Clairol Nice 'n Easy Hair Color

Nice 'n Easy Hair ColorNice 'n Easy Hair ColorNice 'n Easy Hair Color

3.3

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I did not have a bad experience with this at all. After dying my hair burgundy with another brand and not having the color show up, I decided to dye over it just plain black. I went with nice n' easy 2bb/124 Natural Blue Black. I really liked the result. I didn't experience a strong smell at all. It was really easy to use and not uncomfortable in any way. I love the color. Granted there really is no blue-ish tint in the black but I don't mind when all I wanted was just a true black. Lasting power is good on my hair. I'm going on a few weeks now and the color is still like when I first dyed it. I do use shampoo & conditioner for color treated hair to make sure the color doesn't go anywhere. Overall I really like this brand for hair dye. I'll be using it again.

on 6/13/2017 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used SB2 in the sunkissed line. Ultra light cool summer blonde. Great color came out, lightened my dark blonde roots great. Only issue is the smell of the color is ridiculous, it smells absolutely horrible. And the nice and easy color usually causes me some stinging on my head. But for the price and for the result it is worth it. Very nice product.

on 2/25/2015 8:39:00 AM

I've tried so many boxed dyes and I can honestly say this is by far the worst. I bought this product because I needed a colour to tone down my brassy hair and it was the only ash blonde colour I could find at the time. First thing I noticed was that it had the strongest smell I've ever experienced with hair dye, I couldn't breathe because it was burning my nose and I dread thinking of all the harmful chemicals I inhaled. The instructions did mention needing a well ventilated room but you can't escape the chemicals when they're on your scalp.
The next thing I noticed was that the product was too thin. Most dyes I've used mix a creme formulated colour with the developer while this dye had a liquid colour which I assume was the culprit for the messy application.
Lastly, it burned. I've never experienced a hair dye that burned, my hair's pretty strong and it can take a lot but my skin is another matter. So when I applied this product I didn't expect the tops of my ears to feel like they'd been deep fried. I always apply a layer of vaseline or paw paw ointment to product my skin but this dye was relentless and melted through that protective barrier. My ears now have mild chemical burns and it's awful, thankfully my scalp is fine because I don't know how I would have been able to cope with that.
To top it all off this colour didn't change my hair colour much at all and it could be because my hair was too brassy but I'm betting it was mostly due to the product.
Definitely do not recommend, there's so many other products out there which are miles better and this is the first and last time I'm purchasing Nice n Easy.

on 3/13/2016 10:20:00 PM

I personally do not like this Brand even though the packaging looks great the color does not stay for long it washes out too quickly and you constantly have to keep coloring it to hold its color. Not a fan at all. Oh and don't get me started on the smell it is horrible for those with sensitive eyes and sensitive this is not for you or anybody really. Its awful .

on 4/24/2017 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Have repurchased multiple times in dark brown or medium dark brown, normally ash or neutral. I am Asian, NC 30-35, with some grey roots. Yes, it smells of ammonia and there is a stinging sensation, but this does not damage my scalp. It also covers and converts the gray into a slightly lighter brown so I get the semblance of low lights. It's cheap and convenient.

I don't do the roots first. I wait out the extra (fourth) month and do the whole head. I find it fun and easy to DIY re cut -- various pony tail cut methods strung together), and have googled various hair websites to find different tips for color like changing times for the developer or ways to seal the cuticle with ACV etc etc. To be safe, you should of course follow the easy directions given in the box. I've never had a disaster or even a marginal experience, but I do feel that any DIY job has the potential to go awry. The next time I do it, I might try mixing only part of the dye and just doing roots. That's because the rest of my head still retains color after months. However, the majority of my hair is dark and the color change is not drastic. I have recently made sure to seal the hair cuticle, but even before that, the color lasted. My hair length ranges from. below the shoulders to the bra strap, and 3/4 of the box is ample for my whole head.

I am prone to hives and milia and this does not irritate my face or scalp. If I mistakenly get a smudge on my face, I just rub it off. For some reason, when I was searching for recommendations for a good home dye, I decided against L'Oréal and garnier products. Probably because some blogger at the time wrote those brands were harsh. If as I do, you prefer a cool brown, go with ash or neutral as all other browns seem to have reddish undertones. I love the tube of color seal conditioner that comes with the dye. I ration it out and use as a deep conditioner as needed. If it were available for separate purchase, I would buy it.

on 3/7/2016 10:17:00 PM

I've been dying my hair for 6 years now and spent the past 2 dying it blonde from my natural shade of light brown. I used this dye in what I believe is shade 10.0 (ultra light natural blonde possibly?) and I can say it may be the only dye that manages to cover my roots and blend them in with the rest of my hair.

I've used other dyes such as garnier olia and Schwarzkopf both of which were useless with lightening my roots, particularly the olia which made no difference and left me with 3 month grown out roots to leave to settle before I felt it was okay to dye again.

