4.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

11 years ago

Very rich and beautiful. I know I'm going to make the perfume snobs shudder (yay!) when I say it reminds me a lot of Revlon's Ciara- which I also own. Bal a Versailles, though, is more basalmic and less powdery than Ciara. I adore them both.

About reviewer (122 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Curly, Coarse

EyesBlue

3.0

11 years ago

I've only tried the parfum and the eau de cologne, and they are very different. The parfum begins with a lot of aldehydes, flowers, and a slight bubblegum note that a lot of other reviewers mention. I expected it to be very animalic but it's more of a floral over an ambery oriental base. The EDC, however, is much more animalic. It basically skips the flowers and bubblegum and goes right for a dirty amber that smells like a lighter version of Miller Harris L'Air de Rien. Even though it's simpler than the parfum, the EDC was more interesting to me personally. L'Air de Rien is way too intense for me, so this will be a nice (and vastly cheaper) alternative.

About reviewer (127 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

11 years ago

I love this strong, heady, sweet ,smell. I found this at tj maxx and fell in love with the scent and i will repurchase it again.I adore it.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

12 years ago

This has been my favourite fragrance for over thirty years. Even though I switch from perfume to perfume I always find myself coming back to this one. I can only wear it for special occasions though, mostly an evening perfume as it makes me feel so glamorous

About reviewer (33 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

12 years ago

This review is for the EDT: It took a while for Bal a Versailles to grow on me, but that's only because my nose had become so acclimated to the more polite fragrances of our time. The fact is that the initial impression of Bal a Versailles is hay in a horse's stable and a woman's dirty hair. There are bits of violet and other, spicier flowers rubbed into her hair, perhaps a bit of mace, and she smells like she just - well - had a roll in the hay, and crushed the garland of wildflowers that she wore in the process. I don't get much of the incense or ancient, churchy notes that others smell in this, but it is highly evocative to me of the same sort of pre-industrial French pastoral setting, with wildflowers, horses and seldom washed young heads of hair. It's the smell of innocent and youthful femininity, not sanitized of its sex and bodily smells by our modern fear olfactory intimacy. The conventional wisdom of sexy fragrances as of late, is that a fragrance must be edible in some way - sweet, spicy, deliciously resinous, or what have you - but Bal a Versailles is sexy because it's a woman's unashamed afterglow. All those perfume ads on TV that feature naked women writhing around in bed would be better suited to a fragrance like this one or another animalic fragrances of the past, than the cleaner, more artificial fragrances of today. It's a fragrance that powerfully and beautifully enhances the smell of a woman, instead of replacing it with another scent altogether. I must add that this fragrance is so inexpensive that it's hard to justify not trying it if you're a true connoisseur of classic, animalic, or unusual fragrances. It comes in a beautiful bottle, and a little goes a long way. The lasting power is average - about 4 hours on my skin.

About reviewer (45 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinNormal, Fair

EyesHazel

1.0

12 years ago

Sadness... I just ran out and bought this based on everybody else's reviews on here (got the big bottle at Loehmann's in NYC for $39.99)....and the drydown smells on me EXACTLY like Old Spice on my grandpa. Sadness. $40 out the window.... my husband is going to kill me! Every time I buy unsniffed, I keep hoping it's going to work out the way my HG Bois des Iles did.... yeah right.... that is impossible to top!!!

About reviewer (61 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinNormal

12 years ago

The golden rule, "never buy unsniffed" is meant to keep you from buying something as delectable a Bal à Versailles based on MUA and thinking everything else will live up to the reviews you read here. Yes, there is a bubblegum/cola note at first but fades quickly and leaves a sensuous, resinous, oriental fragrance that does not overreach but stays close to you. Wearing Bal à Versailles is like being clothed in sumptuous silks, you feel luxurious and sexy. EDT is inexpensive, even in Canada. Absolutely full bottle worthy. I am enchanted.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

SkinOily, Olive

12 years ago

I have been wearing Bal a Versailles for over 30 years. I like it so much, I find myself sniffing my wrist throughout the day. It was given to me along with Shakespeare's sonnets. And like them it has a romantic nature, but with great complexity and intelligence. It is subtle, no shouting from the rooftops or making people leave the elevator. But when you get close, you want to be closer. I am no spring chicken, but have often been sitting at a party and discovered some (much) younger man hanging over me and murmuring "you smell so good!". It has a particularly wonderful glow as the body warms up. My last bottle of the parfum had a plastic stopper (ick) so I put it in one of my grandmother's glass bottles and feel very elegant when i apply it.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinSensitive, Fair

EyesGreen

1.0

12 years ago

I adore history, but this was far too old fashioned for me and a terrible companion with my chemistry. Overwhelmingly animalic, like how I would imagine a civet farm to smell, albeit a civet farm at the edge of the palatial gardens of Versailles. Dark, suffocating, and somewhat cheap or synthetic. A cluttered, musty room with the windows and blinds closed tightly for many decades.

About reviewer (61 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

12 years ago

I've been wanting to try this scent for so long i finally broke down and bought a 50ml bottle because i could not find a tester of it anywhere. First off, i love the little sticker that goes on the front of the bottle with the gothic, middle ages women. It gives a good vibe to the fragrance. I can imagine those three women in a magnificent castle and they are standing on one of the balconies overlooking a deep forest. The castle is very, very cold so many fires are lit in fireplaces to maintain warmth. The fires emit a fragrance of freshly cut timber and a multitude of leaves are burning as well as a propellant for the fire. Also, people who live in the castle must wear a small leather covering to protect from the coldness. The castle's King is well traveled and has brought back incense sticks from all over the world. The smoke from the incense is mingling with the aromas from burning fires and creates a mysterious and forboding environment. The castle is very dark as the only light comes from sunlight and torches that are on the walls. This is what Bal a Versailles smells like.

About reviewer (517 reviews)

Age36-43