Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.9

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I wanted dark brown hair and choose the medium golden brown and used the sensitive scalp volume 10 developer. My hair feels soft, the color is just the right dark brown I wanted, and the color has depth and vibrancy.

on 8/19/2015 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I initially liked this line. The formulas didn't feel damaging on my fragile hair, and they are DEFINITELY way better than the average boxed dye you'd get from the drugstore. ION has always been a hit with me in the haircare department, I figured the demi dyes would be created equally.

However, I won't be repurchasing this now that I've found my "holy grail" toner (Wella Liquid Permanent Toner). There were a few dealbreakers with ION that made the choice easy:

1.) The colors turn out darker than the demonstration strands at Sallys...easily. Meaning the color that is depicted by ION, is not completely accurate. I wasn't the only one that had this issue, either. When I looked into it, I was shocked to find many others have ran into the same issue.

2.) The dye grabs unevenly. Even while using a protein filler. And then over time, it fades unevenly. To be fair - this happened with a lot of the lesser quality dyes I've tried. But my "holy grail" toner never does this to me. After a hair mistake from the pits of hell when switching to a powder lightener, I had to wear my hair up for almost a year. Not just because the lightener reeked havoc on my hair's health, but because the color was soooo patchy. I tried and tried to fix it, never realizing that ION was part of the problem.

3.) If you're going to go the ION route - save yourself some hassle and buy the liquid formula. The gel formula is harder to wash out, harder to spread/apply, and you run a way bigger risk of it over-darkening due to not being to wash it out in time.
---------------------------
Edited to add: Just so we're clear - you do not *have* to use an ION Developer. They all contain the same active ingredients, instructing you to use an ION developer with this is nothing more than a marketing scheme. I personally recommend the Blond Brilliance Developer in volume 5 (lowest % available at Sally Beauty). Demis are intended to deposit color only............using a higher volume means using more peroxide. In turn, you are further damaging your hair. I use the Blond Brilliance developer with all my hair dyes. (Just don't touch their powder lightener.... :( )

on 5/14/2015 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

For years I had been doing my hair with permanent color from the drugstore. Usually Garnier Nutrisse or Revlon Colorsilk. Since I got my hair cut short and its in such great shape, I decided to try a demi permanent color from Sallys. I was hoping this would cause less damage to my hair.
I had medium golden brown hair to start and I bought 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) in Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Color. I mixed it with Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer in a 1:2 ratio and let it sit on my hair 25 minutes. The results were dark brown hair with a touch of red. I deliberately chose two shades lighter than the color I wanted and it still came out too dark. The color isn't bad with my complexion but its not what I hoped to achieve. I wanted a medium reddish brown color. The good thing is this demi permanent color and will wash out in about a month's time.
There were a few good things about this product. It was easy to apply, very gentle on my hair,didn't burn my scalp and the color came out a very rich dark brown and shiny. Next time I will try a lighter color.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ok gang, I initially had a list of pros and cons and gave this line from Ion a not-so-nice review but have since changed my tune.

I will say this first; this demi color (as with any dye) will vary in result based off your beginning color, hair health, and application. Duh. Ok that being said, I have had a recent awesome result but previously not very awesome results and while I may veer away from blaming of thyself (i.e. unlikely expectations and lack of knowledge) it is also my nonprofessional and trial with [extreme] error experience that the lighter colors in this line [blondes, light browns, lighter reds] don't tend to yield best results.

Again, I am a salon and stylist of my bathroom therefore all of my conclusions are drawn from common sense and personal experience

Moving on...
I recently had light brown hair with highlights. The orange/red undertones kept rearing their ugly head so I decided Fuck It, let's go with that. Well sort of. Mixed 3rv [labeled as Idk what; reddish brown violet] 10.volume developer and ions type for olaplex additive.
Left on for 25 minutes, rinsed and hair was very dark nearly black but with a nice burgundy tint.
After a couple of washes, now have this gorgeous dark red/deep burgundy color. Highlighted hair obviously lighter but still holding color giving a well blended effect.
What impressed me most was the quality my hair was left in. Glossy, voluminous, soft, tangle free. And I know this isn't the olaplex dupe because I use that in conjunction with wella or loreal and it's still dry and brittle.
No, my hair is actually better altering coloring. And it is beautiful.

Being fair skinned and naturally a ginger- tho who knows at this point- the dark red looks fantastic and I've gotten many a compliment.

