Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Miracle Complexion Sponge

Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman  Miracle Complexion Sponge

4.2

on 5/15/2017 11:40:00 PM

I've owned both a cheap, knock off version of a beauty blender sponge and a real beauty blender. They both are awesome. This real techniques one is awful though. It's a completely different texture with a smoother feeling. Which makes it not as good at blending or achieving that great finish that beauty sponges are known for.

My favorite makeup sponge ever. Just clean and it lasts up to 3 months. Less than $5 and worth it!

on 5/15/2017 1:38:00 PM

I've never owned the official beauty blender, but I bought this because it was reviewed everywhere as being the next best thing, a close dupe. Hmmmm....
I don't know, but this is not my favourite sponge. I have other sponges from Quo and even some I found at the Dollar Store for $2.50 that I like better. I bought this in a two-pack for about $14 CDN I think. Last night I came across a YouTube review where the girl was ranting that the RT sponges in the two-pack were not the same quality as buying a single one of these, and that if you compare, the color is slightly different, a lighter shade of orange. So I'll be clear in stating I'm reviewing the value pack sponges, and I don't know if they changed the sponge or what...something to look into...
I reach for this sponge the least, mainly because I find it holds too much water. I squeeze it out really well and then even use a paper towel to blot the excess-I even resorted to wringing it out in a bath towel at one point...but its still always SO wet. Which does not help apply my makeup very well at all, and I usually end up having to use more product, try blending with my fingers a bit, or reaching for another sponge. Its also hard to get stains out of this which is not a problem I have with my Quo sponges. I also find this to be a bit too firm. If you live in Canada and are looking for an inexpensive makeup sponge, seriously, try the Quo mini blending sponges-they come in a 3 pack for $10 and are perfect for blending out concealer under the eyes...way better than this silly thing. I will continue on my quest to find the HG full size inexpensive beauty blender dupe...meanwhile wondering if this thing is going to get mouldy on me since it holds onto water like nobodies business!!!

on 5/1/2017 4:07:00 AM

Love this sponge ! I go between this and the beauty blender and I love them both equally the same. The real techniques one is softer or lighter and easier to clean. Definitely recommend!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I don't know why this isn't working for me. I've used it in the past but after having several beauty blenders and now trying this again I really don't feel the same as when I use a BB. So sad I can't was hoping to spend less money from now on but it doesn't apply foundation smoothly and it just takes up way too much product instead of spreading it on the skin it just picks it up.

on 4/30/2017 10:43:00 PM

Fantastic beauty blender and works very well dry. I press liquid foundation into the skin and it gives a flawless result. Very little product left on the sponge and I use high end products so this is important to me. Would definitely buy again and recommend, a very inexpensive, easy to use and effective everyday tool!

on 4/30/2017 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am really late to the game when it comes to newfangled brushes and sponges, so it might just be that I have nothing to compare it to. But I love this. It makes my BB cream go on much smoother, and it helps me target problem areas. I have super acne-prone, reactive skin, but this hasn't caused any irritation or breakouts. (However, I wash mine every few days with a mixture of soap and betadine.)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this for foundation, concealer and more recently baking. It has the perfect angle for either application and if I was ever in a pinch this little gem would do it all for me. It cleans really easy too and looks bright orange every time unlike other sponges that permanently have product stuck inside.

on 4/16/2017 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this beauty sponge a week ago and on the first wash it go a big tear on the side. Also, it did not matter how much effort I put into cleaning it because it never looked clean. It is stain by my foundation and I don't like that. I didn't see it helped with a flawless application either. Dry or wet, it was difficult to blend my foundation into my skin.
I won't buy this sponge again. I think that it doesn't hold to the job or to the wash. I guess, I got what I paid for.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I will agree with everyone else that the inconsistency in users' experiences seems a bit strange—more so than just expected variation in opinion, especially given some users' different experiences with units over the years. (The fact they're individually handmade was an interesting tidbit, whoever posted that.)

