Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

on 5/28/2017 11:29:00 PM

I'm disappointed in Tarte cosmetics. I have religiously used their Amazonian Clay Waterproof foundation circa 2011-2012 along with the Smooth Operator loose powder and it was always absolutely flawless. The powder did soften my skin over time and I was impressed. I have combination dry skin and I needed a powder that was gentle on my dry areas. I purchased and repurchased and repurchased until recently.

Back in 2012, the cover of the powder was clear with green leaves surrounding the logo. The powder was very fine in appearance and soft to the touch. I checked the ingredients before I purchased and they were:
Silica, Dehydroacetic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Kaolin, Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride

Recently I repurchased another powder with the new Tarte design on the lid. I never bothered to notice the new texture in the powder but it was much thicker in appearance compared to the old formula. I've purchased the powder several times since the redesign and I never checked the ingredients until a few weeks ago and found out that there's a good amount of talc in the ingredients as well as ingredients I've never seen before:
Silica, talc, polymethylsilsesquioxane, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone, kaolin

Before I realized the new ingredients existed, I tried the pressed powder version for fun and it was incredibly drying. If I remember correctly, it contained talc at the time (currently does not) and I returned it.

Could they be sellouts?

on 4/17/2017 5:49:00 PM

I am really liking this, but it is the first loose setting powder I have used, so there may be better out there. It does help my foundation and concealer stay, and doesn't really add too much of a matte look or too much of a glowy look. It is more of a natural finish. What I really like is how it makes adding powder products easier. When I use this, my blush and bronzer goes on so smoothly and blends super easily. This is definitely more of a high maintenance product, as it gets messy and adds time to my routine, but I do like it for when I want a done up look.

Unfortunately, this powder made my undereyes look dry and cakey. I have combo skin. My nose and undereye can get a bit oily while everywhere else is normal. I look for a smooth, creamy powder that won't crease. This powder was chalky, dry, and left a weird residue on my skin. The packaging is also quite messy. Every time I open it, powder goes everywhere. I love other tarte products, but this one did not work for my skin type.

on 8/11/2016 11:17:00 PM

Translucent setting powder that's easy to apply albeit slightly messy. I found that this didn't improve the wear time of my makeup and made my t-zone shinier faster while drying out my cheeks and forehead. I used this product for the last couple of years with better success and just recently had the above-mentioned problem. Maybe Tarte recently reformulated and I didn't realize?

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really had sworn off powders of any kind for my face. They look cakey, settle into fine lines no matter how little I use or what brush I use, they just always are a hot mess for me. But I do like the airbrushed look they can give and I do get oily in my T-zone sometimes during the day.

The sample version of this was set out on the counter at Ulta and I felt it was my destiny to try it, lol..

I applied it with the It Cosmetics #108 brush and I expected the usual dulling of skin, even a white cast, looking like it was 'sitting' on my skin..but I got none of that with this, in fact, I almost danced over to pick one up to purchase!! It did not give me the dreaded white cast and instantly made my skin look and feel smoother, not heavy or made up nor cakey at all!!

This also does not dump a ton of product out at a time. In fact I usually have to give a good 3 shakes to get any out at all, so I appreciate that. No worries about powder getting all over my vanity, my clothes, etc... Maybe some are really neat about applying their loose powders, but I have tried the tricks and it still usually seems to go everywhere. This does not do that, very pleased!! This is also the first white powder (or translucent, for that matter!!) that I have ever used that does not leave a white cast, and I am currently tanned!!!

I get no scent with this and no kick-up of powder that sometimes irritates my nose. Absolutely no irritation to my sensitive skin. I even forget that I have it on!!

But what really pleases me about this is it seems to smooth out fine lines and blur my pores. As I have gotten older (age 45), my pores look like a strawberry. This blurs my pores and I honestly feel and look 25 again. I had pretty much given up on any powders to do that for me. It also evens out my skin tone.

This is just a workhorse of a product for me, and it sits there quietly and unassumingly on my shelf. Basic packaging, nothing too frilly or loud or 'look at me, ain't I special!!!' yet this works like a charm and makes me look and feel better. I am not one to claim a product to be a miracle product, I always balk when I see commercials when I see women talking about 'miracle' products, but I would say this is just about a miracle product for me.

