Neostrata Toning Solution (8%)

Neostrata Toning Solution (8%)
No Title

INGREDIENTS: Aqua, Alcohol Denat., Glycolic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Ammonium Hydroxide, Polyquaternium-10, Polysorbate 20, Chlorhexidine Digluconate.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Over the last 6 months, I've really dialled in on what works for my sensitive, reactive, acne prone skin. I now use neutrogena ultra gentle daily cleanser creamy formulation, (currently, but soon to change) olay 7 effects fragrance free moisturizer, and life brand 5% benzoyl peroxide (because its fragrance free). This has really reduced my breakouts to 2 or 3 quick healing spots.
But, I'm also nearing 30, have a young child, and terrible sleeping habits. The early signs of aging- dullness, uneven tone, lines and bags around my eyes and mouth- have begun.
I used this glycolic toner college and had great skin. Then my wedding approached, and I thought I could improve on what was already really good, and tried skyn iceland's daily peels. Those were a disaster, and triggered perioral dermatitis under my mouth. I cut all acids and exfoliation for the next 3 years while clearing that up, and have just started incorporating this toner back in.
I've been using the level 1 toner for 2 weeks now, every morning after cleansing. This has already boosted radiance, cleared out some pores, and makes current zits dry up. It does make your face a bit sticky and increases redness in my cheeks, but if I only use it once a day my skin does ok. I'm hoping fine lines and scars will be reduced with more usage, and fingers crossed for no P.O.D!

on 9/10/2015 10:25:00 PM

PRAISE BABY JESUS I HAVE FOUND MY HG!!!! I am 30ish and this toner has gotten rid of EVERY SINGLE 1ST SIGN OF AGING PROBLEM I had. Sorry about the caplocks but that is how excited I am. My issues were these; dry skin, oily skin, super oilier during my cycle, dehydration, fine lines around the eyes, dull uneven skin tone, flaky cheeks, black heads on and around nose some on the chin and the odd hormonal breakout.

After just TWO uses, I could feel my facial serum finally being absorbed. After 4 uses, I no longer needed a foundation (just pressed powder!), after 8, fine lines around eyes start to diminish.

This does not sting or irritate my skin (rosacea prone around my nose), it is not sticky nor make my face oily upon waking. I use every other day, and the days between those I use my Retinol (which I felt never really worked before, but now it just may!). You can usually get on sale if you 'flyer surf' the drugstores.

Please note that Neostrata recently changed the name to just 'acne clear' but it IS the same product. I will repurchase for sure!

To Read all 84 Reviews, Login or Join

My review mimics ElleDuncan's: this product has transformed my skin! I had ok skin but decided to go to the dermatologist and see if I could get "wow" skin. He gave me retin a micro and I spent 5 horrible months struggling with dry, cracking skin and every moisturizer I tried made me breakout on top of the purging from the retin a! I was miserable, makeup didn't even look good on my skin anymore. I decided less was best, threw out the retin a micro and started on the following regime: 1) cleanser 2) neostrata 8% toner. 3) neutrogena healthy skin (original formula). I've done this routine morning and night for the past 5 weeks and my skin went from covered in pimples and scars, dry, flaky (a mess!) to smooth and radiant, no pimples, hydrated. I am in disbelief. My skin has not looked this beautiful in years (before I had kids) I used to pick pimples (so bad) and I would just get more pimples, more scarring. It was never ending. Now I get a zit and my face is so clear I don't panic-I just leave it alone and it goes away in no time with no scarring. LOVE this product. It made the difference. Price is a little on the higher end but I wait until it goes on sale at shoppers and stock up :) hope this review helps some of you out there-there is nothing like the confidence clear skin gives you. Don't give up!

on 11/21/2014 6:03:00 PM

Ok, this product litteraly saved my face.

Since summer, I got a lot of clogged pores/closed comedones on the forehead and it looked really bad with the daylight...

I've tried salycilic acid to get rid of them, but I discovered I was allergic to it...

My doctor suggested me this product from Neostrata because trying Retin-A (which is reallly strong) since my forehead was covered of bumps and they would stay for at least 1 month before disappearing...

The first week I got a good clearing, but the second...OMG all the clogged pores broke out and I got NEW ONES. Now I know that it was the ''purge'' but it was still really difficult for me.

After 7-8 weeks of patience, MY SKIN IS BACK TO NORMAL!!! :D I must say that my purge last for over 5-6 weeks, but after that, no more weird bumps! I couldn't be happier.

