Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.6

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 3/7/2014 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This didn't work at all for me. I have naturally dark brown hair. Recently I bleached it a couple of times, and the last time it ended up bright orange/yellow. A little unevenly bleached, but overall very, very light. I thought this should be light enough to tone to a dark blonde (any tone but red). I purchased the Ion Demi in both 9 Ash and 7 Ash (There's no ash version in 8). I combined them 3/4 of 9 to 1/4 7 (the people at Ion said this would make an 8 Ash). This darkened my hair considerably and made it auburn color. I don't know why so many ashy colors are violet based. Violet has red in it, and will deepen the red. And blue is a very dark hue. Both will destroy gold. But I LIKE a little gold. I just don't like red! I'm so desperate to find something green based, that I'm almost willing to try something crazy like Manic Panic green, even though it's not meant to look natural. Otherwise I guess I have to bleach my hair to near white, before I can make it a light brown/dark blonde that's not auburn looking. There has to be a way.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My hair is naturally dark brown, with a lot of gray. I love demi permanents but don't need the box, the gloves and conditioner. I love, love, love Ion Brilliance! I color every two or three weeks, and mix 1 tablespoon 5N Light Natural Brown and 1 tablespoon 4N Medium Natural Brown with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the Ion Brilliance Sensitive Scalp 10 volume developer (3% peroxide). This combo ends up the perfect dark brown (comparable to a drugstore color's "Medium Ash Brown" or "Medium Natural Brown"). I mix it in a bowl and apply with a coloring brush, parting the hair with a rat-tail comb (using Costco disposable gloves). This takes time, versus dumping it onto your hair directly from the bottle, but this way I am able to cover everything strategically and not waste color. It smells very gentle and pleasant. I leave it in for 30-40 minutes, rinse out and put in my own conditioner. This gives me excellent gray coverage; shiny hair; and natural-looking color. I buy the color and developer on sale at Sally's and it is much cheaper and much better quality than drugstore color, but you have to be willing to measure and mix it yourself. For a young person looking for dramatic color change, this might not be the thing, but for me it is perfect. I read somewhere that drugstore demi permanents come with 20 volume developer (6% peroxide) so that they only take 10 minutes to work, and consequently they smell very harsh and I feel that they leave a line of demarcation that this does not. Hint: Wait until you are done coloring before rinsing out your color bowl and brush, so you can re-do any wisps at the hairline that did not get covered.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Worst hair color I've ever tried. I have medium brown hair and I used the blue black dye. I tried dying my hair, following all directions and after 25 minutes, I rinse my hair and what so I find? NONE of the color took to my hair. Wtf. I'm beyond pissed but decide to try again because I want my black hair. I follow directions, however I'm forced to add more of the pigment (tube) than normal. Then I reapply and leave on for 10 minutes longer than suggested. Finally, after all this, my hair is black.
Two months later, I still have half left and it's time for another dye job. Guess what? THE SAME THING HAPPENS!!! I have to color my hair TWICE just to get black! I'm never ever using this product again. I regret ever straying from Wella Colorx charm. If you're looking for a semi permanent hair dye, go for Wella!!! Not this crap!

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really liked this dye. I have medium chocolate brown hair and due to heat styling regularly and using bleach (ombre, past highlights) my hair was several shades of brown. I went out and purchased Medium Warm Brown (4W) hoping to keep the same depth of color, but make my hair one solid color.

I first used Ion Color Corrector to lift any color buildup from my hair, blow dried and then used Ion Pre-Color Treatment all over my hair to even the porosity of my hair for even color (mainly so I won't get light roots and dark ends). I used a Tangle Teezer to evenly coat my hair.

Then I applied the dye as directed with 10 volume developer. I left it in for 25 minutes (which could have been too long, but by the 20 minute mark my roots didn't look dark enough - since they were super light from the color corrector).

Well, I ended up with fabulous, even color.. but the only thing wrong is that my hair is JET BLACK. Much more like a level 2. Way darker than what I wanted.

Most reviews say to pick a shade that is two shades lighter than what you want. Make sure to do that. I will repurchase this brand of hair dye, but I will for sure go two shades lighter for medium-dark brown.

