Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer

4.5

on 3/29/2016 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Sensitive scalp HaHaHa ya right this crap burned my scalp so badly. my stylist ran out of CHI and had to use this stuff, she didn't even get to finish applying it and had to rinse it out ASAP I now have blisters on my scalp. I would NEVER buy or recommend this product to anyone

Love! I used this in 10 volume after I accidentally over-applied a high lift red color (L'oreal HiColor magenta) to my roots which left them a bit lighter. I used this with Ion Demi 3rv which was the exact color of my lengths to deposit some color without lightening and blend it all in. It worked perfectly! Normally I use 40 volume with HiColor and that doesn't even irritate my scalp, so by no means is it sensitive. But I got this one because after using a 40, I wanted something super gentle just in case I could possibly irritate my scalp by putting something more harsh on it. The smell is very light and doesn't cause me to choke or get watery eyes like a lot can. And it's cheap! $2 for the small bottle but I can get two uses out of my Ion dye for my roots, so this tiny thing lasts me 2-3 months.

To Read all 31 Reviews, Login or Join

I have naturally thick, black straight-ish hair and I use this to lighten my roots with Ion's powder lightener. I can get away with 20 volume if my roots are about 1 cm, past that I don't think it will get to yellow fast enough without the heat from my scalp. It itches, but it doesn't burn like it does when I go to the salon and go under the heat...

After lightening I use Wella Color Charm Gel colour with this and it works just fine with the added bonus of it not burning my scalp unbearably like it does at the salon. I was worried I needed to get the Wella brand developer but that's not the case.

Smell is pretty nice but it will obviously still smell like bleach.

I also use this with the powder lightener to lighten my eyebrows and it works quite nicely. Be veeerrryyy careful when doing this. Wear swimming goggles to be extra safe.

on 8/5/2015 4:51:00 PM

I have been using this 20 volume developer for several years..Easy on the scalp with great results.

on 12/12/2014 12:09:00 PM

Ok I have always used the generic sally's developer. Zero issues.
I used 10 volume Ion Sensitive scalp (it was only on for 10 mins). I liked the scent. However, out of nowhere I had oily scalp ( I mean very oily which lasted 4 weeks). My scalp still itches a lot and it gave me dandruff for 3 weeks. I have never had dandruff in my life. I have colored my hair with professional products for 28 years. I went to cosmetology school at age 15. I have never had this happen. I do not like this developer. Shame because it smelled so nice my boyfriend commented on it. But no no no. Today is 5 weeks after coloring and my scalp is itching STILL. It itches like I just colored it with bad developer yesterday after 5 weeks??? Ugh.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Excellent product, Amazing smell compared to most developers used with lightening powder. Used the Ion Sensitive Scalp 20 Volume developer with Loreal Quick Blue powder to do my roots and within 40 minutes including application time I had the platinum color I needed to match the rest of my hair. Makes up keep simple and well worth the time and money not spent at a salon for someone else to do what I can do myself.

I can't tell you how many bottles of this I go through. I used it in 20 with their ammonia-free bleach. I took my hair from brown to platinum white over the course of a few bleachings spread over the year with this stuff. It's awesome. I use it for my roots too. I always have used Ion and probably always will.

on 10/5/2013 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Keep coming back to this - only buy salon care if I'm feelin cheap or maybe I'll buy a matching developer (i.e. Schwarzkopf Blondme bleach + peroxide) if I'm feeling fancy! But quick anecdote to prove how for me this is really more kind to the noggin: in an extremely unwise and ineffectual lightening maneuver, I used wella frosty ash 12a with salon care 20 and it burned!! Nothing usually burns me. It oddly made my light hair darker ash blonde! Grrrrrrrrr. This same product has made my hair white before! Then, that SAME DAY (I know, cringe), I bleached using quick blue and sensitive scalp 30. Hey I was hell bent on white hair that day. No burning whatsoever! (And I got my desired color). Smells good too!!! Worth the extra buck in my opinion over salon care.

on 7/24/2013 10:46:00 PM

This developer is so awesome. It doesnt burn my scalp and the smell is tolerable. Its so cheap and Ill always use this for my dyes.

I have the Ion sensitive 30 developer I mix this with Loreal Quick Blue Bleach to turn my jet black hair into a nice blond color!!
Be careful while bleaching your hair try not to get It on your scalp it burns....
Buying there products saves your money if you like bleaching your hair doing root touch ups at home instead of goin to the salon!! love this developer works great