Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
Super Skinny SerumSuper Skinny Serum

4.4

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Fragrance, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Limonene, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a decent serum. If you have extremely thick hair, as I do, it's worth it to really spend time massaging it in, working in small amounts rather than a full pump as the directions suggest.

Salon haircare fragrance is a bit of a roulette wheel; SSS has a not too heavy fresh/cucumber melon scent.

The US$21 price almost kills me to pay when the Garnier Sleek & Shine serum is $3 and actually works better, but it isn't cruelty free, so I'm willing to make the tradeoff.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Been through 2 bottles of this serum. Other than this, I try to limit silicones. Excellent for post-heat treatment, whether it be flat or curling iron...softens hair without weighing down. Excessive use, however, is not desirable. Thus, I recommend using no more than one to two doses, which suffices for my rather thick hair.

on 1/21/2017 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Makes my fine, thin hair look very, very flat. I just wanted something to smooth my flyaways.

However it does make your hair look much glossier and smoother and will last the entire day so may work for those with more hair, natural volume or curly hair. For anyone with fine, Asian hair you may want to steer clear as there are other products that will smooth hair without eliminating ALL the volume in your hair.

on 11/23/2016 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Just started using this recently and love how my hair feels afterwards. I have fine hair and it works great. I have tried a few other serums but they make my hair too oily and weigh it down. But this one actually seems to add a bit volume while making my hair shiny!! I use it on wet hair before blow drying and it makes a big differenc. Definitely will be buying more when I run outb

This is my most loved, most purchased hair product. I've bought about five bottles first one was about ten years ago. Price wise it's expensive upfront but one bottle last me one and half years with everyday personal use. Considering all the new oils and serums I have purchased on the side. Egh, the whole morrocan, macadamia, aargan, etc phase is over, just a marketing scheme to sell the old idea of silicone oils/serums at a higher price. Don't get fooled, your just paying 50 dollars for exotic lovely scented..... silicones!
I have thin blonde waist length hair. This never makes my hair look or feel greasy. I use a dime size, about half a pump a full pump is a little bit bigger than a quarter for thicker hair. I have used this on native american, natural hair, thin fine, course thick and frizzy hair. This is just a spectacular styling serum they make my blow outs special and sleek. The smell is similar to Jolly Ranchers but doesn't carry out too much on the hair. Everyone always really likes the smell. I absolutely love this I hope it's never discontinued, everyone always ask me how I get my hair so straight and shiny. My friends beg me to do their hair with this. I usually just apply it after showering let air dry then iron it when dried. It's manages to keep it straight and prefect all day.

PRO'S
Smells great
Actually protects against heat damaged it's all I use
Leaves hair really soft and sleek
Speeds up drying time
Lightweight enough for really thin hair don't apply on roots if you do!
Actually straightens hair
Kills frizz like noones business
Stops hair from curling or frizzing up in humid climates
Makes ends or damaged hair appear shiny healthier and hydrated

Con's

Can cause build up and greasy if too much is applied
Can't flip out ends alot or curl hair, use hot rollers, etc but duh why would you even try that. Defeats the purpose.

*update*
Amazon buyer beware of the fakes on the website. I just got a fake bottle it most be diluted or something it doesn't smell as strong and sweet and feels way thicker. It's usually a tad runny this is super thick like they add cheap gel or silicone in it. Wtf. Terrible.
I think a girl below might of got a fake too because she said it was super thick and the legit one is quite thin. Im only buying from the salon from now on.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing!! It improved the quality of my hair and added shine, bounce and life back to my hair. It also reduces the tangles which abundant in my hair.

on 6/21/2016 11:31:00 AM

I love this product! Tames frizz and keeps my hair shiney. I apply a little to damp hair prior to blow drying and then I apply it as needed to dry hair. It does not build up or give me the greasy look. Love the smell, too.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Now that my hair is thick again I love this serum. When my hair was all falling out I had to give up serums for the longest time. They will weigh your hair down a bit. I enjoy that now. But if your hair is overly thin or fine (but normal in terms of quantity) go for a dry oil because those will moisturize your hair without adding any weight. Ion Keratin Dry Oil Mist is my favorite, while others love Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil Primer.

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum is actually on the thinner side as far as serums go. I have used much thicker ones and prefer this formula as the thinner consistency is easier to apply evenly. The slight scent is sort of fruity. And for all of you blondes out there, this will not stain your hair as it's completely clear.

These serums are basically just liquid silicone. So if you're a "cone hater", move along. I feel very fortunate that my hair responds better to silicone than "natural based" ingredients. Always apply this to damp hair so the silicone will trap moisture in. This is how I balanced a recent protein overdose. Applying it to dry hair will still make your hair soft...but you'll be locking moisture out in the process. My hair is in decent shape now but even when it was fried (I'm not kidding...it looked like hay) Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum was able to make it at least feel and appear healthier. It gives a lot of shine and smooths the hair's structure. I also found that this detangles my hair like a charm because the silicone adds slip. The effects are not long term as it washes out, but that's why you use a leave in conditioner after every shower.

There is a lot of anti-silicone propaganda going on now. It's all fueled by the same people that think mineral oil is toxic and will kill you. If natural oils work better for you, go for it. But they do not for everyone & it's ignorant to believe that haircare isn't a very your-mileage-may-vary subject. I tried going silicone free for several months and it was nasty. Do what works for you.

on 4/27/2016 12:48:00 PM

Cant belive this product has such good reviews... This serum is average at the MOST.

Its SO thick!! Not overly sticky, but so heavy on the hair. My hair is "medium" length, lots of volume, frizz, dry ends. I had to force myself to use up this serum but didnt really enjoyed it.. I tried everything: as heat protector, post blow dryer, post straightner, post shower, pre shower (!), everything. It does give shine but its more like a wet look than really silky shiny hair.. even using a little bit, your hair will separate and look wet.

Thick serums just dont work on my big hair.. makes it sticky and uncomfortable. Its should be a light weight serum that will blend in with the hair and give it a nice shine. NOT the case.

on 3/23/2016 4:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This made my hair greasey. The price was good and the scent was ok. I didn't think it did anything great for my hair. This was the same quality as garnier but more expensive.

Popular Styling Products