CLINIQUE Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer

Filtered by skin type : Combination
CLINIQUE Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer
Pep-Start Hydroblur MoisturizerPep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer

3.4

Water, Glycerin, Sodium Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-1, Acetylated glycol stearate, Myristyl Myristate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii, Mangifera Indica Seed Butter,Hypnea Musciformis Extract,Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silesquioxane Crosspolymer, Gellidiela Acerosa, Sigesbeckia Orientalis Extract, Alcaligenes Polysaccharides, Algae Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Squalane, Ceramide NP, Beeswax, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Caffeine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trehalose, Sodium stearoyl glutamate, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Hydrogenated lecithin, Sodium polyacrylate starch, Pentylene Glycol, Laureth-9, Laureth-23, Silica, Silica silylate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Red 4 (ci 14700), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

As others have said, this is a bit of an odd product. I think it does work well as a moisturiser and it does mattify things a bit so makeup goes on well.

As I prefer using a combo moisturiser/spf product during the day, I only use this in a very specific instance. I live where it gets dark quite early in the winter and often get out of the gym/shower after dark. However, my day isn't over and I still want to look put together, but I don't need the SPF. This is great in that it's moisturiser and a base for makeup, but doesn't have SPF.

So, a nice product. Not something I'd use year round. Not something I'd rush out to repurchase immediately. But, I can see its usefulness and might buy in the future if I don't have anything else handy. Price is not too crazy either. Not a fan of jar packaging, but given the size and with every day usage, I don't think it will deteriorate before it's used up.

on 10/7/2018 6:48:00 AM

I am at the end of the first bottle now, so I have been using this product for some time, but with breaks because during summer I prefer using a SFP moisturizer, and putting sun cream on the top of this moisturizer it's impossible for me, the skin gets too oily.

During the winter and autumn I like using this. It makes the skin smooth and small imperfections less visible.

on 11/11/2017 8:40:00 AM

Got this with a GWP. No way in hell will I try it though because they added Myristyl Myristate which causes breakouts. So disappointed.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is my 6th-7th moisturizer from Clinique and this part of my review applies to every single one of them: Too. Much. Silicone. I have some worries about silicone like while it instantly makes the skin smoother, it feels like a skin make-up so to speak. Not change the skin but gives the illusion it has by making the surface get softer, like a wax. There isn't enough research on silicones so I can't say it does for sure but based on how my skin responds to silicone-rich moisturizers, I feel like they dry the skin in the longterm. I can still ignore the silicone if it's not listed high on the ingredients list but in every Clinique moisturizer it's high on the list, sometimes more than one silicone like this moisturizer.

The texture of this moisturizer is quite thick but that didn't bother me. No irritation. I think it would make a good primer before make-up indeed. I have combination skin with cheeks area that is a little on the dry side and t-zone that is a little on the oily side. I would say this moisturizer is for normal skin. It didn't do the best job on my cheeks but also didn't get my t-zone oilier than it is.

P.S. If you're wondering why I still shop at Clinique although I'm not satisfied with any of their moisturizers, it's really just because they make some good promotions. This should be a model to other brands.

P.P.S. I know I already talked about silicones but I genuinely don't understand why Clinique has many different moisturizers and STILL not make one that doesn't have silicone. That one I would actually purchase without needing a promotion. Other ingredients are really good in Clinique's moisturizers, just leave out silicones in a moisturizer for once for those of us who don't like them?

on 3/13/2017 3:27:00 PM

I received a deluxe sample of this in my Sephora bonus Pep Start Full of Pep Set. My first problem with this is the texture. It reminds me of the icing that comes in a can of cinnamon rolls. Application is very sticky and unpleasant. It feels like applying straight silicone to your face. It does not "blur imperfections" as it promises. Yes, it does moisturize. Yes, it has been kind to my sensitive skin. The problems are that it is gummy and it does not minimize pores, dry patches, or blemishes. I still have to use a concealer.

It works really well as a primer, but it's not moisturizing enough to replace your regular moisturizer. I find by the end of the day, the skin around my mouth is really dry and tight.

on 3/7/2017 2:19:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Strange product. Not very moisturing at all but it serves a different purpose for me. I use this when I'm heading to the gym or if I'm running out quickly and just want my skin to look a bit better and stay mattified (but not crazy fake matte). This is absolutely amazing if you're not wearing makeup but also don't like a bare face. I put this on before my sunscreen (I don't leave the house without it on) and my skin actually looks great even after sweating at the gym. I have a super shiny, oily t zone and am really impressed at how this held up. I also have combo dry cheeks and there was no issue with dryness. Definitely recommend this. I honestly haven't tried it with real foundation. It's fine with powder and concealer but it really works well alone making you look like your natural skin is just that much better. Would repurchase.

Literally nothing special. So many drugstore moisturizers that are so much better. This is like a knock off version of Cerave but for more money. My skin didn't look great using this. Got little bumps. Love the eye cream though!

on 10/16/2016 12:22:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Glycerin is the 2nd ingredient. Trust clinique for the primer effect, but if you want the benefits as astraight moisturizer at night or for chapped hands, just buy $3 bottle glycerin at the grocery store. Use a few drops diluted with afew drops of water on a moist skin.
This is what the frozen northern fishermen used on their hands.

on 8/22/2016 2:34:00 PM

LOVE!!! This cream has been an absolute godsend for my combo-oily skin! It is so good. This is kind of my new favorite product right now, I am obsessed with it. Definitely one of Clinique's best and a potential HG.

This new Pep-Start HydroBlur Moisturizer has a thick-ish texture to it (reminds me of Kinerase Lotion if you've ever used that product), but when you apply it to the skin it feels completely lightweight. And it has a wonderful mattifying effect that lasts ALL DAY. Provides the perfect amount of moisture without turning my face into a greasy mess (a problem that I have with a lot of moisturizers). Just makes my skin look and feel AMAZING.

Probably the best day cream I have ever tried. I cannot recommend this product enough for those with combo-oily skin!

I will absolutely buy this again.