Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol
Skinceuticals Retinol

water, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone, dimethiconol, laureth-4, laureth-23, hydrogenated lecithin, butyorspermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic/capric triglyceride, ceramide 2, ceramide 3, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, hypericum perforatum extract, propylene glycol, allyl methacrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 20, retinol, BHT, sodium polyacrylate, dimethicone PEG-7 isostearate, glycerin, polyacrylamide, C13-14 isoparaffin, leureth-7, bisabolol. rosa canina leaf extract, silybum marianum fruit extract, passiflora incarnata flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matreicaria) leaf extract, citric acid, methylsothiazolinone, tetrasodium EDTA SkinCeuticals 5/27/09

on 2/1/2017 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this product to try and get my skin used to a retinol product.
I tried for a good 6 months, and 3 times a week was all i could tolerate. My skin was always extremely dry, feeling tight, and i always had embarrassing peeling skin on about the 3rd day after use.
I read another post from someone who advised to go straight to a prescription strength Tretinoin, so off to my local GP i went, and i have never looked back.

Here in Australia, prescription strength tretinoin starts from $26, compared to the $100 skinceuticals one.
I now wake up every morning with soft moisturised skin, and i have never peeled, or suffered from red tight skin.
My advice to anyone wanting to start on retinol is to not waste your time in over the counter retinols, they cost more, and aren't as effective.
The prescription tretinoins are more emollient, and CHEAPER !!
For reference, i started off on Stevia A .25 %. No side effects whats so ever. Then i moved onto Retrieve .05% (skin feels amazingly soft the next day with this brand) Now i am about to try the highest strength.

on 12/27/2015 1:25:00 PM

I have been a Skinceuticals customer and fan for several years. Unfortunately, their inclusion of methylsothiazolinone in this product is negligent. Methylsothiazolinone is a biocide and neurotoxin. It is mainly found in drugstore shampoos and a few salon brands. I won't even buy a shampoo that contains it, and shampoos at least rinse out. I don't understand why a high end skincare brand would use this in a skincare product. Why not use oil of oregano, or colloidal silver, or something else that is not a neurotoxin? Unfortunately, it never occurred to me that Skinceuticals would include this ingredient in one of their high end products, and I purchased and used it and now must throw it out, which is the equivalent of throwing away a lot of money, but I'd rather throw away money than use a neurotoxin on my face.

Fortunately, SkinMedica offers a great alternative, and I am now using that.

on 7/7/2014 7:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This product gave me terrible breakouts. It's ok i understand there might be some purging, but being covered with acne days after days just because of this product is just unthinkable. I buy this to get better skin, not to become covered in spots and feel depressed. I stopped using it and i see in some reviews that some people continued using it for month and breakouts were still there...
For the price i am terribly disappointed. I have tried retinol before in other products so i guess the problem is from the skinceuticals one.
Before using this product, i tried the 0.3% version (commercialised in Europe) and same problem.

on 10/9/2012 9:31:00 PM

I used this product for 2 weeks off and on - I thought it was doing okay until one morning I woke up with an incredible blotchy red face and huge crepey wrinkles under my eyes - it looks like a blown up case of psoriasis or dermatitus - I hope my face goes back to normal! I'm scared I've ruined my face!!!!

on 9/26/2009 4:22:00 AM

I wish this product worked for me. My Derm recommended it for the fine lines I'm starting to notice around my eye. I've been using it for 9 weeks and it has made the fine lines MUCH worse.

I am not using it any longer and I pray my skin returns to what it was before I messed around.

on 4/11/2008 5:49:00 PM

I have very pale skin with clogged pores around the nose area. This product did absolutely nothing good for me. Actually, if anything, it made my skin greasy in the morning after I put it on at night. It was basically an oil slick in the morning and the clogged pores turned darker!!

on 3/1/2008 11:56:00 AM

This product is incredibly strong and I'd just like to say, it has ruined the skin on my forehead (luckily I didn't put this product all over my face). I always had very fine pored skin on my forehead within barely visible lines; now I have large pores and lines (I was using this to get rid of some minor acne scarring). It's been about eight weeks since using this and my skin is not back to normal. It's just damaged. I wouldn't recommend this product at all. UPDATE 2013 Years on and my skin never recovered. This caused a personal injury. It aged my skin 20 years overnight, my skin is permanently dry and takes ages to heal. A WARNING TO YOU ALL - DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

on 1/29/2008 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

UPDATE: since this experince I have used Diacenal (Avene) much stronger than this and didn't have any reaction or watsoever, and moved to Prescription retinoids such as Retin A and Tazorac and have been a blessing compared to this highly irritating thing. So if you have bad experience with this doesn't mean you can't use Rx Retinoids at all.

........................................

Orginal Post - I bought this after I used Retinol 0.5% and felt nothing at all, so I bought this one and after two nights my skin has become red and sore and feel very very sensitive, only Jojoba Oil could help the irritation.

I am very sad because I wanted this to work so much but it wasn't meant to be for my skin. Maybe I am going to try Avene Ysthreal Creme or Eluage from Avene that deals with Sensitive Skins when my skin and I feel better.

Also I WOUD RECOMEND that before you use this if it's your first Retinoid experience or you are upgrading from Retinol 0.5% like I did to just use a part on your neck or face where you can test the product and you can conceal later before you use it all over the face and see how the skin reacts, like they do at the Hairdressers before you dye your hair. DO A TEST.

They said this is the mildest Retinoid over the counter..I am just thinking ...Bloody hell how the others must be !! or maybe I reacted to one ingredient and I have no idea which one it is !

on 3/24/2016 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I used an entire tube and didn't bother to repurchase. I've moved on to find another retinol and am currently trying ZO Skin 1% retinol, it's much stronger, but yields better results.
Pros:
- reduced my wrinkles on forehead significantly enough to notice
- didn't cause redness, or a reaction and my skin is sensitive with mild rosacea

Cons:
- I could never recover from the dryness, particularly in the winter
- it didn't do much for my acne/clogged pores

I used this primarily to unclog my skin, I suffer from comedones on my jawline, it looks like little bumps everywhere and really bothers me, Because this product didn't reduce that I didn't repurchase. I also could never recover or acclimate to the product even when I got up to using it daily, the dryness just persisted.

I've since read another reviewers comments on a nasty chemical in the formula so I wouldn't touch it now even if it did work.

on 1/6/2015 9:12:00 PM

This is not for retinol novices! If anyone is new to retinol maybe try skinceuticals 's 0.5 retinol instead of this 1.0 version. Way too harsh / strong for my skin and I literally felt burned after using this for only 2 times. Had to return it back to Dermstore, which is a great site that accepts reasonable returns/exchanges.