Artis Palm Brush

No Image

4.5

on 11/10/2017 9:38:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I got this brush because it seemed like a neat alternative to my favorite ever foundation brush the oval 8. This brush is kind of awkward and heavier than the oval 8, it feels a lot denser than the 8. I don’t regret getting it because it works great like the 8 but I just prefer the ease and comfort of the 8 more.

on 10/27/2017 11:05:00 AM

I'm always looking for new tools to apply foundation evenly and effortlessly, simply because I enjoy the process and I get dorky with things I like. I also like my brush to preserve the coverage of a foundation to the maximum extent so that I can save as much product as possible. I was already in love with the Oval 7 brush from Artis' Elite collection, so when they released this brush, I was interested in checking it out.

Artis advertises this brush as a multi-purpose brush for applying foundation (both on face and body) and skincare products. When I first saw the photo of this brush, I wondered about two things: (1) whether this is just a regular kabuki brush in a larger size, and (2) whether the large size would make it too cumbersome for applying foundation on my face.

After using it for a little over a week, I noticed several things about this brush. Although the concept of this brush is similar to a kabuki brush, it is different from all the kabuki brushes I own. It's denser, but also softer. These features give this brush the ability to blend like no other (not to mention that it is also very satisfying to use). These features are particularly useful when you work with a full-coverage pasty foundation formula like the Huda Beauty #FauxFilter Foundation. It applies the foundation so much more evenly and flawlessly than the brush the brand itself designed for applying this foundation. I have no idea what treatment they did on the fibers of this brush. For some reasons, they don't absorb foundation too much, and hence preserve the coverage of a foundation very well. I used to appreciate this aspect about the beauty blender. I always find that the beauty blender gives me a higher coverage than most of my brushes. (The trick is to soak it with kitchen tissue thoroughly after making it wet, so that it's soft but relatively dry on the surface). But sometimes I feel that the beauty blender falls short in getting foundation into my skin like brushes do (because you use a dabbing motion with the beauty blender, not a swiping or buffing motion). The palm brush gives me both coverage and thorough buffing effects. And, because of its big size, I'm done with foundation in just a few swipes.

One downside of this brush is that I do feel like the large size could sometimes make it cumbersome, although with some practice I am becoming better and better at getting to the corners of my face swiftly. Another downside is that it's pricy. If you are wondering whether you should buy it, here are my recommendations:

If you already own and enjoy other foundation brushes in the Artis collection, or if you already found your holy grail makeup application tool and just wondering whether you should spend $65 on a fancy brush that may out-perform what you already have, then the price of it may not justify the surprise it will bring to you. Of course if you want to use this brush for other purposes like applying foundation on your body, I'd say it's a good choice. Otherwise, I think this is will be a worthy purchase for you. I don't own any other foundation application tool that replicates the experience of applying foundation that this brush gives me.

Popular Makeup Brushes