Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

4.2

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, PEG 40 Stearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Laurate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Petrolatum, Dimethicone, Myristyl Myristate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Cellulose Gum, Sorbic Acid, BHT, Imidazolidinyl Urea

on 4/25/2016 3:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is absolutely one of my HG moisturizers. I use this for its magical exfoliating powers, not really for deep moisture treatment. The texture is thin, it's easy to apply and sinks in quickly. Layers wonderfully with other products. I like this lotion formula a lot better than the souffle, which can be a bit gummy and take forever to absorb. I can always tell when I haven't been using this often enough (I rotate between a few things and sometimes forget). This really does make my skin look fresh and new and gives it a gentle satin sheen because it's so soft and so nicely exfoliated.

Also, I should point out that there is SO MUCH PRODUCT IN THIS BOTTLE for the price. It is ridiculous. This is a larger bottle than any facial moisturizer I've ever purchased. Amazing value. I hope they never stop making this!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is my favourite AHA product at the moment. I apply it as a cream all over my face after cleansing, I just like it to do its work overnight. You just have to make sure your face is completely dry otherwise you'll annihilate the acidic effect. It comes in a squeeze bottle with a cap - very good hygiene-wise. Its been few months since I got it, there's still about half bottle left and it hasn't lose its efficacy. I tried their 10% cream, but prefer this one. You get a lot more product for same price, if not cheaper. Recommend!

To Read all 185 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I saw this in makeupalley top picks for moisturizers, thought I would give it a try. Bought it off of amazon for a reasonable $20. The first time I used it it stung and my skin was read. I believe that's pretty normal. I used it every other night, then eased into every night. It truly works great. This, along with daily exfoliation has cleared & brightened my skin. I will repurchase. I have sensitive skin and was concerned the first few uses, but the results are worth trying it!

Update: still using this, along with the aha soufflé 12%' and the 14% serum. My skin has improved so much thanks to these products. I will continue using them faithfully. I have suffered from acne since my early 20s and now I can finally wear minimal to no makeup and feel comfortable. Highly recommend if you suffer from mild to moderate acne, or have dull skin.

on 2/23/2016 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is more of a first impression than a review because I have just started using this particular AHA. First, let me say I notice it is a new packaging for this line that is now called ALPHA Skin Care instead of ALPHA HYDROX.

Prior to purchasing this product I had used and liked their AHA Souffle 12% and the Intensive serum 14%. So I am not a newbie to this product line, but am new to the 10% "Essential Renewal Lotion". Because I have used higher levels of Glycolic AHA, I feel no tingling or burning. I'm not sure I like my AHA in lotion form, and will probably go back to the Intensive serum 14% because I like that delivery system better.

This was a 4 oz. size for $16.99 from Ulta. You can probably find it less expensive elsewhere.

I think this would be a good starter for someone that needs a less intense percentage of AHA, and it also comes in a cream base.

I do love their products and their prices, but only gave it 4 lippies due to the fact I prefer the serum form.

I look forward to reading future reviews of this product & see what you think.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

OK this is going to be a lengthy review but hear me out! I live in Canada and our dollar is terrible right now so I can't purchase high end/quality products like Paula's Choice (which is what I wanted). I found out about Alpha Hydrox on this site and decided to give it a try. It was about $20 on Amazon.ca including shipping so I thought that was a pretty fair price. I have fair, sensitive, combination skin so when I applied this product it stung a little bit. The stinging DOES go away so it doesn't really bother me. I put this product on at night because you do have to wear quite a bit of sunscreen on top if you wear it during the day. You should NOT be in the sun without sunscreen if you are using this product during the day! Anyway, at first I used it every other night and I didn't notice any difference. I then switched to every night and still didn't notice a difference. It wasn't until about 2 weeks after using this product every night did I begin to notice some changes. ALL of my closed comedones that I have had for MONTHS began to surface. Yes I did break out a bit, but I knew it was part of the purge. THEN I noticed that my skin started evening out and my PIH was looking less angry. I realized after 3 weeks that I didn't even need to put foundation on. My skin is literally GLOWING. So in conclusion, if you don't see results right away, give this product some time. This one is a keeper for life!

**UPDATE** I had to go back to 2-3 times a week for this product, after a while the once a night application was proving a little too much for my skin. After dialing it back my skin was fine and still looking great from this product. As with every product you use, always monitor your skin and adjust as needed. Changing a review to negative because something went wrong is unfair, it's always better to see if something else is affecting it or you just need to tweak your routine.

