John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

John Masters Organics Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler
Joh Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler

3.7

on 11/28/2006 10:45:00 PM

I know I'm in the minority but this just didn't work for me. It didn't detangle my hair AT ALL, my hair wasn't soft after using it, nor did it do anything for my frizzies like others have posted. I tried it both as a leave-in and washing it out after leaving it in a few minutes, after using the JM Primrose shampoo. For frizziness, I had better luck with Elucence s/c.

on 3/31/2007 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This conditioner is so wonderful I have even put it on a list to reorder again and again. It makes my hair feel like strong silk. The hyaluronic acid and honey make the hair strands seem plump, thick, full of volume, and incredibly shiny. Rinse out or leave in, I love it. And the smell is unbelievable! So yummy. I even use it to shave. This makes a fantastic shaving cream.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an awesome conditioner/detangler. The scent is wonderful, but doesn't last. The directions say that you can use it as a leave-in conditioner or rinse it out. I was skeptical about leaving it in. I thought my hair would look greasy and weighted down, but once my hair was dry, I just had soft shiny hair. I only wish you could buy this in a larger bottle (comes 8 oz), but a little really does go a long way.

on 6/16/2008 8:57:00 PM

I rarely find hair care products that I want to rave for, but man, I LOVE this stuff!

My hair feels (and looks) tamed! With no styling! No effort!

I'm used to using a bunch of conditioner (a big blob), so I'm trying to control myself and only use a little bit. Makes my hair incredibly soft, no need to detangle/comb/brush, and I can even try to wear my waves w/out using many styling products (lately just a little gel).

Thick/wavy/medium texture hair.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got a sample of this, and 10ml lasted me 3 or 4 uses which is great & slightly justifies the price. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me. The packaging said 'great for coloured hair' and that it was suitable for dry hair - both of which I have! It made it a big tangled mess that wasn't at all smooth or shiny when dried. Oh well. If you can get hold of a sample please do, because it seems to work for lots of other ladies and John Masters has really great ethics.

on 7/9/2009 7:33:00 PM

Went to Whole Foods looking for a no cones (dimethicone, silicone, etc.) conditioner. My hair feels great at first with cone type conditioners, but over time the ends feel like straw. I was using my beloved coconut oil, but you with the summer, it was making my hair too oily. It's difficult to measure out just the right amount of coconut oil each time. The sale assistant at Whole Foods turned me onto the John Masters Citrus & Neroli Detangler. I have very long hair--fine, but a lot of it. Everything I've been reading says to eliminate "cones" from your conditioner. I was skeptical, but after a few shampoos to get rid of the build-up, this condtioner is working wonders. Soft, healthy looking hair. I use this conditioner as a leave-in treatment. No reason to wash it down the drain especially since it's expensive ($20 or so) for a small bottle. Smells fruity. Wasn't greasy, but was easier to comb than I thought. I am a believer now. No cones for me, ever.

on 8/24/2009 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A truly great conditioner. So long as nose/skin not irritated by the scent. On straight-forward performance, the Detangler is a 5 lippie-er; bumped down by 1 for irritation. The formula is almost identical to the Rosemary & Peppermint Detangler--different essential oils, different scent--and both are very similar to the new (2011-05) JMO Bare Unscented Detangler. If you're irritated by the scent in the Citrus & Neroli, or would rather add your own scent to your conditioner, I'd highly recommend the Bare version.

Caveat: on this specific hair - basically normal, will swing towards dry ends/greasy roots if pushed by the wrong product. Fine but thick/dense. Wavy. Mid-back length. Untreated, and usually left to dry naturally.

Having said that: a great conditioner. Easy to use, and can be used as a rinse-out (left on the hair for a couple of minutes, whilst applying in-shower body moisturising oil), as a leave-in, and a dab added to the ends and underside if it's very hot and drying outside. Full of the sorts of goodies my hair seems to like: aloe vera, hydrolyzed protein, panthenol, a lot of oils (jojoba, coconut, sunflower, some borage and flax), plus chamomile, calendula, and horsetail. Decent balance between moisture and protein, which is a rare thing.

Bonus: it smells gorgeous. Citrus and neroli indeed.

Best of all: it works. Hair is detangled and moisturised. In good nick, and stays that way. Feels soft and nice, like hair in good form really. No itching to the scalp or to any surrounding skin. And I'm no longer washing my hair every day to cope with grease, nor doing so or adding more moisture between washes so as to cope with dryness. Indeed, now usually washing it every 2 to 3 days.

One caveat: using this exclusively did dry my hair out after several months - resolved by swapping over to another conditioner every couple of weeks for one wash, then back again (using up old Aveda Brilliant and Phyto 7 this way).

UPDATE [12/2009]: moved over to Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner: works as well as the C&N at its best, doesn't leave hair dry, and is 1/3 of the price. Plus has lovely nostalgic Revlon Flex Balsam smell.

UPDATE [09/2010]: tried it again for a while as a rinse-out, and as a leave-in mixed with other things; alas, skin went into eczematic mode, including over-reaction to many scented products, of this was one. No more lovely citrus and neroli for me. Though neroli oil is one of the few that's OK on my skin...

UPDATE [05/2011]: after using various other unfragranced conditioners, back to JMO and he Bare conditioner, which is the fragrance-free version of the Citrus & Neroli, Highly recommended.

