Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation
Lock-It Powder FoundationLock-It Powder FoundationLock-It Powder FoundationLock-It Powder Foundation

3.8

Talc, Nylon-12, Mica, Kaolin, Isoamyllaurate, Magnesium Myristate, Dimethicone, Boron Nitride,Phenyl Trimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Polyester-4, 1,2-Hexanediol,Caprylyl Glycol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethiconol. May Contain:Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok- there are a lot of reviews talking about this powder being cakey. I can honestly say "you're right"- because you're applying it incorrectly. Because this foundation is very pigmented, and because there are certain ingredients that improve wear time and (to a certain degree) sweat resistance, it can very easily be over applied. When I first switched to this foundation, it was because I wanted full coverage to conceal my rosacea without having to use 3 different products (green color corrector, concealer and foundation). I was using the Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush- which is very dense and somewhat firm bristle texture. It picks up a lot of product very easily- and for this foundation that was just over-kill. It did look cakey and thick especially overt the pores on my cheeks. Because caked product means "stacked product," it was also very easily transferable to my collar and even my fingers. I decided to apply it with my Sephora Collection Classic Multitasker Brush #45 because it is softer, less dense, and allows more control over the amount of product that I pick up at once. The technique that seems to work best is to buff on a light layer of product, in circular strokes. Once I have an evenly blended layer, if I need more concealment over my broken capillaries (or the spots that I frequently flush) I gently pat with the (same brush) small amounts of product till it is just concealed, them buff/blend with circular motions till even. I also use Urban Decay setting spray (all three types work the same, and have the same active ingredients so it doesn't matter which one you choose). This results in very natural looking coverage for me. I get comments on how great and silky my skin looks, not how good my makeup looks. Give it a try.

on 1/26/2017 10:23:00 PM

I love how smooth this powder is and I also thought the coverage was good (buildable without looking too cakey). Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain this stuff broke me out. Normal breakouts for me happen right around my period and consist of 1-3 cystic pimples around my chin. While using Lock-It, my skin broke out in smaller pimples in various places, which is a classic reaction my skin has whenever I use something on it that it doesn't agree with. The color I had was definitely a bit too dark on me; I am NC15-NC20 in MAC and the Sephora associate had me try the Light 44 or 45, but I also felt it looked more orange-y as the day went on, so I guess it oxidizes on my skin. I may have tried the lightest shade, Light 42, but the pimples and oxidizing I experienced made me change my mind. I tried this foundation for somewhere between 3-5 days to make sure I really gave it a shot and I applied it using a Pro Flawless Airbrush Brush from Sephora. I felt the price was a bit, steep, too.

Summary:

Pros
-Smooth powder
-Nice, buildable coverage
-Lovely packaging

Cons
-Broke me out
-Oxidized
-Pricey

on 1/21/2017 6:59:00 PM

Ok, after MAC studio plus and G Armani powder, I thought I don't need to test drive yet another powder foundation ( have been kept doing that for the past 22 years!).

But I did. And finally. The color match here. 48! Neither MAC and GA have my colour, but close enough.

If The color selection MAC or GA provided don't fit you. Try this.

This gives more coverage than MAC or G Armani , which I can sheer it out a bit by using brush instead of sponge.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Not for this oily face! Looks very pretty initially, not a true matte but in between matte and satin. I thought it was slightly cakey even very lightly applied with a soft It Cosmetics brush but quickly became shiny even with a couple of different primers and sunscreens tried. Color applies lighter than it appears. Back to Sephora to exchange for my beloved MUFE DuoMat! Case was hard to open and heavy, too.

on 1/19/2017 3:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This compact powder is excellent and as it promises, provides full, flawless matte coverage. For those with aging and/or blotchy problematic skin who need the additional coverage, I highly recommend this product. Further, in my case, My skin tone and coloring is very fair leaning to the more pink under tone. Normally the brands have 2 choices in each color beginning with the lightest choices,,,pink under tones and yellow undertone. It is very difficult to find a good colour match for me because I usually need the 2nd lightest color in the selection but often its either too white, or too orange, which means none of the other choices will work because they get darker. not the case with this brand! My perfect color match was (light 49) and has a very slight transition toward a deeper hue which isnt noticable now (winter) but will take me through the summer when my skin tone becomes slightly darker without making me look anemic. Im thrilled with this compact in every way, it goes on smooth, looks natural without looking chalky, lasts ALL day and totally covers dark undereye circles so no need for any other concealer products underneath. Yes all this does come with a hefty price, with tax it cost me approx $48 bucks. My justification is that it will last a good few months since only one application per day is necessary. As the old saying goes...you get what you pay for

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This powder foundation is the cakiest I've ever used. I use it to lighten my foundation (double wear 1N2) as it is too dark for me and the powder claims to be transfer-proof and long wearing, a double no to that. I find this makes my makeup breakdown sooner and it transfers like crazy. Overall I am very disappointed in this product, cute packaging but it's like $50 aud and I can do better.
Never again Kat Von D, the lock it liquid foundation is as bad if not worse, extremely textured on the skin so from now on I will stay clear of her products.

on 9/7/2016 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Overall: 9/10

This powder has beautiful packaging, with kats artwork. The powder itself is silky soft and has medium coverage. It's buildable, you won't end up cakey easily. The shade range is excellent, i am NW13 and use the shade Light 44.

The only negative thing I have to say about this powder is that it is quite expensive and can emphasise dry patches. I would repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It's beautiful.... Just doesn't last in the tZone. Everywhere else amazing, but by the end of the day my t zone is an oily mess.

I bought Light 45 to replace my MAC studio fix powders.

Pros:
shade is in between MAC NC20-25
finely milled
buildable coverage

Cons:
softly pressed so lots of product gets kicked up
need to use a lot to get fuller coverage
drying
oxidizes/not long lasting

I wanted to see if it would oxidize so I wore MAC studio fix powder in NC30 on half of my face and Light 45 on the other half and took a nap. When I woke up and checked the mirror, Light 45 had turned into the same shade as the NC30 side except for a few small areas where it had settled into my pores. I like that the KVD foundation is in between NC20-25, but in every other aspect it's not as good as the MAC formula, so I think I will return it.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I like the color and coverage when I first put it on but it doesn't last very long. Better than other pressed powders I have tried. I will keep this until I find something better.