Neutrogena Clear Face Break-Out Free Liquid- Lotion Sunblock SPF 30

Neutrogena Clear Face Break-Out Free Liquid- Lotion Sunblock SPF 30

3.7

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (2.5%), Homosalate (5%), Octisalate (4%), Octocrylene (3%), Oxybenzone (4%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Dimethicone, Silica, Styrene Acrylates Copolymer, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexl Glycerin, Steareth 100, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Polyacrylate, Steareth 2, Dimethicone, Chlorphenesin, Polyester 7, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Butylene Glycol, Diethylhexyl 2 6 Naphthalate, BHT, Xanthan Gum, Mannan, Capryloyl Glycine, Trideceth 6, Sarcosine, Cinnamomum Zeylancium Bark Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Cedrus Atlantica (Blue Atlas Cedar) Bark Extract

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I have oily, acne prone & sensitive skin. So I thought I had found a sunscreen that would work for me & it states won't break you out!!
Pros: Light Weight
Not greasy
Blends Well

Cons: My face broke out two days after I started using it, not only my face but my neck as well. It took me a week to figure out why I was getting blemishes all over my face & I wanted to believe what the product stated. I stop using it and my once red inflamed blemishes are finally healing.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love it, used it for many years. Will become greasy if combined with moisturizer, so I use a serum in the morning instead. I'm pale so I don't experience a whitish cast. It also mixes well with color concentrates (I use green, but you could darken it for different skin tones.) Great primer for under foundations too since I don't use primer. Doesn't break me out which is great.

To Read all 85 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/30/2016 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I went a long time without wearing sunscreen because most of them were too heavy and greasy on my face. Even "dry touch" products felt mask-like and siliconey. Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30 got a really terrible expert review on Beautypedia, but I felt I had to try it for myself.

This product contains a blend of chemical sunscreens, is a white liquid lotion texture with an inoffensive scent. It does contain some fragrant oils which smell woody to me, but the smell doesn't linger when the product dries. When first applied, there is a bit of a white cast, but that disappears as the product sinks in and dries.

Of all the sunscreens I've tried, this is one of the least greasy ones. However, it does leave a sheen, as most sunscreens do. It actually works really well over other products, such as Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel. Those two together are just the right amount of moisture without making me an oil slick. To tone down the shine, I use a mattifier, such as Paula's Choice Shine Stopper or OC8.

Unfortunately, over time, this sunscreen started to irritate my skin. Now when I try to wear it, it stings when applied. The sting does go away as the product dries, if that is any comfort. I decided to quit wearing it and switched to Paula's Choice Resist Youth-Extending Clear Skin Hydrator SPF 50. The PC product is also contains broad-spectrum chemical sunscreens, is very light, a tiny bit more moisturizing and is much gentler to my skin.

I rated this Neutrogena product 3 out of 5, because I know it will work for those who have less sensitive skin, and the texture is simply awesome for skin tending toward oily.

on 4/24/2016 12:41:00 PM

one of the better facial sunscreens on the market :)

I have always been cautious what I put on my face and make sure that it's not something that is going to irritate me but will still protect me. It's less than 10 bucks at wall greens.

Consistency is very light and goes on smoothly. There is no greesy feeling. I will be a consistent user of this

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Beware if you have sensitive skin!! Test a small area before full use if you can. My skin doesn't break out with the right products, but the wrong ones can cause cysts that cause long-lasting scars. This is one of those products. It caused a breakout almost immediately, even on my cheeks.

on 4/9/2016 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've liked a lot of Neutrogena sunscreens I've tried, but this is far and away my favorite, and the only one I use now. I use the SPF 30, for some reason the SPF 55 breaks me out. This is a thin lotion texture, not at all thick or greasy. It disappears pretty seamlessly in the skin, you do have to make sure you really work it in or you might have some white patches. I know this sunscreen works great, because I recently went hiking for about six hours, and I came back with a tiny sunburn at the top of my head where I didn't get the sunscreen, but the rest of my face was not sunburned/tan at all. That is with zero reapplication. I don't wear daily face makeup so I can't speak to how this sunscreen performs under that. It doesn't break me out, disappears well without weird pilling or white cast, and it protects me from the sun, what more could I ask for? Great sunscreen! I'm interested to try Asian sunscreens, but I will always keep a bottle of this around and if it ends up being my holy grail, well I'm pretty darn happy with it. Hope Neutrogena never quits making it.

on 11/28/2015 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

love it! Non greasy, doesn't give me a white cast and, as promised, hasn't broken me out. it also doesn't have a strong "sunscreen" smell which is a real bonus.

on 10/3/2015 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I normally use the L'Oreal Sublime Sun (now renamed Silky Sheer), however I feel like over time my skin doesn't act so nice with it. It's not scientific though, it's probably due to a lack of sleep. I wanted to try something different, something that didn't have the alcohol denat as well, to see how it would fare. Would it be as lightweight? As absorbing?

