4.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

Saved a balayage gone wrong. I went to a very reputable salon for natural-looking balayage highlights, I was left with an ombré look. Thank God I knew about this conditioner. I put it on evenly, covered with Saran Wrap, wrapped with a towel and let the product sit for 45 minutes. It allowed the colors to blend and toned down the ombré effect.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

3.0

3 years ago

Its a nice tint with a good smell if that's what you're after. Doesn't do much as a conditioner, and will leave your shower, tub and fixtures a mess. The smell is awesome as with all aveda products, the price is not - as with all aveda products!! I actually tried to return it to my local salon at one point haha! the staining effect is so temporary, it washes out immediately. For the price, you are probably better off getting a semi-permenant colour treatment at your local aveda salon and then using a nice colour-safe conditioner as your conditioner.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

3 years ago

I thought I'd better write this review as a cautionary tale. Recently, I went from over-highlighted blonde with some grey roots to a really pretty neutral light brown base with neutral medium blonde highlights away from the roots, (balayage) never one to leave anything alone, I thought I'd try this color conditioner to sort of gloss things up between visits. And here's what happened.... Brunette. All over. Three minutes in the shower after shampooing. I then applied my own conditioner and rinsed. It's potent enough to temporarily stain the hands as well. The color was actually very pretty-but the highlights vanished. I washed it twice this morning, and it's washing out, though still holding in there. If you any of you ombré or highlighted girls get a hankering to try this, you have been warned. No sticking to grays either, but that's ok. I can see how this could really brighten up a brunette, but I really hope I don't have to make any confessions to my stylist. I will update when it washes out.

About reviewer (137 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Olive, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

2.0

4 years ago

I have been a long time Aveda user (7 years) and have always used the Clove series for brunettes. I started to look into the ingredients listed on the bottle and about fell out when I learned what I had been putting on my scalp for the last 7 years. It contains Basic Brown, Yellow, Blue, and Red which have all been linked to cancer. I was always under the assumption that Aveda was "Plant Based" and contained organic ingredients. I was furious to find out I had been tricked by marketing schemes. Unfortunately I just purchased a brand new bottle of both the shampoo and conditioner. I will never use Aveda again which is sad because I love that I can use a conditioner that helps to conserve my color.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

4 years ago

I purchased this conditioner a while back to use on my medium brown, henna'd hair if I want to tone the reddish cast down a little bit. About a tsp amount worked through my APL hair is all I need. While showering I let it sit, then I rinse thoroughly. It makes it look a little more brown, very subtle effect. It's not that great for its conditioning properties, though, so I only use this a couple of times a week, or I use a more moisturizing conditioner afterwards. It's on the expensive side, but since I don't use it that often, a tube lasts me a while. The scent is herbal, but I can't smell it after my hair is dry.

About reviewer (255 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

4 years ago

After reading rave reviews about this product I thought I'd give it a go. I had tried the shampoo and conditioner from the Dry Remedy range before and didn't really like them (especially considering the price) but I was interested in the colour deposit this conditioner supposedly has. I brushed my hair, then wet and gently shampoo'ed (with minimal lathering and tangling). I then towel dried my hair and applied this. Because I'd read it is drying I applied a normal conditioner to the ends of my hair first, then applied this to the roots and mid lengths. I also have much darker ends than roots and mid lengths and was just trying to minimise the difference as I no longer want to colour my hair - or at least not colour it for as long as possible. I planned to leave this on for 20-30 minutes but got sidetracked and left it on for over an hour. I was really worried it would be super dark but to my surprise once I rinsed it my hair isn't overly noticeably darker but it's blended the beginnings of my first grey hairs and given it a nice warm chestnut type colour - quite similar to what I already had but ever so slightly darker. This smells very strong of lavender which is a strange essential oil to add as it's drying, but my guess is it's the only oil that would have covered the clove smell? I'll use this twice a week inbetween standard shampoo and conditioner and when it runs out I think I'll try the Black Malva as this one is just a bit too light for me. This didn't stain my shower or tiles and I have a white shower, but it did stain my hands and under my fingernails, so wear gloves!