Now, this positivity train does make a couple unpleasant stops. The color is still rinsing out hence pink water, stained pillowcases, And fear for potential rainy days and the whole Bleeding From My Scalp look which may put some people off.
However, I'll take it.
I would not switch from this color. Which is saying a lot since I'm a habitual changer of products

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I absolutely love ion demi permanents! The color selection is fantastic. I like to use them on clients (and myself!) for lowlights in blonde hair. I've tried basically all of them. The best are the cream demis. A personal favourite is the 6W (it's a warm red blonde); it turns out to be a darker auburn color but is so beautiful.
These hair colors tend to fade quickly but it's just because they are demi permanent. It happens! If you want it to last longer, go for a permanent shade.
I personally enjoy the fact that they fade quickly. I can switch up low light colors on myself frequently and keep my hair supa fresh :)
Use this with a 10 vol. to deposit color. You can use 20/30 vol with this (but chemically it then changes to a permanent color, so please use caution.) It will lift the color a shade or two with the higher volume developers though, so perfect if you are a yellowy/brassy color and need toning and enhancement. The smell is very gentle and so is the formula. It leaves the hair feeling soft and manageable, not dry and crispy. It seems to fix over-bleached, damaged hair quite a bit and adds a nice glaze/shine. It is great to use in place of a toner and can actually work better than a toner for the most part!
Try following up your color treatment with an Ion Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner, also two amazing products from Ion. Stay fabulous!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I have black hair, previously dyed to a medium ash brown from a box about a year ago. I wanted to make my hair a dark chocolate brown, but I wanted to keep from using ammonia in my hair dye. The demi-permanent hair dye was ammonia free, so I purchased 2 boxes of medium natural brown and the Ion 8 oz. 30 volume developer. I mixed the dye and developer together, applied to my hair, let it sit about 20 minutes and then washed it out with warm water and conditioned by hair with the Ion Repair conditioner.

Nothing. My hair is still black, but the parts of my hair that were previously dyed are darker now, more brown. So I guess it still worked? So here's the main thing I've learned from this:

Do you research! I wish I researched mixing rations and called the 1-800 number on the box before I did this! I could have easily figured out if I needed to change the 1:2 ratio or get a different dye.

And for those of you wondering, here's the phone number: 1-800-859-3112

on 7/3/2013 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

9NA Very Light Ash Blonde. Been using this as a toner on pre-lightened hair for more than a year now. I am very satisfied with the results. It's not too harsh, considering I have to bleach my roots and tone every 6 weeks. My hair has remained strong and the color lasts for the whole 6 weeks. I use a 20 vol. developer, comes out exactly like I want it every time, fades evenly and unnoticeably.

I would suggest, if you're using a blonde shade of demi, to pre-lighten your hair to the level closest to the demi color, then use the color as a toner to darken and give depth. It's a demi, it's not going to be able to lift your hair color. What it will do is change the tone, and give depth to hair that is otherwise flat or washed out.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I used the color 9NG on really light golden hair and my roots turned GRAY?! but my length was a decent color, still not close to swatch color. Will not be repurchasing.....Be Careful if you have really blonde hair....Use Porosity filler beforehand

on 10/28/2012 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was all skeptical after the reviews (and nervous, since I quit the heavy dying days and had been loving my natural color), but went on a whim and decided to get this in Burgundy Brown. The only reason I went with this brand was because of my hesitance, the idea of permanent scared me (I can't even believe this is the same person who used to do black and purple like it was in my DNA). And because I'm also scared to damage my hair with heavier dyes (I want it to GROW!!) I was all set to buy One 'n' Only Argan hair dye. I tried to research both but there were barely any pictures to decide between, so to be safe I went with the demi and a volume 10 developer. This. color. is. HOT!!! There isn't really any 'brown' about it! It's definitely out there and not natural, but in pictures people say it's 'subtle' and don't see it like it really is. I reallly like how it came out on me, better than many other colors I've tried, easy application, didn't mess up my bathtub like I thought it would, and my hair feels A-MAZ-ING (*though could be partly other things I put in it, but does not feel stripped or dry).

I will really have to update after I wash it, because there is a high chance that it could fade a lot after the first wash since it's a demi. But I am tempted to do this color longer term. Woowwzza.

The vibrancy lasted long even after shampooing many times. It's cloudy and stormy outside and yet even indoors I think I'm showing more highlights since the hair has been washed. Really loving this color. Maybe for those who didn't get the dye to stay, make sure your hair is washed reallly well and don't condition until AFTER you dye. And don't shampoo directly after you dye it either. That's what I did. Wash with shampoo (and vinegar in my case, to get rid of buildup) my hair was damp, not even 100% dry, used Volume 10, left it on quite long, an hour at least, condition with a DC and it worked fantastically. <3

UPDATE: A few washes later and I'm finally seeing the 'brown' to this color. But still lots of red highlights and considering it's a demi, I'm fine with that! :) I eventually bought the One 'n' Only Argan oil brand that is supposed to match this color and it didn't at all, this was way nicer and more vivid. It also started me on a hair color jouney and since then, I went fuchsia, coral, purple, and a little blue. :)

on 8/13/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have had so much luck with this Demi. It took me about 1 year to get the color mixture just right to tone down my highlights. I mix half a tube of Clear Shine with a full tube of 9NA (very light ash blonde) with the 10V developer, and get a beautiful ash blonde glaze to cover my super bright highlights. I usually leave the color on for 15 mins with no heat and I love the results. Its totally true about the color running quite dark, but i do find that the clear helps to dilute the color and makes my hair translucent and shiny. I will definitely continue using this as I love the results, not to mention the price. My hair always looks salon fresh and really healthy without having to shell out major bucks.