Ole Henriksen Truth Serum

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum
Truth SerumTruth Serum

3.4

Water (Aqua), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Calcium Ascorbate, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Euphrasia Officinalis Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Oleth-20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Benzophenone-4, Sodium Hyaluronate, Thioctic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 5

on 2/29/2012 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This stuff is the "real deal." A Vitamin "C" serum which is superior to most all and at a reasonable price. Two stabalized forms of Vitamin C listed as the 2nd and 3rd ingrtedients after water. The 3rd being Calcium Ascorbate which is Ester C (less irritating than others.) The 2nd being Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (very stable and concentrated.) Stability is what you need to look for: simple Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) is not stable and henceforth will not do your skin any good. This serum is loaded with skin nourishing extracts of all kind (many of them fruit extracts.) There are healing ingredients (aloe being just one) along with widely actives of the latest fare. This is one high tech skin benefit. It also contains a healthy dose of Sodium Hyaluronate which binds hundreds of times its weight in water without being greasy, emollient or occlusive to the skin. This product due to its ingredients is a multi tasker if ever there was one. Vitamin C acts as an anti free radical treatment and because of its potency (10%) will stimulate collagen and elastin fibers which are the network within the skin which keeps it tightly draped across the bones of the face (therefore being firming and reversing aging such as lines, folds and wrinkles.) This percentage and quality of Vitamin C will also brighten the skin and fade brown-sun-freckle marks. It will also smooth the skins surface and give it more translucency, the way skin reflects light when it is young.
There also happens to be a coordinating day/night cream (though it has an SPF of 15) called Truth Revealed Super Cream. This name is really an understatement for how it actually performs as performs it does like a German Sports car. It continues with many of the same ingredints, but puts them into a more moisturizing base and adds an SPF (though I use it at night also.) It will super charge the serum as it seals it in when applied in conjunction/over the serum. There are also additional (many) ingredients in the cream (such as peptides, which work on lines and wrinkles) not found in the serum. Used together they are a formidable combination achieving results of products 2,3 and 4 times their price. What more could you ask for???? Highly recommended and well worth it.

on 8/2/2007 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I am 38 years old, and have combination skin, with little to no signs of aging, or sun damage. I use this thick, orange serum, as my first step in my nightly skincare routine, after cleansing. I use one small squirt of this delicious, lightly scented orange-vanilla serum, and smooth over my entire face and down toward my neck. It glides on silky smooth, and sinks in within a minute or two. I then follow with a glycolic cream and/or moisturizer. My skintone has evened out, and looks radiant and healthy. Any fine lines I had before using Truth Serum have faded noticeably, and no new ones have formed. My skin stays soft and moisturized all night long, and I wake up with dewy and refreshed looking skin, ready for makeup..or not. I can easily go with no makeup on my face now (just concealer). I think it is the 10% vitamin C and green tea in the serum, that contribute to my new healthy glow. I would like to use it twice a day, but this serum is expensive ($42 for 1 oz.), so I will keep it to once a day for now.

I have been using Truth Serum for 2 months. Two weeks ago, I was asked for my ID when buying wine at the grocery store. When I pointed out that I was with my teenage son, the cashier said, "Your skin is so beautiful. I only check ID's when a woman's age is in question, and with skin like yours, I need to check your ID." I made my son call my husband right away, to tell him how his Mom just got ID'd at the grocery store! It made my day! I definitely think that Truth Serum has contributed to a noticeable youthful glow on my skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm a firm believer in vitamin C for the skin and have used a C serum daily for many years. I consider it an absolute essential for adding luminosity and overall skin health. Without it, my skin looks dull and lifeless.

I used Skinceuticals C serums for years when I could find it for a song on ebay. Then I strayed and was using hippie lines for a while -- Avalon, Jason, and Kiss My Face (all of which are fine, but the serums are formulated more like lightweight moisturizers and are not concentrated enough to do anything) and was recently using MyChelle, which was a sticky, pasty mess and didn't work under makeup (it would ball up.)

