J.R. Liggett's Old Fashioned Shampoo Bar Damaged Hair Formula

4.4

on 12/11/2015 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

So I actually bought the original formula bar to try out because I read so many great reviews, and I was a little skeptical about not having to use conditioner but figured if it worked it would be perfect for camping and traveling! So I have only used this once and it was amazing, smell is just slightly there and smells like roses. It felt like it really cleaned my hair very thoroughly, and when I got out of the shower the ultimate test began. I brushed my hair and WOW I was actually able to brush through my hair easily!! That never happens! Let me tell you about my hair type, I have long hair to the middle of my back, its blonde, and thin although I have a lot of it and its slightly wavy which makes it very hard to brush because it gets very tangled! Last note is that the next day my hair wasn't oily yet either which is great because with some shampoos/conditioners after one sleep it is oily already.
I will update if anything changes with continued use!

I purchased this product in hopes of 1. Cutting down on plastic bottles, and 2. because I have very delicate hair that is prone to breakage and damage. Most mainstream products just made the problem worse. I'm having very interesting results from this product. It doesn't lather very well, but I didn't really expect it to. I am not pairing it with a conditioner, and after rising my hair feels squeaky, stiff, and straw like. I've heard from a cosmetology friend that this after effect is actually a good sign of healthy hair, so I didn't panic. However once it dried I discovered that while my scalp and roots were soft, and clean, the ends of my hair, starting from the jaw line down were waxy, almost oily. I've always had very dry hair, and certainly didn't expect this result. I've used the product for almost a week now, and get the same results each time. It's not often that your roots are clean and soft, and your ends are oily.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any information that could help me?

Great product. Cleans my hair gently, leaves it soft and full, yet not fly-awayish, and soothes my itchy scalp. It's slightly annoying having to use a vinegar rinse afterwards, but as I have hard water where I live, it makes it work much better. My only complaint is that I have to order it online, as the two local health food stores have stopped carrying it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

i bought it online. it was around $7(including shipping)
website said since its made with oils&sulfate free, conditioner is not needed.
so when i got it in my mailbox, i used it without any conditioner.
right after washing, my hair felt like a straw when it was damp. it got better once it dried(still it was little too rough for styling), but not being able to style my hair is major NO-NO for me.
so i began searching for solution on internet. people said ACV works-
i experimented with a lot of different ratio for a month
(tried 1tbs/2cup to 1tbs/8cup). didn't help.
so i tried using conditioner afterward. result was weird feeling hair.
my hair felt like there was a wax build up on it.(i used dove conditioner)

after all that, i kinda gave up. i wasn't gonna buy another shampoo
till i run out of this shampoo bar, so i kept using it.

even though i wasn't gonna buy a new shampoo, i was just
web-surfing for good shampoo and conditioner.
while i was doing that i found out about co-washing.
and heard vo5 conditioner is cone-free and good for co-washing
so i went to dollar tree and got vo5 kiwilime clarifying conditioner.
used it to co-wash my hair. didn't work at all.

so 20minutes ago, when i was taking my shower, i decided to use
vo5 conditioner after using my shampoo bar.
result is amazing!! lol
now that i look back on it,i think cone in dove conditioner is
what made my hair felt like a wax.
anyway now i love this shampoo bar!!!

on 4/8/2010 4:15:00 PM

I have never left a review before but had to chime in on this product. I have to agree with the the other reiewers, it is wonderful. Leaves my hair soft and healthy with no hair loss like I had with the salon products. The bar is easy to use and lasts a long time. I ordered it off Amazon for what I think is a fair price for 4 bars. Try it, I don't think that you will be disappointed. I have colored, medium wavy hair.

on 11/15/2009 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I'm surprised there arent more reviews for this product. I was in a well known health food store looking for a new shampoo and conditioner. I usually use Hugo Naturals red tea and ylang ylang shampoo which work amazing on my hair as a moisturizing shampoo but unfortunately for $13 and having so much hair and so little lather (I would use nearly half a bottle per wash) it was costing too much to wash my hair weekly with it. Every other shampoo containing SLS and other regular drug store ingredients affect my scalp badly, making me itch and flake.
I was tempted to buy another bottle of Hugos but noticed these square old fashioned looking packages next to it and pick it up and read the label. There were 5 different types. As my hair was feeling very dry and I had sever scalp irritation to the point of my skin peeling after trying to use a regular shampoo I bought the Damaged Hair bar and the Herbal Formula bar.
I rubbed just a little on my hair while washing and it lathered up amazingly. With one rinse my hair felt like I had used Hugos shampoo, but even softer. I doubted it would be able to remove all the oils I had in my hair (I have relaxed 4b afro hair) but when I looked in the bath it had removed all of it. It didn't strip my hair either.
When I dried my hair it was still as soft as when I washed it and the quote that you wont need a conditioner is absolutely true. I bought a conditioner just in case and didn't need it at all. For $4.49 this product is amazing. I barely used any of the bar at all. It has a mild natural fragrance but when you use it barely has any smell at all.
The good thing about this product is that ii contains no SLS or DEA, no petroleum, animal products or preservatives.
After I washed my hair with it I washed my face but I dont think my face loves it as much as my hair as it made my face very dry. I have very dry skin as it is but I can understand how this would work well for people with acne or psoriasis.

