Glossier Generation G

Glossier Generation G
Generation GGeneration GGeneration G

3.3

Not tested on animals

Ethylhexyl Stearate, Polyethylene, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, C10-18 Triglycerides, Isohexadecane Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-20/23 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Punica Granatum Extract, Silica, Aluminum Dimyristate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Isoceteth-10, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Laureth-4, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Agave Tequilana Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT. MAY CONTAIN: Mica (CI 77019), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 33 Lake (CI 17200), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090).

on 1/31/2018 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love Glossier and bought this product in Crush, Zip, Leo, and Jam. I really like the sheer matte formulation for an understated yet "done" lip. It's perfect for a casual office environment. Unfortunately, only Leo and Jam really work with my skin tone. Jam is a beautiful purple color that feels really modern but not OTT. Leo is great for when I need a lip color to finish a look but don't want anything too bold. I use it kind of like foundation for my lips, to even out the natural color. Zip and Crush, unfortunately, didn't work with my Indian complexion, although I have Indian friends who love Crush. Zip was not the right red for my skin tone and, of all the colors, it really highlighted flakiness and settled into fine lines. Even if I liked the color, I wouldn't wear Zip unless my lips were properly exfoliated, which I can't really be bothered to do. One thing -- these lipsticks go rancid really quickly. Maybe it's good that they aren't chock full of preservatives, but it's definitely something to be aware of. The packaging is also cheap, and almost certainly won't last the life of the lipstick. Overall I'd repurchase this product in Leo and Jam and would consider buying more if Glosser came out with more colors, which I'm sure they will.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I wanted to love this product so so much. I mean, a sheer AND matte lipstick?? YES PLEASE. You rarely see that combination together. If a lipstick is sheer, then it's also most likely to be glossy. I bought this in Jam and Leo. The colours are lovely, and Leo especially is a really unique nude warm brown that isn't too orange that I don't see often. Great MLBB on my medium tanned skin.

My one big gripe is that this product sinks into the grooves of your lips. And it doesn't even do it as it wears off, it does it straight after application. So unless you've got perfect lips that have been scrubbed and smoothed and is naturally not dry, you can't use this product. It doesn't apply smoothly and it clings on to dry patches, and highlights any irregularities in your lip texture instead of smoothing them out. I guess the somewhat patchiness of the lipstick is what people like about it when they say it looks like a natural stain?

Packaging is pretty lousy, as most other reviews would agree. It's also quite a small lipstick which means you're not really getting your money's worth. Longevity is average.

Lovely colours, but that's the only thing good about them. I suppose if you've already got nice lips with no problems then this is a safe option for you. I wouldn't be repurchasing nor would I recommend it to anyone who has deep grooves, or even a hint of dryness in their lips.

EDIT: I find that since moving to a more humid tropical climate where my lips are less dry, this product does work better. Still applies quite patchy though.

I have generation g in Jam and I actually kept it in my purse for times when I suddenly wished I had put on lipstick before leaving the house (like running into my crush at trader joes, for example). It's super easy to apply, does go on a little dry, but it's a semi-matte.

I had my best luck with it when I'd put on a nice heavy lip balm about 10 minutes before, and then wipe most of the lip balm off (along with any dry flaky lip stuff) right before applying the generation g.

I think the look it produces is feminine and effortless, glossier's whole thing.. and I will definitely be replacing it when I run out!

also, I have a code for 10% off if you are on the fence! http://bff.glossier.com/hqIV6

on 12/3/2017 12:19:00 AM

Glossier is a marketing machine. A very good one. Perhaps better than the products themselves.

I have the colour Zip, which is nice. But the product itself is a bit stiff and requires work. It’s very drying on the lips without some sort of balm underneath, which is annoying. And the packaging is, well, cheap and almost disposable.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted to order a bunch of these when Glossier was made available in the UK but then I thought I'd try one and see if I liked it. I have to say, it's everything I thought it would be. I'm not a fan of very opaque lipsticks for daytime, and I was just looking for something that would be translucent and leave a sheer wash of color. This is exactly it. If feels balm-y, but not overwhelmingly so, if that makes sense; I like tinted balms, but usually I'll feel like I have a layer of grease on my lips, and it's unpleasant. This one feels very lightweight in comparison, but it doesn't dry out my lips. The texture is exactly what I've always needed from a lipstick but never found anywhere, because instead of looking glossy, it's rather matte, but not like the matte lipsticks that are everywhere now and feel very powdery. I have the shade Like, which is a sheer pink, and honestly to me, the best thing. I love daytime makeup that will leave people wondering if I'm wearing anything, but will just enhance my features so that I look nice. I have to add that I can apply this without having to look in a mirror. I saw that some people were struggling with the packaging; it's not my case, hope it lasts. I want to try Zip now!

