Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation

Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation
Lock-It Powder FoundationLock-It Powder FoundationLock-It Powder FoundationLock-It Powder Foundation

3.8

Talc, Nylon-12, Mica, Kaolin, Isoamyllaurate, Magnesium Myristate, Dimethicone, Boron Nitride,Phenyl Trimethicone, Zinc Stearate, Polyester-4, 1,2-Hexanediol,Caprylyl Glycol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethiconol. May Contain:Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake).

on 5/23/2018 3:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My first foundation ever and it's still my favorite. Very high coverage and a lot of the time I didn't even use a concealer. The package is super cute and convenient. Came with the best sponge ever. Quick application, applying all over my face a couple of times and done, unlike liquid foundation. Although the Light 49 I chose was slightly lighter than my ideal shade (didn't realize that when I tried it in store), and it can be cakey sometimes. Definitely not 24-hour wear...a few hours yes, but I have super oily skin so that's a factor. Still overall the best foundation I've ever tried, but the price tag is a bit too high (still lasted me a year though, but I didn't wear makeup often) so I'm looking for a drug store alternative.

(for reference: Nars shade Siberia/MAC Studiofix Powder N3 & NC15/Makeup Forever 113 Neutral Porcelain)

i've purchased this five times in Light 44. the coverage is excellent for my needs when i want more coverage than the above mentioned products. does not irritate or clog my combination sensitive reactive skin. rather pricey for a powder foundation but given how well it performs and the convenience of application/travel is totally worth it.

also photographs beautifully. went to a wedding last month, and in both indoor and outdoor settings my face looked fantastic in pictures. when it started to spit rain outside the powder did not have a weird streaky run-off effect - when i blotted my damp face off in the bathroom my skin looked gorgeous and i still had excellent coverage. did not need to reapply at all.

it's not often i sing the praises of a pressed powder foundation, having tried many, but this stuff is truly remarkable. i recommend going a shade lighter because as many have mentioned it does oxidise with wear.

on 5/16/2018 11:15:00 AM

First things first: Nothing compares to a good quality, well-blended liquid foundation set with powder. If you're expecting that level of results from any powder foundation, you're going to be disappointed. But sometimes you just want to look good with little effort--this will make that happen.

My skin: NC15, combo leaning oily, somewhat large pores on nose, a couple freckles and rare breakouts. I got light 45, and it's almost too dark/yellow, but "good enough." (Might try a different color next time).

It took me awhile to get the hang of applying this. I make sure my skincare is totally soaked in, and then apply a quick dusting with a kabuki to make sure it's a dry surface. Then, I use a leftover sponge from a discontinued UD powder foundation to pat on over my face. For me, that sponge works much better than the sponge it comes with to avoid a cakey look. This level of application blurs pores and evens out my skintone; it's enough to make my freckles less noticeable, but I don't think it would cover any major blemishes. I get a bit of oil control with this technique, but still I have to blot by lunch (but that's always true for me). I've also tried applying with just a kabuki, which gets a little bit of coverage, but no oil control whatsoever. The good thing about this is that you can reapply later in the day with a kabuki and look totally fresh again. This stuff can look a little cakey around the nose or up very close, but from a normal distance makes your skin look good but not too made up.

There's probably a better powder foundation out there, but this is pretty good if you have realistic expectations.

on 4/18/2018 11:22:00 PM

This is a fabulous looking foundation on me. Best I’ve tried in a LONG time. I’m 41 with very oily skin, rosacea and not terribly acne prone.

I can for sure wear this alone and most days in the winter I do. It applies quickly and beautifully, makes a lovely natural look but covers redness. Light to medium coverage IMO. No break down mid-day which puts it above many others. Lots of color options; 45 Warm is perfect on me in the cooler months. Very natural looking.

The MAJOR drawback is the price. It goes pretty quick.

It also lacks SPF which for at least 5 months out of the year sucks badly, unfortunately.

on 4/6/2018 2:21:00 PM

I've been using this for about half a year now and can finally form a real opinion on it. You can purchase this at Sephora for $35. This powder foundation comes in a total of 18 shades, but I find that the shade range caters mostly to paler complexions. It comes in a beautiful black compact and has 0.31 oz/9 g of product, and the compact comes with a puff underneath the foundation pan.

I have very oily skin that can sometimes get dry around the nose and chin area. I use this to give my skin extra coverage and to mattify my forehead. Whenever I get an acne scar and need to cover up marks, this foundation gives me the coverage I need. To get super full coverage, I use the puff to pat it on my skin after applying liquid foundation. I find that using the puff can sometimes cause the foundation to look powdery and not so seamless, so Mac Fix Plus fixes this issue of too much concentration of product on one area of the face. I bought a pack of makeup puffs at Walmart, so I recommend replacing those puffs every once in awhile. Whenever I don't need extreme coverage, I prefer to use a fluffy brush to lightly sweep this foundation on certain parts of my face. I usually only use it on my forehead and chin. It instantly mattifies and provides coverage...even when I apply just a little.

I do not think that people with very dry skin will like this foundation because it is quite mattifying. If you moisturize and prime well, it sits very nicely on the skin and holds up very well throughout the day. It's quite expensive, so I am still looking for an affordable drugstore powder foundation. I REALLY like it though...it does what it's supposed to do and makes my skin look flawless.

on 8/31/2017 12:42:00 PM

I really like this powder foundation, I made the mistake of going to dark so I can't actually return but I did try this out and it is a very good PF, it provides medium to full coverage and conceals well, I didn't find it too powdery or cakey, it was just a smooth matte finish. My fav PF is mac studio fix power Plus foundation but I would definitely go for this one if the studio fix ever got discontinued.

on 4/29/2017 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like the powder bettet than the liquid. The shades are spot on, too. This makes my face flawless. Good in warm weather, too. No problem with cakey or accenting lines. Getting the shade right and application makes all the difference!

on 4/24/2017 11:17:00 PM

I found it didn't look smooth. It was cakey and powdery looking on. Not as great of coverage as I would have liked either

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I don't recommend this powder. It looks good when you put it on but as the day goes on it gets splotchy and orange in places. The color gets more orange as the day goes on.

on 2/28/2017 1:49:00 PM

FINALLY a decent powder foundation has entered my life. This product actually has coverage. I repeat - coverage.

What's good about that, aside from the obvious, is that you can apply a lighter layer than you'd have to with more sheer powders, helping to avoid the cakey/powdery look. I like to use concealer on trouble spots under this, or something light like a BB or my tinted sunscreen, but I can definitely get away with nothing underneath. I have oily skin and this has alright oil control (in February, let's see what's up come July), but I still get shiny. Nothing a little blotting can't fix. It lasts most of the day and hasn't broken me out. I usually use a fixing spray with it to minimize powderiness so I'm sure that helps with longevity. But even without that it sticks around more than others I've tried - my skin seems to eat powder foundations, it's so weird.

I recommend applying with a fluffier brush vs. a dense one, like a flat-top kabuki. I use an It Cosmetics loose powder brush. You'll get enough coverage and it won't look cakey this way. Also, watch your problem spots (for me, corners of nose and under chin). You'll have to apply more carefully there but once you get the hang of avoiding cake-face, you'll appreciate this product's coverage and longevity.

Even though I'm an oil slick, this looks best with nicely moisturized skin. The packaging is pretty, sturdy, and functional. It's $36...so up there, but I think it'll last a while. Let's see, what else? Oh, there are a wide range of shades but it can be tricky to find your match. I had to get one that looks way too light in the pan but is the correct shade on my face. Definitely try it on first and check it out in different lights. I haven't noticed any oxidation. Try this!