Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum

Reviva Labs Hyaluronic Acid Serum

Not tested on animals
Reviva Labs is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Demineralized spring water, glycerine (veg.), hyaluronic acid, polysorbate 20, hydrolyzed mucopolysaccharides, green tea extract, hydroxyethylcellulose, simethicone, carmelized sugar, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, citric acid.

on 7/19/2016 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought a 1fl oz bottle at a local health foods store for around $20. This serum is clear and is quite watery in consistency. There's no noticeable scent. It's not sticky or greasy.

The product comes in a clear glass bottle with a pump. At first I was weary about that. I'd prefer if it came in a dark-tinted container to preserve the anti-oxidizing element of the green tea contained in this serum. However, I just keep it stored out of direct light (in a medicine cabinet would be great if you have one) and it's fine.

Here is the ingredients list on the back of my bottle and on the Reviva Labs website: Purified Water, Hyaluronic Acid, Carbomer, Green Tea Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

On the Ulta website the ingredients list is: Demineralized Spring Water, Glycerine (Veg.), Hyaluronic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Hydrolyzed Mucopolysaccharides, Green Tea Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Simethicone, Caramelized Sugar, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate And Citric Acid.

Perhaps it was recently reformulated. This is something to be aware of if you're shopping online... what's actually in the bottle could be different than what you're expecting based on the ingredients list provided by the website. I'd purchase this in-store so you know exactly what you're getting, if you have a preference. I favor the top ingredients list more, especially since the bottom one contains "Simethicone." Simethicone is an anti-gas and anti-bloating agent found in products such as Gas-X. So unless it's a typo and they actually meant dimethicone, I don't know why they'd have that in there. Maybe to prevent the serum from foaming up when it's dispensed? What do I know?

Anyways... what got me interested in trying hyaluronic acid in my regimen is the fact that it's a very strong humectant (moisture-binding substance.) This stuff pulls moisture in from the air, so your skin will be hydrated and in theory appear younger-looking.

Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring carbohydrate in the human body and can be found in skin and connective tissue. It strengthens the outer layers of skin and provides antioxidant defense against free-radical damage, in addition to reducing inflammation. I've heard that it can help reduce acne scarring as well. It can also be used to treat burns, ulcers, and wounds (I wouldn't use this serum for any of those purposes, I just found the reported healing properties interesting.)

All of that sounded great. I've been incorporating this serum into my routine morning and night for around a month now. I apply one pump after cleansing and toning and spread it all over my face. Honestly, I haven't noticed any visible changes in fine lines or scarring. The first few days I used this I experienced a minor breakout, but that cleared up quickly and my skin has looked great ever since.

I really do love the way this stuff makes my skin feel.... it's moisturized and even feels somewhat tighter. I've heard some compare this to botox in a bottle. I wouldn't go that far at all but I can tell what they're talking about to a much more minor extent. I haven't had any problems personally with how it wears underneath makeup, but I put other products (moisturizer, sunscreen, and primer) over the top of this serum before going in with foundation/concealer.

If you're looking for a miracle product... in my experience, this isn't it. However, if you're looking for something that will benefit your skin even if you can't see dramatic results, then I'd recommend checking this out. I enjoy having it as a part of my skincare routine and will probably repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I do not get the hype.
I hear all the good things this should do but have yet to see any result from any brand.
Added to water or other products etc etc
I have not noticed anything.

To Read all 40 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

PROS

- adds and retains moisture
- not greasy
- absorbs quickly
- little goes a long way

CONS

- none

COMMENTS: I love the way my skin looks and feels with this. You don't need much - a little goes a long way. It absorbs quickly and it's as if you're not wearing anything on your face, yet it's still hydrated. I use this in the evening and in conjunction with my moisturizer, however I found that a moisturizer isn't really necessary when using this.

Will repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This product is a toss up. I've used this during most of the winter, and so far it's provided substantial moisture to the dry areas of my face. I did notice a few days into this, my skin broke out with cystic acne, but I'm not sure if the serum attributed to them, so I gave it more time to get my skin accustomed to this product. I've been using it continuously for 2 1/2 months now, and love the moisturizing benefits. It's great when traveling in an airplane, where cold cabin air can make my skin crazy with dry patches of skin on my cheeks. It's also great as a night treatment. I sometimes mix Philosophy's Vitamin C powder with this and this combination leaves my skin bright, plump, and moisturized. I even notice my acne scars and sun spots fading faster.

