La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Ecalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Alfalfa Seed Powder, Sunflower Seedcake, Sweet Almond Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Glyconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this (ridiculously expensive) stuff. It is a good moisturizer, and keeps my skin soft and calm. Over time it also keeps my skin perfectly clear, almost poreless, This is important because I have had problematic skin throughout my life, and this is the first product (including retin-a) to do that without irritating the heck out of it. It also seems to have reduced oiliness, which has also been a lifetime issue. I don't ever see myself not using it, so long as I can fit it in my budget. Granted, looking at the ingredients it's easy to think it't not worth it, but for me it's been the best skin care product I've ever tried.

Just to clarify some confusing notions of CDLM after the previous review of Clearandsmooth's somewhat unclear points.

As you probably know La Mer is owned by the Estee Lauder Companies (acquired in 1995). CDLM is the only product that had been developed by Max Huber, rest of the La Mer line is newer additions of products. All of them are based (at some degree at least) on the fermented algae that is marketed as the "Miracle Broth" (trademark of the EL Co.).
EL Co. hold several patents on the Broth. If you are interested in the whole process and might want to calculate the amount of the broth used in La Mer products, it is advisable to read these patent-documents.
In short, The Broth is the end-product of the fermentation process of algae (that is sustainably sourced and hand-harvested by the company) and the additional essential oils, vitamins, minerals and different seed powders.
Composition of The Miracle Broth:
Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Panthenol

This is a white-to-yellow clear liquid that is somewhat thicker than water (please see uploaded picture). This will be used as the "water-phase" of the emulsion along with glycerin (humectant).
As the CDLM was developed in the 60s, the whole emulsion reflects the somewhat limited availability of raw-materials. Basically, it is made out of pharmaceutical-grade ingredients (of the more basic type). This is absolutely not a draw-back, on the contrary! These raw-materials are well tried and tested and suitable for even the most sensitive of skin types.
What the rest of the emulsion is made out of is Mineral Oil, Petrolatum and Isohexadecane as emollients Waxes that act as stabilizer: Microcrystalline Wax and Paraffin; emulsifiers as Lanolin Alcohol and Magnesium Stearate. Lanolin Alcohol (pharmaceutical grade) is a purified result of combination of organic alcohols obtained by the hydrolysis of lanolin. It contains up to 34% cholesterol (phytosterols) and is identical to our own skins lipids, hence it is fully bio-compatible with the lipid-barrier. Skin is immediately more moisturized, eventual irritation calmed and skin is protected.
The compactness of the emulsion makes that it will stay stable for many many years without the oil- and water-phase separating.

Note that the formula's preservative system has changed somewhere between 2014-2016 and is now protected against microbial contamination by Benzyl Salicylate and Sodium Benzoate. Previously the preservatives Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone were used. (These preservatives are now recommended only for rinse-off products.)

It is, of course, debatable whether the formula itself or the Broth (or the combination of the two) that gives the legendary "miraculous" healing properties of the cream.
Many say that the original cream has the most effect on the skin and the newer addition of moisturizers cannot even be compared (even though they also contain the same amount of the Broth.)

Bottom line is that if you wish to "buy-in" to the craze and fame of the Miracle Broth, this product might be a better investment than the newer products (serums included). (It still won't justify the price!)

What I think of the CDLM.
I have used it on and off since 2001 and had the fortune to try all moisturizers and serums from LM too. I always come back to the original CDLM though.
Although it is somewhat time-consuming to apply (you have to warm it up before application), it is absorbed by the skin immediately. One would think that the product were heavy and greasy with so much mineral oil, petrolatum and waxes, but the truth is that it is everything but. It leaves a very acceptable silky-matte finish on the skin without any oily feel or residue. I have to say that this has absolutely the most flattering finish of all the LM moisturizers (the new Moisturizing Soft Lotion included). Even in the humid summer wheather it can be used. Oilier skin-types might not like the richness in warmer weather, but it will definitely not cause break-outs.
In this product you get "only" the Broth (while in the newer additions, you will get additional anti-oxidants and some very good cell-communicating ingredients too).

Here is a link to how the International Nomenclature Cosmetic Ingredient (INCI) names are generated.

Ingredients list for the 2016 formula:
Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Magnesium Sulfate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Water/Aqua, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Sodium Benzoate, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfume) continued >>

To Read all 1740 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have not used this product and wouldn't buy it .

as a moisturizer formulator I feel I should occasionally look at ingredients of products on the market. the most important thing to look at are the most common ingredients.

at $120 an ounce I think this 'moisturizer' needs a closer examination.

ok, lets go through the ingredients. No mention of water, so if that is true, then this really isn't a moisturizer if there is no water. in fact this would be closer to Vaseline. unless the extract is extracted in water.

this is supposed to be in order of prominence.

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, what is it extracted into? sea weed is the most prominent ingredient? I sort of doubt it.

Mineral Oil, well 2nd most common ingredient is derived from petroleum. ever used baby oil? pretty awful stuff. greasy.

Petrolatum, more petroleum derived ingredients. this stuff has got to be greasy.

Glycerin, good but since it doesn't say, we usually assume not vegetable, but animal derived. and you don't want to even think about what parts of the animals they use to make this stuff.

Isohexadecane, is a high purity, iso-paraffin emollient and solvent used in cosmetics and beauty products. more petroleum by-products.

Lime Extract, most lime essential oils cause photosensitive skin. you do NOT want lime products on your skin. Not sure what a lime extract is, but I'd be careful using this and spending any time in the sun unless I got assurances there is no photosensitivity.

