Kiehl's Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm Moisturizer

Kiehl's Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm Moisturizer
Ultra Facial Deep Moisture Balm Moisturizer

4.9

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is so good. I went on vacation to Banff in the middle of winter and I credit this with keeping my (very dry) skin happy.

A couple things to note. When it says 'balm', they mean it. I normally don't like using products that come in jars, but it literally would be impossible to have it in any other form, it's that thick. For that same reason, I don't recommend using this during the daytime. It leaves me feeling a little tacky, which I don't mind because I know that it's trapping in moisture, but it won't play well with makeup.

It's also pricey, but I don't mind because I only need a tiny bit each night. I take a pea sized amount and rub it between my palms to warm it up a little, then press it into my skin. Rubbing doesn't work well, again because it's so thick, but pressing seems to do the trick.

on 2/26/2018 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

my skin used to be oily, then combo, then a bit dry and now we are DRY. even the heaviest moisturizers i used would soak in and i would have that right uncomfrtable feeling and be slightly flakey. this one made my skin comfortable and slightly dewy (in a good way) and so far no breakout as I am very very acne prone. LOVE. Probably not for anyone with skin that isn't dry though or else you might be an oil slick!

on 1/23/2018 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've tried it all - from La Mer, to Clinque, to Olay - and everything in between. No product has impacted my skin like this product. Skin is instantly moisturized, fine lines and dehydration lines significantly reduced. When i woke up the next morning i had to do a triple take in the mirror because my skin looked so plump and radiant. Been on it for about a month now, and it has changed everything about my skin. Good price point, I feel like at this price i can apply without worrying about replenishing the product.

on 12/12/2017 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Oh, Ultra Balm... Where have you been all my life? This is absolutely perfect for me. I have dry-ish skin, but most balms just sit in a oily mess on top of my skin and do zilch in terms of moisturizing. this... Oh, this is different. This actually soaks into my skin, moisturizes, and isn't greasy or oily. It's perfection in a jar. I'm eager to see how it performs when the weather turns warmer (months from now.. ) I suspect it will still be just as nice. I may have found my holy grail of moisturizers. If I have, when I need to repurchase Imma get the mondohugegimungo size so that I have it always. It has no scent that I can detect (and I hate fragrance in skincare) and truly, the jar doesn't bother me at all. I'm the only one using it, and I'm not unsanitary, so the jar is not a big deal to me. I use active agents in other products - all I want this to do is moisturize, and it does that brilliantly.

on 12/4/2017 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Wow, all 5 lippies, I took one off because of the price, it really does not worth that much. This product is especially good during series of laser treatment, when my skin needs a lots of moisture, plus a coating to protect the new skin. Along the way I discovered something that works just as good at a fraction of the price - Paula's Choice body butter. As I remembered this is about $70 Canadian. No way, no more.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

UPDATE: I have purchased the large tub as my 17 yr old, dry skinned daughter loves it too! I don’t know how, but this balm penetrates my skin and hydrates without ever feeling like it is too much. I typically wear something under it (right now I am trying CeraVe’s SA lotion in the a.m.) and my PC mineral sunscreen for dry skin (SPF 50) over and still...no clogged pores, no grease slicks and, best of all, no more foundation/bb/cc/tinted anything because, my skin looks so darn good!!

I have a condition called Ichthyosis Vulgaris. Essentially I have insanely dry skin. Add to this my 9 months of using Retin-A on my 51 year old skin and well...I NEED allllll the moisture! I’ve been using Clinique’s Rescue Night Time Moisturizer under my PC sunscreen in the mornings which was “ok”, but I still had flakey patches on my chin and sides of my mouth occasionally. At night, my Bepanthenol Intensiv cream was nice over my Retin-A, but sometimes, in the morning, I would wake up very dry. I like to still feel a slip of something on my face when I wake up. I noticed this while browsing my local Kiehl’s and asked for a sample of the balm to no avail. However, this time I threw caution to the wind and bought a tub blind. I thought a “balm” might be good for me as I was out of my Clinique. I normally avoid essential oils like the plague as I don’t want to risk irritation and there is lavender oil in this balm, but it is the last ingredient in it. The first night trying this over mt retin-a was OMG!!! Smoothing this balm on my skin is such a pure pleasure. I do feel a very slight medicinal/herbal tingle, but it doesn’t sting. My skin just sings with joy at the intense levels of moisturization. Nothing, and I mean nothing has ever done such a good job of keeping my skin soft and supple for 12-15 hours at a time! I can wear it in the am under sunscreen and while I am a tad shiny for a bit (I also spray Clinique’s Moisture Surge spray on too, after my makeup), I have stopped wearing foundation because my skin is hydrated and looks good!!! Fine lines are smoothed and everything looks much more plump and healthy. Using this at night works too! I wake up and still feel some on my face which is perfect! I’ve been using this twice a day for three weeks and I don’t have clogged pores either!!! Amazing! Normally, ultra rich moisturizers I have used in the past have left me with clogs and break outs. I will get the bigger tub next as I am sure I will it up easily. Big thumbs up for an excellent moisturizer for my freakishly dry skin!!!

Oh my gosh I love this cream. I'm 55 and my skin is dry and losing elasticity. This cream makes my skin feel supple, and firms it up. I've only been using a couple of days but my skin already looks and feels better. I also use the Creme de Elegance which I also like, but I think this balm has a more firming effect than the Elegance cream.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I'm on my second large jar of this balm and I can't even explain how much I just LOVE this product. I have dry skin and I live in the mountains, so my skin dries out in mere minutes without a deep moisturizer. Less is more with this, and I kind of warm a small amount in my hands before applying. It keeps my dry skin moisturized (along with a couple of other products) all day. I use this on my neck and decollete as well. I have yet to find a single product that keeps my skin comfortable all day; I have to use multiple moisturizers. This is the first product I have added to my routine where I was able to notice a difference in moisturization the first day. I use Josie Maran Argan Milk, this rescue balm, and Laura Mercier Tinted Illuminating Moisturizer every morning. I know that's a lot of moisture, but my skin loves it!

This balm is wonderful for my dry skin. It is unscented, thick, and soothing. This isn't a balm in the sense that it is petroleum or oil-based though, it's more like a very, very thick dense cream that spreads like a balm. And as other reviewers has ve said, it help to warm up the product in your hand before applying to your face. It has a dewey finish, neither matte nor shiny. This is now my go-to night cream. I use it during the day when my skin is especially dry, but it's a bit thick for every day wear. I bought the large size and it will last me the entire year, I think.

The only thing I don't like about this is the slight stinging feeling I experience once in a while. I don't know what causes it, but I suspect it's an ingredient that this balm shares with the rest of the Ultra Facial moisturizer line, since they also cause a stinging sensation for me. However, the moisturizing benefits far outweigh the occasional stinging this causes, so I will continue to use and purchase this,

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Definitely the MOST hydrating and moisturizing face cream out there. I have tried almost everything out there, mostly high end. I recently discovered Kiehl's in my quest to find the most hydrating face cream since I am always super dry no matter what. I bought the Ultra Facial Cream which is really very nice, and I liked it and used up a whole jar- it lasted a long time and went a long way. I was impressed. But I knew I could definitely use something even more moisturizing, if there were anything out there that was... and then this! It is the most. It is so thick and so "balmy", and when you touch your skin after you apply it, it feels plump and moist and "cool" if you know what feeling I am talking about. It feels plump with moisture. I love it! It's approximately $27 for 1.7oz and $56 for the larger jar. A little goes a very long way, so it's a great value, especially being that I can be done with my seemingly endless search! Very, very happy. Go get a sample- Kiehl's people love to give out samples.