4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

9 years ago

Definitely a wintery scent! Gorgeous & complicated. Very hard to describe...hmmmmm let me think here... would wear this on a date in Winter or on Christmas Eve :-) I would not wear this to work. Very dramatic and not for the faint of heart. Kind of old-fashioned but hauntingly beautiful. Very womanly...not for a girl. You need like 1/2 of a drop so the bottle will absolutely last forever. If you like Rive Gauche or Youth Dew type scents you will adore this. The bottle is gorgeous too. I keep it on my bathroom shelf year-round just so I can look at it.

About reviewer (23 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

10 years ago

This was one of my first parfumes; I wore it when I was 20. It was very interesting to find it again – and read all the reviews about it. I remember I never bought it because I found it dirty or sexy or something like that – I bought it because it was the only fragrance I could find & stand when I run out of L´Heure Bleue (and I wanted something different), and decided on this because I found it kind of vanillic (because of the amber and balsams I´ve learned later) rounded and smooth. All the other perfumes I tried (and I tried them all) felt loud, discomforting & sweet in the wrong way to me. Comparing it to other perfumes I have smelled in the meantime I now do get the animalic vibe everyone talks about, but this particular parfume stands out as a masterpiece to me in its category; the balance between flowers, citrus, woods, amber, balsams and incense are just perfect – it has a warm lift (because of the citrus and orange blossoms) so it don't get heavy or dark as other survivors like for instance Tabu or Habanita, but is still smooth, it`s just as glorious and sophisticated as Narcisse Noir (I love orange blossoms) but not so old world, it does have a bit of this dirty vibe but it´s never vulgar - it´s just enough to make it intimate and interesting. It´s a glorious, feminine and timeless masterpiece. It kind of glows on skin, and when I wear something else than one of my beloved Orange Blossoms, this is one of the few I can be sure to feel comfortable in - but mostly in winter or on special evenings. The quality of the ingredients seems excellent to me, and it`s hard to understand how they can sell it to the prizes you ladies over there report about – in fact it´s so hard to understand, that I wonder if there can be a hidden agenda – especially when I myself have experienced the addictive qualities of it – so be warned, American ladies :-)

About reviewer (68 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

10 years ago

Love it, love it, love it! I was amazed to find this at my local Big Lots right after Christmas for only $2.00! After trying it I immediately bought 3 bottles & then went back 2 weeks later & bought the last 2 they had. If I see it again, I'm buying it! It's subtle, rich, very soft & sort of spicy. It mght smell a tad bit "old lady" to some but I think it's marvelous.

About reviewer (62 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesGreen

3.0

10 years ago

I saw Jean Desprez Bal a Vertsailles at Big Lots today....for $2 a bottle on clearance...and just had to try this nostalgic blast from the past perfume. It was, as I remembered it, rather a unisex scent. It's not overly feminine, has lots of green notes. It's quite unoffensive, not sophisticated yet not cheap smelling. I get truely green notes on first spritz. A pleasant not too heavy green. A good quality green. As this wears on, one can pick up just a touch of sandalwood and pathchouli melding with relaxing lilac. This combines well with the balsam, cedar and amber base notes. More on Bal a Versaille: Jean Desprez perfumes and colognes Oriental fragrances Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez For: women Designer: Jean Desprez Olfactive Group: Oriental Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez is a oriental fragrance for women. Bal a Versailles was launched in 1962. Top notes are rosemary, orange blossom, mandarin orange, cassia, jasmine, rose, neroli, bergamot, bulgarian rose and lemon; middle notes are sandalwood, patchouli, lilac, orris root, vetiver, ylang-ylang and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are tolu balsam, amber, musk, benzoin, civet, vanilla, cedar and resins.

