La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Ecalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Alfalfa Seed Powder, Sunflower Seedcake, Sweet Almond Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

I feel this product is overrated. First of all, I believe it is too heavy, made my 54 year old skin breakout, did not make my skin smooth at all, really expensive, and most of all, I can't stand the smell. All of Hollywood may use it, but not for me. I really don't understand why everyone aspires to this line.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

this product is the only one my skin loves. I have very reactive, acne-prone skin. I can find moisturizers that hydrate my skin, but they normally clog my pores, cause irritation, or acne. La Mer calms, soothes, hydrates, HEALS, & repairs my skin. It even heals acne that won't go away (I'm not sure how, but it does!) For several months, I've been trying different moisturizer brands, & my skin is a mess. I now have a couple of zits that just want to live on my face forever.

I read sooooo many reviews about this product. Let’s be honest it’s been around for years i just never had the money to afford it. Finally gave in. Quite a think consistency so good for people with very dry skin. Takes a while to rub in since it’s so thick. Unfortunately this did not work out for my sensitive acne prone skin because it broke me out terribly. Huge cystic pimples. Such s shame of destroyed my face but at least now I’ll know and won’t have to give up anything to afford buying this again in the future.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After reading all the articles, reviews, and “myths” of this cult classic, I became obsessed with trying this product. I don’t have a La Mer counter near me, so I decided I would wait to get a sample. So around the time I was going to visit Dallas for the holidays, I got a voucher for a free sample of The Soft Cream, which was just launching at the time. I was so excited. I’m fairly young with combination skin, so the Soft Cream seemed like an even better match! Cut to putting the Soft Cream on - my skin was instantly was irritated, and had two cysts within 24 hours. I was disappointed that this “miracle” product messed with my skin so badly, but relieved I wasn’t hooked.
But still, I kept reading raves about the face saving qualities of Creme de La Mer. So when I was in Saks with my grandmother, I decided to not give up and asked for samples of the original La Mer. I’m so glad I did!
Before I go any further, I will say I use this product in a weird way. I know that this product is known as being extremely heavy and intensely moisturizing. But my skin seems to crave more moisture after application. So I use this like a serum, and apply a good dollop of Night of Olay’s Firming Cream (ironic to apply a $6 cream on top of the $100 La Mer.)
I wake up with the calmest, moisturized, glowy skin. Anytime my skin is freaking out or is in need of intense moisture/repair, I was my face with Aveeno Calming Foam Cleanser, press/pat La Mer in my skin, and then smear Night of Olay all over, and I wake up with my skin okay again.
I will say that I hate the packaging with a passion. Even though all my favorite moisturizers come in jars, I hate them. I think the logo is unappealing, the plastic almost comes off as cheap, and I find the whole thing bland. I would personally think that a cream that has the status, reputation, and price tags it does, the company would have more appealing packaging. But I guess that would rise the already high price tag, and also “if it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.”
Now, to address the German Nivea business. After discovering Makeupalley and reading reviews of Creme de La Mer, I heard about the “similarities” of German Nivea and Creme de La Mer. So when I saw I could get German Nivea through Amazon Prime, I pounced.
Many disagree, but I get the same/similar results from German Nivea (not the kind from Mexico - breakout city) that I do from Creme de La Mer. There are differences in scent, texture, and absorption, but I have not found any differences in the moisture and calming effects between the two creams. I use the German Nivea the same as La Mer (under Night of Olay). So, obviously, I use Nivea as a permanent alternative to La Mer, due to price. That said, I always keep a sample of La Mer in the back of one of my vanity drawers. They are THE MOST moisturizing creams I’ve tried. No other serum, lotion, cream, oil, balm, etc. has ever delivered the amount of hydration and moisture these two creams do.
So overall:
First - get a sample. Unless you don’t have much of budget, this cream is an investment.
Second - if you like the sample, give German Nivea a try. The price difference is worth it.
Results: A
Price: D+
Packaging: F
Overall: C+

Overpriced and underperforms

Let me start by saying I’m a little bit on the fence whether this product worths 2 or less. This is absurdly expensive for amount of product that you get and the results. Now I used this several years ago when I was in my twenties. I remember finishing two jars and I was amazed by how my skin looked back then. BUT here is deal breaker I’ve noticed that when I stopped using it for a while all the glow, smoothness and plumpness were withdrawn. So what I have found out was that it only provided a temporary results. Many of my friends said the same thing about it. For me I had to stop using it because who was I fooling by paying this huge amount for only a temporary results. Bottom line this is not a treatment ladies so don’t waste your money on this.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I used gel de la mer few years back when i was younger, now in my 40++ i find my combination skin has changed to somewhat dry skin, less oily and needed more moisture. So i picked up this little super expensive jar and was surprised at how thick the cream is. The fragrance definitely resembles Nivea cream, but the texture is totally different. The cream doesn't turn to translucent likes gel or soft cream. It only turns a bit soften somewhat, slide on and disappear into your skin. It's oily and feels heavy but not greasy or sitting on top of your skin like many others.
This cream is best for calming irritation skin after treatments like chemical peel or laser or sunburn. It doesn't remove skin discoloration or pigmentation or removes fine lines and wrinkle.
Your skin just feel soften, relaxed, no redness, no flaky.

