CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

Filtered by hair type : Straight
CLINIQUE Moisture Surge CC Cream SPF 30

3.4

I really love this! My skin is very sensitive/reactive, acne-prone and combo-oily leaning dehydrated. To add to that fun, silicones are an instant breakout-trigger for me, and we all know how 98% of foundations/BB/CC creams are loaded up with them. I actually had to read through the ingredients list of this CC cream about 5 times to convince myself that it really and truly is free of 'cones!

On to the review: on application, it does feel a little sticky/tacky, but I find that that disappears quickly once it's blended in to my skin. I've used both my fingers and a brush to apply, and both methods work well, though I might prefer using fingers as I find the warmth of my hands helps this to spread more easily. Once on, it feels like wearing nothing at all. Living in a warm, humid place as I do, this is a huge factor for me.

The coverage is sheer-to-light. What I love most about it is not so much the coverage but how it seems to generally even out and brighten up my skin without caking pigment all over my face. It is truly is a "my skin, but better" look. I have fairly decent skin most of the time, but some slight redness around my nose and mouth, and the occasional minor blemish. This CC cream doesn't exactly cover the redness, but still manages to make my skin much more even and balanced. I don't know how it does it, but it's almost magical.

The finish is on the dewy side. For everyday/daytime wear, I prefer this. For evenings out, I apply this CC cream and also blend a tiny bit of full-coverage foundation (EL DW Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup, which is amazing when used sparingly) over my more reddened areas, and then set it all with powder. That creates, for me, my ideal face--enough coverage to hide redness/minor blemishes, but not so much that my own skin isn't able to show through.

As mentioned earlier, almost everything breaks me out. I've worn this about 5 times now, and have had no problems AT ALL. I've even worn this at work (I teach hot yoga) and my skin is still seeming to love this. I just almost can't believe it....!

At $35, I think this is too pricey to wear every day. But given how finicky my skin is and how pleased I am with the look and feel of this on my skin, I will buy it again in a heartbeat when my tube starts to run low.

For reference, I have neutral-light skin and the shade Light works very well for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm on the fence about this product. I used to use the old formulation of the Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturiser and I really liked it. When I went to repurchase it was gone and this was available in it's place...but I don't love it.

I don't hate it by any means and I plan to finish it, but I don't like it enough that I would repurchase. Ultimately, I think I can find something better.

Pros:
- SPF 30! This is a product I would use in summer and during the daytime so I love having the high SPF because I burn very easy.
- Good coverage - it's not too heavy and not too light. Gives a lovely even finish and is easy to blend into skin.
- Shade match - I bought Very Light and it's a good match for my skin (for ref. I wear NC15 in MAC)

Cons:
- Transfer - this stuff doesn't seem to fully set and I have noticed it rubs off on clothing and tissues etc. This might be because of the spf?
- Overly dewy - I've got very dry skin and I love a nice dewy finish makeup, but this is too much even for me. On hot days it can make you look greasy even if you set with a power. If you're very oily I would steer clear!

All in all not a terrible product but I will be continuing the hunt for a new HG tinted moisturiser/lightweight everyday base.

on 5/10/2013 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is not oil-free as someone previously mentioned, the second ingredient is squalane, a lipid (oil) from olive.
Suddenly oil-free is angelic and manufacturers are afraid to sub label the product that contains oil.
Squalane is the second ingredient on the list.
In short, I love this product, both sides of my face is dry, dry, I put on moisturizer followed by this, with a dust of powder over the T-zone, all of a sudden, my skin just glows. I used to warm up some cream on my palm throughout the day & press it on my face to keep it moist. With this on, I did not feel the need, plus the spf 30 and the colour match is great as well. Even some flaws & uneveness showed thru, yet with the "glow" this provides, it doesn't matter that much anymore.
I used light-medium and this should match NW 25-30 or NC 30-35.

on 5/18/2013 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was browsing the makeup/skincare section at my local department store looking for a good bb/cc cream that I can easily put on by itself. I was quite intrigued by Clinique's moisture surge cc-cream as I have oily and dehydrated skin, with uneven skin tone (i'm slightly pinkish on my cheeks).

The SA was kind enough to offer to use the cc-cream on my whole face (they ran out of samples). The shade she used was Natural. To my surprise, after application, my skin tone was even, my acne scars are less obvious and my skin looks so much better!