Microcrystalline Wax, vegetable or animal derived?

Lanolin Alcohol, lanolin is derived from sheep.

Sesame Seed Oil ok, the first good ingredient, although far from being a precious oil.

Ecalyptus Leaf Oil ok

Magnesium Sulfate, also known as Epsom salt really?

as a formulator, I'm not sure what all these powders are doing in a moisturizer. they must be ground very fine. but I don't believe they do anything for the skin.
Sesame Seed seeds? powdered? really?

Alfalfa Seed Powder, powder?

Sunflower Seedcake,

Sweet Almond Seed Meal,

Sodium Gluconate is widely used in textile dyeing, printing and metal surface water treatment. It is also used as a chelating agent, a steel surface cleaning agent, a cleaning agent for glass bottles, and as a chelating agent for cement, plating and alumina dyeing industries. It is a white powder that is very soluble in water.

Potassium Glyconate,is the potassium salt of the conjugate base of gluconic acid. It is also referred to as 2,3,4,5,6-pentahydroxycaproic acid potassium salt, D-gluconic acid potassium salt, or potassium D-gluconate. it is used to prevent or to treat low blood levels of potassium

Copper Gluconate, is the copper salt of D-gluconic acid. It is an odorless light blue or blue-green crystal or powder which is easily soluble in water and insoluble in ethanol. it doesn't say copper peptide, but supposedly it is good for the skin.

Calcium Gluconate, Calcium is an essential mineral for the body. A small amount of research shows calcium gluconate may be a good anti-inflammatory and healing agent when applied topically

Magnesium Gluconate, is the magnesium salt of gluconic acid, which is produced by fermentation of carbohydrates. It can be used in the personal care industry as a skin conditioner.
Zinc Gluconate, supposedly can help acne is low in zinc

Paraffin more petroleum derived ingredients

Tocopheryl Succinate, vitamin E

Niacin vitamin B3
we are likely at this point way below 1%, so most of these ingredients are in such small percentages as to not matter.

Glorified Vaseline. Don't get duped.

I love Creme de la Mer. I am always told how great my skin looks, and while I have to admit that this is mostly genetics (both parents had lovely skin), combined with a lifelong dislike of the Sun, Creme de la Mer has a lovely effect on me. It firms and smooths my skin, while helping it glow.

I'm not going to pretend that I've used every other moisturiser and that I know for sure that this is the best, but I have never come across a creme that suits my skin so well. I turned 50 this year, and while I strongly disagree with the idea that looking good means looking young, I could still use a little help. Creme de la Mer provides me with that help, and all the ingredient analysis in the World doesn't change that.

Perhaps there are better and cheaper alternatives, but this cream does what I need, so I'm not looking for an alternative. I need to use so little of it that a jar seems to last forever, so I don't consider any more expensive than a mid-price department store cream.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I suffer from very dry skin and eczema and nothing keeps it at bay like Creme de la Mer products. This cream isn't for everyone--it is very rich and thick. However, if you have difficulties with dry or irritated skin, it is worth buying a small pot to see if it works for you.

I have nothing good to say about this cream. Too thick. Does not improve my skin at all. Worsened my skin actually. While using this product I get black heads everywhere. Let's not mention the ingredients! Chalk full of preservatives and fragrances

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Creme de La Mer was the only thing that banished my eczema. My tubes of cortisone and eczema creams all ended up in the bin. I started using this at age 24, I am now 29. I stopped for a while to try some other creams, yet I always found myself reverting back to this one whenever my skin would look and feel thirsty. I've decided to make this cream a mainstay on my bathroom counter. I don't mind the smell at all, I find it refreshing. I live in a tropical country so I don't really NEED that much to pat on, especially during the day. A 60ml jar would last me over half a year. Before bedtime, I pat on a bit more than usual and let it soak for the rest of the night and I wake up to glowing, very hydrated skin.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this product for approximately over a year now. Although this isn't the best moisturiser that ever existed, I would say that it is worth its cost. Hear me out:
1. The packaging seems really fancy, it comes with this small spatula and a green base to place the jar on. However, the jar itself is pretty heavy and fragile, and I highly suggest travellers to relocate part of the moisturiser in a separate plastic container because it will definitely crack.
2. The scent is really mild. Unlike other moisturisers that put on quite a lot of essential oils and scent, La Mer moisturiser has a mild scent. It's not the most pleasant scent, but it sure is really light.
3. The consistency of the moisturiser suits all skin type, in my opinion. To apply the cream, you have to scoop out a small amount and warm it with your fingers on the back on your hand. This way, it helps the product to activate its key ingredients (at least that's way it says on the back of the package). I have combination skin. Part of my face (for instance the T zone) are oily, but other parts can be dry. This moisturiser does not make my face greasy or oily.
4. Oh my gosh, although the price is fairly high for just moisturiser, i would say that it lasts a longgggg time. One container lasts about 6 months for me, and I apply it two to three times a day, daily.
5. It's worth a long run. After about a week of using it, I can start to notice a lot of difference. My skin feels a lot softer and smoother after about 2 weeks, and although it does not instantly remove my acne and my acne scars, it did eventually remove most of it.
6. Would I buy it again? Hell yes i would! It costs a lot, but as I say, it's really worth it.
The only reason I'm giving it a 4 star is because the cost might be a little bit too high!

I've been using for a few months now and have noticed that my skin feels plumper and more hydrated. Has a really nice fresh smell that is very invigorating. Since using my skin feels moisturized and looks healthier.