Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus SPF 30

Filtered by age: 36-43

3.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A coworker sells Avon and I needed some bugspray with SPF abnyway so for $7.99 (usually it's $9.99, I think) I got the 4 oz. aerosol can of this.

Unscented - so it smells neutral (like propellant??) to me and so far it seems to be working.

I will update my review once we go to the beach.

Does not work! I totally got eaten alive by bugs!

I purchased this for the first time a few years ago, when my then-baby's sensitive skin couldn't handle any other sunscreen (besides Clarins, which is sadly too expensive for us). I liked the fact that, in addition to a good SPF factor, this contained protection from bugs as well.

I've been using it on my kids (now ages 3 and 6) with absolutely no complaints. Initially, I bought the "Cool Blue" style, but honestly, it makes a terrible mess and smells sickly sweet. The regular style (white bottle with orange cap) is fine. It's very easy to put on a good layer of it. You do have to be careful (as with any other product) to avoid getting it into eyes (last summer my then-two-year-old kept rubbing it into them by accident and he'd be miserable). However, I can honestly say my kids have (a) never had a negative skin reaction to it, and (b) have never gotten sunburnt or bug-bitten while wearing it.

I do advise (as with any other sun product) reapplication after swimming and/or a long period of time in the sun. But this product holds up really well to my active boys, and the price is really reasonable. The tube looks small but lasts quite some time. I tend to purchase four tubes in May and they usually last me for most of the summer (I keep one or two at home, one in the diaper bag, etc.).

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

LOVE THIS STUFF!!!! It comes in a pump or a spray can. You can get it super cheap on sale. I use the can with the kids at school and it is not greasy at all. Perfect and easy. The pump I use on my own varmints at home at at the pool. It is oily like the SSS oil, but it stays on very well and has a pleasent scent. This is the best stuff ever. If the pump is too greasy try the can.......

I'm sure as far as SPF goes this will protect your skin, but I could not get past the greasy, sticky feel. I couldn't bear to use it more than twice, and gave it away to a friend.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I never understood why Avon sold a bug guard/sun protection combo until I went South on vacation! In Ohio, it's not a problem that we contend with at the same time!

This may be fine for bug guard, but for sun protection, it does not work! The day I used this, I burned my skin so bad it blistered and peeled! And this was supposed to be SPF 30. I used Coppertone 15 all the other days with no problems at all!!! Girls, don't count on this for sun protection!! It is bad. Also, the container leaked blue sticky gel/lotion all over my bag and dissolved part of the vinyl lining. Very bad experience. I usually like Avon, but now I'm hoping this isn't representative of all their products!

I threw it away!