SKINFOOD Royal Honey Propolis Essence

SKINFOOD Royal Honey Propolis Essence
Royal Honey Propolis Essence

3.8

Propolis Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Honey Extract, Dipropylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Beta-Glucan, Carbomer, Arginine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium Edta, Water, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Never been too impressed with the Skinfood brand, other than the Wash-off Black Sugar mask I just don't like their formulas at all - far too much fragrance and often alcohol in equal doses too. Until now! Got a small sachet of this as a GWP and put it to the test. Firstly the most surprising thing - despite how much honey and honey-derived ingredients are in here, it is not thick. I half-expected it to be a sticky essence but it's super runny and light. Next it has zero fragrance! I imagined this smelling like honey, the way all honey-containing products tend to...but not this. It just doesn't smell of anything period! I applied after cleansing and toning, gently massaging a few drops in.
Like Vitamin C serums I noticed a short-lived 'glow' when applying this and it does leave a very slightly sticky feeling behind, the way glycerine does but not as strongly. For oily skins this is moisturizing enough to use on its own. All the times I've used it I haven't needed to follow with the Royal Honey Cream, the moisture from this was sufficient enough for my skins needs. My makeup also went on fine after it, no balling up or any other issues. Granted a few applications can't give a full picture of long term benefits but I have a decent intro to the potential of this essence from just the one small sachet. It agrees with me and it's a very simple formulation, consisting of just a small handful of ingredients - all of which are either good ones or great ones (i.e the first three are: 63% black bee propolis extract, 10% royal jelly extract and 10% black honey extract).
Probably one of the priciest Skinfood products there is at $39 but I'm absolutely definitely considering picking this up in full size.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Ingrown Hair Treatment - 'Priva Shave' - Post Hair Removal Treatment
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 1/31/2018 8:34:00 AM

This has been a blessing for my skin this winter: one pump is enough to bring my combo-oily skin back to life. I mean, it`s expensive, so I don`t dare use it every night, but when I do, I wake up with such radiant glowing skin.(and this has been the only change in my skin regimen, so I know it`s thanks to this). The ingredient list is short and sweet: just 3 things, honey extract, propolis and royal jelly. The dispenser is really nifty and hygienic: it`s self-filling, so when you close the jar, it fills up the little pipette with the exact amount you need to do your entire face. I wouldn`t use this in hot weather, but for my winter skin, this is HG status.

on 10/14/2017 9:28:00 AM

I have used a bottle of this product before and can't forget the amount of compliments I got. Basically, I was complimented for having radiant and smooth-looking skin. I would repurchase if not for the high price tag. I believe this is around $35-40. The 50ml bottle did last about 2months though. Would really recommend this to people who are focusing on improving skin texture.

First of all, the packaging i love it too much. Since I have oily-acne prone skin it helps me to calm my acne and it says also as an anti-aging. Just a drop goes along way. Maybe its too light for dry skin.

on 1/13/2017 7:13:00 PM

I usually don’t give 1 stars to anything, as most products have at least a basic function or two that it fulfills. This lightweight essence unfortunately was a little useless to me. It didn’t provide any hydration, which surprised me because the honey ingredient should be great for hydration. I was expecting a sticky/heavy texture that would give me some serious hydration because of the honey, royal jelly, and bee propolis extracts. The texture of this unscented essence is closely similar to a light/thin serum with no stickiness and absorbs decently – almost the same texture as the Mizon Snail Recovery Ampoule. At least this product doesn’t contain any alcohol in it, which I personally prefer products without. And it comes in a nifty dropper. But I suggest passing on this product and try something else. Amazon has a listing for $18. SokoGlam charges you $38 for 50ml (1.7oz). You can definitely score something more hydrating and effective at this price, or less!