wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.2

This is a decent drugstore foundation in my own opinion. I have been searching for this foundation for months and alas it finally arrived in Canada and Walmart has fully restocked their shelves with this foundation.

I got mine in two shades Buff Bisque (Light/Medium Neutral) and Soft Beige (Light/Medium Warm). I am MAC NC 20 - 25 and I find that these two shades work pretty well for me. However, I am loving how the Buff Bisque matches me quite better.

I have a dry combination skin that gets worse during the winter months. If you are a dry skin gal, please prep your skin pretty well with this foundation. It is very POWDERY!

I knew from the get go that this will be drying and I made sure that I used a beauty oil and a moisturizing sun block with my skin care routine. I also used FIX+ before and after makeup application.

The coverage is light - medium buildable but has the tendency to get cakey if you don't layer carefully.

Overall, it is a great foundation for combo and not too oily skin gals once your oils mixes with the foundation.
I got this for $ 7.49 CAD at Walmart - not too bad

I hope this review helps.

P.S. Anyone complaining about the Spatula applicator, please bear in mind ladies. You don't pour out your concealer in a dish. You're actually dipping back your doe foot applicator in and out of the concealer tube all the time and you are still alive, just saying.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Man, I'm bummed. I really thought I'd love this foundation, seeing as I have hero worship for their Coverall Creme. I bought Coverall as soon as it came out and haven't so much as glanced at another foundation in 4 years. But then Wet 'n' Wild releases a new one. So, logically, if Coverall is my $4 love, then Photo Focus will probably walk on water or cure cancer, right? I digress, but I had high hopes for this.

To be clear, I think this foundation can work for specific people. But-but... Coverall just works for almost every skin type, issue, and need under the sun. Oh well. It's not a bad foundation, it's just not my favorite.

The coverage itself is pretty negligible. If you have off skin like I do (acne, pitting, scarring and the like) you will need a heavy duty concealer (I'd rec Hard Candy Glamoflague for this). But the finish itself is pretty impressive. It's a very natural looking foundation. It dried to a matte finish, and only upon close examination is it obvious that I'm wearing product.

Despite the matte finish, I'm an oily-skinned gal, so I'm pretty cautious. When testing this foundation, I always set it with powder. Same results. After about 6-8 hours, there's consistent fading around my nose and chin. I've tried different powders, primers, methods of application... it still fades.

On the plus side, it didn't appear to irritate my stupid sensitive skin, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. I'm starting to think if I stare too hard at my face, I'll breakout.

And it does look beautiful in photography. Nary a flashback in sight. This was also pretty impressive too. I'm super pale, my natural skintone alone probably looks like flashback. But whatever, I looked nice in photos. Can't complain.

Overall, I wouldn't buy unless you're normal to dry skinned with relatively few flaws. But if you wanna give it a go, it's only $5. I love Wet 'n' Wild for that, the day they raise their prices is probably the day I'll pass Calculus. So... never.

I think I'll keep it around for special events where I know pictures will be taken. Or a hot revenge selfie sent to my ex. Take your pick, it'll work for both.

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I was very surprised at how much I liked this foundation, which is now a holy grail for me. First, the price: $4.68 at walmart. Got it in the shade Peach Natural, which I was also skeptical of, but the bottle recommended this color for light-medium, cool toned skin, and it works well. In the winter I mix it with a little bit of rose ivory. My skin is normally NW20-25, leaning a bit more toward NW25.

I have rosacea, so I need coverage, but I really don't like foundation, normally. I would consider this to be a medium coverage, and it feels very light on the skin. Very blendable. I apply with my fingers, using a Qtip to get the product off of the spatula so that I don't contaminate the product. If I could change only one thing, it would be to add a pump. It evens out my skin tone nicely, and lasts about 7-8 hours. It doesn't completely cover my rosacea, but it definitely makes me believe that I can go out in public again! The feel is quite velvety, and I don't find that it settles into lines or wrinkles, but that may have something to do with my makeup routine, since I can see that others have had that issue. I apply a thin layer of moisturizer, followed by Kiss My Face sunscreen, followed by Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer before using the Photofocus.

I have to say that I am really pleased with this--it is the best foundation I've ever tried, and that says a lot for a 59 year old grandmother who has tried everything, high to low end. My skin is combo, for reference. The paint smell is weird, but it dissipates quickly. Sold!

I only publish reviews of products that I truly believe in, and I use most of my reviewed products every day, long term. I am an ordinary woman trying to find what works without breaking the bank!