**UPDATE PT.2** had stopped using this product because my skin was so great I thought I didn't need it anymore. Boy was I wrong. After a few months and some very terrible hormonal breakouts (which included my back and chest) I started using this again. I am still absolutely amazed by this lotion!! It dried up two pimples on my chest OVERNIGHT and has almost cleared all of my closed comedones on my face over the course of a week. I see visible improvement of my skin's texture and my PIH has reduced significantly. I will never stop using this product.

on 9/10/2015 5:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was so disappointed in this. I love alpha hydroxy acid, specifically glycolic acid, so I was so excited to try this product. I use Dan's Acne.org AHA+ lotion which I absolutely love, so I thought this would be a great dupe, since this is more convenient to get in stores. It has a greasy feel and feels rather heavy on your skin. Doesn't ever really absorb, more sits on top. I greatly dislike that feel. Also strangely enough the formula not even applied near my eyes irritated them. I must note that I do have sensitive eyes, but after wearing this for 30 minutes my eyes were stinging and getting red. Product never came in contact with my eyes and it happened on different occasions when I tried it again, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. If you are going to get an AHA I very much recommend the one form Acne.org over this one any day. Also the one from Acne.org has a more beneficial ingredients then only glycolic acid to help your skin.

on 5/27/2015 4:43:00 AM

This product is a miracle in a bottle for me! I've been battling comedonal acne for years, to the point where I've forgotten what it feels like to run my hands across smooth skin when I wash my face. My face was covered in tons of tiny bumps that looked terrible under makeup and certain lightings, and it affected my self-esteem so much.

I've tried almost everything to get rid of those bumps. Facials and laser treatments, derm medications, supplements, expensive creams - I've tried them all! But most either didn't work or were temporary and very expensive solutions.

I randomly came across this product while shopping for supplements on iHerb one day, and decided to throw it into my cart since it was cheap and the reviews are pretty positive. It was the best purchase I've ever made.

I use it once a day before bed, and within a week, I could see a difference. In a month, my skin was 95% clear with just some old stubborn bumps left. And now, three months into using the product, my skin is the best it's ever been in a long time. Smooth, soft, and bump-free! Yes, I can finally feel smooth skin again when I wash my face after years of rough and bumpy skin! It's hard to imagine that just three months ago I was in a state of despair because of my horrible skin when now, I can leave the house confidently without make up.

I have pretty sensitive skin but thankfully, did not experience any breakout with this product. The tingliness upon application is also very mild and does not bother me at all. I'm so happy to have found something this cheap that works so amazingly, and I will continue to re-purchase as long as it's available!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a product that is so cheap that one might be skeptical as to its effectiveness. Six ounces for $10! (And, you can tell that they put next to zero effort in terms of packaging it attractively — it's incredibly dated and looks like something you would find in your great aunt's bathroom amongst the piles of stuff she's been hoarding for 30 years.)

But it's just as effective as the Peter Roth Thomas 10% AHA moisturizer that I bought (and loved) a couple of years ago, only that one is $45 for 2.2 ounces, or more than 10x the cost of this one. I also randomly tried another 10% glycolic acid cream from Reviva Labs but that one burned like hell and produced zero results. No bueno.

This one does sting a bit when first applied (and if you have sensitive skin, you really ought to do a patch test somewhere first, per the instructions on the box), but it dissipates after a few minutes. The stinging doesn't bother me since the results are great and I absolutely can't beat the price, but if it's something that's stopping you from including an AHA in your regimen, it might be worth it to fork up for the PTR version, which in my experience, didn't sting at all (it's formulated differently and also somehow releases stuff over time, which may be easier for more sensitive skin to handle).

In any case, this is truly a transformative product and changed the texture of my skin for the better after only one use (woke up the next day with skin as soft as a baby's ass). Interestingly, not only were there immediate improvements in the texture of my skin, I also noticed (after applying again in the morning) that everything else I put on top absorbed better into my skin. Nice!

Finally and somewhat specific to the San Francisco area: while this is technically a drugstore product, it's one of the harder ones to find locally. City Target doesn't seem to carry it, and none of the Walgreens I've been to had it (but they all have such different inventory, so who knows?). Not sure about CVS. But, Bed Bath and Beyond has it (and lots of other Alpha Hydrox products as well).

I'm in my early 30's and have combination-dry skin that was looking a little too congested and "flaky" for my liking, so I decided to "amp up" my chemical exfoliation routine and give this lotion a try, and I am so glad I did!

The lotion is silky in texture and spreads very easily (a couple of pea-sized dabs does my whole face/neck).

In just a week of nightly use, I am seeing my pores become more refined, hormonal acne along the jawline clear up, and the two fine lines I possess soften. I can't believe this stuff sells for roughly just $13 per 6 fluid oz...

on 3/19/2015 10:34:00 PM

I was really excited about trying out an AHA product after watching a few YouTube videos on the amazing effects at clearing acne scars. I have sensitive acne prone skin and have been doing pretty well with an Estée Lauder BHA serum and Benzoyl Peroxide (Neutrogena), but I thought about how wonderful it would be to remove dark spots from acne and get anti-aging results. I bought one bottle many years ago of this and never used it because it said to spot test and I got scared with my sensitive skin and gave it to my mom to see if she was brave enough. While I see many glowing reviews and have no doubt that it works wonderful for some, I would say use with caution. I followed all the instructions and used a high SPF during the day and broke out in a red bumpy rash all over my face. This lasted for about 7 days. One day my skin was so bad I couldn't wear makeup to work and my coworker thought I was grump because I looked so bad. This makes me laugh after the fact;) I gave this two stars though because after the unsightly rash disappeared my skin did appear to look a little better, but I will stick to things that do not give me a rash for a week. Again, it seems to work well for most, just be wary if you have sensitive skin like me.