Tarte Cosmetics Knockout Tingling Toner Treatment

Tarte Cosmetics Knockout Tingling Toner Treatment

3.7

Water, niacinamide, lactic acid, citric acid, propanediol, glycerin, gluconolactone, malic acid, phytic acid, salicylic acid, sodium benzoate, magnesium chloride, acetic acid, potassium sorbate, allium cepa (onion) bulb extract, calcium gluconate, cochlearia armoracia (horseradish) root extract, commiphora myrrha resin extract, myrtus communis extract, rumex acetosa leaf extract, thymus vulgaris (thyme) flower/leaf extract, calcium chloride, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sulfur.pH 3.3 (beatypedia.com)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Preface about my skin: Acids have been a longstanding staple in my skincare routine to combat acne, refine pores, even out skin tone and prevent signs of aging - the vast majority have been good to great, but nothing was ever a one and done product that dealt with all my concerns. I've always had to mix and match. I was very curious to try this out when I heard it was very similar to Biologique Recherche's legendary Lotion P50 and saw that it had lactic and salicylic acids along with malic, citric, and phytic acids. I live in a humid climate and during the summers end up dealing with fungal acne/malassezia along my jawline that wasn't budging with regular use of Drunk Elephant's TLC Framboos serum's mix of glycolic and salicylic acid.

Thus far, with a few weeks of use, this is my favorite acid product I've used - its slowly clearing the stubborn fungal acne and has been fantastic in a cystic pimple, taking it from painful and swelling to shrinking and painless in two days, and has made my prominent sebaceous filaments on my chin much less noticeable. Skin also keeps the just exfoliated softness into the next day. Any purging I've had has been very limited to a few small, non-inflamed whiteheads. I was expecting it to be good due to other reviews, but since Tarte has only begun expanding into skincare I wasn't expecting something that was holy grail status. I will update in a few months to see if I continue to have such good results. The $39 for 150 mL price tag also feels fair - per mL this is a little more expensive than Paula's Choice liquid BHA or Glossier's The Solution. The Biologique Recherche would run about $67 or so for 150 mL, a definite winner in that comparison.

Packaging is simple, but sturdy, opaque plastic and the lid closes tightly. Simple, but has what it needs to keep the product from light exposure.

I have not used P50, so I cannot make a direct comparison to if this is a dupe or not, but I will say this did not smell anywhere near as bad as I was expecting from reviews comparing the two - just slightly vinegary and it dissipates quickly.

on 6/30/2018 8:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was very excited about a possible dupe to P50 toner. My skin is acne and eczema prone if I'm not careful. Also I have used acids for about 4 years, so my skin isn't new to AHA or BHA. Prior to adding Knockout toner I would tone with Pixi Glow tonic nightly, and use differin 3 times a week, Sunday Riley's good goods and luna oil the remainder of the week. I only use Knockout twice a week, following only with my Argan oil. I find just twice a week it doesn't irritate my skin. My texture is smoother and pore less noticeable.

The tingle is real, so I can't imagine using this daily or twice a day as some youtubers suggest. Go slow.

Price point, super reasonable in price. I may eventually build up to 4 times a week and no longer use Good Genes. (Still love my Luna Oil, especially since my skin doesn't tolerate Differin nightly.)

I bought this on the recommendation of Stephanie Nicole on YouTube. She knows a lot about skincare and she claimed this was a great lactic acid treatment. I was running low on my Sunday Riley good genes and was dreading the repurchase price, so I went ahead and ordered this instead. It REALLY tingles and by that I mean it stings a bit. I'm very tolerant to acids, so I know this is really doing something for me to even notice any tingle at all (which I never did with good genes). Within a week my skin was transformed. Pores are less visible, skin is plump and bright, even my skin tone looks more even somehow. I don't love the feeling of it right after application, which is a bit sticky to me, so I just use it at night. I cleanse, apply this with a cotton pad, and put on my Drunk Elephant protini moisturizer. My skin is looking the best it has in years!

This formula is the closest to the Cult-Status BR P50, just in terms of ingredients. Those of you who are familiar with that product know that it is a "heavy-hitter", recommended for those who have serious acid experience. The Tarte Knockout is similar in that it is a high % of acid, will definitely "tingle"/burn, but will clear anything on your face right up. Seriously, I am used to acid treatments. I've used Drunk Elephants Babyfacial and The Ordinary's Dupe, The Ordinary's 10% Lactic Acid, Good Genes, etc. all with successful results. None of my experience with those products is even comparable to the Tarte Knockout, in my honest opinion. I really enjoy Babyfacial/TO peeling solution, because my skin looks so radiant and clear, but I do experience some peeling afterwards (I have pretty dry/dehydrated skin). I used Knockout not expecting much in terms of results, but when I woke up the next morning my skin was smooth, several healing breakouts had smoothed out, and some of my post-acne red marks were dramatically reduced. This is only a 10% acid complex, so I don't know how it manages to be so much better than any other similar % acid I've tried, but it truly is. I don't use it every night, I alternate with Differin to keep my hormonal acne at bay. BR recommends using P50 2x/day, but I don't see how that can be feasible for anyone without their moisture barrier crying out for help. The same goes for the Knockout treatment, 1x a day is probably the max anyone should be using this. If you are used to low percentage acid products (Pixi Glow Tonic, TO Glycolic Toning Solution) this is going to be a much different experience for you, so go slow and really baby your skin after application. That means lots of moisture and sunscreen. If you are used to acid products, use P50 and are looking for a less expensive alternative, or have pretty tough skin, you should be fine with this. It will tinge, but that is normal for acid products, and unfortunately, for some of the ingredients in this product that can be sensitizing (Horseradish and Onion Extract). That tingle is worth it, and even though Beautypedia claims that any tingling is "irritation and stress", I think as long as you moisturize properly and WEAR SUNSCREEN (seriously, don't skip it), you are fine. Try a sample if you're nervous about the acid %, this product was a game changer for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I had high hopes for this product as several people mentioned it as a possibly more accessible dupe for Biologique Recherche P50. I've never used P50, so I can't compare the products. I use a lot of daily chemical exfoliators (AHA, primarily glycolic). I've also had good experience with the MUAC lactic acid peel in the past, so I decided to give this product a try.

Tingling? Eh. Honestly I didn't feel much on my skin. If you're new to chemical exfoliators, it might be a bit more sting-y.

Did it work? Maybe. I only used it for about a week and during that time I can't say that it seemed to do anything more than my Paula's Choice, PIXI, or MUAC exfoliators do.

Unfortunately, what it did do is give me a whole bunch of tiny, surface whiteheads. I don't have sensitive or acne prone skin and I've never had a reaction like this to a chemical exfoliator in the past. I assume it's either the niacinamide being so high in the ingredients list (I typically don't use products so high in niacinamide), or the more potentially irritating plant extracts they included.

Either way, this product is a miss for me.

The Tarte Knockout Tingling Treatment has many good things going for it, but they have also chosen to include a few iffy ingredients, unfortunately. They have included several great exfoliating acids, as well as niacinamide, that most people can benefit from including in their skincare routine. They have included salicylic, malic, phytic, and lactic acids which are good exfoliators. I like that they have packaged this well so these ingredients will remain effective. I wish Tarte would have chosen to exclude the acetic acid, myrrha resin, and horseradish because these are all proven to be skin sensitizer and irritators. Most of these are near the end of the ingredient which is good, but a lot of the tingling you could be experiencing is your skin being irritated by these ingredients. They have also included Rumex, which there isn't a lot of scientific research that I could find proving that it has any benefit for skin. My more detailed review can be seen here: