Kiehl's Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm Moisturizer

Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm Moisturizer

4.9

on 1/5/2019 7:10:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Let me start by saying that I have 60 plus year old dry skin with flakiness around my eyes. When winter hits in New England, my skin gets even more dry.

I have tried so many creams and lotions for my face and body that I've lost count - from the drug store Vanicream (which is another favorite) to the high end LaMer. I think with this balm, I've found my holy grail. I use this twice a day. In the AM I use hyaluronic acid, this balm and then primer before foundation. At night I use hyaluronic acid, retinal cream and then top it off with this balm. It leaves my skin totally moisturized with the flakiness around my eyes gone in one day.

I do also rub this between my fingers to warm it up and then do more of a pressing than rubbing when applying to my face. This does cause a bit of stinging when first applied around my eyes but goes away quickly. It doesn’t show redness or irritation.

I also love this for hand cream. It takes a bit to soak in but leaves a nice barrier and the moisturizing lasts all day, even with hand washing. My cuticles have never looked this good.

I have been using this for a month now and seems like it solved the flakey patches on my chin and sides of my mouth and sometimes on my cheeks (they still appear from time to time but I use masks to clean and hydrate and together with this balm seems to work). It worked from day one, but I did not want to rush to review, just to be sure it really works and does not break me out, because it truly is a balm (and I asked for samples first, before buying).
I hesitated a lot to buy, because it is sooo thick. I was using the cream version before and loved it, but it just wasn't enough for the winter months (and it was not even very cold and I did not spend a lot of time outside). I love the cream version and I will continue to use for spring/summer.

This is extremely thick so I apply a normal layer for the night and a thiner layer in the morning (and it works better if I first warm it up in the palm of my hand) and I can apply foundation and make-up with no problems. It hydrates perfectly, does not have any fragrance which is perfect for me. I wish it had some anti-aging properties, but it does not, however I can even use a serum first and still it looks good. I was very supprised that even with serum+this thick balm+ foundation (which is Clinique Even Better, also for dryer skin types) and my face does not look oily. I set the foundation with a bit of poweder and my face looks so natural and healthy throughout the day. It seems this balm saved my face for this winter. The way it goes, I will not finish it untill late spring, so it is very price efficient.
Kiehl's has a policy of being generous with samples, so I would advise to ask for a couple of samples first, to be sure it really works for you, this is what I did and after I was convinced, I went back to buy.

on 12/8/2018 8:08:00 PM

now heres a revolutionary idea.... using facial creams on the body. yes you can! talk about thinking outside of the box. i got this for face but it was too heavy... broke me out. i have acne issues so its something i have to deal with. but i already had bought this stuff so what to do?

i used it on my feet. they are super dry and had horrible red patches of eczema on them. ive been dealing with it for years. now after one week of using this cream my poor feet are healed. i realized.... ive been using too cheap of creams. this kiehls cream is a wonder!

If you have super dry skin then you need this! This is my go-to cream for the dry winter months. A couple things you need to know to love it... first, a little goes a LONG way. Too much and you'll have a thick cast on your face. And second, take that small amount and warm it between your fingers slightly before applying to you face. Using it like this, it is a lifesaver for my skin in the winter. Plus it does last a long time because you truly do not need much.

THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY FACE! Oh my gosh... My face was on fire from using another product from another well-known company for over a week (it was fine to start with then it just burnt!). I went into the store with no makeup and an extremely red and painful skin all over my forehead, cheeks, chin and neck. The shop assistant at Kiehl’s said that I should definitely try this balm - OH MY WORD AND SOUL, SOMEBODY CATCH ME WHEN I FALL BECAUSE THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING. I am not even kidding - I got home, washed my face gently with water (as it burnt so much) and applied two coats of this stuff. The next day, the redness was gone. On the third day (each of those days applying only one coat as per instructions, the skin on my face is starting to recuperate and heal; the burns are gone! Just like giving your skin a BIG drink of water. THANK YOU!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is so good. I went on vacation to Banff in the middle of winter and I credit this with keeping my (very dry) skin happy.

A couple things to note. When it says 'balm', they mean it. I normally don't like using products that come in jars, but it literally would be impossible to have it in any other form, it's that thick. For that same reason, I don't recommend using this during the daytime. It leaves me feeling a little tacky, which I don't mind because I know that it's trapping in moisture, but it won't play well with makeup.

It's also pricey, but I don't mind because I only need a tiny bit each night. I take a pea sized amount and rub it between my palms to warm it up a little, then press it into my skin. Rubbing doesn't work well, again because it's so thick, but pressing seems to do the trick.

on 2/26/2018 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

my skin used to be oily, then combo, then a bit dry and now we are DRY. even the heaviest moisturizers i used would soak in and i would have that right uncomfrtable feeling and be slightly flakey. this one made my skin comfortable and slightly dewy (in a good way) and so far no breakout as I am very very acne prone. LOVE. Probably not for anyone with skin that isn't dry though or else you might be an oil slick!

on 1/23/2018 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've tried it all - from La Mer, to Clinque, to Olay - and everything in between. No product has impacted my skin like this product. Skin is instantly moisturized, fine lines and dehydration lines significantly reduced. When i woke up the next morning i had to do a triple take in the mirror because my skin looked so plump and radiant. Been on it for about a month now, and it has changed everything about my skin. Good price point, I feel like at this price i can apply without worrying about replenishing the product.

on 12/12/2017 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh, Ultra Balm... Where have you been all my life? This is absolutely perfect for me. I have dry-ish skin, but most balms just sit in a oily mess on top of my skin and do zilch in terms of moisturizing. this... Oh, this is different. This actually soaks into my skin, moisturizes, and isn't greasy or oily. It's perfection in a jar. I'm eager to see how it performs when the weather turns warmer (months from now.. ) I suspect it will still be just as nice. I may have found my holy grail of moisturizers. If I have, when I need to repurchase Imma get the mondohugegimungo size so that I have it always. It has no scent that I can detect (and I hate fragrance in skincare) and truly, the jar doesn't bother me at all. I'm the only one using it, and I'm not unsanitary, so the jar is not a big deal to me. I use active agents in other products - all I want this to do is moisturize, and it does that brilliantly.

on 12/4/2017 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Wow, all 5 lippies, I took one off because of the price, it really does not worth that much. This product is especially good during series of laser treatment, when my skin needs a lots of moisture, plus a coating to protect the new skin. Along the way I discovered something that works just as good at a fraction of the price - Paula's Choice body butter. As I remembered this is about $70 Canadian. No way, no more.