PROS: 3 oz of product, that's almost double what you get from the L'Oreal and similar filters. I feel like it protects my skin well (maybe even better). I can put on a lot of it and it absorbs pretty damn well, no obvious cast, etc. Not sure about the breakout claim, my breakouts are caused by lack of sleep or simply not cleansing well enough. I rarely get product induced breakouts.

CONS: I think the finish is a bit drier looking/feeling than the L'Oreal one. Makeup doesn't apply as nice over this than the other one, but these are only things I notice when you compare them. It has a couple of extracts that also aren't good for the skin, but they are lower in the ingredient list.

OTHER: It calls itself a liquid lotion, and that's pretty much what it is. It's not super viscous because it's not a like liquid, but it's not thicker like lotions are either. It's a thinner, liquid like texture, lotion. I think it is an very good texture for sunscreen, it stays in place, but is still thin, not runny

OVERALL: I've used this as both as my main sunscreen and as the "I'm not leaving the house" cheap stuff since you get so much of it. I've already bought it a couple times.

on 8/11/2015 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hmm, it seems like this product does one thing for some people and the opposite for others. I have very, very oily skin and this is the only sunscreen I've found that doesn't make me oilier. Granted, I've never used expensive, high end sunscreens. I did try that Sofina sunscreen that was supposed to be great. (It wasn't.) However, the only drugstore sunscreens I've picked out to try are ones that say "ultra sheer" and "non-greasy." They've all been greasy on me though!

This sunscreen is kinda thick and has a glue-y consistency, but it absorbs quickly. It seriously is the only one that hasn't made me oilier. No white cast either. I use it every day and don't spend anymore time in the sun than I have to. I don't know if it would protect me from a long day in the sun, but it's August now and so far in this Texas heat and strong sun, I haven't noticed my skin getting any darker or any more freckles, so that's a good thing. I love this sunscreen.

If you have sensitive or irritated skin, this will sting! It only happened to me once, though, and everything was making my skin sting that day.

The only thing I can criticize is that there is something about the cap and the way it closes that causes lots of gunky buildup around the cap. But that's no big deal to me if the product works well.

on 7/24/2015 2:41:00 AM

The good: It's fragrance free and doesn't have any kind of retinol ingredient in it as far as I know, which is good news for your skin! It doesn't feel greasy once its absorbed on the skin. Skin doesn't feel too bad with it on. It almost feels like your skin. It absorbs fast! Flash fast!
The bad: It absorbs fast! I usually apply to the bottom of my face, below my eyes, all at once and then apply with another goop on my forehead, but I couldn't completely cover the bottom of my face with one goop! I had to remember which parts I missed and touch those areas up. It also leaves this weird, residual feel on my fingers. Almost like when you have dried aerosol hairspray on your fingers. After washing my hands, drying them thoroughly, then touching my face again, my face will feel fine, like skin for a few seconds, but then it starts to feel like dried hairspray film again and it feels that way on my fingers, too. Which concerns me. Is it flaking/sloughing off? I don't really want that in a sunscreen. I used this on a road trip and reapplied every 2 hours, without washing my face first, and at the end of the day I had white spots where the sunscreen collected in the upper corners of my inner eyes near the brow bone. It also burned the first time when I applied it after toning without letting my toner thoroughly dry first. After that I haven't had a problem.

Conclusion: I wouldn't buy this in a perfect world, but I think, for an affordable sunscreen, this is as good as your going to get. I've tried so many others and frankly I'm frustrated and might give up for awhile. At least until I've used it all up. I just hope the sloughing off doesn't leave my skin to vulnerable to the sun. I WANT TO LOOK YOUNG FOREVAAAA!!!!

Update: I have a feeling that those who like this sunscreen aren't using enough. It does transfer on to your hands if you touch your face. It makes my face look whiter than usual and I'm pretty pale to begin with. If you apply a little in one area, then apply in the adjacent are and overlap with the previously applied area, the previously applied area will rub/flake off in little gross white bits. Make sure to blend really well so you don't have white spots.