Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

2.7

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 12/9/2015 6:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This broke me out terribly. I woke up with tiny bumps and super red skin all over my face. I normally don't react to products and don't break out hardly at all, so this was a surprise. I thought about what new products I had tried out and this product was definitely the culprit.

I had a little deluxe sample of this from Sephora, I didn't even use that much but after one application, I knew I'd never buy/use this again. I am wondering what ingredient did this, so that I can stay away from it in the future.

on 9/14/2014 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I can't get past the smell. The texture isn't pleasant either as it is very thin and filmy. Yuck!

on 8/30/2014 12:01:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

sorry to say i hated this moisturizer. like a lot of reviewers i found it irritating and foul smelling.

after testing a sample for two days i developed a very annoying rash of small itchy red lumps over my lower cheeks, and a week later i still had some residual blotches. my skin isn't super-sensitive by any means, and i've never had this kind of reaction before, so this cream must have something seriously irritating in it - at least to a percentage of the population.

WHY DOES HOPE IN A JAR SMELL SO BAD?

and then there's the smell. when i say it's foul smelling, i don't mean it's mildly offensive, i mean it's genuinely revolting.
if i hadn't known it was fresh, i could easily have believed the sample i was using was the most rancid sample ever.

out of curiosity i googled 'why does hope in a jar smell so bad" and got 725,000 hits, so obviously there's a real issue here, and reading the reviews, it's clear that many reviewers struggle to convey how awful the cream smells.

on the other hand it's also clear that many reviewers have little or no problem with the way the cream smells, saying it has no smell, or it smells like flowers ... and that's pretty confusing. how can there be such a serious difference of opinion between the haters and everyone else?
when some reviewers can't imagine why others would object to the smell of the cream, and don't understand what all the fuss is about, and other reviewers find the smell so repulsive they can't imagine why anyone would want it on their face, you just know something has to be going on ;-)

i'm not an expert in this area but i understand the ability to detect certain odours is genetically determined.
for example, some people can smell freesias, and some people can't. i can smell them, and i love their scent, but those who can't smell them probably don't understand why they're admired so much.

similarly, only half the population can smell a hormone called androstenone (which is a steroid found in male and female sweat and urine, male pig saliva, and celery).
of those who can smell it, 30% find the smell ok or even nice ('pleasant', 'sweet' or 'similar to vanilla') but 70% find it absolutely foul ('stale urine').
that's quite a range of different responses to one chemical.

maybe some ingredient in hope in a jar is subject to this kind of effect? perhaps the serious difference of opinion about the way the cream smells occurs because some people are smelling something that other people can't?
this could explain why there are reviewers that hate the smell, and reviewers that don't understand why.

for those of you who are getting lavender or sour milk, count your blessings. sadly for me and others like me, who are smelling something far more disturbing, this truly is the sweaty armpit of moisturisers ;-)

so what have i learned?
answer: always check MUA before trying new skincare.
despite the rave reviews (and they can't all be due to the oprah effect), at the time of writing this review, the product is only rated 2.8 / 39% across 1,659 reviews.
that's pretty low, and shows there's more haters than lovers, so given that there's plenty of product options out there, and no reason to waste time on potentially problematic products like this one, i should have just ditched the sample and moved on, and avoided the whole unpleasant experience ;-)

on 7/23/2014 12:38:00 AM

There is a slight smell but it doesn't linger I'm over 60 yrs old acne prone STILL ugh fair and sensitive This product is HG for me Never has broken me out like heavier creams and my face is soft and moisturized I use PC BHA 2% and her 8%AHA to keep my skin clear alternating night and day use Twice daily HIAJ morning and night I have noticed a huge improvement in my skin and now only use a light dusting of Bare Minerals sheer veil You just have to see what works for you I've spent huge $$$ over the years and this works for me Don't give up! There's something out there that works for you Keep trying the sample sizes until you hit the right ones for you for me HIAJ is great and I love it

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this as a beauty tube item and it surprised me. It's a light, whipped cream that seems to have a lot of water mixed into it. When you apply it, it melts onto the face and feels almost wet. Then it absorbs. As such, it doesn't seem to work well on a moist face. I don't detect much of a fragrance.

It works well for a summer moisturizer--I apply it all over face and down neck and chest area. For winter, I wouldn't rely on it. But I do like it and I reach for it continually in the summer.

on 6/28/2014 1:25:00 AM

I really has high hopes for this product. A lot of people liked this and it worked for them but this was just "Meh."

Texture: Creamy, thick-ish (but not like a body butter) texture.

Scent: It's kind of like a off/weird lavender smell. It's not my cup of tea but it wasn't bothersome either. I could see someone with a sensitivity to fragrance not reacting well to this product. The smell goes away after it dries and settles.

Finish: Dewy. A bit on the sticker/oilier side than I prefer.

Effects: No noticeable improvement. At first it seemed to leave my skin balanced (in combination with purity cleanser) but soon after this left my skin feeling greasier than normal.

When I was using this face cream, I had the worse flare up of acne than I have had in years. Now whether this was hormonal or caused by this lotion, couldn't tell ya. But definitely not worth it trying to find out.

I ended up giving away a whole unused jar to a friend who was interested in trying it. (I had two deluxe samples of the cream that I went through)

on 3/12/2014 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this product since becoming a Philosophy girl about 12 years ago (through an infomercial). I really can't count how many jars of this stuff (2 oz and 4 oz.) that I have been through. I now use Philosophy's Miracle Worker line at night, but Hope in a Jar is my daytime moisturizer. This is the first moisturizer that I have used consistently without having it break me out. It seemed that anything I was using prior to this, afer 6 to 8 months, it just wouldnt work any more -- i.e. clogged pores and breakouts. I let my sister use this one time when we were traveling and she forgot night cream -- she thought it smelled awful! However, the next morning she was amazed at how soft her face was (she is 13 years older than me).

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This smells like bleach or something nasty. The smell lingers and burns my eyes, how disgusting for a face cream! Never smelled anything so nasty in a cream, unbelievable...

If you watch a Philosophy presentation on QVC they make you want to try everything. Pshhhh what a joke. This moisturizer sits on top of my skin and doesn't sink in whatsoever. My skin looks like it needs to be washed after I apply this. This is supposedly Philosophy's best selling holy grail amazing omg product and I think it's disgusting so I won't try anything from philosophy in the future if this is there best.

Hope in a Jar has smoothed out some tiny bumps that have been on my forehead for over a year. I've tried several other high end products, with no success. This isn't cheap, but won't break the bank either. The smell is sort of weird, but it goes on smooth and never feels greasy to me. I use it twice a day, at least an hour before makeup or the gym.