Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer

Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer
Photo Finish Lid Primer

3.1

Isododecane, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Beeswax, Silica, Boron Nitride, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Talc, Microcrystalline Wax, Propylene Carbonate, Cetyl PEG/PPG10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Phenoxyethanol, PEG-12 Glyceryl DiMyristate, Water, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Betaine, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Tremella Fuciformis Sporocarp Extract. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron oxide

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This primer is surprisingly BAD. I got it as a Points Perk at Sephora (I really regret wasting 100 points). I rely on eyeshadow primers or good cream eyeshadows to hold my powder shadows all day and keep them fresh and vibrant. So I'm always up for trying a new one and because I've been travelling a fair bit with carry on luggage, I like having minis of things. I got this in the shade "Light" and was surprised that it looked quite dark when I took out the doe foot but applied, it looked absolutely fine in terms of colour. However, it started to ball/pill up when I smoothed it onto my lids...NOT a nice look at all, and it was hard to get the the pilled/peeled bits to smooth out or go away. Worse still, my shadows did not last with this...the shadow on my lids just disappeared and all that was left was some of my crease colour and a bit of my lid shade at the inner corners (where I hadn't applied this) - the primer seemed to "eat" my lid colours. As I said at the outset, I was surprised by how bad this is, particularly in light of how many really excellent shadow primers are available from so many companies (UD, Lorac, Nars and MAC are my faves).

on 2/5/2017 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This does prevent creasing and helps my shadow stay on longer, but it's difficult to work with. It's thicker and dryer than any other primer I've tried, so application is a little harder. I can accept that, though. But because it is also tackier on the lid, it is harder for me to work with the eyeshadows on it - they don't blend as easily or go on as smoothly as other primers. Further, I don't like the packaging - it doesn't seem hygienic to touch the doe-foot applicator to your eye and/or finger and then stick it back in the tube (I can accept this for lip gloss, but it bothers me more when it's the eyes, that might just be me), and you can't get all of the product out like you can with a squeezy tube. Combined with the price (there are better options, not just from mid-high end competitors but from drugstore brands like Milani), collectively this a fail for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer is pretty thick, which I don't really mind because i just rub it in anyways. However, it does have this brush, almost like the kind you use to apply lip gloss, that if you were to use fully to put on the primer would be WAY too much. I usually use my finger to rub it in after applying it with the brush. I feel that the primer doesn't significantly keep my eyeshadow from coming off any less than if I weren't wearing it, but it does prevent creasing for me. It also makes my eyelids feel pretty soft.

on 8/30/2016 3:40:00 PM

I was at perfumestore here in Norway buying the Vice lipstick when I came across this little try it kit from Smashbox. The primer was in this kit. I've never really tried out Smashbox and I don't wear primer on a everyday basis, so I had to try it out. I think the formula is thick and sticky (are eyeprimers supposed to be like that??) and diffucult to put on the lid. On ny skin it looks "skin", til it drys off. It goes in to my fine lines, streaks and looks patchy. I tried using it with Bobbi Brown setting powder and it helped a bit. With light matte eyecolor shades i looks ok bad, witj shimmer shadows it looks lile your eyelid is about to come off. Imna stick to my consealer anyday.

This primer is actually almost impressively bad - my eye make up actually creases and wears off more when I wear it than when I don't! Total waste of money - I've now discovered Urban Decay's primer which is sooo much better.

on 9/23/2015 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I love this primer. It keeps my eyeshadow and liner in place for the whole day and sometimes, when I fall asleep on the couch, throughout the night. I too was surprised by so many bad reviews on here and I suspect that many of them may be due to a lack of practice with this primer. It is thicker than most and does require a minute or two to sort of soak into your lid. Otherwise, your creamier shadows or liquid liners will slip right off. Think about it cream primer and a cream eyeshadow? Basic science says those two will just mix together. I apply this primer after my moisturizer or BB cream and let all of that soak in for a minute. Then I continue with my make up job. With this primer, it does intensify shadows some, especially if you apply the primer really thick at first so you can choose to use that to your advantage if you want. I especially love this primer for a night time look when I'm doing a heavy smokey eye because nothing moves. All of my blending works stays exactly where I blended it and I don't have that racoony, melted off eye look at the end of the night. I'm also notorious for forgetting that I have make-up on during the day, and after working those long 12-13 hour days I've been known to rub my eyes and yell "Ach! I forgot I had on make-up!" while running to a mirror. But this primer helps stave off any major drama when I do that and keeps things in place!

When it's done, it's done. There is no scraping the sides of the tube. You need to go buy a new one. And if you don't close the tube tightly, it will dry out. If you are rubbing your eye too much when applying, you either didn't put enough on, or your tube is empty/dried out and need to buy a new one.

All in all, this is one of my top two eyelid primers year round.

on 8/11/2015 8:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm glad I gave this a second chance, I got this in a kit and tried it in the winter and thought it was the worst primer. It made my eyelids dry and crepey, my eyeshadow powdery and uneven.

Come summer when out of desperation with the heat causing my lids to be oily I tried the Smashbox primer again because I had no time to research for a new one.

This time, in the summer humidity, the primer went on much more moist and gave a good base for my shadows. It stayed semi matte for about 4-6 hours and even with oil breakthrough it didn't look bad. It leaves a tinted base and made my shimmery shadows matte though. I think this can double as a concealer too.

on 7/23/2015 12:06:00 AM

I usually use the Nars eye primer but in comparison this one worked just as well. It's a little thicker and tackier than the Nars primer and I could see it being a little drying but it kept my eye shadow from creasing and kept it in one place so I can't ask for much more

on 7/19/2015 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I had been using UDPP in Eden which I loved for it's tinted formula, but as I have gotten older I found it too drying. NARS has a great formula, but it only comes in clear. I have dark/discolored lids so a tinted primer is a must. This really helps correct and cover any discoloration or darkness on the lids. I like that this applies smoothly and best of all it isn't drying. This works well with both matte and shimmer eyeshadow shades.

on 7/6/2015 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Deluxe sample from a Sephora Favorites kit. At first, I thought it was just a really dry formula, and it may be, but my bottle was so dry that I had to give up and toss it. Not worth the priming if you're being rough on your delicate eye area to blend it in.

Video Reviews & Tutorials