Also, this dye stains the skin worse than any other dye I have used. Make sure to use vaseline around your hairline.

on 9/29/2012 7:27:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I bought this at Sally's Beauty Salon and was impressed with the coverage. I chose light reddish brown and it came out a medium cranberry auburn color - a little artificial at first but more natural looking after about a week. The color is intense and lasts longer than any other demi-permanent including Wella and Goldwell. I used the 10% sensitive scalp developer and left it on the roots 30 minutes, ran it through the rest of the hair, and left it on another 15 minutes. I then washed it out and used the ION shampoo and conditioner afterward. I am over 50% gray and this covered my grays and white hairs completely. Other than the slightly artificial shade for a few days, this product really delivers at an unbelievably reasonable price. I highly recommend it.

on 12/31/2010 3:31:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am 95% gray on top and have been struggling for years to find a brand of hair color that will hide my gray without leaving my hair feeling like straw, and my scalp sensitive. With all of the other brands, I was leaving color on my hair an extra 10 minutes (for it to take) so my ends were almost always turning black, even though I did not pull through the color till the last 10 minutes.
A Sally's consultant advised that I try a DEMI color that would be less damaging.

I tried the standard shade or two lighter than what I wanted and found that in this line - YOU NEED TO USE 3 LEVELS LIGHTER ! The colors are so much darker than labeled and they do not fade like all of the "permanent" lines I used to use.

That being said - you must start out much lighter than you think if this will be your first time using it.

I love that my scalp is happy now becuase I have extremely sensitive skin. Half of all the products I buy go in the trash after a few uses due to bad reactions.

I love the apple smell of the developer. My hair is in great condition. My hair comes out looking very good, rich colors and lost of shine. I also use this on my daughter with NO gray, and she mixes her Demi colors 50/50 with the ION Clear Color - just to give more shine and cut the color intensity down.

I like the professional Salon Revlon COLOR results (my favorite Salon line) as much as I like ION. So why not save money and do it myself?

When you are as gray as I am, the roots don't always HOLD their color. This is not noticeable at all after coloring. It looks good in the beginning, but by the time I am ready to redo my roots, I notice the hair that has only been colored once, has faded just a tiny bit. So I posted a picture of my hair right before coloring to show that next to my roots, the hair colored once is slightly lighter than the rest. By the second coloring, my hair does not fade any more. I had to pull all my hair up and take a picture at just the right angle to show this.

I am also posting a picture right after being colored so you can see how deep and shiny the color is.

I use a Medium Natural Blond with a 1/4 tube of Medium Warm Blond, in a 1:1 ratio with developer per instruction sheet for very gray hair. Notice how DARK my results are.

My hair comes to just below my ears. So If you have never used this line before and you are covering Gray - PURCHASE 2 Tubes !!! Otherwise, mixing a ratio of 1:2 will give you a total of 6 oz, probably enough to do hair to half way down the neck with one tube. But to be sure, I recommend always having 2 tubes of color.

