The Body Shop Vitamin C Micro Refiner

Filtered by eye Color : Brown

4.2

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

aqua, sodium diatomeae, glycerin, prunus dulcis, dimethicone, butyruspernum parkii, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, phenoxyethanol, PEG-100 stearate, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 60, methylparaben, xanthan gum, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, propylparaben, sodium hydroxide, parfum, limonene, disodium EDTA, linalool, benzyl benzoate, hexyl cinnamal, citrus dulcis, citrus grandis, citronellol, citral, geraniol, benzyl alcohol.

I have been using this to substitute Kiehl's Re-Texturizing Microdermabrasion scrub and I find it to be surprisingly pleasant to use. Its grains are very fine but it does the job! It does not hurt my face which has mild acne and it is not drying to my skin. I use this more than once a week, probably 3 to 4 times because I have oily skin and wear makeup for long hours everyday. It has helped smoothen out my skin a little, will probably have to use it longer to see if it works its magic! I love the smell and the texture, so far, I have nothing negative to say about this product!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got a sample of this after seeing it on someone's "must have" list on Youtube. After trying the sample, I went back and got this. It is a great scrub - very fine granules that don't irritate my skin. And the smell is great. It's every bit as good as some pricier scrubs/exfoliators. After using it, my skin feels so soft and smooth and I can't help feeling that my skin care products soak in better.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

It's part of my cleansing range (along with the Cleansing Face Polish) and I have to admit, I'm impressed.
I thought this would be a scratchy product that would just leave that smoothness on for ten minutes, but I could not have been more wrong.
1. A little bit goes a long way and that means that I'm still on my first tube, even after buying it way back in December 09.
2. The smoothness is IRRESISTIBLE, and it's not an I've-just-put-on-lotion smoothness, it's real and skin feels amazingly refreshed.
3. It's a PERFECT wake-me-up on a Monday morning, after a weekend of fun, adding some spice to work, if that's even possible.
4. It comes out looking like any regular cream cleanser. And it's filled with really incy particles that aren't scratchy at all, but they work well with the creamy stuff to not make the exfoliation too hard.

The price is rather overdone, though. It's the second-most expensive item in the whole Vit. C range, retailing for $32.90 Singapore Dollars without discount. And even for Love Your Body members, 10% off doesn't really make so much of a diff.
If you get this as a free sample, try it and you'll be amazed. I can understand why people would be put off from this product because of the price, but I would advise finishing the exfoliator you have before starting on this. Use a gentler cleanser along with this, because you'll only need to use the Refiner once or twice a week.
And no, in Singapore this stuff is no way discontinued. So if you want, you can nip down here with your grocery list :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

*read the EDIT*

THEY HAVE DISCONTINUED THIS!
Along with the Vit C mask from the same line, which also had high ratings here on MUA.
I can't believe why would they discontinue their best scrub?! I'm sure this is that evil L'Oréal's doing!
Onto the actual product...
I think this is a really good scrub. The beads are tiny but hard, but they are gentle if you don't go at it scrubbing your face vigorously.
It is EFFECTIVE. I notice the baby smoothness especially if I haven't been exfoliating for a couple of weeks. Otherwise my skin is always smooth anyway.
Also, a little goes a long way with this one.
Oh and, on my first use I did have a reaction to it. I got tiny little red bumps all over my face. My skin is not really sensitive, but sometimes reacts to the new products like this. Not break-outs, just some irritation or over-production of oil. However, it never happened again. So don't throw it away after the first use! Give it a second chance.
Although I love it and it breaks my heart to see it discontinued(it's removed from the UK website), it had a few cones:
1. It uses almond beads to scrub. Almond is one of the gentler natural scrubs but it's still not perfectly round as it should be.
2. Vit C goes bad too easily. My brand new tube smelled off, plasticy. Not citrusy like mentioned here. I took it back to the store and the tester one smelled the same. The lady there told it was normal. *shrugs* So... I don't think the vit C in it is doing anything for your skin.
3. It's overpriced. It's retailed for about 35$ here in Turkey! And the vit C line rarely gets a BOGO sale.
4. I don't think you should use it more than a few times a week. This is not a daily scrub!
5. Although I use it in conjunction with other exfoliating treatments like AHAs, BHAs, masks and LUSH AOBS; so sometimes I don't get to use this often enough to watch the brightening effect, but I don't think it has much of it. Maybe only if I have really dull skin because I haven't been exfoliating for days, which is rare. It's good at erasing dullness but it doesn't give any extra "glow".
Now LUSH Angels on Bare Skin gives that "glowing" effect.
Overall, I don't mind these cones enough to give up on this product. Gets 4 lippies. I'd always want to have it available. *sigh*

EDIT: Apparently this product has been reformulated along with the rest of the Vitamin C line which is being revamped.
Read about it here:

The new product has a very similar formula but now it contains Aluminum beads too, which is a good thing. Synthetic beads are perfectly round.

The new formula:

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Solum Diatomeae (Abrasive), Glycerin (Humectant), Aluminum Silicate (Exfoliant), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Polysorbate 60 (Surfactant), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Antioxidant), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Fragrance (Fragrance), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient).

amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! best scrub ever, makes skin feel soft all week

I needed a new exfoliator and just started using this for a few days. I've got to say that i really like it so far! A little does a lot. At first I was hesitant because of the priciness of this, but it does do a good job in cleaning my face. I like to mix this with my fave cleansing product, and i have to say my face feels so soft and clean after doing so! The sales suggested I use this twice a week, but I have oily skin, so I usually use it on a daily basis, again using a little bit mixed with my regular cleansar, and i'm happy to say that it hasn't dried my skin at all!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I bought this a while back, looking to brighten my skin. The young man who sold it to me said " I use it " and he had really great skin. I got it home and tried it. I was underwhelmed. Even as *just an exfoliator it sucks, as for microdermabrasion cream....I don't think so, Jack. What's more, the cream base made me break out so bad!!! Six months later its still sitting in my shower and no doubt mildewy now. I use it to scrub my legs and feet. Do not waste your money!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Holy crumbs batman! This stuff is amazing!
I picked up a sample over the weekend and tried it in the shower tonight - brilliant stuff, love the scent, love the soft polished feeling that it gave me. Plus it didn't upset my dry/sensitive/eczema prone skin. The tiny pot that I got given will last me at least four goes so def a little goes a long way (and will tide me over until I get to TBS to purchase full size).
As the people below me said the grains are very fine but I really like that about it - I've been told the huge granule type exfoliators can damage your skin as they can scratch it.

Very very happy - looks like it will be my new HG.

I really really really wanted to luv this scub. First off the exfoliating particles(or whatever they're called) are way too small to really exfoliate your skin. When you use a good scrub, afterwards your skin should be smooth and soft, not with this. It works the same way a cleanser does in my case and you could buy a better scrub at a cheaper price(was $25+tax).

A bit steep for a facial scrub but my HG scrub anyway. I love how the constituency is so smooth and gentle for a scrub yet does its work so efficiently. Love how it leaves face feeling so clean, smooth and radiant.