Chanel No.5

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Chanel No.5

3.4

on 4/22/2018 8:58:00 PM

Original review deleted & resubmitted 22nd April 2018 to reflect Chanel No 5 presently.
I feel incredibly strongly about Chanel No 5. the original - not the flankers. Thanks for reading. Very Loyal Chanel customer but I have my opinions.

Chanel No 5 is a true classic . It is what I called The Golden Ratio in Scent . Everything about it was / is ( i guess even , after the reformulation ) perfect / almost - to me.
EDT is my favorite formulation and I have gone through bottles and bottles of it. Today's verison is vastly thinner and less long lasting than even the old Cologne version. It has been reformulated but I still buy because after all the serious gutting of this scent, this is practically my ONLY reminder of the the true majesty of Chanel No .5 & what it USED to be.

EDP - a 1980s version by Jacque Polge - also very beautiful but recently quite gutted by the reformulations. Less ylang, more vanilla , less substantial in general and poorer tenacity, thinner in general, the scent profile is not quite the same. The EDP was also a veritable joy ..now , not so much. However, as with the EDT , I buy what is available .....

If you are going to do this to Le Monstre ( No. 5 ) - to save / make money , Chanel ..please release your new version of Chanel No 5 Eau de Parfum Intense.( Like you did with Coco Mademosielle . )

The parfum extrait was also beyond beauty .It was as the most wonderful version of No .5 - golden, bright ,full bodied, 3 dimensional.. like very fine champagne , deep and long lasting. Truly magnificent. I have no words to describe it really.
There was a valid reason for its fame and ability to last so many decades as a top seller world wide. I once declared I would only ever buy the extrait again ..not any more .

Today , it is weak , alcoholic, soft, missing a lot of neroli ,citrus and a helluva lot more vanilla added to the base. It smells closer to the new reformulated EDP .
The last good parfum extrait I had was made in 2011. The 30 ml bottle I have was made in 2014. It is not the same.

***********My message to Chanel .
All your customers who buy Chanel No 5 are not dead yet.
We maybe be older but we do know Chanel No .5 because a lot of us have worn it like a second skin for decades.
You try & attract a younger demographic which is fine but don't forget your roots. Use some of the great scent technology to... at least try and restore No 5 to what it was. Classic No 5. NOT your L'eau ,Eau Premiere and whatever you will think up next .

In efforts to Join The Young Club , you are watering down No .5 and more importantly , you are changing Chanel No .5 far too much through your reformulations.
Preserve, not alter. Educate , do not alter Chanel No 5 to the whims of fragrance fashion of this century.

on 2/11/2018 10:52:00 PM

I am a perfume collector with TONS of knowledge and experience with fragrance. Here's my take on Chanel No. 5's timeless popularity: It's safe. It's clean, inoffensive, mediocre silage... mediocre everything really, so it's never the wrong choice for any occasion. It's never going to be the best choice either in my opinion, because it's really just not that interesting. lol But it really is curiously difficult to go "wrong" with it.
You could wear it with jeans and a Tee or a $5,000 lady-boss business suit.

Then there's it's "status." Some people simply wanna be able to say they're wearing Chanel so they can pretend they're better than everyone else. lol I got news for you, Chanel Isn't even CLOSE to the best fragrance house. Between it's safeness and it's notoriety, I honestly believe that's why it maintains its popularity. Because ANY woman can wear this. Who minds smelling clean, rich and Iconic?

I own a bottle for days I need to smell safe and boring.

on 1/19/2018 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I will not repurchase

I have always enjoyed floral frangrances and I found the 50ml eau de toilette at Costco for CAD$59 and I could not pass it up.

I'll admit that although I have been lusting after this for years I was hesitant to buy it because of the "old grandmother" stigma associated with this Chanel classic. I now regret wait for so long. It smells just like jasmine and powder, so timelessly classic, luxurious and elegant and alluring.

The packaging is just gorgeous, like all things Chanel. I think I'm hooked for life.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

The first time I smelled this I hated it. I thought it smelled like a port o potty. I retested this fragrance in Sephora, well actually I tried the Eau Premiere and I fell in love. I bought the no. 5 lotion and layered it with the no 5 eau premiere. eventually, I just HAD to get the original no 5 and I wear this every day. it is the best scent, it smells so clean and good and it smells even better layered with the lotion. i recommend trying this on yourself vs. just spraying it on a tester because it dries down different on everybody!

on 5/12/2016 11:31:00 AM

Purchased a 3.4 oz EDP for myself, as I turned 56 today - - splurge, yes, but best ever. It's a timeless classic with a fragrance that lingers all day. The dry down is phenomenol. I only sprayed on 2 different pulse points and wow, this bottle will last a long time! No wonder it's all Marilyn Monroe wore to bed!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I loved this at first, now it's a bit too synthetic for my liking :( it's got a powdery smell that I got over pretty quickly

on 1/29/2016 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

It is impossible to not give this perfume a five star rating, and I also think it's impossible to be objective about it, given its legendary status. When I turned 26, I asked my father for a bottle of this as a birthday present, and he got me a whopping 100ml bottle of the EDP (I love my dad). I figured it was time - time to embrace myself as a woman and declare it boldly - I am no shrinking violet! What I like about the EDP is that it is not as aldehydic as the other formulations, even though I have actually grown to like aldehydes through appreciating this fragrance. But my absolute favourite part of this perfume is the heart notes of lush jasmine and rose that just remind me of liquid gold, heavy and substantial and ultrafeminine. I actually think this is best worn with jeans and a t-shirt, upending the conventions of it being a dressed up perfume, and with a bit of a rock and roll attitude. I definitely reach for it more in the winter when heavier scents are comforting, and also when I need a boost of confidence. When I need to feel like I am a real woman- with a woman's scent.

I have definitely gotten compliments on this perfume, and I love the scent of it on sheets or warm winter jumpers...

on 11/15/2015 10:30:00 AM

My first ever fragrance from Chanel. I have always heard so much about No.5 over the years but have never considered getting one to add to my perfume collection. So two months ago,I decided to treat myself and bought the EDP purse spray set. It comes with 2 refills (20ml each) plus an additional tube already inside the beautiful black & gold lacquered case. I was told by the sales associate that there were several types of No.5 and each one has its own uniqueness. I specifically chose the EDP as i was drawn to it and i felt a special connection to the scent. It starts off really strong and slowly turns powdery as it dries. How i would describe NO.5 - Glamorous, confidence,sophistication and timeless. It may not appeal to everyone but i truly feel that this is a classy scent that is worth trying out.

PS : If i have to pick a second fave,it would be the Eau Premiere. :-)

on 2/12/2015 4:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The scent of this perfume just too mature for my liking. If you like fresh floral scents, this is def not for you

Popular Fragrances