Edit: Bought Zip, gloriously (drunkenly) lost it on a night out one week after. I'm not too upset as it honestly didn't stay on my lips more than a couple of hours, leaving only the edges, and I had to reapply often. However, I'm loving the Leo one, that I gave to my mom as a present and tried on. It's a very flattering shade, makes my North African roots really show. I will definitely purchase it for myself.

on 10/18/2017 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

absolutely adore this lip product! I bought the shade "Crush" & it's the perfect pink. If I dab it on, it's a very natural pink color that really gives my face some life. If I apply it like a normal lipstick, it's a beautiful sheer red that looks amazing with a nice gloss. I normally wear it with a natural pinky lip liner, and "Crush" over top. I do plan on getting the rest of the shades very soon, especially "Jam" & "Cake." I adore Glossier and their whole line, the packaging is so nice & their overall aesthetic is so cute. The only drawback is the price, but I do have a link for 20% off your next purchase! :) http://bff.glossier.com/gIzZ3

on 9/30/2017 11:03:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is basically everything I want in a lip colour, to make my lips look stained from something I’ve eaten. I’ve read the claims and really wanted to try it and haven’t been disappointed. I have it in Crush and Jam and both are beautiful. It’s not cheap but I can deal with that. Annoyingly Glossier isn’t available in Australia despite one of their Ambassadors (Phoebe Tonkin) being Australian, hopefully this will change soon.

I bought this in Zip on Sunday at the Glossier showroom (quite the scene that place. I was simultaneously fascinated and annoyed. Highly inefficient way of selling, but it did make it feel a bit more velvet ropey than your average store. Kids these days...) Anyway, it's the only one of these lipsticks that showed up at all on my lips. It comes off as more orange than I like initially but then somehow transforms to a nice soft red. Not terribly drying and medium staying power. I'm not sure I will buy again, but it's an interesting product. Here's some weirdness, though, and I can't find any commentary on this on the internet. I swear to God it smells like doughnut or empanada grease. Not rancid grease, I think it's purposeful. It's oddly not unpleasant but super weird. Every time I pull the thing out, my brain instantly thinks I've just eaten something tasty that is very very bad for me. Anybody else ever notice this?

on 9/11/2017 2:18:00 AM

I love this tinted lip balm. It's matte without that dry, cakey, "HI I'M WEARING MATTE LIPSTICK" mess. It's subtle!

I bought this in Leo (neutral terra cotta brown) and I love it. There's no gloss or shine, and yet it doesn't look flat or dull. And it goes on so smooth and sheer. Just a hint of color. It's perfect for me.

My only complaint is the cheap-ish packaging. It's cute, but the quality could really be better.

I can't wait to try more shades and I'd definitely buy this one again!

on 8/24/2017 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Where do I start? I've extremely conflicted by this product. I have one colour in the shade Zip, which is a nice poppy red that you can build up, blot, and it stays there all evening (if you work it right). So longevity isn't the problem for me. It actually looks really cute, and it's not messy to work with. And where most lip colours need some sort of Qtip intervention to look blotted, you can just throw this on.

Now on to the critique. I've had Zip for about 8 months now, and i'm over halfway finished. I see a lot if complaints that it has a small amount of product, and you would be right: a standard lipstick carries about 3.5 grams where the Generation G has 2 grams. I take a long time to finish a lipstick anyway, and it tends to expire before I can accomplish that, but I can see this being a deal-breaker for people.

There's also the drawback of the packaging, as I've seen on so many reviews on the Glossier website (they have since hidden the review section) The packaging breaks! I'm very light-handed with my makeup, and i've never had caps break on me, but this cap, after several weeks, begins to crack in a spherical form until a chunk of the lid falls off and you have to stick it back on with tape. I'm assuming this is why they include the stickers... to patch up the sins of packaging malfunctions.

Lastly, and I would say most importantly, the price tag is very arbitrary. If you look at the price of say... a Mac lipstick, what are you paying for? You're paying for 3 grams of product, a sturdy package, and the name of a reputable makeup brand. Glossier sells neither with Generation G, as you get less product without the sturdiness or prestige. A Mac lipstick costs $17.50 USD, a Generation G costs $20 USD. The lipstick market is a competitive place, and once the trend factor of Glossier has run its course, and people begin to compare QUALITY, they will have only competitive pricing to contend with. Social media marketing aside, if I was given the choice right now between paying 20 dollars for Glossier or 17.50 for Mac, I would take the latter.

That being said, I am clearly enjoying the actual product inside, no complaints there. It's all packaging, quantity, and price-tag for me. If they released an improved version of this product with 3 grams and a nice sturdy tube (and perhaps for 17 dollars like the lip gloss), I would consider buying another one. However, as it stands, I'll get my red lipstick fix elsewhere.

Popular Lips Products