Hello MUA,
I'm impressed with this foundation. Being a Cosmetologist and a Nurse, among the many other roles us as women juggle in our everyday lives..this liquid foundation is not only affordable, but does the job as say Double Wear. You can build up the coverage or down. Use a lightly moist makeup blender, to make it a lighter coverage, want even more of a BB or CC feel to it, mix it with your moisturizer on the back of your clean hand.. even though it is a medium coverage foundation, their are many things you can do with this foundation to fit your needs and still love this great product! This foundation has no weird smell, goes on well and stays put without a powder. Powder, save until you actually need it to reduce shine or need a touch up! Set it with a setting spray instead. The results are amazing! Being 47 years old now, soon 48 in September..Yes, I recommend this for people of any age. I truly believe that you should always have 2 bottles of whatever foundation you are using, many makeup artists to the Stars believe that too! One that matches your skin tone and the other, a shade a little darker for Summer. Mixology 101, very simple. Also, if warm or cool tones are keeping you guessing, or are a little too much in the any product... you can't go wrong with just a Neutral tone! By the time you contour, use a highlighter or bronzer, no one will know and it's better to control how much pink or yellow tone's yourself, than say use overkill that's in the actual bottle! I've read the reviews, most of them. So, please let me address some of the problems some of you are having. I'm here to help, not to judge. If you feel like the foundation is, "sliding off your face".. it's what you might be doing before you put the foundation on that's the problem. Too much primer, moisturizer with spf, or just overload with sunscreen. ALL of these things are important, obviously. However, when you have a stay put foundation and your putting on a primer, I feel it's doing the opposite. Don't use the primer. Primer is over rated. Especially in the hot months, where you sweat and melt every which way and the humidity and dewpoint, ugh. Hot melting mess of drip and slide or slip and slide. It's ok on skipping a few preps here b4 foundation time! Honestly, skip the morning moisturizer. Yup! Your skin has enough oils going on in the Summer! Just use sunscreen! Please use sunscreen, even if a product says it has it in there. Let it absorb into the skin b4 you apply foundation. That should solve the problem!
Back to the review. It feels lightweight on your face, it doesn't cake, crep into fine lines or wrinkles. It blurs them well. We all know the claims for selling makeup, some are far fetched and to me and seems almost a scam and fraud!
Not this foundation! True to what it claims! Surprise! L. The bottle, it's cute with the "magic wand" as I call it. However, I tend to warm up the foundation on the back of my clean hand, then apply. Drugstore foundations have improved SO much over the years! MANY are BETTER than the "High End", in so many ways! Trying is believing!
I have combo skin, and the proper skincare, aides in the way your makeup results look. If you have acne prone skin, address the problem before you put anything on your skin. Switching constantly to different skincare or foundation for example, can cause havic on acne prone skin. Oil base foundations, harshly cleansing your skin, ect can be the agravater here. Speak to a good dermatologist and get different opinions on what's causing your breakouts. It might not be the foundation that is making you break out. I've been there, when I was younger. I am speaking from a place of empathy and compassion, & truth. Skincare, doesn't have to cost you a fortune either! KNOW your skin, know what your putting on your face, ingredient wise. Foundations, all basically have a few of the same ingredients! Any questions or concerns, you can contact me and I'll be more than happy to help you!
We want to be frugal and yet have the best! Nothing wrong with that! I might not have gotten into the science of this product, but other reviewers have. Please, check out those reviews as well!
I give my opinion, I try to help other reviewers without judgement and do my best to empower you & others! We're all human beings and and we are all in this "Beauty Brigade" together. Who doesn't want to look and feel beautiful, at any age?! Hope this helps! Xo 😇 ❤️😁

on 6/26/2017 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This foundation is NOT for textured skin, if you have flaws, acne scars, discoloration, dry patches. Just skip this one. Granted, this foundations DOES look amazing in photos, it looks cakey in real life. The formula is sheer and can be built to medium coverage with lots of coats and it dries down with a heavy feel to it. *Scent!! It literally smells like a bucket of Sherwin Williams house paint! Not kidding. I applied 3 coats on my cheeks since I have acne scars on that area and when I was in the sunlight I realized this foundation enhanced every one of my pores and made my skin look "rough" like when you haven't exfoliated for a while. And the pores on my nose where gigantic craters, not cute!

I would recommend as an alternative for photography makeup but in real life this foundation does not provide much coverage and ends up feeling and looking cakey. Hard pass for me and my acne scars.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine

I tried this foundation out for a first impression on my youtube channel (chloeluckin), and wasn't expecting much at all. For a foundation which doesn't have any claims about coverage, lasting ability or which skin type it's more suitable for, I just expected it to give a light coverage and to slide off ofmy face after a couple of hours.