However, this product isn't the best under makeup. It peels off like crazy and leaves a flaky residue as a result. Not an attractive look. After serum, it's best not to layer too many products over it, because it doesn't let makeup adhere the way it is supposed to. Better yet, if you're going to use this under makeup, make sure to let the serum sit longer than 5 minutes before applying primer or foundation. In my case, I applied a BB cream after using this serum, and it pilled everywhere.

The packaging is in a clear 1 oz. bottle, with clear plastic cap, and clear serum. It's great for travel, but I kind of prefer my serums in opaque bottles or dark brown dropper bottles so the product doesn't oxidize and discolor. The consistency is more like a clear gel than a serum. It can also become quite sticky when applied, but the stickiness fades after the serum has absorbed. The price is reasonable at $19. You can find it cheaper on Amazon, but I advise to think twice before buying there. I've read reviews from customers complaining they were sold an expired or a fake product from a seller.

on 9/14/2014 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I wanted to try another hyarulonic acid serum after I tried the Indeed Labs Hydraluron with some positive effects. Hyraluron was great for my skin but I didn't find it that moisturising. I have dry, sensitive skin prone to red rashes and intolerant to heavy fragrance and essential oils among many other chemicals. Reviva is scent-free which usually is good news for my skin. The first few times I used this serum, I really liked it. It smoothed out my skin and looked like it gave it some moisture. But after a few days it started to clog my pores. I ended up with two spots in areas of my face that are usually very dry! As I don't usually get clogged pores and have been using heavy oil based balms like cocoa butter on my face for years without any issues with spots, I was quite surprised. On comparison, I think Hydraluron is a better choice for a hyaluronic acid serum. If you want to try Reviva Hyaruloronic acid serum, monitor the long term effects closely especially if you are clog prone. My conclusion is that it is not a very hydrating serum with only temporary smoothing effect and can even cause blocked pores.

on 5/22/2014 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this little serum! I have uber sensitive skin that as I've gotten older tends to get dehydrated very easily and just distorts my appearance. While this isn't the end all be all to my issues, it certainly hydrates my skin. I love the cool, light gel feel to it, despite never thinking I would have. The gel sinks right in, no oily mess later. I found it on line for half the price quoted below. I'm on my second bottle. I usually top it off with my sensitive skin Burt's Bees moisturizer.

My skin is dry/combo with Rosacea, Allergies to fragrance, phalates, preservatives

on 3/24/2014 11:17:00 AM

I purchased this off PipingRock.com (n/a) for around $5.00, which is a complete steal because I've seen this for triple, if not quadruple the price elsewhere. It's an OK serum but compared to others I've used, it's not a favorite. it provided a boost of hydration during the cold, dry, winter months for sure.

I just finished up the bottle but I will not be repurchasing. I think the formula has silicone in it, which I don't normally prefer in skincare products. I also didn't like the pump because it pumped out too much product and made me go through this faster than I should have.

I prefer the MyChelle Ultra Hydrating HA serum, even though it's about $35/bottle.

I'm almost down to the end of the bottle and I will be repurchasing. I love this stuff! I mix 3-4 drops of my vitamin c serum (Paula's Choice) and apply morning and night before adding makeup or moisturizer. It plumps up my skin -- especially my forehead and the lines around my mouth. It kind of freaks me out sometimes though because when I raise my eyebrows, my forehead doesn't move because it looks like I have botox. LOL. But isn't that what we're looking for? I like how the serum has green tea extract and glycerin in it. Too bad it's in a glass container otherwise the green tea as an antioxidant will lose its efficacy so I keep it in the medicine cabinet away from light. Oh, and yes it does "ball up" if you apply foundation over it -- some foundations. It's trial and error. Some foundations/bb creams ball up over top, and some do not. I use Physician's Formula SPF 50 tinted moisturizer and it doesn't ball up.

on 2/22/2014 10:21:00 AM

Amazing product. After battling my dry and dehydrated skin for a few weeks I ordered this and it saved my skin. No more flakiness and rough patches pretty much after the second day of using this.
The great thing about it, is the consistency is just right. One pump is enough for the whole face and a bit of neck, the gel sinks in quickly and does not leave any sticky residue whatsoever and it's possible to follow up with another moisturizer. It has no smell which I love and the packaging is no frills, but works great.
The serum really works wonders in helping your skin retain moisture and makes my skin plump and smooth. Highly recommended!

on 2/4/2013 10:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

One of the best gels/serums in the market.. Very hydrating and soothing. Great for those with Very Sensitive, Acne-Prone and Dry Skin combination. It has absolutely no fragrance and has a gel consistency which is extremely easy to spread. I LOVE the pump on this bottle because it is super controllable as to the amount you need.