La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Ecalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Alfalfa Seed Powder, Sunflower Seedcake, Sweet Almond Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I know I maybe a bit too young to try on this but I was suffering from very dry skin, like really really dry skin
I used to have combination skin which didn't need attention, I can just put any moisturizer on and that's okay
but after I've tried some base make-up for a few times, my skin turned really really dry to the point that it hurts.

So, I've decided to try on this one and I can see changes within a month, in the first two weeks 60% of
my usual dry patches are gone and it kinda stop there, so, I decided to buy a bottle of renewal oil too.
Put Creme de La Mer together with the oil and the changes is prominent. My colleges notice the change,
I told her about my dry skin and a few weeks after I tried it she was like 'your skin doesn't look so dry now'.

I might buy a new one after this one run out but that's up to my financial status then,
since it way too expensive for me but I was desperate. I wouldn't suggest this to people with healthy skin
or my friends of the same age since I don't think 25 years old people would need this or can afford this
except for those who has skin problem or really dry skin and was desperate like me.

P.S. I rate this 4 of 5 since it's a bit hard to use, you need to warm it up and gently apply it,
can't just glide the cream on your face like softer moisturizer. It's a bit of nuisance to me.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Okay, so I have read EVERY single review up to about October 2012. That's eleven years' worth. And I will finish them all. I just want to throw mine in.
A sizeable number who rated it poorly never used it. They looked at the ingredients and decided it was no good. These, I suppose, are the same people who decide they don't like Kelly because of what they heard about Kelly despite not actually having interacted with Kelly at any time.
Those people can be written off entirely, frankly.
Another large chunk of negativity comes from people who used it for three days or two weeks ( two weeks being commonly cited as adequate to know whether anything does or doesn't work).
These, i suppose, are the same people who diet or work out for two weeks or a month and then, when they still don't look like Kate Moss or Ronda Rousey, decide the diet sux or exercise didn't work, they must just be genetically cursed.
Those people can almost all be written off, except the ones who actually had bad reactions. No sense slogging through something you're clearly sensitized to.
Lastly, a significant percentage of the leftover negatives are from people UNDER THIRTY who had fairly normal skin.
You lucky things, you! This product, despite the hype, is not for you, though it's not your fault you got starry-eyed on the hype.
But if you look at the reviews from people over thirty-five and/or who had REAL problem skin, they account for the majority of the rave reviews.
I am in both these groups. I'm 38 this year and I've always had dry skin. Like, medically worrisome dry. On my forehead and the cheeks under my eyes/side of nose there develop red patches that sting. And I mean they get RED, like someone burned me with a curling iron. And that's almost how much they sting sometimes. They then turn into patches of dry scaly skin that flake away, and I mean big flakes, some the size of my pinky nail. You can't put makeup on that, it looks even worse. I can peel them off with tweezers and hurt myself or I can wait for them to dry up and fall off, at which point I look almost normal until the cycle is mysteriously triggered again.
I have used EVERYTHING. CeraVe and Cetaphil burn the living hell out of my face. SkinFix? Burns. Olay? Worse. Every single 'drugstore' brand burns me, with the one exception of Nivea and ONLY the plain one in the blue jar. It doesn't burn me, but it doesn't fix it, either. It just keeps things moist and nice between flare ups. Cortisone doesn't work. I've used a dozen LUSH products, Full of Grace being the only semi-success. Coconut oil, jojoba, sea buckthorn, argan, kukui, you name the oil, I have it. I LOVE oils. And they keep things okay in between but don't soothe flare ups in progress, especially coconut oil.
Raw cocoa butter? Nope. Raw shea butter comes close, and I do use it. Chamomile and lavender oil and such, sting when I add them to things. I'm telling you that I try everything and it's demoralizing to still hurt and know I look like a leper when the patches are acting up.
This product DOES make them less red and scaly. I don't care what you want to claim about how all-hippie ingredients are 'best'...I'm telling you I have all the raw organic stuff you do and then some. They do not perform equally.
It doesn't even make sense what you're claiming, that there's no way X can work for anyone because it didn't work for you.
Tylenol doesn't work for me. Advil doesn't work. Aleve is what works on me. But you don't see me telling you that Tylenol is scamming you and if you say Tylenol works you must be God's prize idiot. Some of these reviewers are way too angry and actually are claiming anyone who got any benefit is dim or too stuck-up to admit it's 'just Nivea'.
Not every molecule or compound elicits the same effect on every human body. Sorry.
(I own both North American and German Nivea,?btw, and they are not the same. Yes, many of the ingredients are shared, but that's like saying a piece of toast is the same thing as a slice of cake because they have a lot of the same ingredients).

