La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Ecalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Alfalfa Seed Powder, Sunflower Seedcake, Sweet Almond Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I love, love, love this!!

I am 55 with older, very sensitive skin.

I bought this many years ago and wanted to love it.. unfortunately I had no idea how to use it properly so just warmed it a bit on my fingers and applied it to my face - eek!!! It was so heavy and hard to blend and for the price realised it would not go far. It did not please me though. It was far too thick and heavy and made my face feel yuk.

I tried it over and over and over again and used about half a jar In the week - at $200 for a small jar it was freaking me out.

I am a smotherer, I love to moisturise my skin but this stuff was not making me happy. So I decided to go onto YouTube and watched a few clips about how to apply it properly and that completely changed my use of it - and I fell in love!

You only need a teeny bit and you must, must, must emulsify the product properly. Take a tiny bit and put it on your palm, then place your hands together and when the creme is warmed start to emulsify by rubbing it quickly within your palms till the creme is clear and hot!

Then press it to your face and the magic will happen 💖💖💖💖

My pores are minimal, my skin is sooooo hydrated and i have no redness, no patchiness or pigmentation issues and this really reduces wrinkles .....I get asked by everyone (even when I am not in makeup) "what do you use on face? your skin is amazing"

I am 55 and my skin is drying as I get older, especially in the heat of Australia sun, this is the best moisturiser I have ever put on my skin.. my holy grail as they call it.

I buy the 60ml / 2oz jar from La mer Australia online or David Jones in Perth, for $450.00 and it lasts me about 5 months. (I use it alongside the La Mer Renewal Oil and The Regenerating Serum, and The Eye Balm Intense or The Eye Concentrate. I also cleanse with Le Mer Cleasing Micellar Water which is also great for removing makeup.

Smell - lovely, reminds me of when I was little and my mum used to wear Nivea. (Others hate this aspect, I find it comforting)

Packaging - the classic La Mer jar, a nice white china jar that sits snuggly in the box base with the spatula neatly tucked underneath.

I will use this forever 💖💖. (I stopped using it once as a friend asked me to try her Mary Kay Timewise. It was nice but did nothing for my skin just FYI 😃😃)

This is one of those legendary products that you see all over the Internet. Usually only found in upmarket department stores or airport duty free. This is clearly a product that really polarises people due in no small part to its exhorbitant price.

There have been numerous stories in the newspapers outlining how the ingredients for a 60ml jar only cost around $5 but a jar costs around $200. Other stories compare it to Nivea creme. I have tried both Nivea and the La Mer and they are not exactly the same. La Mer, if emulsified in the hands and patted gently into the skin has a much more soothing and almost wet / cool effect on the skin that I think would be great if you'd been in the sun all day.

The creme does also almost "over moisturise" or saturate the skin - I'm not sure if this is the high oil content or the seaweed broth but it definitely has a plumping effect and if you suffer from extremely dry skin and need something occlusive to trap in moisture this could be useful to you. But then so could a hyalauronic acid serum followed by a layer of Nivea.

I have bought this product at full retail when it first launched in the uk and also had the now sadly discintinued eye balm ( original - the current one isn't that great). I'm not sure if experienced a miracle exactly but the combo of the original eye balm ( used first like a serum) with la Mer creme on top definitely healed a number of issues including some broken capillaries under my eyes. For this reason alone I can't discount this product completely. I do have a very small sample jar which I use on flakey lips or when I have a cold around the nose to get rid of flakies...

After a long break from the creme - I was an Erno Laszlo user for about 11 years ( until the current buy out) - I was considering maybe buying another jar as it does last and I did enjoy the "cool/wet" sensation that you get when you pat this on. I decided to research the line further.

I won't repeat the much touted Max Huber NASA burns healing story here as everyone's heard that already. But two facts that stopped me from buying this again ( apart from the price which just keeps going up and up as does the number of add on serums / pre serums / boosters - this is truly a cash making machine)

1. when Lauder bought La Mer from the owners family after his death there was no written formula! only a collection of film footage and scribbled notes. Lauder had to try and "guess" the formula and did many trial batches until they got what they thought was the closest to Max Hubers original.

2. When Lauder bought the brand it only had 4 products - a cleanser, toner, the original creme and an eye cream. A 2oz jar of the creme was around $50 ( in the late 80s/early 90s). This is versus the crazy variety of la Mer products we have today.

Due to the products withdrawal from the market a waiting list grew anxious for its return. However when Lauder finally launched it many long term users returned it. Why? Apparently the formula is very different. For example the original did not contain any mineral oil and was in fact a natural plant based creme ( Huber famously used to rub it in his eye and eat it with a spoon to prove how natural it was!)

