La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Ecalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Alfalfa Seed Powder, Sunflower Seedcake, Sweet Almond Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

I purchased a small 7ml sample pot of this to try. I found this to be a very nice cream for dry skin, its a little bit greasy so I used it as a night cream. I have to admit for the price tag, I expected something extraordinary from this product. However it is just a good basic moisturiser, nothing special. The only reason this cream is so expensive is down to some excellent marketing hype, I would advise you to save your money and buy a tube of Cetaphil Cream which does just as good a job as this!

I prefer to invest more in skincare, but just because a product is expensive, doesn`t necessarily mean it will be good. So I tread carefully the world of luxury skincare and try to get samples whenever I can. I got a huge sample of this moisturizer at the La Mer counter and have been playing with it for 2 weeks (still have a lot left). It smells like a fancier version of Nivea to me, a pleasant smell for my taste. A little goes a long way in my case, because I have combo oily skin, and the moisturizer is pretty thick. It sinks in well with a good facial massage and hasn`t broken me out. It does a great job to plump and hydrate, so when I wake up in the morning I can see my skin glowing, and I am pretty sure it`s thanks to this cream, as nothing else has changed in my routine. The only thing is, is it really worth the price? I mean, I live in Japan, and winters here are not exactly brutal, so do I need to invest so much in a heavier moisturizer? Don`t get me wrong, if I lived in a colder climate, I would consider the splurge, but at this point in my life I know other more affordable options of moisturizer that work really well for my skin type. If you have the cash, though, I totally recommend this.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Cool

I'm in my 40s and I have ridiculously dry skin. I'm also constantly waging a battle with flakes and red, itchy skin in winter months when I'm using retinol. I got a huge sample and I tried this for about 3 weeks, but had to stop. Something in it (fragrance?) just irritated my skin. Nothing major, but my skin always itched a little too much with this stuff on. Also, I don't even think it hydrated that well and I often had to follow up with face oils and heavy-duty occlusive moisturizers. Honestly, I get better results from mixing rose hip oil, vitamin E and Trader Joe's Nourish face cream at a fraction of the cost.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A nice moisturizer that really hydrates the skin really well. I would not say this is an anti-aging product. It's just a great plain, uber expensive moisturizer. I would repurchase it since my moisturizers usually last me 6 months. It has a nice scent to it too- like a spa treatment scent.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

It's kinda heavy for my skin, but I have seen an improvement at my mom's and aunt's skin that are around 65.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I received two generous samples and used the Creme de la Mer for two weeks both night and day.

Bottom line, I'm not impressed. La Mer has different types of face cream/moisturizing cream that I'd lean towards first before buying 'the original'.

I have very dry skin, eczema on top of that, and I'm almost 40. I would, hands down, purchase a Sisley moisturizer over this one...in face I would purchase two types of Sisley moisturizer before buying this for the price point. I had more success with even Olay original formula than this.

After a week of continuous wear, I noticed my skin would be dry and flaky underneath this moisturizer, even though I could feel the slip of it on top. It did not improve the texture and my skin looked scalier and older. My foundation would slip on top of this.

Now, I like the other product - the treatment lotion, the eye cream, the serums, but find another moisturizer.

This product has no value and no results. The formula is ridiculously basic certainly not worthy of its three digit price tag. All it is is mineral oil and perfume. It's the modern day snake oil. My more detailed review video is below.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have always taken care of my skin, and have always been a bit of a product junkie, but as I transitioned into my mid-30's I decided it was time to stop goofing around and really commit to a skin care regimen. I knew that a lot of older women swore by this product and I have never seen a mature woman who uses this who didn't have amazing skin. That was enough to convince me that there was some magic to it. I bought my first jar about a year ago and have never looked back. I could see how this might not work for a younger woman, but as we begin to age, there really is something magical about it. One of the most important rules to using this product is warming it sufficiently between your fingers before pressing it (not rubbing it) into your skin. A little goes a long way...a pea sized amount is enough to cover my face, neck, and décolleté. It is very expensive but a 2 oz jar lasts me 6 months. I loved the cream so much that I now also use the eye concentrate, the regenerating serum, the concentrate and the regenerating oil. My skin has never looked better and I get compliments all the time on my complexion. I don't know exactly what the magic is about this, but it's definitely magic.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've received three generous samples which have definately made me decide whether to purchase the full size. Skin type and background first because I think it's relative to my review.
I have oily skin. Can be sensitive with some redness. Nothing extreme but visible for sure. I am a big skin care fanatic. I will try most things and I use retinol and acid toners so I can experience dehydration and dry patches even though generally oily.
First two samples I wasn't really sold. Yes you have to warm it up in your fingers which I don't find a big deal. I found redness reduced dramatically and it was quite a thick creamy formula so I only wore at night. Other than reducing redness, it was moisturizing but I didn't find it significant. Left the third sample aside and continued on with regular skincare. Experienced some dehydration and dry spots so I tried it again. Almost instantly cleared them up and reduced redness entirely.
Now that I've been using it two weeks straight I feel I haven't had that dehydration reappear and no dry spots. I have used it around my eyes and my under eye area has never been this smooth. Usually have quite dry under eyes and the skin can be crepey.
I must say the results are more significant the longer I've used it. One Lippy off for the price. Although I have to say it's probably the best moisturiser I've used because it's a treatment as well. Get some samples and see for yourself before purchasing!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This product is all about repair. My skin isn't terrible but after I had my baby I started breaking out and looking blotchy. I got this after hearing about it from everyone I know with great skin and I have to say the results are seemingly worth the hype. My pores are no longer clogged, the scars are rapidly healing and it feels like the spa when I put La Mer on every morning and night. I warm it in my hands and press into my face, neck and decollete (and sometimes the back of my arms where skin gets rough). All have improved in texture and are retaining moisture throughout the day. Even when traveling, working and walking around in the cold winter air. Love it!