Never been too impressed with the Skinfood brand, other than the Wash-off Black Sugar mask I just don't like their formulas at all - far too much fragrance and often alcohol in equal doses too. Until now! Got a small sachet of this as a GWP and put it to the test. Firstly the most surprising thing - despite how much honey and honey-derived ingredients are in here, it is not thick. I half-expected it to be a sticky essence but it's super runny and light. Next it has zero fragrance! I imagined this smelling like honey, the way all honey-containing products tend to...but not this. It just doesn't smell of anything period! I applied after cleansing and toning, gently massaging a few drops in.
Like Vitamin C serums I noticed a short-lived 'glow' when applying this and it does leave a very slightly sticky feeling behind, the way glycerine does but not as strongly. For oily skins this is moisturizing enough to use on its own. All the times I've used it I haven't needed to follow with the Royal Honey Cream, the moisture from this was sufficient enough for my skins needs. My makeup also went on fine after it, no balling up or any other issues. Granted a few applications can't give a full picture of long term benefits but I have a decent intro to the potential of this essence from just the one small sachet. It agrees with me and it's a very simple formulation, consisting of just a small handful of ingredients - all of which are either good ones or great ones (i.e the first three are: 63% black bee propolis extract, 10% royal jelly extract and 10% black honey extract).
Probably one of the priciest Skinfood products there is at $39 but I'm absolutely definitely considering picking this up in full size.
~ My HG list ~
(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)
1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
3. Pigmentation + Anti-Ageing Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Ingrown Hair Treatment - 'Priva Shave' - Post Hair Removal Treatment
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment