Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.2

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

on 4/17/2017 5:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am really liking this, but it is the first loose setting powder I have used, so there may be better out there. It does help my foundation and concealer stay, and doesn't really add too much of a matte look or too much of a glowy look. It is more of a natural finish. What I really like is how it makes adding powder products easier. When I use this, my blush and bronzer goes on so smoothly and blends super easily. This is definitely more of a high maintenance product, as it gets messy and adds time to my routine, but I do like it for when I want a done up look.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this to set my makeup for the day. This is something to instantly lock in your makeup before leaving home, not something to touch up with on the go. It's so fine and makes your foundation/concealer instantly matte and smooth. If any liquid products are a little sticky and hard to set on their own this is a good product. If you use too much it can look a little chalky or white but after melting into my skin for a few minutes it goes away completely. A little messy as well (what kind of loose powder isn't though lol) but is a really good product for any girls out there that like to bake. Expensive, yet so worth it.

Unfortunately, this powder made my undereyes look dry and cakey. I have combo skin. My nose and undereye can get a bit oily while everywhere else is normal. I look for a smooth, creamy powder that won't crease. This powder was chalky, dry, and left a weird residue on my skin. The packaging is also quite messy. Every time I open it, powder goes everywhere. I love other tarte products, but this one did not work for my skin type.

on 3/26/2017 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Before this, I only wore translucent loose powder to mattify my makeup, which Mac does reasonably well. But Tarte takes it to a whole new level. When I wear this, my skin looks flawless and airbrushed. It also sets my under eye concealer very well and leaves it uncreased for 4 hours - no mean feat considering I have horrendous eye bags and wrinkles. This is what I call a hardworking powder.

on 11/4/2016 2:43:00 PM

This is amazing! I like light coverage, so I use this with the Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Cream, and it doesn't look powder-y at all. It just kind of sets the BB cream underneath and gives it more of a matte finish. It also makes my makeup last longer!

on 9/11/2016 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got a deluxe sample of this product as part of a 500 pt perk and it lasted me about two years of using it to set my under eye concealer.

This is a really great product. I don't have a lot of experience with setting powders but this one did a great job preventing my concealer from caking and settling into the fine lines underneath my eye. It also never looked powdery on my tan skin, but deftly took care of any shiny-ness if I was oily or happened to over apply the highlighter.

The only problem with it is that it's messy. If I repurchased, I would probably get the compact rather than the loose powder and see if that works better for me. Right now, however, I'm using a beige urban decay eyeshadow to set my under eye and that's working just fine.

on 8/11/2016 11:17:00 PM

Translucent setting powder that's easy to apply albeit slightly messy. I found that this didn't improve the wear time of my makeup and made my t-zone shinier faster while drying out my cheeks and forehead. I used this product for the last couple of years with better success and just recently had the above-mentioned problem. Maybe Tarte recently reformulated and I didn't realize?

I got this in Ipsy and I liked it. I have found a duplicate which is ELF translucent mineral powder. I used this to set my concealer and it did the job however not liking the price and I will not repurchase because of the price. I do understand this is a high end product though, so maybe high end just isn't for me considering I am a cheapo. This was a good product and for anyone who doesn't mind spending a decent amount of money on makeup, this is the product for you if you are wanting a translucent loose powder.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product is something magical. My face is usually drenched in oil after 4 hours, but with this I'm at hour 6 and I don't have any oil peeking through my foundation. It has also kept my foundation in place, no clumping here! Definitely replacing this with my MAC Blot Powder!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really had sworn off powders of any kind for my face. They look cakey, settle into fine lines no matter how little I use or what brush I use, they just always are a hot mess for me. But I do like the airbrushed look they can give and I do get oily in my T-zone sometimes during the day.

The sample version of this was set out on the counter at Ulta and I felt it was my destiny to try it, lol..

I applied it with the It Cosmetics #108 brush and I expected the usual dulling of skin, even a white cast, looking like it was 'sitting' on my skin..but I got none of that with this, in fact, I almost danced over to pick one up to purchase!! It did not give me the dreaded white cast and instantly made my skin look and feel smoother, not heavy or made up nor cakey at all!!

This also does not dump a ton of product out at a time. In fact I usually have to give a good 3 shakes to get any out at all, so I appreciate that. No worries about powder getting all over my vanity, my clothes, etc... Maybe some are really neat about applying their loose powders, but I have tried the tricks and it still usually seems to go everywhere. This does not do that, very pleased!! This is also the first white powder (or translucent, for that matter!!) that I have ever used that does not leave a white cast, and I am currently tanned!!!

I get no scent with this and no kick-up of powder that sometimes irritates my nose. Absolutely no irritation to my sensitive skin. I even forget that I have it on!!

But what really pleases me about this is it seems to smooth out fine lines and blur my pores. As I have gotten older (age 45), my pores look like a strawberry. This blurs my pores and I honestly feel and look 25 again. I had pretty much given up on any powders to do that for me. It also evens out my skin tone.

This is just a workhorse of a product for me, and it sits there quietly and unassumingly on my shelf. Basic packaging, nothing too frilly or loud or 'look at me, ain't I special!!!' yet this works like a charm and makes me look and feel better. I am not one to claim a product to be a miracle product, I always balk when I see commercials when I see women talking about 'miracle' products, but I would say this is just about a miracle product for me.

I even bought an extra It Cosmetics #108 brush just for this, because I figured it went on so nicely in the store with it, that I wanted to have my own brush just for this product.

This is also easy to use. I just dab the big fluffy brush into the powder and brush lightly over my skin. None of those 'tricks' of 'pushing' the powder into your skin or any other crazy 'tricks'..just a powder used how a powder should be used..no gimmicks or tricks. But beautiful results.