La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Ecalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Alfalfa Seed Powder, Sunflower Seedcake, Sweet Almond Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

I am not going to go ecstatic like the media has for years and years over this cream, but I like it enough to keep buying it despite the exorbitant cost. I know I will get super soft skin from it, but I think it is mainly the scent and luxury feel. The La Mer loose powder is the best powder I have ever known, and the concealer is first class. I just like the line over all for it's high quality feel and performance.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have oily yet sensitive skin. I’m 48 and am still prone to break outs. I hate that I love this cream so much. When I use it, people notice. My skin looks supple and hydrated. Glowing. The smell is peculiar. I can’t lie. It reminds me of diaper cream which I find soothing and my daughters find comforting. But, it does smell like diaper cream. Like all the former reviewers though, you have to commit to using it properly. It feels like a waste to warm it up in your hands, but that’s the only way it works. It needs to feel almost like water when you pat it into your face. You need to warm it up in your palms so that it is warm. Feels like a waste of cream, but that’s the only way for it to work. Once it is warm between your palms, pat it into your skin. Your friends and colleagues will notice when you are using it. They all ask me what I have done!! And, it doesn’t break me out. I’ve been using it for two years, and I am extremely break out prone.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Overrated, overhyped and overpriced. Buy yourself a tub of Nivea and you'll have a product that's 99% similar for a fraction of the cost. What does sea algae really do for the skin? Is there scientific evidence for it? Likely not. All these "anti-aging" ingredients have limited evidence-based research to support the claims of the company.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had been using a cleanser, a sample of which I got at my skin doctor's office. Then winter hit and my skin had dry, ugly, peeling spots around my eyes, nose and upper lip. Well I started using this La Mer moisturizing cream, morning and night, and low and behold, the dryness disappeared. Yes, it is horrendously expensive but it is the best moisturizer I've ever used. I now use it without using serum, so if I don't buy serum again, that saves some money. I rate the packaging low because although it's ok, I think it's a terrible waste.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I know the price is over the top and one of the ingredients is mineral oil, but it is the only moisturizer that works for me during winter minths. Because of the steep price, I do rotate it with other creams but this is the one where when I wake up in the morning, my skin actually feels moisturized and not at all dry or tight. I am consistently told what great skin I have so for now, Creme de la Mer stays on my shelf.

I feel this product is overrated. First of all, I believe it is too heavy, made my 54 year old skin breakout, did not make my skin smooth at all, really expensive, and most of all, I can't stand the smell. All of Hollywood may use it, but not for me. I really don't understand why everyone aspires to this line.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

this product is the only one my skin loves. I have very reactive, acne-prone skin. I can find moisturizers that hydrate my skin, but they normally clog my pores, cause irritation, or acne. La Mer calms, soothes, hydrates, HEALS, & repairs my skin. It even heals acne that won't go away (I'm not sure how, but it does!) For several months, I've been trying different moisturizer brands, & my skin is a mess. I now have a couple of zits that just want to live on my face forever.

Overpriced and underperforms

I read sooooo many reviews about this product. Let’s be honest it’s been around for years i just never had the money to afford it. Finally gave in. Quite a think consistency so good for people with very dry skin. Takes a while to rub in since it’s so thick. Unfortunately this did not work out for my sensitive acne prone skin because it broke me out terribly. Huge cystic pimples. Such s shame of destroyed my face but at least now I’ll know and won’t have to give up anything to afford buying this again in the future.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After reading all the articles, reviews, and “myths” of this cult classic, I became obsessed with trying this product. I don’t have a La Mer counter near me, so I decided I would wait to get a sample. So around the time I was going to visit Dallas for the holidays, I got a voucher for a free sample of The Soft Cream, which was just launching at the time. I was so excited. I’m fairly young with combination skin, so the Soft Cream seemed like an even better match! Cut to putting the Soft Cream on - my skin was instantly was irritated, and had two cysts within 24 hours. I was disappointed that this “miracle” product messed with my skin so badly, but relieved I wasn’t hooked.
But still, I kept reading raves about the face saving qualities of Creme de La Mer. So when I was in Saks with my grandmother, I decided to not give up and asked for samples of the original La Mer. I’m so glad I did!
Before I go any further, I will say I use this product in a weird way. I know that this product is known as being extremely heavy and intensely moisturizing. But my skin seems to crave more moisture after application. So I use this like a serum, and apply a good dollop of Night of Olay’s Firming Cream (ironic to apply a $6 cream on top of the $100 La Mer.)
I wake up with the calmest, moisturized, glowy skin. Anytime my skin is freaking out or is in need of intense moisture/repair, I was my face with Aveeno Calming Foam Cleanser, press/pat La Mer in my skin, and then smear Night of Olay all over, and I wake up with my skin okay again.
I will say that I hate the packaging with a passion. Even though all my favorite moisturizers come in jars, I hate them. I think the logo is unappealing, the plastic almost comes off as cheap, and I find the whole thing bland. I would personally think that a cream that has the status, reputation, and price tags it does, the company would have more appealing packaging. But I guess that would rise the already high price tag, and also “if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.”
Now, to address the German Nivea business. After discovering Makeupalley and reading reviews of Creme de La Mer, I heard about the “similarities” of German Nivea and Creme de La Mer. So when I saw I could get German Nivea through Amazon Prime, I pounced.
Many disagree, but I get the same/similar results from German Nivea (not the kind from Mexico - breakout city) that I do from Creme de La Mer. There are differences in scent, texture, and absorption, but I have not found any differences in the moisture and calming effects between the two creams. I use the German Nivea the same as La Mer (under Night of Olay). So, obviously, I use Nivea as a permanent alternative to La Mer, due to price. That said, I always keep a sample of La Mer in the back of one of my vanity drawers. They are THE MOST moisturizing creams I’ve tried. No other serum, lotion, cream, oil, balm, etc. has ever delivered the amount of hydration and moisture these two creams do.
So overall:
First - get a sample. Unless you don’t have much of budget, this cream is an investment.
Second - if you like the sample, give German Nivea a try. The price difference is worth it.
Results: A
Price: D+
Packaging: F
Overall: C+