Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.5

on 11/29/2016 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

(For reference, I'm an NC15 skin tone)

After people raved about this palette, I was so excited to get it, but 6 months later, I'm still not impressed with it. There are three shades in the palette, which I'll review individually;

Dim light- this powder is fine and doesn't cake at all, but I have to be VERY light handed with it or it seems to remove my foundation/excessively bronze me. You probably won't have this problem if you're not ridiculously pale

Incandescent light- if Satan was a powder, this would be the one. Once again it's quite fine, but has more glitter than sheen to it; I find the glitter in it to be quite chunky, so it doesn't work as a powder or as a highlight unless you like the chunky glitter look. It's quite dusty too, so wouldn't work as an eyeshadow.

Radiant light- this powder is far too orange-toned for me, so I can find absolutely no use for it. It might be more effective for someone with an olive skin tone.

All in all, I don't find anything particularly impressive about this palette, nor do I find it versatile. It could potentially be good for someone who isn't as pale as me, but I really don't see what the hype is about. For the size of the palette, I think the price (£58) is ridiculous.

I'd say the main positive is the packaging, which is sleek and has a good sized mirror. Everything else is rather average.

on 7/28/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The formula of the Ambient Lighting powders is really worth the moderately-high $62 price point. Each of the three powders are very finely milled and will not settle into fine lines or become cakey after wearing throughout the day. And although I find that this palette does not function as a traditional highlighting palette (think: ABH glow-kit or the Mary-Lou Manizer), I find that each shade works in a completely different, subtle, and successful way.

Dim: To set concealer and foundation, I lightly sweep Dim all over my base with a fluffy powder brush. The Dim Light powder subtly softens and illuminates the appearance of the skin without looking powdery or shimmery.

Incandescent: Of the three, this shade most closely resembles a highlighter and is perfect for setting the undereye area. I also use Incandescent on top of my blush for a soft, airbrushed glow.

Radiant: Because I have very pale skin and this shade is darker than my skin tone, I use this powder around the perimeter of my face as a very subtle, glowy bronzer.

Unfortunately, I do not often use the Radiant Light powder as the color is a bit too dark for me. For this reason, I would not repurchase the palette but would instead buy full-sized singles of Dim and Incandescent.

on 7/3/2016 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is such a hard product to get hold of in the UK so I had high hopes for it when I did. I wasn't disappointed. I use a large fan brush and dust all colours all over my face for a beautiful candlelit glow- it doesn't make my very oily skin look greasy which was a concern, it just works. NB. I don't use this as a setting powder - for that I use LM or RCMA, but I dust it on top to get rid of the horrid aging mattifying effect of powder. It really really works and is a definite repurchase despite the price. Update: It is now a year later and despite using this every day I am not even halfway down - so realistically it's very good value for money despite the initial outlay.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is expensive as all hell, but absolutely fantastic. I have the limited edition Christmas palette which has three other shades in it, but to be honest, being very pale these are the three I use every day. I bought a couple of the brushes to use specifically with it after a few weeks: this being talc-free, my usual brushes weren't picking it up. This is annoying, but the palette leaves your skin looking so phenomenally good that it's worth it. Even though I am now almost entirely bankrupt. These powders are a total joy.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

this was one of the pricier m/u items i've ever bought (i did at least get a discount on it) but it is 3 products in 1 & i love it. i'm very fair (~nc10) & i wasn't sure this would be right for me as it's probably designed for more light-medium skin tones. but the shades in this palette add some soft color & life into my face without being too much. i've never used a bronzer bc they all look like they'd go muddy on me but dim light is like the perfect soft, sheer bronzer for pale skin. radiant light makes a lovely luminous apricot blush & incandescent light is a nice highlighter, glowy but subtle. i think this will be great for summery looks & i would def check out more of the ambient lighting powders.

