Hawaiian Tropic Island Radiance Self Tanner

Hawaiian Tropic Island Radiance Self Tanner

3.9

Water, Glycerin, Dihydroxyacetone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Sucrose Polysoyate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sucrose Polybehenate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Silica, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui Nut) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) Extract, Ethyl Macadamiate, Tocopheryl, Malic Acid, Caramel, Erythrulose, Sorbitol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Squalane, Ceteth 10 Phosphate, Dicetyl Phosphate, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ubiquinone, Fragrance (Parfum), Plumeria Acutifolia Flower Extract, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Fruit Extract, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Fruit Extract, Colocasia Antiquorum Root Extract

OK I hate self tanners, I feel it's such a tedious process and always ends up looking ugly on me - uneven, patchy and makes me look dirty. It's not my application either, it's just the type of skin I have.
But I'm tired of looking glowy white, and I have become a bit paranoid about laying in the sun, so I pulled out my Clarins self tanner from last year - same bad result. Then I happened across this HT tanner at SDM and I figured heck, for $10, I might as well try it, because I was won over by the claims that it only darkens you by 2 shades.

I only applied it once, 3 days ago. Upon application, I was like WOW! It feels like whipped butter! It spreads so easily, like a silky, buttery lotion, and although it doesn't have a color guide, you don't need one: they say to apply freely, and that's what I did. It's fool proof, you can't really miss any spots.

The scent is pleasant, not the usual self tanner one. However, it does turn a bit funky after a while, so that's the only little con I found.

I was pressed for time, so I didn't give it enough time to dry completely, I had to put clothes on about 2 minutes after application. And yet, there were no streaks! Impressive!

The color developed within 3-4 hours, and it was a golden glow, a shade or 2 darker than my usual self, which was exactly what I wanted. My skin felt soft and moisturized, and it stayed that way even after I showered.

3 days later, it still looks great. No patches, no streaks, nothing has rubbed off. Amazing. I never got these results with any of the high end tanners I've used.

Since I just need a bit of color to take the edge off my pasty self, I will only use it once/week, because it seems to last me well through the week.

I'm shocked at how much I like it!

This self tanner hands down is one of the best! At the moment everyone seems to be raving about 'Loving Tan' on Instagram and I bought this actually on a whim after my friend suggested it, and she always has a flawless tan. I only marked the price down because it is so difficult to get hold of in the UK and Amazon sells it for £15.00 which seems a little steep for something that was originally marketed for £7.00. Totally annoying! Anyway, as you would with any tanner I showered, shaved, and exfoliated, used a mitt to cover the body, slept in it and then washed it off in the morning and the result was incredible! Almost 2 shades darker and no streaks at all! Perfect golden brown colour and lasted for at least a week. Adore this. Will continue to buy! Only use a mitt though. I used before with my bare hands and it was a streaky disaster! Use a mitt and you will have an amazing tan!

To Read all 80 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/19/2015 6:30:00 AM

Made me orange. Would not buy it again.

I bought this self tanner last summer at Shoppers Drug Mart for less than 10 dollars, got home put it in my bathroom cupboard and forgot about it and went through the summer using my trusty old favourites.

I pulled this out last night and decided to try it after reading many reviews. And so far so good. It didn't turn an orange shade on me, I am fairly light skinned and I used the medium dark shade. I had no problems with stickiness or tackiness like I've read in some other reviews but I did apply a thin layer and built it up and sped up the drying with my hair dryer. Also I did not have the packaging problem where I couldn't control the amount of product coming out, maybe the packaging has changed? I woke up this morning with a believable light olive brown tan.

I am currently sitting here with my second coat on and after letting it develop for 5 or 6 hours I'm hopping in the shower and will come back and update on how it works. Overall so far a great tanner for the price.

UPDATE:
I applied this tanner 2 days in a row, 1st time was before I went to bed, 2nd time was the next morning. I showered the second night after giving this tanner tons of time to sink into my skin and work. After showing the color did not come off at all, there were no white patched of where it could have scrubbed off from using my loofah. I have noticed it has turned a slight hint of orange, but nothing too crazy and it's definitely still wearable. I do still prefer Jergens Natural Glow in medium dark, but this is a great alternative. All and all it was worth the money I spent on it, would I go out of my way to repurchase it? Probably not.

on 11/17/2014 12:00:00 PM

I've never tried a self-tanner before because I've always heard stories of turning orange and streaky but I decided, what the heck, let's just try one out for myself and luckily I stumbled upon this one which I have to say I am pleasantly surprised about, actually, very excited. I decided to apply it on my legs first to test it out and then after letting it settle in for a couple of hours I proceeded with the rest of my body, including my face. I left it in for about 5 hours the first day before washing it off and it lasted me for more than a week. The face faded a bit quicker because I wash it every day but it was great and it was a beautiful natural brown-olive tan. I didn't find it rubbing off on clothing or my bed sheets. I mixed it with a bit of my every day moisturiser when I applied it on to my face which worked very nice. I love this because it is a lotion so it's very easy to work with. My only complaint is that I wish I had more control of how much lotion comes out of the container at once but overall, amazing product and it's a great price!! I will definitely buy this again :)

on 5/29/2014 10:32:00 PM

Very happy with results. Much cheaper than other expensive ones I have tried. I didn't find that it took too long to dry, like others have stated. I did use a blow dryer to speed up the drying though. Would buy again!!

This was a terrible, it made my legs turn into a horrible ugly orange color. I used the medium shade

on 5/19/2014 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this self tanner!! I am a seasoned self tanner and have literally tried them all. This is easily as good if not better than the more expensive brands like St. Tropez. For me I put on a thin layer and drying is not a problem, dry in 20 minutes. Good color after one application, I am light skinned however. Easy to apply thin cream that spreads evenly and I have no streaks or uneven areas at all. I don't mind the bottle at all and don't have a problem with how much product comes out when dispensed. The smell is fine, no worse than any other. And just to top it off, it is recommended by Paula Begoun,not that that is the be all end all, but she does note that there are some beneficial ingredients for your skin. Also towels do not have self tanner marks on them after showering like I have found with some. This is hands down the best hg of all tanners for me!!

on 5/3/2014 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This dyed my skin a sickly yellow-orange colour. It is an extremely stubborn stain, as I have tried everything to get it off (lemon juice, hair removal cream, scrubbing, mineral oil) and no luck. That's a good thing if you like the colour, since it will last a long time, but if you are dyed a horrible colour like me, it's pretty embarrassing. I was careful to use gloves and to rub it in all over, but because it's clear on the skin I still ended up with splotches and pale marks, and my wrists were streaked orange from the gloves. SO bad.

on 1/24/2014 10:13:00 AM

Great tanner. Usually I spend a few days prepping my skin (exfoliating/moisturizing) to take fake tan, for even results, but I was in a rush and only did a quick scrub before putting this on. I got very even and very natural looking results. Hard to get with fair and freckled skin. I would say this is between an instant tan and gradual tan after one application. It doesn't have a harsh smell at all. My only beef with this is how fast the creams out. Sometimes there is more than needed.