM

This product is advertised for dry, damaged hair. It made my highlighted hair feel gummy, snarly and drier than ever. AVOID THIS PRODUCT.

on 10/1/2016 11:35:00 PM

This product seems to make my fine, wavy, (with 10% coarse gray crazy hair) drier, crunchy almost. I try to avoid silicones because of my sensitivities to them so I appreciate that Shea Moisture has a number of options. I just can't find one that works on my hair!

on 8/30/2016 11:09:00 PM

I don't like this conditioner at all, it has no slip and it even feels dry when I touch it. I could tell when i rinsed this out of my hair that it was going to make my hair dry. This made my hair so dry that i considered rewashing it and using my usual conditioner (Aussie moist) but I decided to just douse my hair with leave in conditioner to restore the moisture and make my hair soft and still my hair was hard and dry from this stuff. It also made my scalp itch so bad that i had to take benedryl.

This is a horrible product. Save your money this products does absolutely nothing for natural hair. I will not repurchase, i threw it in the trash. Waste of money.

on 6/15/2016 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I use this product for deep conditioning, the smell is 'encouraging'. The consistency is perfect but the results are just a little above average in my opinion. Maybe i expected more from previous reviews on you-tube :) I haven't seen the moisturizing effect in my hair especially after protective styling.
It could be the weave has sucked too much lustre from the hair or the product isn't penetrating my 4C hair shaft enough.

Popular Hair Treatments