on 12/12/2010 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is really the best hair dye out there - permanent or demi. I have tried every dye out there including natural, organic, henna based, chemical, etc. I used this on a friends hair a couple of months ago in 8N light natural blonde mixed with a little of the lightest golden brown. She has medium to dark brown hair. The shine was incredible and it covered the few grays that she had and made them look like highlights.
I decided to use it on my hair b/c my highlights were fading and looking brassy and my new growth was coming in way more gray than i would have liked. I have dark blonde/light brown hair naturally and am about 25 percent gray. The gray is also kind of clustered in certain areas. Since my hair turns red/brassy no matter what, I was nervous to use anything but an ash color. But I needed to cover the grays, so I had to mix some natural in with the ash to try and get some coverage (the ash colors really won't cover the gray, they just tone the hair). I mixed 3/4 lightest Ash blonde 10A with 1/4 light natural blonde 8N. I left it on my roots for about 20 minutes and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they would not grab too much color. I also used the ion pre color spray treatment (really good stuff). I am blown away with the condition of my hair. It feels healthier than before (my hair is still quite damaged from too many highlights overlapping) and the color is just right. I probably could have left it on my roots a little longer for more gray coverage or maybe added some more of the 8N natural blonde, but everything just blends great. The ash toned my highlights slightly which is what I wanted. They are not too ashy or too warm, just look like natural highlights. Maybe next time I can try the 10N lightest natural blonde mixed with the 10A and leave it on longer. Overall, I am sticking to this brand of color for a long time, if not forever. I was really trying to use the all natural hair dyes, but they just are not working out for me. So, this no ammonia (but still chemical based one) is what I will be using. My hair does not look or feel like it was just dyed. It feels like my natural hair, only better!
UPDATE: I haven't used this in a while. I have been only highlighting my hair lately and it satrted to get just one color all over blonde and I started to look washed out. Add the multiplying gray hairs and it was not a good look. Took this out again this morning and mixed 3/4 8N Light natural blonde with 1/4 9A very light ash blonde. I wanted to tone the highlights, but also need to cover the grays. 1:1.5 ratio to the 10 vol. developer. WOW! My hair is in better shape than before i dyed it. I also used the ion pre color treatment and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they wouldnt grab too much color. The grays have been blended (although I think I should have left it on a little longer on the roots to get better coverage). I left it on 20 mins on the roots and then mixed with some water and pulled through to the ends. It is just so shiny and healthy looking. The blended grays at my roots look like highlights which is great. It didnt go too dark which I was afraid of and is why i rinsed off a little early. My roots just look like my natural haircolor growing in and my hair just gradually gets lighter towards the bottom. I may just use the natural and no ash on my roots next time and then mix some ash in just for a quick bush through at the ends to tone them. Whoohoo!
UPDATE AGAIN: I have been going a little more golden (eeks!) so I have been playing with other colors. Recently I used 10ng mixed with 8n. My grays are expanding and I need something that will cover them. This really made my hair shiny and golden without looking brassy or cheap. Just nice golden. Covered a lot of grays but not all. I left it on 40 minutes and used a 1:1 ratio to developer. This stuff also DOES lighten roots somewhat. No matter what, there is peroxide in the developer so left on long enough it does "break the base" of my roots. This way they r not so dark in comparison to the rest of my hair. This only happens though when I leave on longer than 30 mins or so and use a little heat. I put on a cap and use low heat on and off, focusing on my roots where the most grays are. I uploaded a pic on the main product page. I am the blonde. There are a few stray grays that look more pronounced in the pic than they do in real life. I have to also add that a few times a year I put highlights in my hair and the rest of the time I use the ion Demi to stain my grays to look like highlights. Much less damaging and seems to be working out well.! My natural color has darkened through the years to probably a light brown/dark blonde with golden highlights.
Another edit: just FYI that the NB (neutral blonde) in this line can be a little off in color. I have tried it on myself And others and it just never seems quite right. A little reddish with a strange undertone. Just wanted to share that if anyone is considering that color group from this line. All other colors have been fantastic though!!!
UPDATE::: 2-2015
My hair is light right now bc we went away over February break. The grays and my roots were coming in but I did not want to darken my hair so I tried the lightest color of the ion demi line. 10N lightest natural blonde. I only put it on my roots and left on for almost an hour. I used a cap and heat on and off. I only let it touch the rest of my hair mid shaft and length when I was rinsing it out so it wouldn't darken the rest of my hair at all. I was liking the highlights and didn't want them changed, I just wanted to roots to blend in. My grays are multiplying and I need to keep up on the new growth. This worked out really well! I didn't know if the 10n would cover the grays but it did and it lightened my darker roots enough to blend them. It also did not darken the rest of my hair. Yay!

on 11/13/2010 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried this b/c I wanted to quit damaging my hair with permanent color. I chose a shade 2x lighter than normal, followed the directions and while my roots came out the desired color, the rest of my hair was almost black. Clearly this is not what I was going for. I thought it would fade within a few days. Some of it did fade judging by the stains left on my white bath towels each day. After four days, my roots were back to their usual medium brown color (w/greys) but the rest was still nearly black. I ended up using Ion's Color Corrector to remove most of the black. That left my hair a nice brassy orange which I then colored with Wella's Color Charm Cashmere 6NW (Dark Natural Warm Blonde). The end result is medium warm brown hair. Whew. Will not touch a demi- permanent again.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My new favorite demi-permanent. I used 3N Dark Natural Brown two weeks ago. I did my standard clarify/K-pak routine the day before coloring. Next day I mixed color at a 1:1 ratio with the Ion 10vol developer, applied with bottle, plopped a plastic cap on (this is mostly so I don't make a mess while waiting for the color to process) and waited 25 minutes. After rinsing, I conditioned with Ion Color-Seal. Color came out perfectly even, even though my actual hair is NOT so even (I was a red-head last summer, I am covering 6 inches of permanent red on the bottom, top 4 inches are natural medium brown). The actual mixture was very creamy, and I will admit I dripped a bit, but I have done that with every dye I have ever used. It smelled very pleasant also. The first week I used Ion Color Shampoo and used more of the Ion Color-Seal as my conditioner and washed my hair every other day. Last week I went back to my regular shampoo rotation and washed daily (I have fine, thin, curly hair - it is torture when I can't wash everyday). I still can not see grays and the color is still dark and even. The thing I appreciated most about this color is that my hair didn't seem to need a "recovery" period (you know, when the dye seems to turn your hair into a Brillo Pad and it takes a week or so to condition it back to health - Clairol Radiance, I'm talking to you), it never felt dry after coloring. Don't know if that will happen next time I use it, but I will definitely be using it again next time I color.