Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.4

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

I got this in Ipsy and I liked it. I have found a duplicate which is ELF translucent mineral powder. I used this to set my concealer and it did the job however not liking the price and I will not repurchase because of the price. I do understand this is a high end product though, so maybe high end just isn't for me considering I am a cheapo. This was a good product and for anyone who doesn't mind spending a decent amount of money on makeup, this is the product for you if you are wanting a translucent loose powder.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product is something magical. My face is usually drenched in oil after 4 hours, but with this I'm at hour 6 and I don't have any oil peeking through my foundation. It has also kept my foundation in place, no clumping here! Definitely replacing this with my MAC Blot Powder!

To Read all 22 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really had sworn off powders of any kind for my face. They look cakey, settle into fine lines no matter how little I use or what brush I use, they just always are a hot mess for me. But I do like the airbrushed look they can give and I do get oily in my T-zone sometimes during the day.

The sample version of this was set out on the counter at Ulta and I felt it was my destiny to try it, lol..

I applied it with the It Cosmetics #108 brush and I expected the usual dulling of skin, even a white cast, looking like it was 'sitting' on my skin..but I got none of that with this, in fact, I almost danced over to pick one up to purchase!! It did not give me the dreaded white cast and instantly made my skin look and feel smoother, not heavy or made up nor cakey at all!!

This also does not dump a ton of product out at a time. In fact I usually have to give a good 3 shakes to get any out at all, so I appreciate that. No worries about powder getting all over my vanity, my clothes, etc... Maybe some are really neat about applying their loose powders, but I have tried the tricks and it still usually seems to go everywhere. This does not do that, very pleased!! This is also the first white powder (or translucent, for that matter!!) that I have ever used that does not leave a white cast, and I am currently tanned!!!

I get no scent with this and no kick-up of powder that sometimes irritates my nose. Absolutely no irritation to my sensitive skin. I even forget that I have it on!!

But what really pleases me about this is it seems to smooth out fine lines and blur my pores. As I have gotten older (age 45), my pores look like a strawberry. This blurs my pores and I honestly feel and look 25 again. I had pretty much given up on any powders to do that for me. It also evens out my skin tone.

This is just a workhorse of a product for me, and it sits there quietly and unassumingly on my shelf. Basic packaging, nothing too frilly or loud or 'look at me, ain't I special!!!' yet this works like a charm and makes me look and feel better. I am not one to claim a product to be a miracle product, I always balk when I see commercials when I see women talking about 'miracle' products, but I would say this is just about a miracle product for me.

I even bought an extra It Cosmetics #108 brush just for this, because I figured it went on so nicely in the store with it, that I wanted to have my own brush just for this product.

This is also easy to use. I just dab the big fluffy brush into the powder and brush lightly over my skin. None of those 'tricks' of 'pushing' the powder into your skin or any other crazy 'tricks'..just a powder used how a powder should be used..no gimmicks or tricks. But beautiful results.

on 2/28/2016 3:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have never purchased Tarte Cosmetics before now and I love the. The finishing powder adds the best finishing touches. Help the skin look very pretty.

on 2/25/2016 12:10:00 PM

I've only ever tried this and one other loose finishing powder. My first was ELF HD Loose powder and it lasted me well over a year and costed $3.

Tarte (also being my first MID end powder) cost $36 (i think) and although its generous in size its a bit smaller than the ELF one. I feel the Tarte was much more finely milled and the packaging is much more attractive. I didn't notice a scent. It does a good job at mattifing but not mask like, it leaves more of a natural finish. Like if i use a dewy foundation i still look glowy after applying this. I'm not too oily but my forehead can be at times and this does a good job at controlling oils. It also does a good job at setting my under eye concealer.

I'm also obsessed with using this to set my eyeshadow primer and my eyeshadows don't budge and last all day (12 hours +) and thats using ANY eye shadow formula or primer.

i really like this stuff. Not sure if i would repurchase, as i might want to try a HE loose powder just to compare next time. But if HE gives me the same results i would just use this because of the $.

on 2/24/2016 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

OMG YES. This works so well. I can't believe I ever used other powders. This is so matte and the coverage is so good. It balances out my foundation flawlessly. I just bought another and when the dude at Sephora said he thinks they may have ran out, I was like "oh girl, no. not today. I need this powder" He went in the back and found me one. CRACK!

Don't get me wrong I love this product. It's a very light-weight powder and is amazing to bake with. But if you're going somewhere and going to take a lot of flash photography.. DO NOT USE THIS!!! The powder will show up in the flash and it will look HORRIBLE. For everyday wear when you're not going to be taking pictures, use this it's amazing. But don't use this to take flash photos. It looks horrible.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is probably the best powder I've used for my mostly oily, sensitive skin. I've been using this powder for almost 4 years now and the formula has changed but it's still the best in terms of oil-control and one of the best for smoothing out my large pores.

Pros:
-best oil-control I've used in a powder (old formula was even better at oil-control but still beats other powders in the new formulation)
-smooths out texture, lines and pores very nicely (I see a huge difference in the way my pores look when I use this versus other powders, one of the best powders for this purpose)
-gives a super smooth and silky feel to your skin. bronzer, blush and highlight glide and blend over it nicely
-sets foundation really well even with a small amount, leaves no tackiness behind from foundation
-lightweight
-very finely milled
-non-irritating, doesn't break me out
-makes makeup last amazingly (does this better than other powders. makes it very resistant to water and sweat)
-gives an airbrushed almost flawless, soft-focus effect
-cruelty free, vegan

Cons:
-can be drying/dehydrating (but not as much as the old formula. This powder is much better for oily, combo skin)
-not the best for setting concealer around your eyes (only due to it being a bit too mattifying, I prefer Nars Light Reflecting loose powder for my undereyes)
-cannot "bake" with it (you should avoid baking with all silica-based powders to prevent flash back)
-can leave behind a somewhat powdery look if not blended in properly
-can emphasize dryness and flakiness (if you prep the skin well it won't happen)

Back when my skin was very dry, I disliked this powder because it was way too mattifying on my skin. Now, that my skin is mostly oily again, I love it. I try a lot of powders from high end to drugstore, both silica and talc based and I always come back to this. It's smooth, lasts and controls oil, blurs pores, lightweight, sets foundation perfectly and gives a really nice finish. It does everything I need in a powder. Most powders either look really beautiful on the skin but it doesn't last or it controls oil and lasts well but doesn't look very nice on. This does it all.

on 10/16/2015 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been looking for a good powder for a while now, and I decided to splurge on this one. It's the first time I bought a higher end powder, and I am so glad I did. I use this powder over my liquid foundation (Benefit's Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow), and it keeps me matte all day. I put it on at 6:30AM and it lasts until I take it off at 9:30PM. It looks natural and feels weightless on my face. Plus it makes my skin feel so soft!
I'm still hurting a little from the cost of this. I expect I could find a similar product for a few dollars less, but I haven't yet. Also, the packaging isn't great. I haven't had any spills, but the cap sort of creaks when I close it. I think I might break it if I'm not careful.

on 9/2/2015 2:20:00 AM

i was so disappointed because I love this product so much but unfortunately the packaging was what killed this for me. The powder got everywhere to the point that I couldn't use it anymore.