3.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

I wanted to love this product so so much. I mean, a sheer AND matte lipstick?? YES PLEASE. You rarely see that combination together. If a lipstick is sheer, then it's also most likely to be glossy. I bought this in Jam and Leo. The colours are lovely, and Leo especially is a really unique nude warm brown that isn't too orange that I don't see often. Great MLBB on my medium tanned skin. My one big gripe is that this product sinks into the grooves of your lips. And it doesn't even do it as it wears off, it does it straight after application. So unless you've got perfect lips that have been scrubbed and smoothed and is naturally not dry, you can't use this product. It doesn't apply smoothly and it clings on to dry patches, and highlights any irregularities in your lip texture instead of smoothing them out. I guess the somewhat patchiness of the lipstick is what people like about it when they say it looks like a natural stain? Packaging is pretty lousy, as most other reviews would agree. It's also quite a small lipstick which means you're not really getting your money's worth. Longevity is average. Lovely colours, but that's the only thing good about them. I suppose if you've already got nice lips with no problems then this is a safe option for you. I wouldn't be repurchasing nor would I recommend it to anyone who has deep grooves, or even a hint of dryness in their lips. EDIT: I find that since moving to a more humid tropical climate where my lips are less dry, this product does work better. Still applies quite patchy though. Another EDIT: I’ve found a good use for this lipstick, and I use it after applying lipstick/balm to mattify my lips. This way I still get the matte texture I want, and it doesn’t sink in to the grooves (as much). Still wouldn’t repurchase.

About reviewer (121 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinVery Oily, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

EyesBlack

2 years ago

Glossier is a marketing machine. A very good one. Perhaps better than the products themselves. I have the colour Zip, which is nice. But the product itself is a bit stiff and requires work. It’s very drying on the lips without some sort of balm underneath, which is annoying. And the packaging is, well, cheap and almost disposable.

About reviewer (40 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

2 years ago

I wanted to order a bunch of these when Glossier was made available in the UK but then I thought I'd try one and see if I liked it. I have to say, it's everything I thought it would be. I'm not a fan of very opaque lipsticks for daytime, and I was just looking for something that would be translucent and leave a sheer wash of color. This is exactly it. If feels balm-y, but not overwhelmingly so, if that makes sense; I like tinted balms, but usually I'll feel like I have a layer of grease on my lips, and it's unpleasant. This one feels very lightweight in comparison, but it doesn't dry out my lips. The texture is exactly what I've always needed from a lipstick but never found anywhere, because instead of looking glossy, it's rather matte, but not like the matte lipsticks that are everywhere now and feel very powdery. I have the shade Like, which is a sheer pink, and honestly to me, the best thing. I love daytime makeup that will leave people wondering if I'm wearing anything, but will just enhance my features so that I look nice. I have to add that I can apply this without having to look in a mirror. I saw that some people were struggling with the packaging; it's not my case, hope it lasts. I want to try Zip now! Edit: Bought Zip, gloriously (drunkenly) lost it on a night out one week after. I'm not too upset as it honestly didn't stay on my lips more than a couple of hours, leaving only the edges, and I had to reapply often. However, I'm loving the Leo one, that I gave to my mom as a present and tried on. It's a very flattering shade, makes my North African roots really show. I will definitely purchase it for myself.

About reviewer (94 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

EyesHazel

2 years ago

This is basically everything I want in a lip colour, to make my lips look stained from something I’ve eaten. I’ve read the claims and really wanted to try it and haven’t been disappointed. I have it in Crush and Jam and both are beautiful. It’s not cheap but I can deal with that. Annoyingly Glossier isn’t available in Australia despite one of their Ambassadors (Phoebe Tonkin) being Australian, hopefully this will change soon.

About reviewer (30 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

2 years ago

I bought this in Zip on Sunday at the Glossier showroom (quite the scene that place. I was simultaneously fascinated and annoyed. Highly inefficient way of selling, but it did make it feel a bit more velvet ropey than your average store. Kids these days...) Anyway, it's the only one of these lipsticks that showed up at all on my lips. It comes off as more orange than I like initially but then somehow transforms to a nice soft red. Not terribly drying and medium staying power. I'm not sure I will buy again, but it's an interesting product. Here's some weirdness, though, and I can't find any commentary on this on the internet. I swear to God it smells like doughnut or empanada grease. Not rancid grease, I think it's purposeful. It's oddly not unpleasant but super weird. Every time I pull the thing out, my brain instantly thinks I've just eaten something tasty that is very very bad for me. Anybody else ever notice this?

