NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone
Eyeshadow Base in Skin ToneEyeshadow Base in Skin ToneEyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

3.3

on 12/2/2016 7:41:00 PM

This has been a good, price effective eye primer for me. It's a perfect match for my NC35 skin tone. I don't feel like this does much for the longevity of my eyeshadow, it pretty much lasts the same as always, though I don't use low quality eyeshadow so they do fine with or without primer. I notice a slight difference in color pay off, as in it's a little bit better when I use the NYX eye primer. Again most eyeshadows I use perform well on their own. The coolest thing I notice is how this primer seems to smooth out everything, like the reviewer below me stated. I can definitely see this working as a great primer to a concealer. It really helps with creasing. Took one lippy off because it's pilled up on me once or twice when I blended it in a rush. I wouldn't use it if you have oily skin either. But it's a very nice consistency and great blendable color for many skin tones. I like it.

on 11/9/2016 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This was a great little find. This eyeshadow “base” is not really a primer. It really is used more to even out the lid (if you are using the skin tone one) and creates a smooth surface for your shadow. I think this is an unnecessary step for most people. However, I found a great use for this product. I use it all over my lid –from lash line to brow- the inner corner of my eye and under my eye. I found that when I use it under my eye is smoothies out that area and keeps it hydrated as well. So when I put on my concealer the eye area looks totally smooth. It gets rid of that wrinkly area in the under-eye inner corner and it fills in the shallow lines in the outer corners as well so I get a much smoother, younger looking eye throughout the day. Now, the down side of using this product is that my concealer does not last as long which means that I have to reapply concealer around 2pm-3pm. But (and this is a big one for me) even when I add more concealer, the eye area is still hydrated and smooth, so it does not look like I am caking on concealer. I find that using this base under my eye has really changed the way my overall make-up looks. Because no matter how great your makeup looks on the rest of your face, if it is all dry and cakey under your eyes, the overall look is just yuk. So, despite the hassle of adding concealer mid-day, I am really loving this product. This product comes in a little pot, but I wish it was in a tube instead, so the packaging is not the best. I took off one lippie for the packaging. It does glide on very easily so it does not require tugging or excessive rubbing to apply. I first apply my moisturizer. Then my foundation, then this base. It does not need to “set” like a primer so you can proceed with shadow right away. After that I add my concealer and setting powder. I have sensitive skin, so I will give a new product a few weeks to see if I get a reaction. I have been using this for a little over 2 weeks no, and I have had no reaction or any irritation of any kind. (Of course, if that changes I will update my review). The base sells for about $7 USD anywhere NYX is sold. It comes in this skin tone one that I am using, but it also comes in white and a pearl color. I have not tried those. The skin tone looks dark in the pot but it goes on sheer, so it should work for any skin tone.

on 10/23/2016 7:56:00 PM

I gave this product a fighting chance. I honestly did!

Note: Keep in mind when reading my review that I have oily, hooded lids. If you're not that unfortunate you may have a better experience.

To begin, yes, I know this isn't a "primer" it's a "base". But what good is an eyeshadow base it if makes your shadows look nice, but also promptly causes it to slide off your lids? So I do believe it is meant to keep things in place as well.

When I first started using this, I didn't like it because my shadows creased badly and too quickly. I used it for a while before putting it aside to instead use only foundation or concealer as my base/primer.
Fast forward a bit, and I decided to give it another go. For a while I thought I could make it work with some effort. I applied a very small amount, blended it well, let it 'dry' a bit while doing my face makeup, then set it with powder before putting on my shadows. It still creased, but I thought perhaps it wasn't creasing quite as quickly as it did before.