This is the first C serum I've used that even comes close to Skinceuticals, but I actually prefer the consistency. Where Skinceuticals (I used almost all of the formulations) tends to be watery, the Ole Henriksen is very lightweight and slick. It's not quite oily, and not quite viscous, but somewhere in between watery and oily. It feels nice going on and absorbs almost immediately, so you don't feel it on your skin at all.

I've found that when using most C serums it takes a couple weeks of use to see any noticeable difference in skin quality. I swear, after using this the first time (and ever since) my skin is positively glowing. Nice stuff. I will definitely repurchase.

I got this during the Sephora FF sale and didn't have high hopes, TBH. I've heard both raves and rants about it and I don't put a lot of stock in department store (I guess that's what category Ole Henriksen falls under?) skincare lines, so this was a pleasant surprise. Love it.

on 9/9/2008 2:53:00 AM

As I mentioned in my other reviews, I have found my HG skincare regimen with Ole Henriksen's Three Little Wonders. I never thought any skin care products could produce the results that I have seen with these products, but they have. And the key to this is to use the three products together, as they work synergistically. The truth serum and sheer transformation creme go on in the morning, and the invigorating night gel and sheer transformation in the evening.
I have oily, blemish prone skin which had patches of dryness here and there (cheeks, temples, around the nose), and have very open pores. I find that my pores become very congested, and my skin just feels very uneven due to both congestion and also the odd dry patch, particularly over winter. And sometimes exfoliation just doesn't do the trick. But after using Ole Henriksen's products, my skin feels like I've had a facial - every single day. I saw results within 2 days - my skin felt clear, smooth and less congested. And applying makeup is so much easier when you have a smooth canvas to work on, without those dry flaky bits showing up.

I have never used a serum before, so was not too enthusiastic about using this, nor did I expect any major results. However, I now use it every day, because it works! I apply a small amount in the morning after cleansing, wait 30 seconds for it to absorb, and then apply some sheer transformation creme on top. And I am left with skin which not only looks clear and bright, but feels so smooth and even, and makes foundation application an ease. The serum is a gel-liquid consistency, and smells like oranges. Not my favourite scent, but I won't complain considering the results I get. It comes in a convenient pump form, and I find that 1 pump is generally sufficient for my whole face - a little goes a long way.

Overall, I highly recommend using this serum as part of the regimen with the 2 other little wonders, as the results are truly amazing.

on 10/31/2015 11:13:00 AM

MY SKIN: Normal to combination, extremely prone to hormonal acne around my mouth, chin, and hairline. Significant acne scarring from teenage years. I have redness and flaky dry skin around my nose due to chronic dermatitis in that area.

LENGTH OF USE: My review is from July-end of October.

ADDITIONAL PRODUCTS: I bought this as a part of the "Three Little Wonders" set, so keep in mind that I used this in combination with the other products, which I am sure affect the overall result. I currently remove makeup with Nuance Cleansing Oil and coconut oil, then cleanse with Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash, then tone with a 1:3 mixture of apple cider vinegar/water with a few drops of tea tree oil. After this I use the Three Little Wonders (which includes this serum) as directed on the box.

I must stress that if you use these products, WEAR SPF 15 OR HIGHER (30 is preferable). Your skin WILL be more sensitive to sun damage, so you are doing nothing for your skin if you don't wear SPF. I use a sunscreen by Murad.

Honestly, this is THE ONLY set of products that have 100% controlled my hormonal acne, which is astonishing to me. My daily routine is now concealer only - I have no need for a full face of foundation and rarely wear it. Any pimples that do crop up are TINY and go away in less than a week. No matter how much I beat up my body or skin (i.e. late night of partying, bad diet streak, etc.) my skin looks great! The christening result was my husband's commentary that my "skin has been looking amazing lately." He commented that I haven't gotten a pimple in "forever." And it's true - my typical warhead-like whiteheads that crop up around my time of the month have not occurred since July. My scars are slightly less visible, but I understand this can take years to fade.

NOW why the 4 star review? The price of the full size products. They. Are. Outrageous.

-The Little Wonders kit, that includes 1 oz. of the Vitamin C Serum, 1 oz. their AHA serum, and 1 oz. of their Sheer Moisturizer is $72 USD without tax.