To be honest, when I was trying out the Clinique cc-cream, I had already purchased a BB cream from Laneige. I was so impressed by this cc cream that I returned the BB cream immediately!

Pros:
- Decent coverage. The shade matched my skin tone perfectly. It gave me a very natural look and it doesn't look cake-y!
- Easy to apply and absorb. It does not require much blending unlike my previous Bobbi Brown BB cream.
- Can wear the cc cream on its own.

Cons:
As I have oily skin and live in an extremely humid place, I needed to blot my t-zone after 3 to 4 hours. But in comparison with other bb creams & primers, this cc-cream has adequate oil control. I think people with dry or normal skin should have no problem with this.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I don't personally own this product (I used my sister in law's a couple times), but I'm willing to purchase one for myself.
At first, it feels rather heavy because I expect BB/CC creams to be lighter than foundation. After application, it turns out smooth and lighter than I thought - the way CC creams I think should be. You can apply it with brush, sponge, or bare fingers, but I find fingers to be the best applicator because it 'melts' down the thickness a little. It also stays on for about 5 hours in humid places like Indonesia, and required only a little touch up. A dollop of product will go a long way, especially if your skin is relatively blemish-free.

on 8/1/2015 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Got a 10ml sample of this, thank god I didn't purchase this product. It goes on quite oddly - had to blend for a long time but it set into a satin-like finish.. Also it is definitely not for oily skin - powdered a lot. Didn't like how greasy it felt on the skin.

UPDATE

Tried it for the second time and to be honest, one thing I HATE about this product is the smell - it's so strong, I can't stand it. It made me break out too.

on 2/28/2015 10:18:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Received this product in a gift pack. I have had zero luck with BB and CC creams as I am fair, combo skin type with mild rosacea. I LOVE this product!! Great for winter months when I have dry patches. Very natural-looking.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

this product was horrendous on my dry sensitive skin! Moisture surge my ass! It made me break out terribly along my t-zone with cystic acne (which i never had before!) and caused a rash along my forehead. I have to admit, i have tried other clinique products and they've all made me break out in a rash and spots, they do not use natural ingredients.
When i first applied the CC cream, it felt like i'd razored my skin. The cream sank into my pores and into my flaky spots making me look disgusting and you could see the fine lines of my face from dryness even after moisturising thoroughly. It felt greasy to apply and found my forehead lit up from oil whilst the rest of my face clumped and look disgusting.
Would not recommend.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is my go-to CC cream on the weekend days or weekdays I don't feel putting on foundtation. It's incredibly moisturizing and gives a nice glow to my skin. It doesn't give heavy coverage but my face looks much more even with it on. I have the light for colder months and light-medium for late spring and summer.

on 6/15/2013 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I am an NC15 in Mac (very fair with neutral undertones) and the shade "Very Light" in the Clinique CC cream is PERFECT for me. I read about this product on my favourite beauty blogs, and I held out buying the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in "Porcelain" (which I found to be just meh from trying samples) and waited and waited for the Clinique CC cream to arrive in Canada. This product was a month late hitting the shelves here, but I finally got my hands on it and wow, it was absolutely worth the wait. It smells like sunscreen, which I love, and the SPF of 30 is wonderful as I already use Clarin's face sunscreen which has an SPF of 40. The coverage of the CC cream is so neat..I have some redness in my cheeks, chin and nose and just a light amount of this product buffed into my skin with my Real Techniques buffing brush really does the trick!! It's quite dewy so I dust a bit of my Rimmel matte powder over it to set it after adding some concealer where I need it. This lasts all day, and it covers the redness extremely well. What a cool product! I will re-buy this always, and I like it better than any tinted moisturizer or BB cream that I have tried (Dior BB, Clinique BB, Mac BB, Laura Mercier TM, Nars TM, Sephora CC, etc etc). This is miraculous!

UPDATE: I ended up returning this *sigh*, I love it, but it just felt too thick for what I am used to, even though I have fairly small pores, the CC cream seemed to sit in them and didn't spread very easily. It just felt too heavy for me, especially for the summer. I went and bought the Dior BB cream even though the colour match wasn't as good (Dior's is more pinkish). It's a thinner consistency and still gives ok coverage and it seems to last just as well as Clinique's CC cream. I'm so sad, I wanted to love this CC cream so badly and I wanted it to be the answer to my skin base prayers! :(