I agreed with other reviewers that you have to finish at least half bottle before coming to conclusion whether this cream works for your skin. Its nice to have this if you have dry skin, want to pamper yourself
by adding some luxury to your skincare routine. The result is more obvious on aging matured skin.

I normally transfer a small amount to another jar for 1-2 weeks use to avoid contaminating the big bottle.
You dont need much for each application so a 60ml bottle would be sufficient for 1-year usage. I suggest to top up with other moisturizer and overnight treatment cream for best result.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Edit on 14/11/2017 re: scent and thickness of the the Creme.

Creme de La Mer is a thick, luxuriant cream scented faintly with a traditional but lovely scent. La Mer instructions say to warm the cream between your fingertips and press gently on your skin. The trick is to use a tiny amount, half or third of a pea size, and divide that on three fingertips. Rub your fingertips together. The cream will become transparent, once it becomes so, you can press it on your skin. If you need more, repeat. Creme de La Mer absorbed beautifully. It doesn't feel greasy or sticky.

The first time I used La Mer, I scraped a bit of the excess cream off the inner seal with the spatula because I was

1) Experimenting
2) Conscious of how much it cost
3) In awe of how thick it was. In winter, it's semi-solid. In the Australian summer, it's much softer and melts between fingers easily.

I had 2 applications and half of the excess cream remained on the inner seal.

Creme de La Mer had always seemed a dream to me -- entirely unreachable, shamefully expensive, utterly sumptuous. It seemed to me the creme de la creme of skincare.

The reason I entertained the possibility of buying the dream was that my skin became dehydrated and fragile. The skin on my nose had always been thin and prone to breaking, but now it was constantly chapped. My cheeks felt uncomfortably dry despite moisturising. At the same time, acne big and small were popping up. Two big cystic acne bumps growing on my chin. A cluster of tiny white pustules around my nose. Two medium-size cysts coming to a head on my forehead. I was using Elizabeth Arden's Ceramide Capsules and a generous smothering of Cetaphil cream. The EA Ceramide Capsules didn't do much for my skin at that stage. The Cetaphil cream felt oily on top of my skin and didn't do the repair work I needed.

I was desperate. In my desperation, I turned to La Mer.

To give further context of my skin condition, I had applied MUAC 15% Salicylic Acid on my face, *face palm*, then one day later, feeling reckless and adventurous, I applied MUAC 40% Lactic Acid. One might question my sanity. I question it occasionally too. My reasoning was that since my La Mer has arrived, I might as well exfoliate so my skin can absorb it better. For full disclosure, on the same day, I received my samples of Snowbang Essence, Shark Sauce, and El-Dorado oil from Holy Snails, which is a small company that sells hand-made skincare. Did I throw common sense and the scientific method to the wind and use all of my never-before-tested products together? You bet I did.

Thankfully, my skin didn't react to anything. I'll focus on La Mer in this review. The first night, it was soft, it was gentle, it was the first cream / lotion type moisturiser that didn't sting my skin or redden the skin around my nose despite all the pressing. The next morning, I only used the Holy Snails products. By evening, I could see obvious flakes around my nose, mouth and chin (this isn't dissing Holy Snails btw, it's because of the acid. I'm peeling after the acid peels). Also, a third cyst was growing on my chin together with new white pustules.

Thus, that night I used a larger amount of Creme de La Mer as the final step (no El-Dorado oil this time). When I woke up, my skin looked better. In the morning, I used a thin layer of La Mer. Again, no redness despite pressing! By night time, the flakes on my nose and mouth area were gone. Before my skin became fragile, it took 3-5 days of heavy moisturising to get rid of flakes. In the context of unusual skin fragility and dehydration and batshit crazy acid peeling, La Mer performed a miracle. The cystic acne on my chin was still there, alas. The oldest cyst is fading.

I have no doubt the toner and serum helped, however, La Mer has won my heart. I don't know whether the Miracle Broth is as extraordinary as the marketing says it is, and frankly, I don't care. It doesn't matter to me whether the genesis story is true or whether La Mer has remained faithful to its roots because I love the current product.

Is this what true love feels like? I don't care if you came from a distinguished and wealthy family. I don't care if you aren't what your family say you are, or what rumours speak of you. I just love you for what you are.

Really loved the result - however the price was so high!.
I think there might be cheaper good alternatives :) suggestions welcomed.

But overall this did help with some small lines on my face ! so overall would buy it again.

I have been using this product for many years, it is one of my must haves. I use it has my day time moisturiser.
Since using this product I have seen several improvements to my skin. My skin is much more supple and there is a decreased appearance of fine lines. I also notice my skin is more resilient and does not become as irritated as it used to.

I've heard many people claim that it's not worth the money for what you get. I disagree, even though it's just a moisturiser, it offers many benefits. It improves my self confidence, so it's worth every cent to me.

Con's, the jar packaging can become contaminated.

I would like to state that I only review a product after I have finished the entire full size. If I was not able to finish the product due to irritation, I will say so in my review.

Popular Moisturizers