3. Lauder for many years was cruelty free as were their attendant brands such as Clinique and la Mer. But since the brands move into the Chinese market they have to have all their products animal tested ( even my previously loved Aveda shampoo). This is not acceptable to me personally.

in tandem with the above issues my research has thrown up other products that I feel are superior to La Mer including those by brands such as May Lindstrom, Själ and others who really do go all out to create a holistic skincare ritual using only the finest ingredients. Also brands like the Ordinary prove that you can provide hi tech skincare that actually works without having to pay hundreds of $$/££ for a small white pot.

if you do have seriously dry skin maybe get a free sample of this or Embrolisse just to see if it's occlusive properties help. But be aware there are much better moisturisers out there.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The product smell soft& pure, not much of chemicals. Really pricey product & not working so well except for it hydration. The cream is thick& not easy to spread on. Not suitable for oily skin.

holy Grail for me

Expensive cream with a shit ton of very extremely cheap and bad-for-skin ingredients. Here is the long list, that they call "Miracle Broth":

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Lanolin Alcohol, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Globules (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seeds, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seeds, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seeds, Prunus Dulcis (Powdered Almonds), Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacin, Beta-carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat, Fragrance

THIS IS A MIRACLE! I'm 48 and have very picky, sensitive skin that is starting to show my age. This cream has saved me! It is gentle and incredibly moisturizing, and also makes the perfect eye cream. My skin feels amazing, looks better, my makeup looks wonderful....I can't say enough. I finally have my glow back! YES, I know this is expensive. but it is far less expensive than plastic surgery! I'll use this forever!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Very basic moisturiser for the price. Didnt even seem to hydrate my dry skin. Did nothing for wrinkles. The jar is a cheap, plastic tub- looks like some budget product you'd see in a dollar store.
Don't recommend to anyone.

I am absolutely in love with this cream. A little background on my skin : normal with a little flakyness around my nose and eyebrows, no visible pores. Fine baby smile lines are starting to form, but due to my age (21) they are not very visible. Moisturising cremes tend to over-moisturise my nose and cheeks and make them look and feel oily while clogging my pores.

But this creme is a pot of miracle. During the months i've used it, creme de la mer has transformed my skin to the best it can be. My smile "lines" are not remotely visible any more. My nose has lost all the flakyness without looking remotely oily and my cheeks look healthy, fresh and glowy (not in a oily way). It hasn't clogged any pores, it makes my skin look and feel, well, amazing. Granted, I had not experienced serious issues with my skin before, I never even had acne, but this creme has made a good skin be perfect.

Another experience that convinced me about this creme is its healing properties. A few weeks back I suffered a bad burn on the side of my lips from, well, eating food that just came out of the oven too fast, which resulted in burning hot jam injuring my lips.
I figured the healing process would be slow, thinking how sensitive this area is. In a moment of despair since I had no burn cream, I used la mer for the next 2 days (which has algae extract as a main ingredient). My burn was completely healed in only 2 days.

In conclusion; I will buy this cream again when it's empty which will take a bit of time since you don't need much for your face and neck. I Highly recommend it especially to relatively young women who want to prevent signs of ageing showing to soon. The price is high, but the results I experienced, are worth the splurge.
Hope I helped :)

I purchased a small 7ml sample pot of this to try. I found this to be a very nice cream for dry skin, its a little bit greasy so I used it as a night cream. I have to admit for the price tag, I expected something extraordinary from this product. However it is just a good basic moisturiser, nothing special. The only reason this cream is so expensive is down to some excellent marketing hype, I would advise you to save your money and buy a tube of Cetaphil Cream which does just as good a job as this!

I prefer to invest more in skincare, but just because a product is expensive, doesn`t necessarily mean it will be good. So I tread carefully the world of luxury skincare and try to get samples whenever I can. I got a huge sample of this moisturizer at the La Mer counter and have been playing with it for 2 weeks (still have a lot left). It smells like a fancier version of Nivea to me, a pleasant smell for my taste. A little goes a long way in my case, because I have combo oily skin, and the moisturizer is pretty thick. It sinks in well with a good facial massage and hasn`t broken me out. It does a great job to plump and hydrate, so when I wake up in the morning I can see my skin glowing, and I am pretty sure it`s thanks to this cream, as nothing else has changed in my routine. The only thing is, is it really worth the price? I mean, I live in Japan, and winters here are not exactly brutal, so do I need to invest so much in a heavier moisturizer? Don`t get me wrong, if I lived in a colder climate, I would consider the splurge, but at this point in my life I know other more affordable options of moisturizer that work really well for my skin type. If you have the cash, though, I totally recommend this.