3.9

$64.00 on Sephora
Shop Now

Reviews

a month ago

I was able to grab a mini version of this powder, as well as a mini of the Hourglass veil primer for a good deal on Ebay. This is very nice! I can't say I see anything super special compared to other loose powders, but I don't normally need to set my face with powder until later in the day when I get oily, as my skin tends to lean on the dry side when I wear foundation. This does absorb beautifully, doesn't look cakey, (I don't need much) and it also doesn't settle into my large creases or look too ghostly/white (as other "translucent" claiming powders tend to do). I don't think this oil controls, but I don't rely on a setting powder to do that. My only gripe is that I wish it came in a pressed version, as I HATE loose powders. They get everywhere, are messy, can apply in clumps on your brush, etc.. so that's why I rated the packaging lower. I would repurchase, but probably as another mini size, as powders seem to last forever and this is pricey for a loose powder (and if you don't prefer loose powder, it's a pricey pain in the butt). I am thinking of trying one of the NYX banana pressed powders -- cheaper, and I'd love the yellow undertone but they have some nasty reviews!

About reviewer (433 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

6 months ago

This is my HG under eye setting powder. It is does not emphasis my aging under eye area. It is so finely milled and light on the skin - it looks like nothing which I personally love. Now that I am almost 33 I have found that I can't just put any random setting/finishing powder under my eyes and i fiznally found this one that works after much trial and error (tried stellar's haze loose powder and cover fx loose perfect setting powder but they emphasized texture under my eyes too much for my liking). Many thanks to those on the makeupalley makeup board who recommended this veil to me!!! I have 30 something combination-oily skin that is somewhat sensitive and prone to dehydration.

About reviewer (39 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

6 months ago

I really enjoy this powder. It has a very soft and fine texture. It sets and mattifies my makeup but never looks heavy, cakey or dry on the face. I don’t need to use a lot either, and it blends very well. I apply this product with a big fluffy brush and get the best result this way. It is quite expensive and I do believe that you could get an equally good powder at a much lower price. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that this powder is lovely. I would definitely recommend it.

About reviewer (733 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

7 months ago

i can see why so many people would like this powder. it does have a nice radiant effect so its probably great for people with dry skin who dont want something too mattifying. however, it hardly did anything for oil control for me. Also, the powder claims to be blurring, however I find it to be ok in terms of its texture on skin. its not cakey or dry or powdery, but i think it makes your foundation look more like foundation, like it makes it not look traceless, if u get what i mean. it kind of alters the way my foundation looks, not in terms of its colour, but just the way it looks overall. if you have dry skin and are willing to spend so much on powder, it might be worth a try, but for oily skin people, maybe not.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Fair

HairBrunette

from

8 months ago

I’m obsessed with this. I’ve tried so many translucent powders - Laura mercier, Kat von d lock-it, fenty beauty etc. they were all too drying on me (I have very dry skin) and made me look old and tired. This powder is a game changer. It sets my makeup all day but isn’t drying so my makeup looks flawless without drying my skin out. I do have to say it doesn’t do a lot to control oil (which I don’t have a problem with) so if you’re looking for that I don’t thing hg mineral veil will help much with oil control. If you have dry skin like me I highly recommend. I don’t even have to touch up once throughout the day.

About reviewer (37 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

9 months ago

This is beautifully packaged, and I had heard so many good things about this that I saved my pennies and made the splurge. However, I am so disappointed! I feel when you first put it on your face, it does illuminate and blur and give you a gorgeous finish and I'm really happy when I leave the house. However I've noticed that an hour or so later, I check my concealer and foundation and they've separated, it looks so dry and cakey and just a mess. I have dry to normal skin, so I'm really surprised that the product is separating as if it's oily, with other products I know definitely work for me. I wanted to love this, but feel the Laura Mercer translucent powder or even the L'Oreal Magic Powder (blue) is better than this. Save your money or buy the travel sized to test first if you're tempted. I would be more inclined to buy one of their Ambient Lighting pressed powders.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Kinky, Fine

2.0

10 months ago

I'm always looking for a powder that can do it all - control oil, brighten, and blur lines and pores. A lot to ask, I know! I was convinced this one would deliver but it fell short for me. First, its ability to control oil was pretty nonexistent. My skin was oily after about an hour after using this powder. Other powders give at least a couple of hours! As for blurring/brightening, it actually accentuated pores in some parts of my face. In several drier areas it also sat on top of my skin, leaving a slightly white cast. So this is definitely not a winner for me.

