Obagi Clear

Obagi  Clear
Clear

4.2

Each gram of Obagi NuDerm Clear contains Hydroquinone USP 4 (40 mg/gm) in a base of purified water, cetyl alcohol, glycerine, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, tocopheryl acetate, ascorbic acid, sodium metabisulfite, lactic acid, saponins, sodium EDTA, methyl paraben, BHT, propryl paraben, butyl paraben.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Obagi Clear is a lotion containing 4% hydroquinone, a skin lightening agent. Hydroquinone with tretinoin is considered the gold standard for fading dark spots and melasma--it's the dream team for sun damage--and penetration will be enhanced by using an AHA lotion too, also part of obagi's line up. It's undoubtedly effective and don't worry, it's considered completely safe when used under proper medical supervision. The issue I have with all obagi is the price--generic hydroquinone would be just as effective, but our derms and estheticians would get a smaller cut. And as this ingredient is prescription only in Europe, they have us over a barrel :/

on 1/13/2017 9:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using Obagi on and off for a few year; I find myself going back to it to smooth, tone and clarify my skin. I've done the expensive laser treatments for toning/age spots and find following up with continued use of this product gives the best lasting results. My skin tone evens out and last as ling as I use it. When I stop the spots gradually come back regardless of laser or product use. I haven't tried an intensive chemical peal... yet.

This stuff is amazing. Totally gets rid of any age spots, discoloration or acne stars

on 7/20/2015 3:39:00 AM

I've had a long history of whiteheads ( closed comedones) - ever since I was 17 I could remember squeezing them and my mom commenting on me having ''bumpy skin''. My acne had always been moderate - it's the damn whiteheads that kills my skin texture.

First 2x I used it by itself & had to stop because it seemed to aggravate my whiteheads on top of causing flakes and irritation. It was almost like whiteheads were trying to burst through that intense layer of flakiness and failed, so instead sat there collecting. ugh.

The only difference I could think of is that this time around I used retin a in conjunction w obagi clear. I'm happy to report for the 1st time in so many years I touch my skin and it feels smoooooth. The whiteheads are 90% gone.

Now my face still flakes up & looks pinkish without makeup - but the flakes have progressed from scaly to big, soft, moth-wing pieces ( dunno if it's weird to say I now admire my flakes but...coming from faux-croc flakey...they are now so sheer and piecey and fluffy! like peeling the membrane off an egg!). It took me 2 full months. Hang in there.

**I've noticed that on my sensitive days skipping the exfoderm after clear have stopped my irritation. Exfoderm makes me extremely itchy.

-----------------------------------------
Side Note on Flakes:

Products that have proved helpful along the way:

1) Makeup artists choice Mandelic toner & serum - although i suspect any type of aha would do. Seemed to helped speed up flaking quite a lot. Keeps zits in check. Could be intense but skin gets used to it after a while. I use it when I'm not using Vitamin C serum.

2) Clarisonic. I didn't introduce it to my regime till after my face has adapted to the retin a/ obagi clear somewhat. Intially I tried to use it to clean off flakes, and it irritated my face.

3) Avene Cicalfate: I've tried both Cicalfate & Cicaplast - Cicalplast burned my face. To be fair when i tried cicalplast my skin was already burning from trying out a new sunscreen - anyhow it made things worse. Cicalfate has less convenient metal tube packaging but worked better for me.)

4) Noxema. Tingles, but doesn't burn. Even better, it helped remove the flakes! I leave it on for half an hour then wash it off.

5) Those cheap exfoliating cotton pads that sell for $3/bag at target. Use them right after Noxema - work miracles in wiping off the flakes.

6) Avene Light hydrating sunscreen spf 50 - not too great under makeup, but by far the most gentle, tolerable sunblock for sensitive skin.

* Random products I've tried that were easily tolerated:

Aveeno foaming face wash, CeraVe foaming gel cleanser, Sekkisei herbal mask( as an aftersun treatment), Korres wild rose mask, Kiehl's avocado eye cream ( helped dry eyes), pretty much all essential oils and oil cleansers ( I only tried them - didn't use them as I was afraid too much oil should slow down peeling...)