on 1/21/2016 5:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have separate reviews for all the Ambient Lighting Powders, so I'm mostly going to touch on the shade exclusive to this palette - Incandescent Light. This is a whitish pearly champagne shade that I use as a soft highlight. The other shades are HG as well, Dim Light being my favorite, and they all can be used in different ways from setting powders to highlights.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this from the VIB Rouge sale last year (2014) from Sephora.com & I kno it was ridic expensive, it's the most expensive makeup item I own...hourglass really does feel like such a luxury brand (I own 2 Hourglass items 1 being this palette & the other is their lip oil which was also ridic like $41 iirc but I had a mini lipstick I did manage to lose...). I'd love to try some of their other products but w it being so cost prohibitive it's just turned me off from buying from this line. IT WORKS! It's stunning in its subtle improvement this makes on my face. Some hi-lite are all sparklies & this is a sheen like glow of youth that glitter cannot imitate & glitter usually looks like enlarged pores/greasiness on my exteme oily skin but this does not. I have used it ALOT since I got it (at least 3-4x/wk) & not hit pan on any colors.I'll repurchase a single not the palette (thou irdk which 1) becoz I'm a frugal gal & this palette isn't a good deal. At least I got to try 3 of the powders which is a good way 2 C how I liked them w/o buying 3 singles & not being able to experiment. I think every person who is really into makeup should go for it & buy one ridic frivolous makeup item ev so often if ur gonna get a lot of use out of it, it makes it no longer that frivolous! 1 lippy "off" 4 packaging coz anything this $$$ should come w a decent brush. It would make it more portable/better for touch ups/travel.

on 2/7/2015 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love it! No animal testing (thankyou Hourglass as this has started to be a dealbreaker for me) and all three colours in the palette are purrrfect! I purchased it with a Christmas voucher and if I could walk around with a handmirror to admire myself - I would! But don't/can't. I use the Radiant Light ( hope I'm reading the names underneath in the correct order) lightly over my foundation with a big powder brush which wipes a few years off, then the middle one Incandescent across my eyelids with a fat eyeshadow brush and top of my cheekbones and cupid's bow then the Dim Light as a contour using a buffing brush. Takes 2 minutes, looks amazing and lasts all day. Someone at work actually said " what have you done? you look good" ( thanks I think!). I'm delighted! My skin colour is basic beige ( Chanel #30 usually during our Aussie summer), combination - oh forgot to say I'm not shining at lunchtime either now but I did reapply one night when I got home just to see it caked/got heavy/looked dreadful and it didn't. Its FABULOUS!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This compact is just amazeballs. I use Dim all over my face after foundation with either a fluffy synthetic face brush or a fan brush, then use Incandescent to set my under eye concealer and highlight the tops of my cheeks. I don't use the third color so much (can't even remember the name) because my skin is rather yellow (nc25) and it turns slightly orange on my skin. However, it's not altogether unflattering and does really well in a pinch to add color and life to a face that is tired (or hungover).

I have used this compact every day for the last two months and just started to hit pan in the Dim color. The fabulousness of this product is in its subtlety. No matter what foundation you use or you just want to put it on bare skin, you will have an air brushed finish. It's your skin...but better. The blurring effect people are talking about is definitely real.

I will 100% buy the Dim color in its own compact when I run out of the one in the trio. My only gripe about Hourglass is that they don't make Incandescent in its own compact. It is a great way to set concealer or all over foundation if you're fair. The texture of the powder is like silk and doesn't dry my already dry under eye area. Instead of a regular translucent powder, Incandescent just adds a little something extra that is subtly flattering in all kinds of light.

The best thing about Hourglass as a company is that they don't test on animals.

Spread the amazeballs people!

on 11/12/2014 2:00:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this, and the Ambient Blush palette during the Sephora VIB sale. The price --- very steep. This is probably one of the most expensive makeup products I've ever bought, but I decided to splurge. When I first opened it up, I was a little skeptical. The packaging is plastic; durable, but I feel that for the price, it should be more sturdy. It does collect fingerprints. But, it's pretty and sleek.

The powders themselves don't look like much, even when swatched. HOWEVER, when I tried this on my face... really beautiful. The first color, Dim Light, is what I use all over my face to set my foundation. I use a fluffy blush, and a little goes a long way. Next, I use Luminous Light to highlight (using the same fluffy brush) and it just adds a really pretty glow. If you're looking for a really intense, noticeable highlighter -- this is not it. It seems like people are expecting this to be very intense, but it's not. I also use a bit of this under my eyes to set my concealer. Next, I use Radiant Light as a bronzer of sorts, to sort of warm up my face (under cheekbones, down my nose, around temples) and it adds a lovely warmth to my fair skin, while still looking nice and not muddy, like most bronzers look on me.

This is about the 5th day I've used this stuff, and I can't get over how NICE it makes my skin look. I look so polished. I use it with the Ambient Lighting Blushes, and I think the combo is awesome.

So, like I said: Pricey, but I don't regret buying this stuff for a minute. It really makes my makeup look awesome. If you want to treat yourself, buy this! I feel that with daily use, it will last quite a while because a little really does go a long way.