4.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

This product saved my hair from disastrous breakage. I have fine thin wavy hair (type 2A). Salon coloured, no heat styling, no sulphates, etc. My hair was pretty happy until I waited too long between colour sessions, and we needed to lighten up sections to soften the line between old and new growth. (Note: Elumen is beyond permanent.) The colour update looked great, but all the lightened sections got SO fragile and dry. Leave-ins and deep conditioners did almost nothing. A mass breakage event was NOT part of my plan. Nutrafix was recommended by a stylist friend, and WOW it's been a game-changer. Every 2 weeks, I apply this treatment, middle to ends, and wrap everything into a hair towel. 10-20 minutes later, rinse it out, apply a deep conditioner, wait, rinse, and let hair air-dry. Now my hair looks and feels much stronger, and the natural waves are more noticeable. TLDR; If you fried your fine thin hair with chemicals, this treatment (plus your fave conditioner) might be the cure.

About reviewer (96 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

3 years ago

A great way to treat your hair every now and then!! I do like to use it on days when I am taking one of my longer, more indulgent baths when I run a generous amount of this through my hair, put it up on a bun and wrap it with a hot steam towel, and let it sit as long as possible while I exfoliate my body or just relax in the tub. It really leaves my skin softer, silkier, and healthier. Hair treatment for life! Get $10 off your purchase from iherb using code YEW608, where I always buy mine from.

About reviewer (97 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

4 years ago

This is my HG deep conditioner. I love it! I have long natural light golden blonde hair with a bit of highlights that is prone to breaking and splitting. I use this once a week and it makes my hair feel fluffier, healthier and my blonde looks more light and vibrant. I use it with Giovanni shampoo and there is no need for additional conditioner after this treatment. Smells great too! Love that it is all natural and no nasty chemicals or silicones. The price is good for the quality and amount.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

3.0

6 years ago

I actually haven't tried this product yet, so my current rating is just a placeholder. (I plan to use the product tomorrow night.) While I normally don't write a review before using the product, after reading some of the reviews here I think there may be confusion about what this product is supposed to do. Reconstructors are NOT meant to moisturize your hair, even though the product may claim otherwise. Instead, they're supposed to strongly bond a whole lotta protein to your hair. (Any protein treatment will eventually wash out, but a reconstructor should last at least a month or so.) While protein helps support moisturization, the massive amounts found in reconstructors tend to dry hair out. For most people, using a moisturizing deep conditioner immediately after the protein treatment will fix things. Those with fine or very damaged hair may not even need the moisturizing step: often, their hair loves all the protein it can get. But some people -- especially those whose hair is coarse (has thick strands) and undamaged -- experience protein build-up. They just don't need that much protein, so reconstructors leave their hair brittle and straw-like even after moisturizing. If that happens to you, it's best to avoid this type of treatment. Some people's hair is so "sensitive" to protein that they need to avoid protein products altogether. If Nutrafix isn't quite what you're looking for: If you want a deep conditioner that has some protein but is focused on moisturizing, I recomend Aubrey Organics GPB Balancing Protein Conditioner. If you want the strongest reconstructor out there, look no further than Aphogee 2-Step. It's messy, smelly, and tricky to use, but you'll find extensive how-to's in the reviews on this site. To increase the protein content of an existing hair product, add Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (sold at Sally Beauty). To make your own super-cheap protein treatment, I suggest googling the Science-y Hair Blog's gelatin protein treatment. The blog also has detailed information about the different types of protein found in hair products, and their effects.

About reviewer (87 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Curly, Fine

2.0

7 years ago

Meh. As a reconstructor, it should mend your hair, strengthen, make curls pop, leave it softer, prep/repair from heat styling, etc. i didn't feel this conditioner did any of this. I would use it again but only as a regular conditioner. I do like Giovanni's Deeper moisture and 50/50 balanced conditioner, but to me this wasn't too far of a throw from either of those formulas. I am comparing this to reconstructive treatments that work well consistently on healthy hair: Aubrey Organics GBP, Nexxuss Emergencee, PHYTO Phytospecific Vital Force. For reference hair is Type 4 kinky curly healthy dense fine soft long fresh smelling and bouncy. :)

About reviewer (315 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairOther, Other, Fine

7 years ago

This stuff saved my hair. I ruined them by using cheap drugstore stuff and it just looked like dry straw...forget about the shine or combing through easily. This reconstructor has no scent, is thick and filled with proteins, it is amazing for weak, dry and damaged hair. After the first time I used it, my hair looked 100 times better and it actually continues improving until now, and I'm on my second tube. Before I was afraid to even color my hair once in 6 months, so weak they were. Now they went through 3 colorings and one Brazilian blowout (I'm European, white, just in case) in just 2.5 months, and still look really good. I apply in after Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo for at least 10 minutes and follow by the conditioner from the same line. It is a reconstructor and is not supposed to detangle or moisturize your hair perfectly, it RECONSTRUCTS.

About reviewer (49 reviews)

SkinNormal, Tan, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesHazel

7 years ago

so far, so good. i was in a hair rut: my fine hair was soooo dry & the ends were fried from coloring/heat styling. i got into a destructive pattern of overconditioning to soften, drowning and flattening my curls in the process. the first move i made in my hair product overhaul was to buy Giovanni Nutrafix for protein. i applied a mixture of the Nutrafix & Fairy Tales Energizing Leave-In Conditioner (the latter has turned out to be way too heavy for my hair as a leave-in) to wet hair & left it on overnight. when i rinsed it out the next morning -- WOW!! my hair was soft, shiny, springy, my split ends were completely smooth, and i had a great hair day!! figured out that i don't get the same results when i don't mix or immediately follow the Nutrafix with some kind of moisture, and i prefer the mix option because it saves me a step. i may try other protein treatments in the future, but honestly, the price point of this one is very attractive (i think i paid $5.99 at Ulta) as is the fact that it doesn't have any garbage like mineral oil or silicones in it. i tried ApHogee a few times years ago & i can't see myself doing it ever again - that's a very time consuming & intense process!

About reviewer (174 reviews)

SkinDry, Olive

HairBrunette

7 years ago

I'm a natural haired biracial girl and my nightmare has been my frenemy for years. I always dreamed of untangling this mess, making it look pretty and I wasted my time and money relaxing my hair and getting very unhealthy scalp. Then I turned to natural, and though my journey still isn't over, I enjoy my hair more now. This is partly due to this product. This product untangles my hair in a sec, deeply repairs it and nourishes my hair very well. I used to use before the Motions Protein Reconstructor but that contained way too many chemicals, this one is natural and full of essential oils. So all good for the hair. Try it, it's natural, it's cheap and it lasts! Who could ask for anything more? Get 5$ (below total amount of 40$) to 10$ (when you reach 40$) off your first Iherb.com order with code EME922.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Tan, Warm

HairBlack, Curly, Medium

7 years ago

A HG product for me--I have it on Subscribe and Save on my Amazon account (10% off or so for a pack of 3, which usually comes out to under $20). I'm growing out some really damaged (read: bleached) hair that's now only an inch or so at the ends, and the rest of my hair is virgin (born again? Ha!). I use this reconstructor to "cut" my regular conditioner, so I end up using it several times a week on my ends and maybe once a week on my whole head. When I only use it on the ends, I use a regular conditioner on the rest of my hair and then sort of massage it all together. I love that this product has no 'cones and a very mild smell (if any at all). Perfect for someone with fine hair (no weighing down) and a sensitive olfactory system. Love!

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

2.0

8 years ago

Did not do much. It did not reconstruct nor provide much mositurization. Felt like very light conditioner.

About reviewer (184 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure