L'Oreal Feria Absolute Platinum Advanced Lightening System

L'Oreal Feria Absolute Platinum Advanced Lightening System

3.9

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been bleaching my hair blonde for about a year now and after trying a wide variety of products for the bleaching process, this is the one I've been most satisfied with. Because I wanted the most clean, professional result possible, I originally started by dabbling with professional bleaches. The two I tried were the L'Oreal Quick Blue and the Joico Vero K Pak Cream Lightener. The benefit to using professional products like those is that you can completely customize them to meet your hair needs for example, if you already have lighter hair, you can use a weaker developer and avoid unnecessary damage. It also generally turns out to be cheaper buying professional products than buying a kit from the drugstore. If you're me though, while I love basking in the glory of the results of beautiful colour, I absolutely hate the process of getting it there and will do anything to minimize the effort and time involved and that is where this dye comes into play. As with any boxed hair dye, it is a very straightforward process where it's relatively mess-free process and you get the perfect amount of each product to achieve your result. Other than choosing your dye, it is a relatively thought- free process. This lightening system stands out from other ones at the drugstore because there are a couple different ones to choose from depending on the amount of lightening you need- one that lifts up to 4 shades, one that lifts up to 6 shades, and one that lifts up to 7 shades which is the one I use. Keep in mind that these labels indicate the maximum amount of lift that is possible for certain people to achieve and if you have very dark or resistant hair, you may need to bleach a second time. For reference, my hair is a level 5-6. When I use this bleach, since the rest of my hair is already blonde, I just apply it to the regrowth. The bleach is very easy to use and when applied properly, you should be left with a very crisp result. It does not have a strong smell, nor is it irritating on my sensitive scalp. Keep in mind that if you want the icy platinum result that you see on the box, you will need some type of toner- the conditioner will not be sufficient. This is not a shortcoming of the dye itself, but rather a shortcoming of the entire bleaching process. When bleaching hair, you will always need to follow up with a toner. Overall I think this is an exceptional lightening kit. I've tried a few others from the drugstore alongside the professional ones that I've mentioned and this trumps all of them in terms of ease of application and the result. It leaves my hair manageable and free from damage with a shiny, health looking result. I highly recommend it!

Tips: Because of how compromising bleach can be to the integrity of your hair, it is important to make sure to not apply bleach to any previously lightened hair- some overlap will occur but you want to minimize it as much as is possible. It is also important to make sure that you apply the bleach generously (there should be an obvious white coating on the parts of your hair where it was applied) to the virgin hair because it is very obvious when you miss a spot when bleaching and it is a hard error to fix on your own. Go over the targeted hair twice if necessary. When the bleach is processing, for added lift, tie your hair up and cover it in plastic wrap and then wrap it in a towel to retain heat.

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

My first problem was that the bleaching powder would not mix with the liquid in the bottle. It just remained thick and gloppy and It kept oozing out like a volcano about to erupt! If that wasn't enough when I applied the anti brass conditioner after rinsing it out; my hair is PINK!!!! Not sure how to rectify the situation either. Anybody got any suggestions? Glad that I don't have see anyone on a regular basis (I am retired) thank god!!!!

on 6/22/2016 2:24:00 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by this! I was so worried that it would look terrible but I followed the directions and my hair came out really nice and white and evenly bleached. I did use a purple conditioner afterwards (first I rinsed out the bleach, then I put in the conditioner that came with the kit, rinsed that, then added the purple conditioner and let it sit for a few minutes) as a toner. Looks awesome.

I recommend getting a colour mixing bowl and applicator brush rather than use the provided bottle.

I went from a medium brown to white-blond. I did have some red dye on the lengths and that turned kinda really pale orange. It looks cool and intentional. But if you have pre-dyed hair, I'd say start with a colour stripper like colour oops.

I applied coconut oil all over my hair a few hours before bleaching (I bleached right over the oil) and I have had no breakage and my hair feels pretty decent. I wouldn't say it's silky smooth, but it's not like hay either. Somewhere in between, but kind of inevitable, all things considered.

Downsides, one box was enough for my very short hair, but if your hair is chin length of longer I would recommend getting two boxes. I also find it a bit pricey at $15, since all you're getting is bleach powder and peroxide, basically. Wait for a sale.

on 5/2/2016 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Had to use it twice to see any kind of result and the result was barely there. Turned parts of my hair blonde, left the rest yellow and orange.

I'm a natural blonde. Ended up dying my hair darker. Had to use color remover to strip out the purple and reds in my hair because I'm trying to go back to my blonde color. Dyed my hair a light ash blonde afterwards and it turned my hair dark brown. I decided to try using this product to get a lighter blonde and it barely worked. It took two times to get any kind of result. My end result was that it turned my hair yellow, orange and blonde. Perhaps my hair is just fried.

The good thing about this product is that the smell isn't overly strong. Unlike normal hair dye, the smell doesn't choke me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hair is naturally medium to dark brown I have colored my roots a light brown and the rest of my hair is blonde, I have been trying different types of bleach in an attempt to touch up my own blonde all of which have really damaged my hair and have needed multiple applications to lighten it sufficiently. I saw good reviews and results on people with dark hair on YouTube so I decided to try this I did a strand test, I did have do it twice,but I must say it lightened better then any brand of bleach that I've tried and with very minimal damage, it's obviously drying especially for me since I used it twice on the same strand but I definitely got great results, may need to tone a bit but will use this from now on instead of bleach to touch up my Balayage.

So this is a bleach. It will need a toner. It comes with a purple conditioner which is great for weekly upkeep, but will do nothing initially for brassiness. You will need a toner unless you are extremely lucky or like yellowish hair. End of story.

Backstory:
I've bleached and dyed my own hair since I was a teenager. My hair has been white blonde, pink, black and most colors inbetween.

After about 5 years of consistent black/dark brown I got really bored. I looked the same as my elementary school pictures. Long brownish hair with bangs. I decided I wanted a balayage blonde with my light ash brown roots (around a 6/7 ash naturally) so I color oopsed 2x and lived with the level 6/7 gingery consequences for a few weeks. I put a light ash over it and waited a bit longer.

Then, completely willing to throw my money at someone who could make my hair look like elizabeth olsen, I went to a trendy and expensive salon that advertised their redken experience and extended training and balayage abilities. She pulled red. Instead of rebleaching or asking me what I wanted since it wasn't pulling lighter she just left it and put a GOLDEN toner over it. She told me she was going to put a golden toner over it and the reds "looked good on me." I protested that I have cool coloring and wanted an ash. As I had said booking the appointment. As I said in the chair numerous times. She didn't care and did her thing.

I was orange and red and brassy all over, 300$ lighter in the bank account, and PISSED.

I went to sallys and put a toner on that and bought several tubs of bleach and developer bc I could tell undoing this was going to be a PROCESS.

I bleached probably 4x gently over the course of about 7 months. My hair always resisted. I used foils, I wrapped in celephane, I used processing caps, I used heat, I used off the scalp, on the scalp, 20 and 30 volume (I will never use 40). It just kept slowly nudging me down through various shades of orange with some nice blonde in there. My roots were an ashy creamsicle and ends dark ash blonde. It was a messy process.

And I was SICK to death of orange. So I was at target shopping with my mom and on a whim picked this box up.

Holy cow.

I used it New Years eve after a few mimosas (do. not. do this) threw some neutral protein filler in the bottle, left it on 40 minutes and the difference is AMAZING. It lifted like 3/4 levels which for my resistant and already partially blonde hair is a BIG DEAL. It actually evened out the color. It went from a dirty orange but also somehow ash and light blonde in some places to a pleasing level 10 banana peel yellow ready for my toner. I used wella t10 left it on 30 minutes (it has been established my hair is a fighter, you may have less resistant hair so if you use a toner pay attention to the processing). It isnt a balayage like I wanted but I will use this product when I have enough roots to make a balayage happen bc this product is wonderful.

My hair is a bit damaged but I have severely processed my hair over the course of the last almost year.

Edit to add: it comes with a conditioner, not shampoo

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I feel as though the people leaving negative reviews don't fully grasp what bleach will do to your hair. Unless you have virgin light blonde hair, you're going to be left with brassy tones you need to get some legit toner, not just the purple conditioner this kit comes with.

That being said, this is honestly one of the nicer bleaches I've come across. This is a 30vol bleach so it is pretty strong, and I notice my hair turning lighter pretty quickly after I apply and I'll leave it on between 20-45 minutes depending on how many levels I want to go up. The only thing that's super annoying is how little product there is. I have just below chin length hair and one box barely covers my whole head, so if you're going to be bleaching on a regular basis, or have long hair then it might be better to invest in a tub of bleach and a big bottle of developer from Sally's. Also the product is incredibly thick so you'll want to mix the ingredients by hand in a plastic bowl.

on 10/24/2015 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is bleach. It claims to be a Platinum Blonde dye. However,this is in fact just hair lightener. So your hair will basically react the same as it would to bleach. It wont get you're hair platinum, it'll just strip out pigment and leave the underlying pigment showing through(Example:orange,yellow). Even if you have blonde hair, this will leave you with that pale yellow undertone. If you have dark hair (my experience), you'll be left with orange hair. Maybe if you do multiple processes,you'll get it to that pale yellow color. You'll still have to tone it anyways. Because this isnt a dye,its a bleach.
Also the "Toning Conditioner" it comes with is no where near pigmented enough to tone you're hair. Its more pinkish purple,while to tone you need a deep purple, or blue violet.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I just tried to use this on my hair and it's literally orange, it didn't damage my hair at all but it is definitely not platinum at all! I'm going to try to use it one more time to lift out the platinum because it didn't damage my hair, but as of now it's orange and this product did not work at all. I left it on for an hour.

on 5/30/2015 8:46:00 AM

First let's start off that I have natural medium brown hair that I dyed blackish brown in November 2014. And I wanted to change it up for summer so I read a lot of reviews on this product and thought it was good.. I literally have spots of blonde/ yellow dye with a mix of orange and brown all over my head. I was reading the instruction very carefully but it turned out to be a disaster. Now I'm looking for a salon to fix my hair!!!

Popular Hair Color Products