The bad news is the price: CAD 22.00 / USD / EUR 20.00 for a 236 ml bottle. It's a lovely bottle, and not much conditioner is needed, but it is expensive.

Then again: it works, and smells lovely. I for one will pay good money for hair stuff that smells this good, having been seduced by Nexxus Phyto Organics and Aveda; I can never go back to nauseating fake-fruit-bubblegum, ambiguous plastication, and the like.

No animal testing, mostly vegetarian or even vegan products, using organically-grown plant-based ingredients as far as possible.

INGREDIENTS: Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, panthenol (vitamin B5), hydrolyzed soy protein, wheat amino acids, sorbitol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,* cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,* helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil,* lecithin, tocopherol, glycerin, citric acid, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil,* citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil,* citrus aurantium dulcis (neroli) flower oil,* canarium luzonicum (elemi) gum nonvolatiles,* cymbopogon shoenanthus (lemongrass) oil,* sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, arnica montana (arnica) flower extract,* camellia sinensis (white tea) leaf extract,* chamomilla recutica (chamomile) flower extract,* calendula officinalis (calendula) flower extract,* equisetum hiemale (horsetail) leaf/stem extract,* foeniculum vulgare (fennel) seed extract,* lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, linum usitatissimum (flaxseed) seed oil,* borago officinalis (borage) seed oil,* sodium hyaluronate (hyaluronic acid), sulfur
*Certified Organic by EcoCert / QAI
John Masters Organics ingredients and products are never tested on animals. continued >>

on 10/22/2009 6:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My hair: fine strands, but thick in quantity. Straight, mid-length. Coloured every couple of months, washed every two to three days, blow-dried three times a week, briefly flat-ironed a couple of times a week (for cow's lick/double crown control rather than actual straightness). Sensitive scalp, prone to dermatitis. My hair is in good condition but "sensitised" by processing and is also responsive to life stuff - ill health and prescription medication.

I've been using this product on and off for over a year and have attempted to review it before, but my opinion on it has oscillated during that time and I found it tricky to pin down. It's an aesthetically pleasing and cosmetically elegant conditioner - lightweight, with an almost gel-like texture (thanks, I guess, to the aloe vera gel base) and a beautiful fragrance which alone makes it incredibly pleasant and uplifting to use. Its excellent slip makes it easy to spread and distribute. Although many botanical ingredients irritate my skin and scalp, I haven't noticed any adverse reactions to this. So far so good.

However, once the happy shower experience is over, I've had varying results. Initially, I was hoping for a "where have you been all my life?" moment with this conditioner. I was disappointed. I first used it when my hair was going through a very rare damaged, brittle phase following a colour error/colour stripper/re-colouring incident at the salon. I needed a light conditioner that performed more like an intensive one for regular use that contained some protein. This didn't fulfil its potential on any of those fronts, left a greasy residue and managed to tangle my normally tangle-resistant hair. I tried it again six months or so later when my hair was no longer damaged but was drier through the lengths/ends. This time round I found that as an occasional treatment it works nicely to moisturise and reinforce - plus gives a nice shine, pretty smell etc. On the other hand regular use provides more protein than my hair needs, dries it out and renders it dull, since the rest of the ingredients aren't sufficiently moisturising to combat the effects of the protein. As a leave-in it makes my fine, straight hair strangely wavy and flyaway. I can envisage this working well for people with coarse and/or damaged hair, and as a good leave-in for waves or curls, in addition to another conditioner that offers more hardcore moisture. I'm giving this lippies for its consistency and wonderful scent, for the effects it does give (however occasionally) and because I support the ethos of the brand. I'm not sure I'd repurchase - although I like having it to hand, the UK price is a lot for me to invest in something that doesn't outperform all its rivals. If you can get a sample, I urge you to try this, and a trial/travel size is also available. Ingredients can be accessed by clicking the box next to the product specifics.

UK details: 15.69/236ml (8oz) or 4.25/59ml (approx 2oz), lovelula.com. The 236ml bottle is also available at larger Debenhams branches and feelunique.com (free Euro shipping).

Soo glad a friend of mine who is also obsessed with all natural hair care recommended this as a conditioner as honestly I would have never thought to buy it since I thought it was a leave-in. I already love John Masters products and use many of them for my skincare which I have switched to only natural items as well. This conditioner isn't the typical heavy mask (gel cream like consistancy) I am used to but honestly I just love all the amazing ingredients and really feel it over time does soo much for your scalp and hair. I use this with my Enjoy SLS Free Hydrating Shampoo and my hair is in amazing shape. I also love that this is so slim and great for travel and can double as a leave-in cream if I need to. Also smells amazing and really is worth the price and will last as long as you don't go crazy using half the bottle trying to get this to be a deep conditioning mask as yes it's super light but I jsut alternate between this and my HG Macadamia Nut Oil Deep Repair Masque throughout the week. I have tried so many different natural shampoos and conditioners and it is definitely not easy finding something natural that also delivers results, but this Conditioner is definitely one of the best. WIll never go back to using chemicals/silicones on my face or hair again! :)

on 1/25/2011 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This conditioner smells great and feels really smooth. I really wanted to like it, but even thou it does detangle my color treated, long, thick hair, it also leaves it greasy and heavy. I really can't use this at all.