Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum

4.4

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Fragrance, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Limonene, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben.

on 6/21/2016 11:31:00 AM

I love this product! Tames frizz and keeps my hair shiney. I apply a little to damp hair prior to blow drying and then I apply it as needed to dry hair. It does not build up or give me the greasy look. Love the smell, too.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Now that my hair is thick again I love this serum. When my hair was all falling out I had to give up serums for the longest time. They will weigh your hair down a bit. I enjoy that now. But if your hair is overly thin or fine (but normal in terms of quantity) go for a dry oil because those will moisturize your hair without adding any weight. Ion Keratin Dry Oil Mist is my favorite, while others love Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil Primer.

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum is actually on the thinner side as far as serums go. I have used much thicker ones and prefer this formula as the thinner consistency is easier to apply evenly. The slight scent is sort of fruity. And for all of you blondes out there, this will not stain your hair as it's completely clear.

These serums are basically just liquid silicone. So if you're a "cone hater", move along. I feel very fortunate that my hair responds better to silicone than "natural based" ingredients. Always apply this to damp hair so the silicone will trap moisture in. This is how I balanced a recent protein overdose. Applying it to dry hair will still make your hair soft...but you'll be locking moisture out in the process. My hair is in decent shape now but even when it was fried (I'm not kidding...it looked like hay) Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum was able to make it at least feel and appear healthier. It gives a lot of shine and smooths the hair's structure. I also found that this detangles my hair like a charm because the silicone adds slip. The effects are not long term as it washes out, but that's why you use a leave in conditioner after every shower.

There is a lot of anti-silicone propaganda going on now. It's all fueled by the same people that think mineral oil is toxic and will kill you. If natural oils work better for you, go for it. But they do not for everyone & it's ignorant to believe that haircare isn't a very your-mileage-may-vary subject. I tried going silicone free for several months and it was nasty. Do what works for you.

To Read all 706 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/27/2016 12:48:00 PM

Cant belive this product has such good reviews... This serum is average at the MOST.

Its SO thick!! Not overly sticky, but so heavy on the hair. My hair is "medium" length, lots of volume, frizz, dry ends. I had to force myself to use up this serum but didnt really enjoyed it.. I tried everything: as heat protector, post blow dryer, post straightner, post shower, pre shower (!), everything. It does give shine but its more like a wet look than really silky shiny hair.. even using a little bit, your hair will separate and look wet.

Thick serums just dont work on my big hair.. makes it sticky and uncomfortable. Its should be a light weight serum that will blend in with the hair and give it a nice shine. NOT the case.

on 3/23/2016 4:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This made my hair greasey. The price was good and the scent was ok. I didn't think it did anything great for my hair. This was the same quality as garnier but more expensive.

on 3/2/2016 7:06:00 PM

I get irritated with myself. I have fine very porous curly hair and after many years of trial and error I have pretty much determined that the best "silk" oil for my hair is Chi silk infusion. But I seem to have to try everything I can (especially if it's pricey) in a futile attempt toward something that (I guess) will make my tresses magically perfect. P.S. Curly hair struggles to be perfect... This product seems like it should be as good as the Chi But it leaves my tresses frizzier and less hydrated looking.

on 2/8/2016 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I tried it on dry hair after I curled it with my curling iron and it did nothing. It works great on damp hair. I shower and apply this on my hair and use my blow dryer. It tames the frizz and leaves my hair feeling really smooth. It also smells great. I don’t use this often because it doesn’t protect against the heat and I wish I can use it on dry hair because I always style my hair when it’s dry. I only use it when I want to minimize frizz. I would not repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my holy grail hair product. I have very fine hair, but a lot of it (thick) at the same time. Therefore, it's easy for my hair to get both greasy or coarse if I don't use the right products. Anyway, I've been using this serum since I was 15 years old and it somehow gives my hair a perfect, glossy feel without overdoing it (making it oily). It's perfffffect for people with complicated hair. Don't know what the ingredients are, but I could care less because I've never found anything work quite as well as this magic serum in a bottle. Not to mention the price is well worth it, considering it lasts a long time and comes with an easy to use pump. Bravo Paul Mitchell!

on 1/28/2016 2:02:00 PM

This serum is amazing. Recently, I've been disappointed by some of the John Paul Mitchell products I've tried but this product restored my faith in the company. It is hands down the best serum I've ever tried. It smells amazing, very cheap for the worth (you only need a little bit), and it makes your hair so glossy and shinny. Because it contains silicone, it can also be used as a heat protectant (I also add the John Paul Mitchell heat protectant to it as well). Worth every penny.

on 1/27/2016 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th bottle of this stuff - when I was a sophomore in high school, I got the best haircut of my life at a cheap Cost Cutters while I was on vacation. The lady gave me her card, but I lost it and never had a way to contact her again. While I was getting that haircut, the lady used this stuff in my hair because she said my hair wasn't frizzy, my cuticle just needed to be laid back down. She called it an "excited" cuticle. (haha!) That information has been extremely helpful ever since she told me that, I've been able to tame my thick but fine hair with this product and others aimed at calming the cuticle. While I didn't have the budget to spend on this serum when she originally recommended it for me, I did go back and purchase it about a year later -- and I fell in LOVE! This stuff smells AMAZING and calms the cuticle to make my frizz go away. If I apply it while my hair is wet, it even helps my hair dry in tighter ringlets than normal. I really enjoy it! Packaging is quality, with a locking pump which makes it good for travel. My only gripe is that it's relatively expensive, so I try to convince myself I can go without it - NOPE. I always end up buying it within a few months of running out. HG hair serum for my fine, thick, wavy, "excited cuticle" hair.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've had my bottle seriously over 2 or 3 years & made about a 1/3 dent in it so that goes to show how little I actually need!! This is awesome. I read about it in Snooki's book, it's a guidette essential & makes ur hair look good flat ironed OR curly. It's a little tricky on short hair (thanks to a horrible haircut from Ulta!), can't get it too close to the scalp. But it seems to seal hair preventing frizz, fly aways, split ends & sealing in shine. I wish it was a thermal protectant. This functions similar to Farouk BioSilk but the PM is better ime coz it feels like it's actually improving hair & making it grow a bit even. Maybe it's my imagination that it's growing (not fast enuff GRRR!). This is such a multi tasker use wet or dry. I don't find any buildup but I use LUSH shampoos at least once a week which are stripping so that has a clarifying effect I guess?This build up thing blah just get a clarifying sh/cond like VO5 Kiwi is cheap ;) idk why this isn't a heat protectant it SEEMS like a heat protectant but I guess not after reading reviews here. My hair is like straw from the flat iron but this seems to seal those straw like ends & give them new life. I will never be w/o this esp since RedkenGlass my old HG fave being DC'd. Smells amazing & HG status!!