* Random popular products I've tried that seriously hurts:

CeraVe moisturizing lotion ( burns); Obagi Pro-C Suncare SPF 30 (yellow cap bottle) - Hurts and itches; also works terrible under concealer even when I was not on Obagi clear; La Roche-Posay spf 46(? the best seller one) - Hurts and itches; Origins active charcoal mask

Pretty random list, but hope this helps someone.

on 4/19/2015 9:36:00 AM

This stuff is awesome.I use it with tret, obagi 20% c serum, and obagi cexfoliating day lotion.Powerful line up!Since you start peeling right away my derm said to use vaseline every couple of sdays to allow the skin to heal. the price is crazy but think about all the crap we use that does nothing to fight aging.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is great and lightens faster than Control Corrective's and Clinique's skin brighteners. Be careful to only use it on dark spots or scars.

on 11/25/2013 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have extremely oily acne prone skin. I am a medium brown African American woman. I can honestly say I have tried and used everything under the sun. My esthetician recommended the Obagi clear along with another tretonin product I am using combined with montly skin peels. Its been 2 months of peels, and about 3 weeks using the Obagi. My skin looks really good. Its not quite flawless but it is getting very close. Its hard to say that the evenness and lightening that I am seeing is solely devoted to the Obagi, since I am using that along with the Tretonin product and the chemical peels. But the obagi seems to be speeding up the process. I have terribly ugly and noticeable scarring from cystic acne that seems to scar whether or not I touch my face. My skin is blemish prone and I have marks all over my face and body from acne breakout. The Obagi has made a major difference in my skin tone. The right side of my face literally has about 20 marks on it, and those marks are so much lighter now. When I wear makeup I dont need concealer anymore; the foundation and powder give me enough coverage. That is a rarity! This product is not cheap but IMO its worth the expense, especially for those of us who wear make up often, struggle with bad skin and marks or uneven skin tone. As a 30 something year old woman, I dont want to look like I have a teenager's hormonal acne face. I will be using this product daily. This is a must have. No complaints at all.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Awful customer service for such a high end product!

Don't think you will get help if you had an issue with their product!

I like many other users have suffered permanent burns to my face due to the system I was prescribed. I even contacted their head office and do you know not one person contacted me. I also had a user on makeup alley message me and we both found out that we tried to post to their blog but the mediator takes all ' negative ' stories down- it doesn't even make it to posting. Buyer beware. If you purchase ensure you get a validation that after 2 to 6 months you can return for fill reimbursement. Since they say you have yo wait out the term of the system then they should support when you do it over a long period and you see that the healing it promised ( clear ) is scarring that keeps getting worse! My email is csammie@ hotmail. Com if you want to see my before and afters. I had better skin before!

on 8/8/2013 7:41:00 PM

Seriously burnt- do not purchase !!!!

Was prescribed system

Followed prescription after being shown by medical practitioner at clinic

Camouflage concealer does not even cover the scars I have been left with

I can show photos of the condition
My face had been left with

on 3/23/2013 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love the reviews here on Makeup Alley. It's nice to know there's other women out there who LOVE skin care like I do. I have melasma on my cheeks which has been treatment resistant for 15 years. It's been really distressing because it makes me look older and feel bad about my face. As a light skinned black women laser and micro-abrasion can lend awful results. I have tried EVERYTHING - including a dermatologist prescription for Triluma (which faded it by 30%) - plus expensive and inexpensive lightening creams to no avail. However I continued with a good Sun screen/block 35 or higher and did my best to cover with Dermablend. On March 1st I started Obagi Clear in am and pm on melasma only and Obagi Tretinoin .05% all over face at night only. 22 days later my melasma has faded by 60%!!!! I am now using Tarte tinted primer (without Dermablend) and you can't see the melasma at all and my face looks 20 years younger all over as well. Lastly, the product description states that Obagi Clear targets the melasma and not the surrounding skin - well I was more then skeptical (like that would truly be a miracle, right?!) But it's true! Somehow due to the product delivery system it's lightening my melasma and very little of the surrounding skin unlike Triluma where I had that distinct light circle coloring outline to my skin. Wow! I just purchased the Obagi Blender and Obagi RX C serum to maximize and continue my transformation. I'm more then happy with the results! Everyone telling me how pretty I look is music to my ears. I was surprised that I could buy the genuine article online and without a prescription at Skinheaven.com at a discount plus they give reward points for discounts on my next purchase. Also as far as layering of product my research suggested that in am wash with mild soap, tone for ph balance, apply Obagi Clear with Q-tip to melasma, wait a few minutes to dry, apply 1/2 teaspoon of sunscreen (at least 20 minutes before Sun exposure - I'm using Neutregena 70) and then add any serem, moisturizers, eye cream, primers and makeup in that order. At night I remove eye makeup, use the same mild face wash, same toner, apply eye cream while face dries, use a pea size amount of Tretinoin all over face, avoiding eyes and corners of nose and mouth and then apply Obagi Clear with Q-tip to melasma. Lastly I add moisturizer over face except the melasma area. DON'T USE SERUMS or VITAMIN C OR E AT NIGHT WITH THIS ROUTINE. Once I get the Obagi RX C serum I'll add that to my am routine as the very first thing I use after toning. I'll use the blender at night since it works with the Tretinoin best and the clear in am.