How to use it???

If you don't want to get an irritation and stuff, start by using it only one night each 2 days. After one week, use it every night. After one month, use it morning and night.

I did like this so my skin didn't burn or anything :)

Et voilą!

on 10/26/2014 1:21:00 PM

I originally purchased this for my 17 year old daughter who suffers mild acne on her forehead and cheeks. However upon reading the positive reviews I also tried this on myself for anti aging, fading old scars and overall texture of my skin. On myself I found it to be too sticky and eventually to give me dry flaky skin. It didn't improve scars or give my face a smooth texture. I don't like it and will continue to use a scrub instead.
But my daughter actually gets positive results as her acne is diminishing and scars fading.
So yes I would repurchase for her but not for myself.

I'm usually very verbose.
This time I'm going to keep it short and sweet.
Listen up:
acne sufferers: GET through the brief purge (3 to 6 weeks is normal)
and you WILL be amazed. This product used nightly only, followed by an 8% glycolic cream by the same brand, has CHANGED MY SKIN. Yes, it's been 6 months. But this time last year, I never left the house without makeup on, felt insecure about the scars and pimples, and had a totally different texture to my skin. Now I am daily grateful for my glorious glowing skin that I never thought I'd get back after ten years of persistent, mild, but scarring acne.
I get compliments on my skin. That was unheard of before.
Yes, it's pricey. It works. It's safe, it's proven effective, it's easy to find. Buy it. Try it. And get back to feeling wonderful in your skin so you can focus on more important things in life! :))

EDIT: I think I've spent more on my toning solution than any other face care product as the months go by, and I do not care. This stuff has positively renovated my face. I actually get asked by friends what to do for their breakouts, as they see over the last year + how transformed my skin is. I no longer panic with a hormone pimple or temporary diet-induced or stress-induced breakout; I just stick to my regimen, don't pick and it clears up beautifully. Old scars continue to fade while new pimples come and go without leaving their merciless reminders on my face as red marks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This toner irritated my skin too much :( I stuck with it through the purging period, but even months later I felt like it left a sticky residue and didn't make my skin feel good. Especially not worth it since it had no visible benefits to my skin issues.

on 3/4/2014 12:01:00 AM

This product changed my life. I had really bad flaky, congested skin before and some acne. This stuff really helped clear me out of all the acne and congestion such as white heads and black heads. I would spend hours picking at my skin to get all the sebum and dead skin out about every 2 days. I also had hyperpigmentation. After my doctor prescribed this with 2% clyndamicen, I never had to pick at my face again!

It's been 4 months now since starting this product, I hadn't had any congestion nor have I had even one pimple! My hyperpigmentation is fading quick and my skin feels smooth and not dry at all.

At first using this product I noticed a change right away. However, little white heads would pop up in places I wouldn't have ever had them, this is because the product makes your skin purge all the dirt and polution that's inside your skin. It lasts about 2 weeks and then your skin goes back to normal and better than before. I would give it time. When you first put this product on, if you're not used it it, it will sting, similar to putting lemon juice on your skin. This can be irritating but is normal, it will go away after a few minites when your skin climatizes to this product.

I would work my way up from this 8% level 1 product to the higher grade of AHAs and not use a stronger product if you haven't used AHAs before.

If you battle and struggle with acne and majorly congested comedomed skin like me, this product is right for you and it will make your skin feel and look amazing and in a way you never thought possible. Use with broadspectrum sunscreen for best results though.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I absolutely love this product. It is a great value when compared to other AHA toners available and it is available at tons of drugstores making it easy to find.
I have oily acne prone skin and this toner works extremely well for me. I followed the instructions and gradually increased how frequently I use the toner so my skin did not react negatively at all. I have noticed that it has helped some of my acne scars and skin discoloration fade with regular use. I find it necessary to use a hydrating moisturizer while I use this as it makes my skin dry. Overall this toner has improved my acne, reduced my scars and evened out my skin tone! I would recommend this product to anyone with similar skin to mine!

on 1/15/2014 7:39:00 PM

i started using the level 1 first to build up my tolerance.. i noticed in less than a week, my skin was smoother and brighter. my skin would peel as well. i read other reviews and they mentioned this product purging their skin. it does purge a bit.. but it goes away fast and very small. now im using level 2 and i find faster and better results with the level 2. i use level 1 in the morning and level 2 at night. faded most of my acne scars already! even indented acne scars that i had..and only with two months of use. Def recommend this to anyone!