About reviewer (44 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinNormal

HairBlond

EyesBlue

3.0
from

2 years ago

Where do I start? I've extremely conflicted by this product. I have one colour in the shade Zip, which is a nice poppy red that you can build up, blot, and it stays there all evening (if you work it right). So longevity isn't the problem for me. It actually looks really cute, and it's not messy to work with. And where most lip colours need some sort of Qtip intervention to look blotted, you can just throw this on. Now on to the critique. I've had Zip for about 8 months now, and i'm over halfway finished. I see a lot if complaints that it has a small amount of product, and you would be right: a standard lipstick carries about 3.5 grams where the Generation G has 2 grams. I take a long time to finish a lipstick anyway, and it tends to expire before I can accomplish that, but I can see this being a deal-breaker for people. There's also the drawback of the packaging, as I've seen on so many reviews on the Glossier website (they have since hidden the review section) The packaging breaks! I'm very light-handed with my makeup, and i've never had caps break on me, but this cap, after several weeks, begins to crack in a spherical form until a chunk of the lid falls off and you have to stick it back on with tape. I'm assuming this is why they include the stickers... to patch up the sins of packaging malfunctions. Lastly, and I would say most importantly, the price tag is very arbitrary. If you look at the price of say... a Mac lipstick, what are you paying for? You're paying for 3 grams of product, a sturdy package, and the name of a reputable makeup brand. Glossier sells neither with Generation G, as you get less product without the sturdiness or prestige. A Mac lipstick costs $17.50 USD, a Generation G costs $20 USD. The lipstick market is a competitive place, and once the trend factor of Glossier has run its course, and people begin to compare QUALITY, they will have only competitive pricing to contend with. Social media marketing aside, if I was given the choice right now between paying 20 dollars for Glossier or 17.50 for Mac, I would take the latter. That being said, I am clearly enjoying the actual product inside, no complaints there. It's all packaging, quantity, and price-tag for me. If they released an improved version of this product with 3 grams and a nice sturdy tube (and perhaps for 17 dollars like the lip gloss), I would consider buying another one. However, as it stands, I'll get my red lipstick fix elsewhere.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Curly, Fine

EyesGray

1.0

3 years ago

I'm really disappointed about this product. Got it yesterday and still can't believe how much of a hype it is. The packaging was super cool...but I lost my breath when I saw the actual lipstick and how TINY it was. It looked so much like a sample size that I went to their site and checked if I had ordered a sample. They don't have sample sizes so this is ACTUALLY the size of the lipstick. But that's not all, once I put it on noticed that the colour has NO lasting power. It won't survive your first coffee of the day and it will leave a ring of faded colour around your lips (gross). I really feel like these products are just hyped and there's nothing special about them...and not even the nice packaging and the stickers can compensate for the high price and lack of quality.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

1.0

3 years ago

Another trial-size product from Glossier. Seriously, ladies, is this brand a huge rip-off or is it me? The color I got is a very standard rose pink that I put on once and will never wear again unless I'm dressing up as my grandma for Halloween. So disappointed. I thought it would look more natural.

About reviewer (23 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBlond

3.0

3 years ago

Hmmm I had such high hopes. I usually like a bold lip but was drawn to the Glossier popsicle stained lip look given by these. What do I like? They definitely give that stained look to the lips - I have Zip and Jam. Both are very sheer but can be layered to something more like a light level of colour. Zip is my preferred shade of the two being a lovely neutral red. If it was possible for sheer red lips to look natural then this product is the closest thing I've found. Jam is pretty as well, a blackberry shade, but Zip suits me better - I'm an olive NC20 brunette with brown eyes. I also like the matte finish but they don't feel drying. They have quite good lasting power for a sheer lip product, the colour sticks around for a few hours and can last through a cup of tea. What don't I like? They are incredibly patchy when directly applied to the lips. I find I need to use my finger to blend it in evenly which is annoying - particularly as they're meant to be a easy lip balm x tint type product. I also find the packaging quite flimsy - you can find drugstore products with sturdier packaging than this. To be honest, the patchiness is the biggest negative to this product for me. I'll keep using them - Zip especially as I love the look once blended but I wouldn't repurchase.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinNormal, Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

3 years ago

Ugh, I want to like this. I have it in Jam. Like the texture, like the color but unfortunately, it doesn't last. Wears off quickly & leaves a ring around the lips.

About reviewer (114 reviews)

Age36-43