NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 1image 2image 3

3.3

on 8/8/2016 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Bought this the day before a weekend long convention and tested it out while I was there. I've used both the NYX Proof It Primer and the NYX HD Primer (both great for and eye and brow primer) so this was my first time trying something that was an eyeshadow base that wasn't a liquid (like the Essence I Love Stage Base).
I applied it with a brush and lightly blended it up over the crease with my fingers before brushing over a layer of light matte shadow to 'set' it. (sometimes shadows can be difficult to blend out over a base or primer since it can adhere to it quickly)
Very pleased with, i wore all mattes one day and shimmers the next and there was no wear down or creasing on the shadows after having it on for a good 4-5 hours in the heat (and on very oily lids) and overall my eyeshadow and liner stayed in place, and vibrant. I didn't have a problem with it in regards to scent or wear and I really enjoy this product! It's probably going to be a new go to for eyeshadows.

on 6/24/2016 6:38:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I gave this product a fighting chance. I tried wearing it alone with just eyeliner, with one eyeshadow, and with full eyemakeup. I was strapped for cash a few months ago and couldn't afford purchasing UD's Primer Potion so I decided to try a drugstore brand....

Big mistake. This product cost over 10 dollars at Rexall in Canada. Ugh. An extra 10 dollars saved and I could've purchased an eyeshadow primer at Sephora but I needed a base right away. Anyway, 10+ dollars for the product is ridiculous because it doesn't work! My eyeshadow stayed in place for maybe two hours. After that? It creased so badly that I looked absolutely ridiculous! I was furious.

The only saving grace of this product is the packaging. I like the little container in comes in. It is easy to use and you don't use or waste too much product as a result. Other than that? I wish I could give this product a big fat ZERO...

To Read all 156 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/7/2016 5:43:00 PM

First off I'd like to say this product STINKS, like literally! Has a gross perfumery smell reminiscent of old lady makeup - yuk. Now in my opinion eyelid treatments should never be scented, regardless of how the product performs in the short term it just makes me feel I might be doing long term damage to one of the more sensitive skin areas. Aside from that, it is a great color match, decent coverage and longevity. I tried it with a cream eyeshadow and naturally it creased but works just fine with powder applications. I probably won't buy this again because of the smell.

on 3/25/2016 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

To settle the base vs primer argument, this is what their website says "it creates a smooth canvas for color, increases its durability, and prevents fallout." To me, this description means that it is intended for both. Besides, cosmetic companies like to change up names and invent new categories, to increase marketability and sales. As for my experience with the product, I bought this because I wanted a cheap dupe for Mac Paint Pots, which Ive been using as a primer. While the NYX skintone color is a better match for my NC30 skin compared to the Soft Ochre Ive been using, I like the staying power of paint pots better. This is easy to blend with fingers because it is emollient and does not accentuate lines but because of its emollient base, I feel it has less staying power compared to Mac paint pot. It lasts until the early evening, after which more touch up would be needed. All in all, it's a good basic drugstore primer but Id rather spend the extra $ for Mac paint pots.

on 2/27/2016 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I don't have particularly oily lids, so much so, that unless I am going out, I rarely ever wear eyeshadow primer even though I wear eyeshadow daily.

With that being said, I use this when going out just to give my eyeshadows that extra oomph, since I mainly wear skin tones and neutrals on a daily basis and tend to do something a little different on nights out.

I use my finger and just rub it on my eyelid area. I don't notice any creasing, I get very smooth results and my eyeshadows are pigmented and last all day.

Overall, I've had a good experience with this. I would recommend if you don't have oily lids or lids with lots of creases in them.

on 1/14/2016 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I wanted to like this. i really did. I tried different ways of applying it and kept saying "i'll give this another chance". Like a lot of other reviewers said, this just isn't for oily skin. I feel like I could use coconut oil for an eyeshadow base and get the same effect that this gives me. It creases, doesn't last, and doesn't blend out well. I'm going back to shadow insurance.

on 1/8/2016 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Creased on my lids. Will go back to Milani's Eyeshadow Primer.

I love: the color, the ease of application, the wear time (up to 12 hours on me!), the price. the only criticism I have is to have a more sturdy lid.

on 11/20/2015 8:14:00 PM

I wanted to like this because it would save me from buying more expensive eyeshadow primers, but alas. :(

I'd say this product keeps my eyeshadow in place and creaseless for about 5-6 hours or so? It does not keep my eyeshadow in place for a full day (12+ hrs) of wear, which is what I need for it to keep my eye makeup lasting through my work day. I will use this product if I'm just needing to keep my eyeshadow looking nice for a brief evening out, like to dinner or a movie, that sort of thing. But I will not be repurchasing this after I use up what I have, because I want a product that will work all day.

on 11/4/2015 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely love this product, so you'd understand my surprise on the amount of negative reviews this had. I'm a NC35, very oily and absurdly pigmented eyelids. This concealer cancels out the pigmentation like. a. dream. The Mac Paint Points in Soft Ochre makes my pigmented look grey and not attractive at all. For staying power and creasing, I have hooded eyelids so creasing is always an issue... but this does a wonderful job keeping the shadows intact and it lasts a very very long time! I would pay more for this than its actual price. If you're considering to purchase this product, I'd say you should give it a go!