I don't know what they do to the ingredients that's different but the patches on my face say it IS different. I do not care that the ingredients aren't 100% hippie-approved, because it works and the other stuff usually doesn't. Do I want to feel self-righteous that i avoid petroleum products or do I want my face to stop burning??
I fully support the argument that this is not for anyone who doesn't have a real injury or truly dry skin ( I can put Aquaphor or Vaseline on my face and not be greasy in a couple of hours) but if you DO have a real skin problem do try it.
It IS shamefully expensive so do get a sample but get it FROM a counter or someone you trust got it at a counter. Do not buy it on eBay or Amazon no matter how tempted you are. This is one of the biggest counterfeit magnets there is. Yeah, you MIGHT luck out. Or you might get God knows what. I have had fakes from both venues, some in real jars, and I only knew because I'd had the real thing. Thank the stars I don't have to use it daily but if you do, you truly do only need the teeniest dot. A smudge the size of a Q-tip head is enough for my whole face if it's warmed up so it is clear and liquids. I do not know that I believe the hocky about activating the broth that way, but it's totes the case that you need a LOT LESS if you do it their way and that it seems to soak in faster.

Sample it if you have really troubled, injured skin. But try it for awhile, not a week. Best of luck.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have used La Mer products since the late 90's and at 53 yrs old and a product junkie, I have tried all of them. I have sensitive, not just acne prone, but cystic acne prone skin. I have used the original La Mer consistently since 1998, along with the Moisturizing Lotion and several other La Mer products off and on as well. I have never suffered a break out from either moisturizer and the original has saved my skin on numerous occasions. The original is one of the best treatments post Chemical Peel or Micro Derm that I have ever used. Because I have cystic acne scars, I have had many Peels and Micro Derms over the years, tried many different products for post procedure and always come back to La Mer. My clinician thought La Mer was a big hype until I brought her a large sample, which after using, she also became a La Mer junkie. I am more than a little upset over one of the reviews because the reviewer didn't actually ever use the product, so had no actual personal experience with it, simply reviewed it based on ingredients and price. I read people's reviews for products because I am a product junkie, so I want to know what someone else's actual experience is with said product. Like I mentioned, I have used just about all of the major moisturizers on the market, Kiehls, Bobbie Brown, Chanel, Clinique, Origins, Neutrogena, Oil of Olay, Skinceuticals, Skin Medica, CeraVe, just to name a few, none have ever worked as well as La Mer has for me personally. I hope this helps somebody else.

I'm basing this review on a sample I received. The cream is rich and glides on nicely with a luxurious feel. It's definitely rich, but to be honest, I can't justify buying it for the price. I've used other drugstore creams that feels similar and seems to work just as well. Perhaps you need to use it longer to see results but judging from the other reviews here I probably will not take the risk.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'm 46 and am regularly thought to be in my 20's, even by teenagers and 20 somethings. I attribute this to decent genes (thanks, Mom) and gentle skincare. (A healthy diet doesn't hurt, either.) CDLM works extremely well for my skin but I suspect it's just a really great sealant and that the "miracle broth" has little to do with it's effectiveness. I suspect it works by providing an excellent barrier, allowing the skin to retain the proper moisture and balance necessary to take optimal care of itself. An excellent barrier also protects against harsh environments/conditions. I use it in tandem with my (almost) holy grail moisturizer (and a serum), especially in cooler months, and it helps keep my very dry skin in optimal condition without adverse reaction.

My skin is sensitive and prone to blemishes and rosacea breakouts with certain common skincare ingredients. I can't use this on the bridge of my nose or between my eyes without getting a few teeny tiny red blemishes but it's wonderful everywhere else. My skincare routine effectively keeps these problems at bay. The tougher problem for me to tackle is that most skincare products bother my sinuses after they've soaked in and give me terrible headaches, especially if they have any kind of fragrance. This doesn't bother me that way at all, even though it has a mild fragrance. I was extremely surprised. I keep trying other products because I think the price is pure marketing tactic, but I continue to use it because nothing else has gotten the job done as well. When I try other products, I also find that many leave me with prominent pores, less even skin tone, etc.

