Ulta Ulta- whole store

Filtered by age: 19-24
No Image

3.5

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm done shopping at Ulta. I feel like crap every time I shop there. I just want to look around and buy what I want without feeling like I'm being followed or be asked "can I help you" every 3 seconds. I'm not trying to steal your precious makeup, I'm a polite normal person and I just want to have a pleasant shopping experience just once when I'm there. I'm sick of the valley girl put on accents and the eye rolling. Is it so wrong to just shop normally like you would at any other store? Am I doing something wrong when I go to Ulta? This is the only store I get treated weird in. Sorry, your not getting anymore of my money.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE Ulta! The stores I have been to are: the Green Valley location in Las Vegas, Nevada on Stephanie Street; the Silverado Ranch location on Eastern Blvd in Las Vegas, Nevada; the location in Waldorf in Maryland; and the location in White Marsh in Maryland. All of these locations have been clean and the employees, for the most part, helpful. There have been a couple employees in the Las Vegas locations that were snobby, unhelpful, and even ignored me. It was in the Stephanie location where a man passed by me and asked, "Do you need help with anything?" while walking past me. He didn't even LOOK at me or pause, he just continued walking. I said, "Yes, please. I have a question..." and he continued walking past me. I walked in his direction and said, "Excuse me?..." and he turned around, looked at me with a confused expression, and then continued walking away and went in the back of the store. That was incredibly rude. It literally seemed like he was just asking to ask because that's what employees are expected to do and was disturbed that I had the gall to actually request his presence.

It seems that different locations carry different products. If you're looking for something in particular, I suggest calling the store you're going to before you go in to ask if they have that specific product in the specific shade you need available. I have done this and most employees are kind enough to get the product and hold it up front for me so I can come in later that day to pick it up. I have gone to Ulta countless times to get something in particular and found they don't have it all or don't have it in stock. It just is what it is. Perhaps you can call and ask the location nearest to you to order something if they don't have it. I don't recall doing this yet, so I don't know how that will work out.

The main reasons I love this store are because of the coupons. You can get a free membership card to use online and in store. With this card they usually send you a monthly or bi-weekly catalog with new products, on sale products, and a $3.50 off coupon for purchases over $10 before tax. Yes, it includes sale and clearance items! I don't think it applies for certain products though, so read the fine print. I've never purchased a product yet that it didn't apply to. However, I downloaded the app Shopular on my iphone which gives me coupons to the stores I walk into. I can use the same $3.50 off coupon inside the app with the barcode I receive as many times as I want instead of using one coupon every catalog I receive. This is much more efficient. For example, over the weekend I went in and purchased a self-tanner that was $13. I got it for $9.50. Later on I went back in and bought quite a few clearance and on sale items that were originally $10.50 altogether and only paid $7. I am planning on going back this week to purchase a foundation that is $12 and I'll only pay $8.50. So you can see how having a free membership and using the coupons can really be economical.

Plus, at the end of the year in December, depending on how many products you purchased during the calendar year and how much money you spent, they send you free things and take additional money off of purchases. Great when buying Christmas gifts from there.

Lastly, the reason I love Ulta is because they finally have started carrying my favorite self-tanner, St. Moriz (the St. Tropez knock off). Formerly this product was only available in Europe because it is manufactured in England. The only way to get it was by buying it online through places like Amazon, which could lead you to end up with tampered, false, or watered down products. Now that Ulta has it I can purchase it from an American retailer any time I need to and I know it's authentic and safe.

on 7/12/2015 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

The good:
-carries drugstore products (plus NYX, which can be hard to find)
-provides far more coupons and discount opportunities than Sephora does
-more down-to-earth staff compared to Sephora

The bad:
-never seems to be well-stocked
-SA's not particularly knowledgeable
-drugstore products more expensive at Ulta for some reason
-testers are always disgusting or broken
-online orders take an eternity to arrive

My most consistent problem with Ulta stores is lack of stock. I rarely have this problem with Sephora. However, Sephora stores always seem to be loud and cramped, and while their staff are more knowledgeable, I can be pestered by 3 or 4 different SA's in a single visit to Sephora whereas I find Ulta SA's will usually give me some space until I ask for help. Ulta also has a better rewards system and more opportunities for discounts. Truthfully, though, if it weren't for Ulta's more comfortable atmosphere, their sales/rewards, and the NYX products, I would probably never go.