About reviewer (97 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

5 years ago

Brunettes, rejoice! I went from blonde ombré to an all over rich chocolate brown and I have been struggling with how to keep my color as long as I can in between appointments. What I love about the Clove conditioner is that it deposits a little bit of color back to my hair. I let it sit for a few minutes while I wash my face and body and rinse it out after. Now because it's a color depositing conditioner, I like to switch it up twice a week with a rich moisturizing conditioner, like Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Conditioner (I'll post a review soon!) so I can reap the benefits of repairing color damaged hair. Anyway, I dyed my hair about 6 weeks ago and the color still looks freshly done. Oh yeah - Clove smells amazing as all things Aveda smell sooooo good! As long as I'm a brunette, I'll be keeping this gem in my shower. The only con is the price. $30+ for conditioner makes the wallet sad. Still, I gave it 5 lippies for performance.

About reviewer (109 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

3.0

5 years ago

It certainly colored my hair, and the color was beautiful. It also added some fantastic body. But over time it dried out my hair really bad (needed a trim after just a month).. But thats business as usual for a conditioner that contains silicone. I actually didnt even think to look at the ingredients (I can be lazy like that) because I thought for sure I could trust Aveda not to use cones. Big disappointment to learn later that I was so mistaken, but it taught me an important lesson: That no matter how expensive the product, or "natural" a company may purport itself to be it will still use shortcuts to make it seem more nourishing than it really is (silicones). Another star off for fragrance. Aveda is not nearly as "organic-y" as they claim, and so why all the silly, and really bad "herbal" fragrances? There are plenty of wonderful smelling essential oils that ARE fully plant derived, but they choose to use frags that are like smelling dirt, purely for effect, I suspect. I respect anyone who likes Aveda frags. They just arent for me, but luckily I dont find them to be loud, but they do stay in your hair for a long time. Just imagine if they smelled like honey, or jasmine instead, though? I may still purchase this one every once in a while in winter to give my hair a deeper brunette "glow", but I cant fool myself into thinking I could use this daily and still have healthy hair. Your hair my react better to silicones than mine does... My hair is extremely fine and it just cannot handle the intense eventual drying that occurs when using silicones regularly. Bummer.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

2.0

5 years ago

This was a disappointing purchase, and very expensive for so little product. First off it does not cover greys. It does say on the bottle not suitable for grey or blonde hair, but after reading so many reviews that said it blended away greys, I wanted to try it out as I'm fed up with expensive salon visits and my greys are starting to be more noticeable after only a couple of weeks. I have light brown hair which I dye a darker shade of brown and I purchased the clove conditioner for it's colour enriching properties (I also bought the clove shampoo). The first time I used it I left it on for about 5 mins, washed off and saw zero difference. So the second time I made sure I applied it carefully - with gloves, as it can easily stain hands - and thoroughly covering my re-growth, massaging it in, then combing it through to the ends. I left it on for 30mins in total. After rinsing and drying I found it had enrichened the coloured ends of my hair - it was noticeably darker and looked like I had the colour refreshed at the salon, almost. But I could see straight away that the roots were the same as before the application. So disappointing! Don't waste your money on this if you are hoping to hide your roots. As a conditioner it is useless as I had to apply my regular conditioner after using the clove conditioner since it is quite drying and left my hair tangled.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Curly, Medium

EyesBlue

1.0

5 years ago

This conditioner was truely awful for my coloured medium brown hair. I left it on for around 5 mins as suggested on the back of the tube, thinking it would be a good way to keep my hair coloured without the need to resort to dyes. Well sadly it didnt work out for me! It left my hair sooooo dry, matted and frizzy! I had to condition my hair like crazy afterwards to try and restore it back to normality. It did deposit some colour, but it wasnt very nice, much like an ashy dull brown (my hair is quite a warm golden brown) and I couldnt wait for it to wash out! This is my only experience with the Aveda brand so I cant comment on the rest of their ranges, but after this I dont think i will be trying anything else considering the expense!

About reviewer (198 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm