Silk Elements Megasilk Heat Protection Spray

Silk Elements Megasilk Heat Protection Spray

3.6

on 5/9/2016 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this spray because a friend recommended it but I wish I had saved my money!! I used this on 2nd day hair before using a curling iron. I understood that this formula was specifically for use with heated styling tools, which have a higher temp that just blow drying. I sprayed this product all over my hair and then proceeded to use the curling iron. However, I noticed that my hair looked incredibly oily but it certainly wasn't dirty to start with. This spray made my hair a greasy mess! So much so that I ended up wearing my hair in an updo that day. Obviously this is a heavy silicone product that isn't great for medium/fine hair. I usually use Living Proof Restore heat spray but want to find a less expensive alternative. So far, these efforts have fallen flat because nothing I've tried so far has in any way compared to LP. It has no oils or silicone and doesn't make my hair the least bit oily or greasy, even if I use it every day. I'm going to continue my search for a lower price heat spray but am not optimistic. Every single one I've tried so far has been very greasy and weighed my hair down. I'm going to continue my search and when I have found something suitable, I'll update this review. But this Silk Elements spray is a big time loser. It's definitely going back to Sally's. I most certainly don't recommend it unless you have coarse hair.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have been buying and using this product (in the cream form though, instead of spray) for years. It makes my hair feel soft, it smells nice, and leaves a great finishing gloss after straightening or blow-drying. It only costs around $8 and seems to last for a few months.

My recommendation would be to start with a small amount because a little goes a long way, and using too much will make your hair appear greasy or weighed down as some have mentioned. I usually apply one pump after I shower and let it sit in my hair until I am ready to style (blow-dry or straighten) at a later time. If you plan on using it directly on already dried hair, then you need to give it a minute to soak in and dry before immediately starting to style.

To Read all 47 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/12/2015 2:07:00 AM

Greasy formula. Hate it

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is my HG heat protectant. I have been using it for years, and refuse to use anything else. It makes my hair feel so incredibly soft, but you do have to be careful because if you spray too much it will definitely make your hair look greasy. Overall, I think this product will work best on girls who have thicker hair. Girls with fine hair should stay away or risk looking like an oil slick.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I received this as a free gift at my locals Sally store when I renewed my membership.

I actually love this stuff. It leaves my hair feeling soft and makes it look healthy. Only downside if you spray too much, it will make your look and feel really greasy.

I have thick, medium length hair.

My holy grail is the Tresemme thermal heat protectant but I would purchase this product with my own money.

on 10/7/2014 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't know what everyone else problem is, but I love it. Some of you guys are saying its greasy and weigh your hair done. It's not greasy at all on my hair nor does it weigh my hair done. It makes my hair nice and bouncy. Maybe it just doesn't work on every hair type. I spray it on each section before I flat iron it, and its still has life. Maybe you guys are using too much.

Absolutely hated it. I used it once and I noticed my hair was very greasy. I thought this could have been because I sprayed it on and did it while my hair was dry. I sprayed it into my palm and applied it to wet hair and when it dried my hair looked beyond greasy. I had to use a dry shampoo after. I think this product might work okay for people with VERY dry hair.

on 9/14/2014 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Nasty stinky oily. Yuk!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Made my hair so greasy and weighed down! Went in the garbage after one spray.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Bought a 2 oz bottle from Sallys because I've decided if possible, I am only going to buy sample sizes of products before purchasing the whole shebang. It was on super sale at Sallys so I think I got it for less than 5 dollars...that's the baby size btw.
For my hair, I was coloring it frequently, I wash daily (both shamp& cond) and straighten every day just about. It's a shoulder length a bob with some layering.
Anyhoo, I read reviews that overuse of this product will cause greasiness, which I experienced the first time. I did not penalize the product for that, only myself.

However, I am confused as to how to thoroughly apply something that cannot be over applied. It's a catch 22 of sorts because I have medium thick hair and the shafts and ends need the most protection yet it's hard to disperse the product evenly? So what I do now, is seperate my hair into sections as I do when straightening, starting from bottom to top. then I do a couple light sprays several inches away from my head and then comb it through.

I do find that this product, when used appropriately, leaves my hair soft as silk. But the tiniest excess makes my hair heavy, slick, and flat...
Also, I'd put the scent in the con bucket. It smells extremely dated and heavy. I can't imagine this being geared towards women 60 and ^ but thats what it smells like...

all in all, use with caution and spray a nice perfume around your neck region :)

Popular Hair Treatments