on 7/17/2014 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Man, after reading some of these reviews, I'm just puzzled. But to be completely honest, it really all does depend on location and the people you get. My Ulta, in Colorado Springs, CO, is amazing. People there are never too pushy, nor do they ever ignore you. When I was looking confused and puzzled about something, a girl came up to me and simply said if I needed any help, I said "No thank you" and she walked away. After 5 minutes of trying to figure it out myself, I gave up and went up to the same girl and she smiled at me and jokingly said "See, I knew you would need my help!" and she was super super helpful. Every single girl I have talked to there has been awesome. Another day I wanted to try something and had done some research but I still wasn't sure what would work best for me, so I walked up to one of the girls who just happen to be around the Urban Decay section, and asked her. Though it seemed like her main focus was Urban Decay, she walked me over to the drugstore section and actually recommended a few things, and even told me not to get a certain products I was looking at due to my skin tone being too pale, she recommended getting a different product instead, which just so happened to be cheaper!

Every single item I'm looking for (except new stuff, sometimes those go flying off the shelves!) is always there. They keep the whole place clean and tidy, and all the girls there working are knowledgeable. I never leave with something I dislike, and I am always able to return it, even if I opened it and used it.

I can't say I have ever had issues with the rewards point system. Nor have I ever had issues with the coupons not being taken (I never buy anything but drugstore though, because I just can't afford it, even with coupons and deals, etc.).

TL;DR: I really like my Ulta, I never have issues there, and I am always treated nicely and not like a thief. Store is always clean, friendly staff, and stocked reasonably.

by far the best store i have ever been to. i love ulta

on 10/27/2013 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The closest Ulta to my house is a 2 hr train ride away. I don't shop there often. I like how I can find high-end and drug store cosmetics in the same place. The sales associates aren't eager to help if you can't find something. I was looking all over the store for a facial brush but couldn't find it and no one come up to me to offer help. The cashier was super nice. My Google coupon wouldn't load on my phone but she asked me which coupon it was and gave me the discount. I don't know big the other Ulta stores are, but I feel the one in Queens is not that big. It is the same size as an average Sephora. But since Ulta carries both high end and low end stuff and Sephora only has high end, I was expecting the store to be twice the size of Sephora. If they would open a store closer to me I would shop there more often. 2 hr train ride is too long.

on 8/1/2013 8:55:00 PM

At the Ulta in my location, I have been lucky enough not to encounter too many rude or unpleasant sales associates like many others seem to... For the most part, they seem to not know much about their products, but they are always pleasant enough. My only complaint would be the fact that they claim there is no waiting list for products and they have never once offered to order what I have been looking for (I have been looking for the Mario Badescu Ceramide Herbal Eye Cream for at least the last month and a half and each time had the associate go look in the drawers and the back for me, and always made other purchases while I am in the store so the trip was not a complete waste of time). So, if the shalves were stocked more, I may not have an issue shopping here. Also, my Ulta is not very generous with the samples they have behind the counter, even when making a large purchase. I was also informed during my last visit that the samples shown in the magazine only apply to online orders and not purchases made in store.

I do appreciate the fact that I can get all my drugstore and a number of high end products in one location, which is nice. But if the nearest Sephora wasn't an hour and a half away, I definitely would shop there for these products instead.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The Ulta SA are so rude to me. I asked one of the girls if I could try a sample of a primer that I clearly saw a box of small samples of behind the counter and she said no we don't have any. Always rude service. Never anyone to help.

on 7/24/2013 10:41:00 PM

My local Ulta is awesome! The SAs are surprisingly kind and helpful (I've been to some with some pretty god awful SAs) and the store is very organized. I go here for mostly DS items that I can never seem to find anywhere else, such as NYX and Essence. I wish they stocked the DS side more often because usually the NYX lipsticks are all gone. But, they always have great sales! So I will continue buying from this location until I move. I prefer Sephora for HE sales, though.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I have been trying to make an order on ULTA.com for days and continue to encounter problems resulting in the message, "We are experiencing difficulty processing your order. Please try again later or use another payment method". Despite trying three different internet browsers, using a payment method that is successful on several other major websites, attempting at different times of the day, etc. there has been no resolution. The response I get from their customer service team? A standard response that is copied and pasted, saying to check that my details are correct. It seems to me that they don't care if they have customers or not. Lastly, I just discovered that with each attempt I made there is now a pending charge on my account! It is not worth all the time and hassle, I would highly recommend going with Sephora or Walgreen's for your beauty and cosmetic products as they make shopping a pleasant experience and manage their businesses professionally. Do an internet search for 'problems with ULTA website' and apparently this is a recurring issue.

Popular Other Products