About reviewer (137 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

from

10 months ago

I finally bought the mini size after being recommended this so many times by other people. I am very impressed with it and I don’t think I have ever felt that way about a powder. I have tried a lot of powders that people recommend but I’ve never liked a single one (Laura mercier, Bare minerals veil, coty airspun, one from Pacifica, makeup forever hd). They all left me dry and by the end of the day they cake up offensively and accentuate any pimples on my skin. They also settle in every possible line and make me look at least 10 years older. I gave up using powder except for the ambient light also from hourglass. I liked the ambient light but I didn’t love it at all (and still don’t get the hype). It didn’t really set my makeup and my makeup would be gone by lunch (I now realize it is not a setting powder in the first place but a finishing powder). But my ambient light got stolen so instead I just gave up on powder. It must have been a sign powder wasn’t for me. But this powder is not at all like any powder I’ve tried before. It is actually invisible and not just a claim of invisibility that in actuality leaves you looking powdery and cakey until you use a setting spray. I also had my setting spray stolen in the same incident as my ambient light, but with this powder I don’t need a spray for it too look ok. It tones done my shine from my foundation and keeps it on much longer. I have oily acne prone skin but it’s very dehydrated. This powder doesn’t dry me out more, which is really common with the other powders. Even with oily skin the other powders made me look so dry and clung to every flake or acne spot. I wouldn’t say it is hydrating on its own but it would still work with dry skin. Not sure how it compares to the byterry hylauronic powder but I’m very curious if they are similar. It doesn’t necessarily make my makeup wear time drastically better but it does last significantly longer than if I had no powder at all. I’m sure more drying powders have longer lasting time but I don’t mind powdering at lunch if needed. Especially if that is the cost of skin that doesn’t look dry as s***. The mini size is great for me because I always have my makeup in a makeup bag to go when I stay at my boyfriends and I don’t have to worry about the big container of the regular size one. You need so little it’ll still last a long time. If you travel a lot I would get the mini. If it stays on your vanity and you want a very good staple powder swing for the full size and keep it on display. Hourglass always looks so luxe and modern and is a nice touch to any place.

About reviewer (44 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

a year ago

This packaging is amazing, I love all of the little details that make this powder a pleasure to use and work with. However! It has noticeable shimmer running through it. Now, don't get me wrong being a magpie with dry skin, I do love me some sparkle. But this is borderline chunky. I do see how specks of "diamond powder" sit on top of my skin and that is not the look I am going for on a daily basis. I love the brand's Ambient line; shade like Dim Light is honestly the best pressed/baked powder for people with dry skin. While this Veil powder blurs out my skin, it also accentuates dryness. Which is another downside. Ah, I wish I would love it, but now that I am stuck with it - I will save it for special events only. If you don't mind a bit of shimmer, you might actually enjoy it. I speak more about this and other bestselling powders in a separate review here (https://www.nayatilly.com/single-post/2019/03/18/Testing-Bestselling-Powders-Concealers). Hope it helps!

About reviewer (553 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Other, Other

a year ago

If you have really dry skin and have struggled to find a good loose powder, you really should try this out. You can get it in a mini size at Sephora for around $18, so I suggest that before splurging on the full-size product. I was using Chantecaille loose powder for several years and really liked it, but suddenly this year as my dry winter skin set in, I couldn't use the Chantecaille anymore as it made my face bone dry and even made it feel itchy and uncomfortable. The Hourglass Veil goes on like a dream. It sets makeup beautifully and NEVER left me with a dry feeling. It also made my skin look super smooth. I am very impressed. Now, the reason I wouldn't buy it again is because I don't like the way this powder makes my face look when I'm outdoors after I've had it on several hours. When outdoors, it sort of has a very faintly pearlescent finish that I don't care for. That's just me. I know a lot of people like pearlescent and glowy stuff. Still, I would definitely use this for an indoor event. This is a very nice powder, but I like Laura Mercier translucent better. That one lets me be radiant and have comfortable skin, no matter if I'm indoors or out.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

Age56 & Over