63%

$37.00 on Ulta Beauty
Shop Now

Reviews

5 years ago

I love this setting powder. It gave me a soft focus, air brushed look. I have very dry skin that is starting to wrinkle 😞 and this is the only powder that I have tried that doesn't settle into fine lines. I have tried a lot of powders (mufe, smashbox halo, too faced) and this is now my HG powder. As for the price, it's a little on the high side, but I truly believe that you get what you pay for (and this is worth it).

About reviewer (15 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

5 years ago

I am new to the world of setting powders and I had high hopes for this particular powder. Its finely milled, easy to work with, and blurs pores. The deal breaker for me was that I could see small glitter particles when I would look in the mirror. I have no tolerance for any shimmer or glitter on my face since it looks a bit childish on me. My search will continue on. I will not repurchase.

About reviewer (885 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Medium, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

3.0

5 years ago

On the plus side, this lasts practically forever. I've had my container for a least a year or longer and still have a large amount of product remaining. It's also pretty easy to use. Just shake out the merest amount of product into the lid, swoosh a fluffy brush around said lid and then dust face. On the down side, while I do use it frequently because...well...I really don't know. And yup, that's the problem. I bought it after seeking a solution to getting my foundation to last longer and the Sephora SA recommended it. I'm sure it's probably one of the best products in its class (it's definitely finely-milled!); I just don't perceive much, if any, benefit when I use it. Frankly, I don't think it makes my makeup last much longer than it would otherwise, improves the look of my skin, or anything else. If I'm to be perfectly honest, I think more often than not, even though I usually just apply a light dusting, it has the effect of making my foundation look more cakey by the end of the day. I have essentially normal skin that is prone to dehydration (and as such, occasionally chews up foundation when not properly moisturized). For whatever reason, even though my nose isn't particularly oily, foundation tends to disappear from it even when I use this stuff. I guess that's why I use it? Futile hope? Maybe THIS time it will work? (No.) For comparison's sake, my little jar of E.L.F. HD under-eye setting powder (which cost all of $3 plus tax) produces much more tangible benefits and gets a lot more love from me. So I'm not totally powder-averse. Just not sure what this NARS stuff brings to the table.

About reviewer (66 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

5 years ago

Generally I'm not a big fan of powders, especially loose ones, but I really love this. It doesn't have that dense, heavy sensation on my skin, and it looks beautiful. It's gossamer fine, very lightweight, silky, and leaves a lovely finish. When I ordered it I was expecting a slight sheen or something light reflective as the name implies but it's more of a satin finish. Not flat or powdery looking at all, and it doesn't make my skin look dry or lifeless. It never looks like I'm sporting a powdered face. I've been using Chanel's loose powder for a few years now, and while I love that one, it sometimes adds color to my skin. Being so pale, even Chanel's lightest shade can darken my skin somewhat. Comparing the two, the NARS is finer and less dense. It clings lightly to my brush and that helps add the perfect light, imperceptible layer to my face. Also, it doesn't cake at all, so despite a liberal dusting it never clings to certain areas or turns cakey. It sets my liquid foundation nicely, adds a lovely polished effect, and I can still maintain the effect of my own natural skin. This looks truly translucent and colorless to me. I don't notice a white cast or a lightening effect at all. My skin is NW10, normal, sometimes slightly dry in small areas, and I avoid heavy products and thick powders at all cost. This worked perfectly for me in every possible way and I've been using it exclusively since I got it... my Chanel powder is being put aside for the time being. Other bonuses: no scent, doesn't irritate my super sensitive skin, and a little goes a very long way. I don't think loose powder are great for traveling but I just put a tiny piece of tape across the dispenser holes when I travel. Weird but that blue painter's tape works well for that and doesn't leave a sticky tape residue behind when removed. Love!

About reviewer (554 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

5 years ago

Really good translucent powder! It doesn't leave me looking pale or cakey looking. I tend to get dry skin every now and again and this doesn't dry me out or highlight my dry spots. It helps with my oily T-zone and stops my foundation from creasing around my lines. I feel like it lasts for a long time as well! As I don't need to re-apply during the day.

About reviewer (18 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Other, Other

3.0

5 years ago

I don't feel like this does anything special. I probably should have returned it. But it's an ok product. I don't notice any light reflecting or blurring.

About reviewer (43 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair

HairOther

EyesOther

from

5 years ago

It's good but I like MAC Prep Prime loose powder more and will be buying it next.

About reviewer (25 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

EyesGreen

5 years ago

It took me a while to appreciate this product. First of all, concerning the pressed powder specifically, this has a VERY weird texture. It was almost as if it was a complete solid, and I could not get any product from the compact. And then when I applied it to my face, it was as though nothing had happened. Then, after digging into the product a little more, forcing more product onto the brush or sponge, I slowly observed how subtle and perfecting this stuff really is. It blurs the skin (pores, acne scars, general unevenness) without leaving any trace of powder on the skin. It's not going to replace Photoshop, mind you, but it's pretty cool! I have the perpetual issue of concealer creasing under my eyes or clinging onto the dry patches there (even though I have oily skin, I have dry undereyes). This product is the best powder I have used for preventing that issue. It leaves your undereye looking incredibly smooth. It doesn't completely stop creasing for me, but it's much less noticeable. Additionally, this is hands down the best product for controlling oil. I am an OILY girl, especially throughout my T-Zone. Even having used some extremely matte powders in the past, I always have to re-apply within a few hours. With Nars' powder, I maybe have to touch up once a day, and it's not even really necessary then! I thought the day would never come! So, it just takes a while to learn how to work with this product. But when you find out what way works best for you, I guarantee you will understand why this product is so special.

About reviewer (25 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

EyesBlue

5 years ago

I have extremely dry skin and I finally found a powder that does not look overly dry on me. I picked this up on a whim at Sephora and paid $36. Like most high end products the price is high but you truly get what you pay for. I have owned this for almost 8 months and still have 1/2 a jar left. I only use a small amount to lightly sweep over my T Zone since I have big pores. It does not completely hide them but it definitely helps blur them. I also use a damp beauty blender and set my concealer under my eyes by pressing it on top. My concealer never looks cakey and it doesn't sit in my fine lines. If I go overboard with my blush I use a small amount on a stippling brush and it tones/blends it out beautifully. I will never go without this powder.

About reviewer (47 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium

HairRed

EyesHazel

5 years ago

Best translucent loose powder I've come across to date. Helps sets and mattifies my makeup, a must in the humid conditions of South East Asia! Light reflecting particles really does a great job of diffusing imperfections in a your skin but better way. My skin is normal to dry that gets a bit shiny by mid afternoon and a touch up with the pressed powder version helps by a mile. I like that my skins feels comfortable in it throughout the day. I've not suffered from blemishes of any sort (it claims to be non-comedogenic) from daily use either. I'm currently using Make Up For Ever HD Powder but I find Nars so much better. MUFE while supposed to be translucent seems to make my skin slightly fairer in an unnatural way (maybe because too much product gets dispensed? I don't know I'm still experimenting). I will definitely repurchase this in the future.

About reviewer (235 reviews)

SkinDry, Medium, Not Sure