That said, I've had *very, very good luck* with these sponges so far.

I started using sponges because I was dissatisfied with the results from my foundation brushes. Of course, the first sponge I tried, other than the latex wedges of my preteen years, was the BeautyBlender via the two-for-$30 pack (before the company started making Minis and Pros and whatever the heck this Bubble thing is that looks exactly like what the manufacturer says an original BeautyBlender looks like when it needs replacing). I always considered the cost a little ridiculous. Not so much because I didn't have the money—I didn't in the grander scheme of things, but that's never stopped me—but because it's a sponge. That's supposed to be replaced every three months (and rightfully so because sponges are hotbeds of bacteria). Even with the amazing, innovative, product-saving technology everyone talked about—which turned out to be 1) wet, 2) squeeze, 3) blot, 4) use on face—$20 a pop still seemed excessive. But! It worked as promised; I won't deny that. Then I lost one. And then the second began to look like a prototype for the BeautyBlender Bubble (and I didn't even wash it as often as I probably should have, but it was probably my fault for not saving the equally innovative plastic packaging on which I was supposed to store and dry my prize).

*** This is where you read if you have little time and/or patience ***

So, I'm randomly spending five hours in the Target* beauty department one day and decide to pick up the Real Techniques sponges. I've heard a lot of good things about RT, I need sponges, and I can get a pack of two for $12. (Heck, it might have been $11.) They look similar enough and I like that flat end—I can probably find a use for that.

The first thing I notice when I take one out of the package is that it feels firmer than the BB when dry. The RT sponge is denser and less porous, which is noticeable after it is wetted, as well. As such, it does not expand in size quite as much, though there is a noticeable difference.

Wet, the RT sponge has a nice, smooth feel to it. It's soft, but sturdy. Compared to a wet BB, it's quicker to spring back when pressed (like elastic, hydrated skin); it gives the RT sponge a sense of durability greater than that of the more expensive option, IMO. I've even kept up with washing these ones relatively well (pretty much before each use with Dr. Bronner's)—and don't feel the need to be as gentle, both because of their quality and price point—and haven't experienced any noticeable tearing or crumbling. They've lost the tiniest bit of elasticity since I've bought them, but are holding up at a comparatively better rate than my BBs did.

Application-wise, I call the two sponges even. In my opinion, there's no discernible difference as to result or the time it takes to reach it. Just in case it's not implied or anyone's unfamiliar with the BB: this is positive. Product blends easily and evenly with a stippling motion. Like the BB, the pointed end is good for areas around the eyes and nose. The rounded sides of both sponges work just fine, but I do enjoy having the flat end on the RT for working on the forehead and cheeks. (Common sense: greater surface area of the sponge making contact with the face at one time, less time required to cover the surface area of the face.) It's also a useful shape for baking. That leaves the sides product-free to soak up or add product if/when the flat end reaches the point where it needs washing.

Because I feel the RT is denser (and because it cleans more easily), I'd like to think it absorbs less product, but I haven't gone out of my way to compare. That said, as a person, I am pretty bothered by inconsistency, so if there were a significant change in product usage, I'd likely have noticed without effort.

I do not recall the RT package providing explicit instructions on how to wet, squeeze, repeat until saturated, then blot like the BB does. IIRC, it says the sponge can be used wet and mentions a link to further instructions. For someone not familiar with the BB process or makeup sponges, I suppose this could make for an awkward first application. It also doesn't come with the fancy drying device, so . . . - .99 and .01 packaging lippies, respectively.

(And this is where you stop. *But, note: do not EVER make the mistake of buying an Up+Up sponge because you're in Target and you kind of need a sponge and someone left it in the checkout area—fate!—and it's a store brand, so it must be cheap . . . because NOT CHEAPER and JUST APPLY YOUR MAKEUP WITH OLD FRENCH BREAD.)

Popular Misc Beauty Tools