I even bought an extra It Cosmetics #108 brush just for this, because I figured it went on so nicely in the store with it, that I wanted to have my own brush just for this product.

This is also easy to use. I just dab the big fluffy brush into the powder and brush lightly over my skin. None of those 'tricks' of 'pushing' the powder into your skin or any other crazy 'tricks'..just a powder used how a powder should be used..no gimmicks or tricks. But beautiful results.

on 2/25/2016 12:10:00 PM

I've only ever tried this and one other loose finishing powder. My first was ELF HD Loose powder and it lasted me well over a year and costed $3.

Tarte (also being my first MID end powder) cost $36 (i think) and although its generous in size its a bit smaller than the ELF one. I feel the Tarte was much more finely milled and the packaging is much more attractive. I didn't notice a scent. It does a good job at mattifing but not mask like, it leaves more of a natural finish. Like if i use a dewy foundation i still look glowy after applying this. I'm not too oily but my forehead can be at times and this does a good job at controlling oils. It also does a good job at setting my under eye concealer.

I'm also obsessed with using this to set my eyeshadow primer and my eyeshadows don't budge and last all day (12 hours +) and thats using ANY eye shadow formula or primer.

i really like this stuff. Not sure if i would repurchase, as i might want to try a HE loose powder just to compare next time. But if HE gives me the same results i would just use this because of the $.

Don't get me wrong I love this product. It's a very light-weight powder and is amazing to bake with. But if you're going somewhere and going to take a lot of flash photography.. DO NOT USE THIS!!! The powder will show up in the flash and it will look HORRIBLE. For everyday wear when you're not going to be taking pictures, use this it's amazing. But don't use this to take flash photos. It looks horrible.

on 8/3/2015 8:34:00 PM

I swore I'd never touch another Tarte product after having so many epic fails, mostly due to the products causing acne...not just any acne, but painful and throbbing cystic acne. I'm not even sure why I didn't toss this product in the garbage from the get-go after having these experiences. This was free, it was a deluxe sample I received from Sephora with something or another. With that being said, I can't really comment on the packaging as it was a sample size sifter container. However, it lives up to it's claims. This powder is silky smooth to apply, and when using a kabuki brush, it doesn't take much of the product to cover your face well. I feel like I'll never run out of this sample sized product at this rate! It keeps my foundation looking matte much longer than any powder I've tried. It does have a minimal effect on smoothing/blurring imperfections as well. It doesn't seem to cause acne for me which is a huge plus. I would have to agree with some of the reviewers who have claimed that it leaves a white cast after application, and it does but it lasts only moments before it assimilates to your face. Overall, I'm glad I didn't toss this sample and actually gave it a good try!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder and I have been using it for about 5 years now. My skin has dry patches but can also get oily and this powder really evens out both textures without emphasizing the dry skin. It also feels really good on the skin and I don't really find that I need to re-apply during the day. Even on days where I'm staying in sometimes I will apply this to control my oil and keep pimples from developing. One thing that sucks is that they changed the packaging since I started using it, before it just had one little hole in the middle and you had to smack the container to get the product out but at least it made it last forever. Now whenever I open the lid I always end up spilling some or putting too much on my brush which drives me mad because it's so damn expensive in Canada and a little works better than too much.

I bought this on a whim, I was looking for the Makeup Forever Setting Powder but Ulta doesn't carry Makeup Forever, so I decided to give this one a try. Realllllly glad I did!

I paid about $30 for it, which isn't too bad considering I have read that it will last a long time, and a little does go a long way with this stuff. Its like putting velvet on your face, omg, its so smooth and I really feel its helps blur my pores in a huge way! I did combine it with the Tarte Pore minimizing Primer, so I am sure that helped a little too. But this finishing powder is well worth the money and I am really loving how its making my makeup look. My only real complaint is the packaging, it sucks. The lid get loose really easily and I am so scared it going to open up and make a mess, and well its so finely milled its all over the place on the inside of the package, I sure hope Tarte improves this aspect of the product.

Overall, its a definite must try!!