1 HOUR UPDATE
Yep, you read it right. After 1 hour my scalp started to get allergic. I have to say that I am allergic to most nuts, almonds NOT being one of them as I could happily eat marzipan all day but my scalp felt like it was swelling. I tried massaging my head Nope. Finally after an hour I had to rewash my hair so found the perfect opportunity to try the Herbal shampoo soap version and as soon as I rinsed it out the allergy subsided. I'll be writing my review on the herbal version asap.
I still love this soap, the herbal version cleans better, this version seems to leave a softening residue. I think if I wasn't allergic to it this would definitely be something I would buy always.

on 5/25/2009 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love J.R. Liggett's shampoo bars in all the varities. I have coarse, dry, naturally curly hair and I use the Damaged Hair formula in the winter, or any time when my hair feels brittle, like after spending too much time in the sun. In fact, I haven't used any other brand of shampoo for the past three years and neither has my family! I especially love the fact that you don't need conditioner afterwards, the hair is so easy to comb through anyway, tangles a lot less and stays clean much longer than with stripping SLS-shampoos. A winner.

on 5/22/2009 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I really liked the idea of this and was hoping it would work, but it didn't. I tried using this for about a month, and then gave up entirely. I have long, damaged, dry, thick, color-treated hair (which is why I bought the Damaged Hair Formula). I only used this on my scalp/roots. I usually only wash my hair about twice a week. At first, I applied the bar directly to my roots and then lathered it in. Sometimes I noticed lather, but much of the time this didn't lather at all. At the time I bought this, I also bought a new blow dryer, Enjoy conditioner, FF Glossing Creme and a Marilyn pro round brush (all of which I love)--I was on a quest to finally have good hair! I would spend about 45 minutes blow drying my hair in the morning (I have a lot of hair). When I was done, my hair didn't look good at all--my roots were stiff and waxy and made my hair lay weirdly on my head. This happened EVERY TIME. I tried lathering in my hands first and then applying to my scalp. I tried rinsing for a really really long time to make sure I got this all off. I even tried using an ACV rinse afterwards to reduce the build- up, but nothing worked. It could be because of the hair dye, or maybe from styling it but I really really didn't like this (and I really wanted to).

on 5/22/2009 7:27:00 AM

I mirror the other reviewers sentiments on this product. This stuff if Awesome! I was completely and pleasantly surprised. No conditioner needed, no straw hair, no hard time rinsing out like other SLS-free shampoos, and absolutely no drying or tangles!! I am trying to get away from using products in plastic, and JR Liggett even hits the jackpot with that! I bought the 'Damaged Hair Formula' because I was afraid it would turn my hair to straw like Burt's Bee's liquid shampoos do, but I had nothing to worry about. If you are on the fence about this stuff, get off and buy it!

I cannot believe how amazing this shampoo is. It is about $4.00 a bar + shipping if you order it from an online supplier. One bar has lasted me 3 months already, and it's only about 1/2 gone. I ordered the Damaged Hair Formula, because I wanted to make sure that my hair wouldn't become dried out from just using the bar. In the 15 years that I have been struggling with my frizzy hair, I have never found something so wonderful. I have spend maybe close to $1000 on hair products over the years, and this little bar may be the last one I ever need. I have spent $50+ on sets shampoo and conditioner, and I have tried salon formulas, and most recently switched to SLS-free products.

The bar doesn't lather in your hands, but it foams like crazy in your hair. I just wet my hair and rub the bar in my hands or right on to my hair. My hair feels a little dry at first in the shower, but then as it dries it becomes baby soft and full of body. I was skeptical at first, but now I want to carry around slivers of this bar and get everyone I know to try it.

I have fluffy, thick hair that becomes frizzy if I use the wrong product. I thought that Jason Shampoos and Conditioners were my HG product, because they give me sleek, shiny, soft hair on the second and third days after shampooing. The first day after washing with those though, my hair is a crunchy fluff ball, until my natural oils distribute trough again. With J.R Liggett's, my hair is soft, manageable, and I have no dry fly-aways from day one. My hair also dried much faster than it ever has with this. I was sure that I would wind up just using this bar as body soap, but now I hoard it and take it in and out of the shower with me so that my brothers don't waste the soap in the shower, or let the water dissolve it away. I generally wash my hair every two to three days, unless I work out, then I wash every day.

I cannot believe that it is possible for me to wash my hair without using conditioner, but it really is. I don't need detangler, frizz control serum, or anything else when I use this bar. I don't think that I will ever buy anything else for my hair ever again. I figured that this would just be like Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap that would leave my hair waxy, dried out, flat, and then quickly turn it greasy. Not so my friend. This bar is amazing. I am hoping that during this hot Florida summer my hair won't become a mess with all the swimming in the pool and ocean that I will be doing. I have faith that this bar will be my best friend this summer.

I have ordered the Traveler set to keep my bar in, just to protect it because I can't leave it in the shower or it might get ruined. I love how quickly the bar dries too! I don't have to carry around a soggy, slimy bar!