Again, this isn't the work-horse moisturizer/product in my routine, but it's proven an integral part in obtaining the best condition possible for my skin. I've been using it for about 10 years. One 2oz jar lasts me 2+ years with daily use. A little goes a very long way. (I usually just buy the 1oz jar because I prefer not to keep it that long, but it does seem to keep very well.)

I'm surprised that someone called the packaging "cheap" and "plastic-like". They're right that it's plain but I like that. It's heavy glass, which certainly isn't travel friendly, but seems to do a good job in preserving it along with the plastic inner lid. When it comes to packaging, the primary things I care about are how well it will keep the product in optimal condition and how easily I can get at it without making a mess. If it can be travel friendly, that's a great bonus. CDLM does transfer easily to a tiny plastic jar. I use an old CDLM trial size jar that has a much better seal than comparably sized travel jars.

Way overpriced for what it is: mineral oil, fragrance, and some plant extracts. This product embodies what is wrong with the beauty industry: celebrity driven, high cost, ineffective, and poor ingredients.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wouldn't consider this cream anti-aging as some make think. Its healing, moisturizing and works well on top of retin-A. Its rich but sinks in quickly if you have dry thirsty skin like me. It is overpriced, but I haven't found anything else bland enough that doesn't clog my skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I got this as a gift and have been using it for the past 8 weeks - and my skin loves it. I'm a skincare junkie, I love to try out creams and oils and serums and I have a small collection of favorites that seem to work. My skin is in a good shape, thanks to my addiction, although it gets quickly dehydrated (I travel a lot). Yet I saw an improvement when I started to use CDLM. My skin looks plumper, I even get compliments on how well-hydrated it looks. My neck has improved the most. No matter what I use, even creams and serums designed especially for that zone, the skin there is always dry and rough. Aging, ugh! But since I started to use CDLM, it's sooo much softer. Very noticeably so. So there must be something to that 'miracle broth'.

I read a lot of complaints about how 'tacky' and greasy it feels. I think it's all a matter of application. You really have to apply it as advised - warm the cream (and a little goes a long way!) first until it becomes 'fluid' and then pat it in. It's quickly absorbed and leaves my skin dewy. Will have to see how it holds up now the weather is getting colder, but so far so good!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a great moisturizer, but IMO absolutely not worth the hefty price tag. It's hard to speak to the long term effects of an ingredient like fermented algae after only a few months of use, and perhaps all the older women raving about CDLM know something that I don't, but I suspect that, while this product may have been a game changer when it came out, CDLM has long been eclipsed by better and much more affordable skin creams. I guess we will know in fifty years! As for myself, I'm going back to my HG Kiehl's Rosa Arctica. Super moisturizing, lasts forever, and one-third the price of La Mer for an equivalent amount of product.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Let me begin by describing my skin - 60 year old, sensitive and dry. It's heading from humid summer weather to crisp, dry fall. So I'm expecting my skin to take a turn for the worse - dryness wise. I can usually get enough moisture through the night with Neutrogena Healthy Skin and then topping it off with a heavy duty moisturizer. I tried this Creme De La Mer and love the soft feeling and the way it keeps dry skin at bay. I have super sensitive skin that is irritated easily from just about anything. Irritation rund from stinging to dry patches to red eczema. Thankfully this cream gave no irritation. I can even use it around my eyes with no issue.

What is my dilemma is that most all foundations will go on nicely in the morning but halfway through the day my skin will get dry patchy spots. So I figured I'd try the Creme de La Mer under my foundation. I was a little skeptical that it might be too greasy and my foundation wouldn't hold up throughout the day. Wrong on both accounts. The La Mer settled in nicely after about 10 minutes and my foundation applied nicely with no pilling. To my surprise the foundation actually held up better than with my usual primer and absolutely no dry spots or patches came through. I'm really super excited to finally find an option for me that keeps my skin hydrated throughout the day. Also the finish of the foundation over La Mer is really nice. Not glowy but not matte - very natural and flawless.

I know this cream is ridiculously expensive but my skin has never been so happy. Hope this helps for others out there with sensitive, dry mature skin.

Update: Well my skin was super happy for about 4 days and then I started getting red raised spots on my face. Kind of like pimples, but not really. I haven't had pimples since in my 20's and this La Mer was the only change in my routine. I would say I'm allergic to something in the formula. Stopped using and although I loved this cream initially, I am unable to continue using it.