Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Too Faced Peanut butter and jelly palette
Peanut butter and jelly palette

4.5

on 9/14/2017 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I held out for a long time because the tin looks like a child’s lunch box and I’m not tempted by fragrance – in fact I usually avoid scented makeup. Luckily the fragrance isn’t irritating or overpowering.

It’s a small selection of colors but there is enough variety that you’re not trapped into the same look every day. In addition to warm tans and creams there are two purples and a bronze. Too Faced always includes a little pamphlet with a few diagrams to get you started and you’ll no doubt think of other ways to use it.

My first time using the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette, I put a soft shimmery gold, Bananas, on the mobile lid with Wayne Goss #6. I followed with Peanut Butter, an orangey tan, in the crease with MAC 221 and then deepened the crease with Peanut Butter Cup, a deep bronze. I used Peanut Butter Cup for the outer V as well using Goss #5 pencil brush. I put Extra Creamy, the matte ivory, on the browbone. I finished with Wet ‘n Wild H2O liner in brown and Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes mascara. I was really happy with the look. The shadows were smooth with less fallout than many of the pans in the Chocolate Bar palette. They lasted all day. I had primed the lids with Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss, but Too Faced Shadow Insurance is a good primer worth considering in case you prefer a colorless primer.

On another day I started with a wash of Extra Creamy using Wayne Goss #3. Then I took the Jelly shade, a pretty lilac, and put it on the mobile lid with a short paddle brush (MAC 239). I took it up, ending slightly above the crease, and then I went over the crease with the darker plum shimmer called Jammin’ using Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush. With Charlotte Tilbury’s smudge brush I ran Jammin’ along the lower lashline as well. The two purples blended together nicely. (By the way, if you happen to have green eyes, purple will make them pop.) I finished with black liner and mascara. Jelly and Jammin’ aren’t too crazy but they give you the opportunity to stray from neutrals. With a shade like Jelly you can apply it wet to intensify it, but it looks lovely dry.

There seems to be less fallout from these powders than the shadows in Too Faced Chocolate Bar.

I have only encountered one drawback: I didn’t realize how much I rely on having a very deep brown shadow until I encountered a few palettes like this that don’t have one. Jammin’ can be used to smoke up the crease. However, several times I’ve dipped into the Too Faced Chocolate Bar for Hazelnut and Triple Fudge. I wish I had a matte dark chocolate in the PB&J palette.

If Too Faced had made this palette larger, they could have included additional shades such as a deeper brown and a few more inspired by jelly. Instead they introduced another nine-pan palette a few months later, Peanut Butter & Honey. On the positive side, this tin is lighter and therefore more portable than the larger, heavier Chocolate Bar palettes or the Sweet Peach palette. I think Too Faced found the sweet spot with Just Peachy Mattes - that palette is large enough to give you twelve shades but still streamlined enough for trips.

Overall, Peanut Butter & Jelly turned out to be a great little palette. I wasn’t sure what to expect from that smiling piece of toast, but I found the quality to be surprisingly good. Too Faced offers a refreshing change from pretentious brands that take themselves too seriously.

The retail price is $36 but Too Faced and Ulta occasionally offer sales and promotions that allow you to buy it for less.

I love this palette, which is weird because I don't even like warm colors usually. I can't express my adoration for this enough. The colors are very pigmented and they are boring brown tones. These are a bit orangey and terra cotta colored in the very best way. The purple shade is amazing and the brown/purple is beautiful on the lid. Most of the time I don't like too faced's packaging but this is adorable. Not to mention the smell is amazing(and different than the normal chocolate scent that I'm not fond of). Must have in my collection.