I was amazed at how flawless my skin looked when I used it! This is my new obsession, and I've worn it several times since testing it out! The shade I tested was Buff Bisque, which is light-medium neutral. I would have purchased the warm shade, however, they had a very limited selection in Walmart when I went to America for my holiday, as they had all basically SOLD OUT! For a colour reference, I'm always between (or one of these) the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in 1W2 Sand and 2W1 Dawn. The colour match was very good, however the undertone was a little too pink.

I feel like this foundation is a dupe for the Estee Lauder Double wear. It has the same constancy, feels and looks the same on the skin. A little less coverage, as you need more to build up to the same as the Double Wear. Doesn't last as long, but lasted amazingly for 9 hours.

My Skin Type:
Oily-Combination Skin, very oily t-zone with redness and blemishes, acne prone.

PROS:
Very affordable - retails for $5-$6.
Long lasting - still looked flawless after 9 hours of wear.
Great for oily skin.
Didn't break me out.
Didn't irritate my sensitive skin.
Looks HD, and evens out skin texture and pores.
Amazing selection of colour - Fair-Deep Dark colours in Cool, Neutral and Warm undertones.
Easily build able.
Great coverage - medium and can be built up to almost full.
No flashback or white cast in photos.
No strong scent.
Spatula Applicator.
Packaging is glass, and feels very luxurious.

CONS
Very hard to find if you don't live in the US or Canada - Wet n Wild doesn't ship internationally.
Sells out very quickly, so very hard to find your shade in stock.
Sinks into pores after 6 hors if not used with a pore-filling primer.

For more reviews, check our my youtube channel: Chloeluckin

on 10/14/2017 2:16:00 PM

I really wanted to love this affordable foundation since it had favorable reviews from here and YT. This unfortunately is a big fat NO for me :( It accentuates every pore in my skin (and I don't really have large pores, either!!) I literally tried *every* type of application of brushes, fingers, BB with different combos of primers, oils, moisturizers, w/o moisturizers or primer, etc. and nope -- it was totally a scrubber with every method. I mean I couldn't even leave the house with it on my face, it was that noticeable!! I even tried my Laura Geller BNB foundation over it to cover up the pores, but it just make me look like a caked up horror show!!! lol!! *Even Fix+ couldn't fix that!!! I am 53, so I'm guessing it isn't for my age group. I'll stick to Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra 24H Long Wear Foundation which is the best (ATM) for me.

on 4/19/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Like most of the reviews, YouTube made me buy this. It goes on nice with a brush or beauty blender. Looks great for about 30 minutes then just goes down hill from there. I want to wash my face within a few hours of wearing this. My skin feels and looks terrible. It accentuates my pores, wrinkles and rubs off with the slightest touch. Not to mention it oxidizes terribly. I even tried mixing it with my sunscreen that usually dries me out. Nope. Also mixed it with my trusty Revlon colorstay..nope. Tried no setting powder, with setting powder..nope. Blotting didn't even take away the sticky/oily/tacky weirdness. I literally had to peel the tissue away from my skin while blotting. So bizarre.

on 2/14/2017 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I think I've finally my holy grail foundation. My skin is normal/combo mostly, prone to dry areas on the cheeks and oilier around the sides of the nose and t zone. I have big pores and dark spots/scarring in spots. Nothing severe.
The color match is good, the coverage is good, I've applied with both damp sponge & brush and coverage is good both ways. Its not streaky, cake like and looks surprisingly natural. It doesn't settle into my pores or emphasize them. It doesn't settle into my fine lines either.
It does smell like paint tho. And its very liquidy. I actually like the spatula that comes with it. The finish is matte so if you're dry skinned this might not be for you.

UPDATE 4/17/17
I have to lower my review, unfortunately. It's now starting to look very textured and drying on my face. And i really did want to love this but its not working well for me anymore... So I shall continue my foundation hunt.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’ve now been using my beloved Dior Forever for a few years and had no intention of straying. I assumed the hype over this foundation would die down as time went on but after continuing to see raves I decided to give it a shot. Mainly out of curiosity.
I really love this stuff. I wear shade 23 in the Dior and purchased this in buff bisque.
I often mix my foundation with a moisturizer or silicone-based serum - the latter works beautifully with this (haven’t tried regular moisturizer with it yet), provides decent coverage and an incredibly smooth finish that lasts all day.
I’ve actually been reaching for it exclusively since I purchased, and my Foreverskin has taken a backseat. Never thought I’d see the day I’d be wearing a Wet n’ Wild foundation, due to past experiences with them, but this one is a true winner!