On the day I gave up on this product entirely, I checked my reflection in the mirror midday and realized my eyeshadow had pretty much entirely vanished, except what had migrated into the crease of my eye. The extra work to make it last a little longer is just too much for me (I'm a working mom of two very young children and I'm not the only one I have to get ready to leave the house in the morning) given the fact that it still doesn't really do what I want it to do, so it's going in the trash and I'm going back to just plain foundation or concealer on my lids as primer.

on 8/8/2016 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Bought this the day before a weekend long convention and tested it out while I was there. I've used both the NYX Proof It Primer and the NYX HD Primer (both great for and eye and brow primer) so this was my first time trying something that was an eyeshadow base that wasn't a liquid (like the Essence I Love Stage Base).
I applied it with a brush and lightly blended it up over the crease with my fingers before brushing over a layer of light matte shadow to 'set' it. (sometimes shadows can be difficult to blend out over a base or primer since it can adhere to it quickly)
Very pleased with, i wore all mattes one day and shimmers the next and there was no wear down or creasing on the shadows after having it on for a good 4-5 hours in the heat (and on very oily lids) and overall my eyeshadow and liner stayed in place, and vibrant. I didn't have a problem with it in regards to scent or wear and I really enjoy this product! It's probably going to be a new go to for eyeshadows.

on 6/24/2016 6:38:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I gave this product a fighting chance. I tried wearing it alone with just eyeliner, with one eyeshadow, and with full eyemakeup. I was strapped for cash a few months ago and couldn't afford purchasing UD's Primer Potion so I decided to try a drugstore brand....

Big mistake. This product cost over 10 dollars at Rexall in Canada. Ugh. An extra 10 dollars saved and I could've purchased an eyeshadow primer at Sephora but I needed a base right away. Anyway, 10+ dollars for the product is ridiculous because it doesn't work! My eyeshadow stayed in place for maybe two hours. After that? It creased so badly that I looked absolutely ridiculous! I was furious.

The only saving grace of this product is the packaging. I like the little container in comes in. It is easy to use and you don't use or waste too much product as a result. Other than that? I wish I could give this product a big fat ZERO...

on 6/7/2016 5:43:00 PM

First off I'd like to say this product STINKS, like literally! Has a gross perfumery smell reminiscent of old lady makeup - yuk. Now in my opinion eyelid treatments should never be scented, regardless of how the product performs in the short term it just makes me feel I might be doing long term damage to one of the more sensitive skin areas. Aside from that, it is a great color match, decent coverage and longevity. I tried it with a cream eyeshadow and naturally it creased but works just fine with powder applications. I probably won't buy this again because of the smell.

on 3/25/2016 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

To settle the base vs primer argument, this is what their website says "it creates a smooth canvas for color, increases its durability, and prevents fallout." To me, this description means that it is intended for both. Besides, cosmetic companies like to change up names and invent new categories, to increase marketability and sales. As for my experience with the product, I bought this because I wanted a cheap dupe for Mac Paint Pots, which Ive been using as a primer. While the NYX skintone color is a better match for my NC30 skin compared to the Soft Ochre Ive been using, I like the staying power of paint pots better. This is easy to blend with fingers because it is emollient and does not accentuate lines but because of its emollient base, I feel it has less staying power compared to Mac paint pot. It lasts until the early evening, after which more touch up would be needed. All in all, it's a good basic drugstore primer but Id rather spend the extra $ for Mac paint pots.

on 2/27/2016 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I don't have particularly oily lids, so much so, that unless I am going out, I rarely ever wear eyeshadow primer even though I wear eyeshadow daily.

With that being said, I use this when going out just to give my eyeshadows that extra oomph, since I mainly wear skin tones and neutrals on a daily basis and tend to do something a little different on nights out.

I use my finger and just rub it on my eyelid area. I don't notice any creasing, I get very smooth results and my eyeshadows are pigmented and last all day.

Overall, I've had a good experience with this. I would recommend if you don't have oily lids or lids with lots of creases in them.

on 1/14/2016 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I wanted to like this. i really did. I tried different ways of applying it and kept saying "i'll give this another chance". Like a lot of other reviewers said, this just isn't for oily skin. I feel like I could use coconut oil for an eyeshadow base and get the same effect that this gives me. It creases, doesn't last, and doesn't blend out well. I'm going back to shadow insurance.

on 1/8/2016 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Creased on my lids. Will go back to Milani's Eyeshadow Primer.