The strong formula is its own worst enemy though as the smell and burning are rather off putting. I had to leave the room at one point as the smell was becoming unbearable and making my eyes run, also my neck began to feel a little sore from excess product. If you can deal with this then the dye it's perfect at doing its job, but I wouldn't recommend for very sensitive skin!

I'm constantly battling resistant greys, hot roots and my porous ends mean I have to be very careful with home colouring. My main concern is with evening out my overall dark brown colour without brassiness or black ends. I am normally happy with most of the L'oreal Preference dark brown shades but in the last few months I've instead opted for Nice n' Easy permanent in Medium Cool Brown or just plain old Medium Brown as I've used and been happy with the 24 washes version (though it only lasts 7 on me) and I figured if I don't leave the permanent version on too long although it will just blend in my greys rather than covering them completely, it won't give me hot roots or black ends. For a touch-up on greys you have to leave it on approx. 35 mins; for first-time colour on greys you leave it on for 45 mins. I opted to do my most visible greys first - temples and parting - then the rest of my roots except for the mid-lengths/ends which I left untouched until the final 10/5 mins; overall dyeing time 25/30 mins. This dye contains ammonia and stinks to high heaven. Hell, the first time I used it, it made my eyes smart, plus it burns the scalp more the longer you leave it on (afterwards I use some Aveda Scalp Remedy which always relieves any post-dye discomfort). I have armpit length hair and one box is just enough, although my hair is not thick. A colour deposit conditioner is supplied which I'm not too impressed with, having used the brilliant non-colour deposit ones supplied with the 24 washes, Preference and Colorsilk (C'silk's a dreadful dye though). The dye is fairly easy to wash out but the first time I realised I desperately needed a protein treatment as my hair absorbed water like a sponge afterwards, so I did an Aphogee treatment after a couple of days. Ever since that first use, I've been applying it mixed with an intensive conditioner on dyeing day and in between using protein treatments, intensive conditioner and oils. But on the days I dye, it always feels soft and looks shiny regardless. Many of my greys poke through again within two weeks but because I've suffered damage from over-dyeing in the past I use the Nice n' Easy every 5/6 weeks and in between I apply Adore Plus in a rich dark brown shade to jazz it up a bit. By the 4-week stage I'm desperate to cover my emerging greys properly rather than just blending them in, but bombarding my hair with vegetable dye and color deposit shampoo and conditioner helps me stretch out my dyeing sessions. Overall, a very good dye at a great price that suits my needs and has many more dark brown shades than Preference, albeit slightly less fashionable.

on 12/31/2014 6:28:00 PM

The situation: light/med brown hair roots with red, blonde highlights that cost 150 bucks. Desired: blended roots with top of highlights, while keeping the 'tones' of the highlights.
So I have had a strong reaction as a burning scalp to Nice and Easy dyes (also fructis) and I have stayed away. Saw this on clearance at Walmart in a 2 pack for 9 bucks and since Im a little poor after the holidays, I thought I'd try it, for at most 15 min. Also, i hadn't washed my hair for 2 days to hopefully not burn again. So this afternoon, I used 2 boxes of 118A, neutral medium brown for my below shoulder average thickness hair. One bottle for just roots, starting in back, working up to part and temples. So impressed with the 'staining' of the color- be careful as it could discolor your vanity. However, it truly stunk- and on New Years Eve in winter, opening windows was necessary. The burn? Yep. Still has it for me. It started as a tingle, then it literally hurt. After leaving it on for 10, I pulled it through for 5 and jumped in the shower. The hair dye was rich and creamy and took a while to rinse out. (I bet most browns do against a white tub) but after the rinsing and color care conditioner, I was done. So surprised at how happy I am. Truly, truly surprised. The ends of the highlights are toned down, the roots are beautifully blended, I still have dimesion. No green, no brass, no hot roots, just great! 9 bucks vs 150 and 30 min vs 4 hrs? Win win. I xan live with the burn for 15 min for the results.

on 1/3/2015 3:11:00 AM

NOPE. Did not like this product at all. First it is the horrible ammonia chemical smell which fills the whole room with the scent when applying, it's strong enough to make your eyes water, and how it also lingers on your hair even after washing. This product simply did not last at all, I have yellowy/ dark blonde hair which is lighter at the ends and naturally a light brown at the roots and brought it in a medium brown shade, and after about 2 weeks, it washed out to a tinted orange/ copper shade, it simply did not last and it was permanent, not to mention I now have a regrowth - proof that the colour did last, it only tinted my hair lightly - did not last anywhere near the 6-8 week permanent claim. I now have wasted $15 on a bad product, and I now have red/ copper hair. :\

on 1/5/2015 2:43:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Aboutley horrible. Smells disgusting and my eyes were so watery I couldn't see. First batch I bought was the wrong colour- nearly dyed my hair brown! I bought a second batch of ash blonde and it didn't cover my light blonde and changed my green streaks a manky purple grey colour.