VS.

-1 oz. of the Vitamin C serum alone is $48 USD ($72 for 1.7oz)
-1.7 oz of the AHA serum is $48 USD
-1.7oz of the Moisturizer is $40.

So if you wanted to buy the "full size" of this regimen outside of the kit, you're paying $136 total, which is an extra $64 USD for an extra 1.4oz of product (wtf!!). If the Three Little Wonders kit is ever discontinued, I will never be able to afford this regimen at their price point sold separately. So I will, and have already, repurchase this serum as part of the kit as part of my "holy grail" skincare regimen, but how I wish the products on their own were a little more reasonable.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Upate 8/2013: Still love this.

Love love love. The charming barbiH inspired me to try this and I have never been happier with an OTC product. Had been using a different C but felt it might be irritating me (NuFountain C20 + B3) so gave this a test via Sephora sample. Looooove. Skin is smoother, softer and brighter and PIH is fading.

It has been a month and no clogs. Two pumps covers my whole face and neck including eyelids and under eyes. Oh and fine lines are diminshing too! FYI I am 44, acne prone, highly clog prone and use Taz in conjunction with this.

Anyway, don't let the slams on scent dissuade your trying this - it is more citrus infused with cilantro than Flintstone chewables.

on 5/11/2013 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Been using for about a yr and it hasn't bothered my rosacea. My skin gets more and more sensitive as time goes on, so c serums I used a few yrs ago now irritate me. Maybe SAP is the way to go for me since other types of vitamin C seem to irritate me now. Onto the results: this stuff makes my skin glow, look plumper, brighter, more clarity. I tend to get clogged pores easily and have seen mentioned on the board that SAP may be good for acne. Honestly results with this c serum are more noticeable than c serums I've used in the past.

on 12/24/2011 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is a staple for me. I have tried various Vitamin C serums (Skinceuticals, Kiehls, Avalon Organics, Silk Naturals etc) and kept coming back to this one.

This is an antioxidant serum meaning it it more of a preventative than a treatment. Studies have shown Vitamin c can boost sunscreen helping fight off free radicals and build collagen eventually over time. This is not a quick fix to deep wrinkles.

However in my experience there was a definite brightening effect within a few days of initial usage and long term it did even out skin tone. It wears well under moisturizer/makeup. Very light, almost watery texture with a citrus scent that fades quickly. I don't consider it moisturizing, but maybe an oily skinned person would

The ingredient list is impressive. It contains another powerful anti-oxidant - Green Tea Extract, Licorice Extract to even skin tone and Sodium Hyaluronate to moisturize and plump the skin. It is free from Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances/Dyes, Petrochemicals, Phthalates, GMOs and Triclosan. Although it is only 10% active C I find this strength works best for me as it does not irritate my skin at all. I also use it around my eye area.

Price is reasonable considering the quality and ingredients. It retails for about $50 for 1 oz at Sephora, but I get the 1.7 oz bottle from skinstore.com for $53 ($65- 20% coupon with free shipping)

on 6/3/2011 1:58:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Wouldn't have tried it on my own, and wasn't really quite sure what it did- but it was the 100 point thingy at Sephora.
Turn out I love it. It's a gentle citrusy scented serum. You only need a small dime size to cover face. I have been using it ever morning for 2 months.I didn't have any initial purging, though whenever I change products I normally get bad acne. What it does for me: brightens, evens, smoothes fine line texture out. Since trying this, I have switched over to Ole for basically everything. Skin type is oily, aging, I do Retin A at night.

on 5/14/2011 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have mixed feelings concerning this product. My skin has visibly improved: brighter, more even, radiant, etc. But it seems the product does not penetrate in the skin, kind of sits on top and feels sticky. When if I try to massage more (so skin can absorb better) or to put moisturizer on top, it starts to create white stuff, like little rubber pieces.. arg! And because of this I can only use it 1x a day, at night..and it's almost a sacrifice because sometimes it's very irritating feeling, like if I have not remove a thick white sunscrean.
I really like how my skin improved but I hate the way it feels on my skin (and no, I did not use too much). It's a pitty.