About reviewer (262 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

EyesGreen

10 years ago

This is a review for the parfum. Although I don't totally hate this (I'm not washing it off, there is something semi-likeable about it)-- does anyone else get Avon's Skin So Soft from this? There is a bug spray overtone to this scent I can't seem to get past. That being said, there is an animalic undertone that I do enjoy in this perfume. If the top notes were nonexistant, I would probably love it. If I could compare this animal to L'air du Rien, I'd say it's a bigger, messier, dirtier cat with huge balls. Maybe even a raccoon.... On second thought, forget the cat, this is more accurately a feral skunk. When I smell it in the air around me, I enjoy this smell. However, when I sniff my wrists, or even get close to them, the similarity to SSS is just not doing it for me. It's like how cats seem very interested in a scent, then they get close and sniff and their whiskers go up and they make that scrunchy face and recoil. (Great description, I know). That's what I'm feelin here. I don't get orange blossom, violet, floral anything, spice, Oriental, none of that-- just some civety, perfumey, synthetic old-fashioned vintage grandma-diva scent mixed in with Skin-So-Soft!! The civety-goodness changes to a distinct fecal/ slight halitosis aroma 20 minutes later on my skin, with the top note of Skin So Soft. I bet this repels mosquitos. EDIT: I'm glad I waited an hour on this one-- it has morphed into a beautiful gem of an animalic on me. The bug spray odor is gone. The perfumey vintage smell is gone. It's like an animal that just snuggled up and went to sleep. Now it smells good!!! Not powdery, floral, Oriental at ALL, though-- this is a straight up animalic on me, nothing else!!! Very pretty at this point!! By no means is this weak, you will surely smell it, but it isn't overpowering like some can be, which is definitely a plus. There is an addictive quality about this fragrance, and it is unforgettable. I have regular cravings to wear this scent, nevermind the top notes!! The mid- to base notes are worth the wait. ***EDIT*** I name the EDC 5 stars, the parfum was too strong for me. I *-love-* the EDC though, but it is fleeting, and I don't get a strong note of oily, fecal civet but it is toned down enough to have a hint of that and be still a skanky Oriental. I have to try the EDT next to see if I still like it as much as the EDC, and hopefully it will last longer. Will update later.

About reviewer (255 reviews)

SkinDry, Other, Warm

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

1.0

10 years ago

I seem to be the dissenting voice here. I am currently wearing a sample of the EdT. Very basic spicy scent. Not a whiff of the naughty. There's a very faint trailing note of something akin to wet wood, or wax, very dry and barely discernable. It goes on strong and is, perhaps, when it is best. I thought "all right!", but this phase is very short lived. Then it's heavy amber - not my fave. Next day tried just the pure perfume on my wrist, it is identical to the EdT except that it is extremely tenacious, does not have any interesting 'bright' notes in the opening. Goes straight to amber and floor wax (this waxy note is very intriguing in Mitsouko, not so much in Bal). Had to scrub off and only with moderate success. This baby is like a boring friend who talks only about one thing and won't ever shut up. If you really want something skanky and sexy get Rochas Femme and add a drop of cumin oil (totally shameless!) Both Femme and Bal are available online for next to nothing. For a beautiful, challenging oriental, try Montale's Orient Extreme. WOW. If you really want wham, bam, I take no prisoners, get Bandit in EdP with the certification that it is in line with the original formula. Now THERE's a perfume!! Sample first always, I thought I'd love Bal from the reviews but finally wised up and got samples, whew! Oh God, this is STRONG, the Bal is killing me with spice. Must . . . wash. . . .OFFFFFFFFF . . . . a g a i n. . . .

About reviewer (217 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

from

10 years ago

Gloriously syrupy orange blossom, bubble gum and incense, and after a few hours it dried down to slightly dirty musk. I love it.

About reviewer (75 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone

HairBlond

EyesHazel

11 years ago

I was sent a sample of the EDT in a swap (thanks Jess) and now I am addicted. At first, I thought it might be a bit too strong and heavy, but after about an hour it had settled down into a very ultra-feminine, romantic and soft scent with a bit of spice and mystery. In fact, after the dry down, I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists. It wasn't too strong or overpowering at all after the dry down, so although it is recommended for the evening you can probably get away with wearing it during the day. The price is very affordable for the EDT...in fact I found it on Amazon.com for $28.00 with free supersaver shipping. I'm not very good at detecting all the different notes in a perfume, but I know that I am picky and I know what I like...and I like this...a LOT! P.S. I was out looking for a new car the other day and it was very windy. Every now and then the wind would blow and I would catch a whiff of my Bal a Versailles. I kept thinking to myself "Wow, I smell good!"

About reviewer (15 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Olive

HairBrown

11 years ago

This was the first perfume I ever smelled, and that is surely the explanation for my attachment. This is such a strange elixir. It has always reminded me of a potion that might impart unabashed confidence if applied with the right incantation. To me, it smells of spices and insence, dank henna leaves, sweet flowers all crushed and decaying and pungent. I have just begun to dare to spray this on my own skin, and the glowing scent of it proclaims: I AM FEMALE - POWERFUL AND GLORIOUS! Though in the vintage it smells just like my mother, in the new it smells just like me.

About reviewer (63 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlack, Other, Other

11 years ago

i was nervously excited to try this one. i can't imagine anyone not HAVING to try it after reading the notes and reviews. i was warned to wait at least an hour before judging it because this one goes on strong! after the grace period, i was so happy with it! i feel the warm sun and a little touch of hay in it, but everything is warm and sweet. strangely, it smells very natural and very noticeable at the same time. i think it is sexy in the same way that it is sexy to see your love in the morning disheveled before getting ready for the day.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Not Sure