Tabu Tabu by Dana cologne splash

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Top notes: fresh citrus and spices
Heart: jasmine, narcissus, rose and ylang-ylang
Base notes: amber, resins, civet, precious woods, sandal and patchouli

This perfume is virtually impossible to label, despite its reputation. One thing is for sure, you will have a reaction to it, whether good or bad.

The type of woman who wears this perfume is sensual and warm, just like the perfume (this is a true blue oriental fragrance if there ever was one). But she isn't overtly sexual; that bubbles underneath the surface, right where she feels it belongs.

You're just as likely to see her wearing a little black dress and heels as you are a pair of jeans and a plain cotton t-shirt shirt.

Clothes, shoes, handbags, makeup...she loves them. Her closet is filled to the brim with both timeless classics and modern looks, and yet you might find her riding on the back of a motorcycle wearing a no name brand tank top, a pair of tight, hot pink jeans and sexy black boots. But make no mistake about it, because this woman adores pearls too.

She likes what she likes, and makes no excuses for it. She's free to change her mind, and she does so whenever the mood suits her. But don't expect an explanation because you probably won't get one. That's just not her style and that's not who she is.

She's fiercely independent but expects to be treated like a lady. Anything less than that will not be tolerated. She lives life her own way, and makes no exceptions for that.

Whether it's baking cookies while wearing a baby pink angora sweater and a ribbon in her hair, or running off for a spur of the moment weekend trip with her lover, or even heading out to a rock concert in leather and sexy stilettos, there's one thing for certain. Tabu is what she's wearing, because like her, it's indefinable.

It's feminine. Intoxicating.

One of my favorites, I hoard bottles of this stuff and several violin bottles of pure perfume. They all smell slightly different, some deeper than others but all distinctively Tabu. Tabu is a musky, sensual warm delicious amber yummy scent, not overpowering unless you wear half the bottle. Tabu has stood the test of time for a reason, it is simply a seductively marvelous matriarch of Oriental perfumery.

To Read all 141 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/15/2015 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Horrible rancid stuff. I remember this from my teens when i would take. Whiff of fragrance in the drug store. It overpowered me with that horrible deep oriental smell. Well here i am an older woman thinking that maybe my nose bas matured. Well i still hate it nothing provocative ,luring or sexy. Naybe its just me. I just dont like orientals.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Tabu is warm, clean and woody, I can also smell musk, not sure if its one of the official notes but its there.
I like this enough to make sure I don't run out, so hope to always have a bottle in my collection.
Lovely notes of spices, jasmine, citrus, narcissus, rose, ylang-ylang, amber, resins, woods and patchouli.
I would rate this 6/10 zen the bottle is awesome like a violin which slots in well with my other bottles of fragrances.

on 5/5/2015 2:56:00 PM

This smells like lollipop lol It's cute but Nawww I won't be buying this one again. Strangely my mum loves it, go figure...

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This really gives you a bang for your buck!
On me it's very warm, woody, powdery, sweet & a bit spicy.
A few hours in and it reminds me of Nag Champa incense. I found a giftset on sale with lotion and shower gel. I was afraid it might be rancid, but it's amazingly good.
Has a strong vintage/classic vibe too. Love it
I will re-buy for sure!

on 2/15/2015 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

People like to snicker about this fragrance, about how strong it is. About how it's old-school, or cheap, or old-lady. About how women who wear it don't know how they are coming across to others. About how you can get it at Big Lots, for God's sake.

Yes, this is a strong, spicy Oriental fragrance. Yes, it has some substantial sillage to it. And yes, it's mass-market.

But here's the thing: women who can pull off this fragrance - and not everyone can, it's true - can OWN it. I'm not one of the lucky ones, because it doesn't work on me, but I stand in awe of those for whom it works, because when the chemistry is right it's just intoxicating. When I was comin' up in the 80s, Opium was the luxury fragrance (well, that and Obsession, but a lot of people thought Obsession was tacky cuz the masses adopted it. That's another argument for another day). To my nose, Tabu is a MUCH deeper, more interesting, more complex Oriental fragrance than Opium, which is pretty much just powder.

I was in a store several years ago and I got a whiff of something an older woman - I mean 80-something - was wearing. It was that instantly-recognizable Tabu. She just rocked it; all I could do was appreciate her fragrant aura and tip my hat to someone who could make the most of that for which a scent is designed.

Not everyone can wear this. I don't dare venture into anything other than the dusting powder, myself. But if you can wear the juice, if it suits you, then you can rule the world - or, at least, you sure as hell gonna smell like you can. For those who can pull it off, there is no other.

on 1/5/2014 1:04:00 AM

A very warm oriental fragrance. I. notice the following notes: bourbon, licorice, cola, amber, incense... I cant describe the final note any other way than calling it "winter fire". What I mean is that wonderful and soft smell of a distant fire burning in wintertime. Tabu is the older and more worldly sister of Obsession. Where Obsession is reckless and wild, Tabu is mature...patient...but wanton. Tabu is experienced and classy and should be worn by a mature woman who knows what she wants and will do whatever need be done to get it. Tabu is my signature scent.

on 12/27/2013 7:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

WOW! This is sensational. OH immediately noticed it. Everyone seems to rave about this scent so I had to try it for myself. It cost peanuts so not to try it would have been just plain rude. It has great sillage and great longevity. It is sort of a gourmand/oriental dream mix of notes. I am addicted to it!

on 8/13/2013 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

What makes this just right is the careful blend of sweetness and spice. It's definitely a heavy scent, but when used with a light touch, it radiates a subtle beauty and warmth. Super affordable, this smells anything but cheap. In fact, a co-worker commented that it smelled like something a very rich woman would wear. It's also very long lasting. One spritz of the cologne or a couple dabs of the perfume lasts all day. I do worry about reformulations though. I recently picked up a bottle at Walmart and was disappointed to find that it didn't smell quite the same as my current bottle. This sent me on a spending frenzy buying vintage bottles off the internet. Hopefully, I'll always be able to order the perfume (versus the cologne), which seems to remain truer to the original. It would be a sad thing if this beautiful fragrance were to simply disappear.

Popular Fragrances